Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

3 wood fitting?

JTexGolfer

Has anyone here done a fitting specifically for their 3 wood? I love the feel of my Ping G400 3 wood which is set at 14.5 degrees with a Stiff Ping Tour 75 shaft, but into the wind I get very inconsistent distances with it and hit some shots that really balloon. A LOT.

I originally had a Ping Tour 65 in my driver, but switching from it to a UST ATTAS punch 65 S has gained me 12 yards of total distance according to my ShotScope dashboard. (278 vs 266 avg distance)

I know my fitter can get me some good gains, just curious if others have went in specifically for a fairway wood only fitting before? If so how did yours turn out.

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

Had one as part of my Cleveland fitting, but that was the only one.

If you use your Threewood a lot, or if it has an adjustable hosel, maybe get one or two shaft options with adapters so you can switch out the shaft depending on weather/course conditions so if you play a windy day is a lower launch shaft versus your standard shift.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

I have not done a 3w fitting as of yet, but I do have plans to. There is a fitting company near me that I just went through a Driver fitting and was very impressed with the results. I'm planning on going back for some further fittings this year. I will probably replace my irons next (oldest clubs in the bag), and then move back to properly gap my woods (I'll be looking for loft/shaft adjustments rather than new clubs as they aren't that old).

In the Sun Mountain 4.5LS 14-way bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: M2 10.5° :: Accra FX260
Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 19° :: Fujikura ATMOS Tour Spec 7X Blue
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS2 21° :: Mitsubishi Black 80G50
Irons:  :taylormade-small: P790 (5-AW) :: KBS Tour 110
Sand Wedge: :cleveland-small: CBX-2 54° :: KBS Tour 110
Lob Wedge: :cleveland-small: RTX-3 58° :: TT Dynamic Gold
Putter: :cameron-small: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: AVX

Yes just last week.  I came in wanting to work on a more consistent ball flight and work on gapping.  My current shaft was a low launch low spin from another fitter.  When I hit it correctly it was perfect, but can be as long as my driver.  I wanted a little higher ball flight and a little less distance (yes I said it).  The fitter brought two heads out and a few different shafts.  Got the shaft down to what felt good and gave the ball flight I wanted.  Every fitter is different and I feel it is crucial that the fitter LISTENS and doesn't build to what they want to build or sell that day.

:callaway-small:  Epic Flash SZ 9o w/ Ventus 6X

:callaway-small:  Rogue 4wd w/ ATMOS Red 7X

:755178188_TourEdge: CBX 20o w/ ATMOS Blue 7S tipped 1"

:mizuno-small:  JPX 900 Tour 4i - PW (standard lofts) Rifle

:titelist-small:  SM6 51o, 59o, SM7 55o   

:titelist-small:  2019 ProV1x

:tp-mills-1: Custom Ming

Yes just last week.  I came in wanting to work on a more consistent ball flight and work on gapping.  My current shaft was a low launch low spin from another fitter.  When I hit it correctly it was perfect, but can be as long as my driver.  I wanted a little higher ball flight and a little less distance (yes I said it).  The fitter brought two heads out and a few different shafts.  Got the shaft down to what felt good and gave the ball flight I wanted.  Every fitter is different and I feel it is crucial that the fitter LISTENS and doesn't build to what they want to build or sell that day.

Luckily the fitter I used for my driver is a great listener and worked with me for quite awhile to get the shaft just right for me. Glad to hear your results were good.

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

Luckily the fitter I used for my driver is a great listener and worked with me for quite awhile to get the shaft just right for me. Glad to hear your results were good.

Listening is probably an overlooked aspect.  Granted maybe a lot of players go in and don't really know what they other than straight, but a fitter should ask more questions than just throwing stuff together.  Prime example is ME when I first went in for a fitting, not really knowing enough.  I am 5' 11" with longer arms.  My big name fitter here in Denver put me in a +1" length iron shaft Xstiff shaft.  Had no idea until I compared to another club.  Ended up I hooked the ball a ton, lie on the club was too upright and would need to be flatter.  I called and asked and he stated its not that much longer in length and i will get longer distances.  I ended up finding a new fitter after that.

:callaway-small:  Epic Flash SZ 9o w/ Ventus 6X

:callaway-small:  Rogue 4wd w/ ATMOS Red 7X

:755178188_TourEdge: CBX 20o w/ ATMOS Blue 7S tipped 1"

:mizuno-small:  JPX 900 Tour 4i - PW (standard lofts) Rifle

:titelist-small:  SM6 51o, 59o, SM7 55o   

:titelist-small:  2019 ProV1x

:tp-mills-1: Custom Ming

I was fit for my Ping G400 3 wood and it was a great fitting. I had good numbers with the Tour 75X and then I went with the Accra FX series and it turned into a rocket. I am still able to hold the greens on Par 5s but get low spin numbers off the tee. I highly recommend getting a full fitting and find what is best for you.

Ping G410 LST 10.5 set -1* Flat Accra TZ5 65 M5

Callaway Epic Flash 15* set -1 Aldila ATX Blue 75TX

Ben Hogan FT Worth Hi 19* KBS Tour V X

Ben Hogan PTX Pro 4-P KBS Tour V X 2* Flat 4* loft increments

Hogan Equalizer 50* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 X 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 56* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 62* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

EVNROLL ER7 P2 Aware Tour
Scotty Cameron Newport2 Buttonback P2 Aware Tour Grip
Snell MTB-X

I was fit for my Ping G400 3 wood and it was a great fitting. I had good numbers with the Tour 75X and then I went with the Accra FX series and it turned into a rocket. I am still able to hold the greens on Par 5s but get low spin numbers off the tee. I highly recommend getting a full fitting and find what is best for you.

That is what I am looking for in a nutshell. I have never hit an Accra shaft but I hear lots of good things about them and I know they are pretty big on Tour. If my fitter can help me out half as much with the 3 wood as they did the driver I will pumped. Love the feel of the G400 head and my best shots show me the true potential that I want to unlock in it.

I've only done two fittings specific to my 3/4wood one was ping g20 and the other was 2016 m2. Both times I wanted a specific club and did a fitting to find the best combo

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

This thread has been interesting to read. I'm going in for a 3w fitting in 3 weeks for a 14.5* Wishon 919f/d (deep face 3 wood). 

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

This thread has been interesting to read. I'm going in for a 3w fitting in 3 weeks for a 14.5* Wishon 919f/d (deep face 3 wood). 

I have looked at deeper headed 3 woods as an option since I use mine primarily off the tee, but I have hit this Ping G400 better off of the fairway than any previous 3 wood. I had a Cobra LTD Pro that I hit better off the tee though, although it wasn't a particularly deep face.

I was fit for my Epic SZ and my 917f2. The Epic surprised me with the shaft choice as it was not what I would have thought. The 917 was easier in that I just pulled the Diamana Blueboard out of my 915 and went with that. Not really anything better than that combo when I got fit.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* Ltd. HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 TX

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

:Arccos:

I have looked at deeper headed 3 woods as an option since I use mine primarily off the tee, but I have hit this Ping G400 better off of the fairway than any previous 3 wood. I had a Cobra LTD Pro that I hit better off the tee though, although it wasn't a particularly deep face.

Same here, the primary reason I am looking into deep faced 3woods. I don't think I will mind the taller face off the deck either. For one I can't remember the last time I it 3w off the turf (maybe I should move back a tee?) and I really don't mind low, safe bullet if I do catch it low.

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

Archived