Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Toulon Design San Diego vs Ping Vault Voss

kaexo

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not familiar with those specific designs, but I did test those two brands before I recently bought my new putter.  The big thing I looked at when testing out these putters were the off center hits.  That was the reason I was looking at a new putter because my miss is off the heel and I felt like I was losing, what seemed like, a 1/3 of the distance off a heel hit compared to a center strike.  The styles I was looking at were the Toulon Memphis and Ping Vault Oslo.  

The Toulon putter definitely won on the style category.  I think their entire like is very classy.  The only thing is I wish was different was that the grip.  I'm not a fan of the Lamkin grip.  I thought the it had a good feel off the head, and I thought the ball rolled well on a center strike.  I was noticing a bit of difference in the roll on off center hits because of that insert not going all the way down the face.  I felt that it wasn't keeping the same constant roll.  With that, the ball wasn't staying on line as much as I wanted.  Granted it would be a bad strike, but I was hoping it would stray to far from the hole/line.

The Ping putter I was extremely easy to line up.  As soon as you set it down, it's set.  I didn't feel like you were second guessing the alignment at all.  The Ping PP62 grip isn't bad, but the PP60 is awful.  It felt like holding a triangle in your hand.  The big winner was the face.  The ball rolled off the face amazingly well.  I was also testing the Scotty Cameron Futura 7M during this test.  On a long putt, I could count the skips before the ball starting rolling because the greens were a bit wet.  You could hear the Scotty skip about 3 times and the Ping was 1 quick one.  This allowed the ball to stay on the line that I wanted.  With it being easy to line up, and stay on the line, I was more than impressed.  The final test I did was off center hits.  The way I tested this with all putters was I would hit a center strike to a distance, not a hole, and repeat with toe and heel strikes.  I would repeat this multiple times to ensure I wasn't adjusting for the strikes and to see if I could repeat results.  With the Ping they all ended up within a 5in circle of each other on long putts of say 20 feet.  I couldn't ask for better results.  

My personal opinion would be the Ping Vault because of the milled face.  I think it's one of the best one around.  That's why I just bought mine a few days ago to replace my Taylormade Spider Ghost S putter.  Please feel free to repeat that test for yourself.  I've found that off center test to be one of the most telling putter testing.

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – 5i: Taylormade P790
6i – AW: Taylormade P770
SW: Taylormade MG3 TW Grind
LW: Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Low Bounce
Putter: PXG Battle Ready One & Done

Archived