Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

ZZ-65 shaft in wedges ???

Badams69

Have any of you ever played or have any experience with ZZ-65 shaft in a ping wedge ?

Just got i210 irons, this shaft is ideal for me and just though "why not" in a wedge.

CFS is other consideration.

Thanks

WITB

Drivers: Cobra F9 w/Atmos

HOOK STICKS(hybrids): Adams Pro 20*/23*  hook sticks!🤓

IRONS: Bridgestone Tour Stage TS-202 (5-PW)  /  Yamaha Inpres XV Forged (5-PW)   /   Ping Eye2 (3-S)

WEDGES: Callaway MackDaddy2 52*/56*

PUTTER: Ping Zing2 /  Anser4  /  Bobby Grace LoPro   / Bobby Grace Fat Lady Swings

BALLS:   :srixon-small:  Z-Star    :vice:  Pro +

:ping-small:        :callaway-logo-1:   :cobra-small:   :1332069271_TommyArmour:      :bobby-grace-1:   :adams-small:      :cleveland-small: 

Thanks.  I need to find out if it has enough weight in the wedge version, too lite would be terrible around the greens for me.

The zz-65 is not a household shaft I guess.  Maybe I should call it Nipping KBS Project x ZZ-65

:  )

WITB

IRONS: Bridgestone Tour Stage TS-202 (5-PW)  /  Yamaha Inpres XV Forged (5-PW)   /   Ping Eye2 (3-S)

PUTTER: Ping Zing2 /  Anser4  /  Bobby Grace LoPro   / Bobby Grace Fat Lady Swings

:ping-small:        :callaway-logo-1:   :cobra-small:   :1332069271_TommyArmour:      :bobby-grace-1:   :adams-small:      :cleveland-small: 

2 hours ago, Badams69 said:

Thanks.  I need to find out if it has enough weight in the wedge version, too lite would be terrible around the greens for me.

The zz-65 is not a household shaft I guess.  Maybe I should call it Nipping KBS Project x ZZ-65

:  )

I think the CFS are great in my wedges. I would be concerned about the weight of the ZZ65's, they may be too light. I play Steelfiber I110 CW in my irons and don't find the CFS too light at all. I also don't mind having a different shaft because I use them for different shot. 

FYI- I play Ping I200's and Ping Glide wedges. 7 iron is my 160 club. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

GB13, that really helps !

Our yardage is pretty much right on.

Thanks for your input!!!

I haven't been as excited about a set of irons as I am about the 210s I just ordered.

I did it right this time - tried out most every iron imaginable and then once I chose the iron - eliminated from six shafts to two and then had a "playoff"

ZZ65 won out over AWT.

I actually called PING and was able to speak with a tech about this exact question today.

Turns out he says the CFS is great but that based on what I shared and my hopes for my wedges - that I would be better off in the AWT wedge shaft instead.

Said the CFS is on its way out - but ZZ65 won't ever be out of circulation for PING, but they don't make it in a wedge specific shaft - you just get the length and go from there and exactly what you said - it would not have the proper, or enough, weight

WITB

8 minutes ago, Badams69 said:

GB13, that really helps !

Our yardage is pretty much right on.

Thanks for your input!!!

I haven't been as excited about a set of irons as I am about the 210s I just ordered.

I did it right this time - tried out most every iron imaginable and then once I chose the iron - eliminated from six shafts to two and then had a "playoff"

ZZ65 won out over AWT.

I actually called PING and was able to speak with a tech about this exact question today.

Turns out he says the CFS is great but that based on what I shared and my hopes for my wedges - that I would be better off in the AWT wedge shaft instead.

Said the CFS is on its way out - but ZZ65 won't ever be out of circulation for PING, but they don't make it in a wedge specific shaft - you just get the length and go from there.

I honestly doubt there is a huge difference between the CFS and the AWT. They are both the wedge specific shaft designed by PING. My guess is the largest difference is that the CFS is made by True Temper while the AWT is made by Nippon. 

P.S. Good luck with the I210's! I just got my I200's but if the I210's are anything like them, you will not be disappointed!

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I think they are essentially the same irons.  I looked and looked for i200s in my specs used but they just didn't show up before the itch was too much for me to handle.

Yeah - you're probably right - essentially the same 

Like the KT-M, ZZ-LITE, ZZ-65, & all their other variety of shafts - lighter weight but super sturdy.  Meaning - those are very similar although technically different.

WITB

• 4 years later...

Zz-65 is great in a gap wedge, somewhat ok in a sand wedge and not my choice in a lob wedge, reason, ball flight is just too high. Amazing in long to short irons. I go parallel s300 in sand and taper tip s300 in lob. Each is slightly heavier than the zz-65 and each other and keep the ball flight down for those less than full shots. It’s all about lower ball flight with wedges for me. Could you tip a zz-65? Well, the first step is very close to the hosel anyway to have that stiff tip in the set, so it would be really close, but I have never tried. Maybe I will try one day. I love zz-65 shafts, maybe the best irons shafts I have ever hit