chisag

Care for Golf Shirts and Pants

That was me before I discovered Kentwool socks.  They are a little pricey, but they do have sales.  They last a long time; I'm still wearing socks I bought in 2015.
Will have to look into them. Thanks Kenny!

Sent from my CLT-L04 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

On 2/27/2019 at 9:48 AM, Kenny B said:

That was me before I discovered Kentwool socks.  They are a little pricey, but they do have sales.  They last a long time; I'm still wearing socks I bought in 2015.

I just got some Bombas Performance socks.  I like them better than my Kentwools.  Not sure on longevity yet, of course.

• Like 1

... After exclusively using Thorlo socks for the last 40 years I tried some Stridelines, a new sock company and so far I really like them. I can't comment on longevity as I have only had them a month but very comfortable and just the right amount of padding.

https://www.strideline.com

4 hours ago, CarlH said:

I just got some Bombas Performance socks.  I like them better than my Kentwools.  Not sure on longevity yet, of course.

I've seen ads for them but don't know anything about them.  What is different from Kentwools that make them better?

1 hour ago, Kenny B said:

I've seen ads for them but don't know anything about them.  What is different from Kentwools that make them better?

I just like the way they fit my arch better than I get from the Kentwool.  I had bought my wife a few pair of the Merino Wool socks for Christmas.  She raved about how nicely they fit her foot and suggested that I get some.  I tried some of the Performance socks and liked them and ordered more.  I'll be ordering some more ankle socks now that the season is around the corner.  Right now, I'm wearing the calf socks.    The Kentwool ankle socks that I have seem bulkier than the Bombas Performance.  Not to take away from the Kentwool socks, as they are very comfortable and cool, as well.

This thread is turning into something quite entertaining.  To be honest, I do 90% of the laundry for my family.  I lived alone for nearly 11 years before getting married and spent 8 years in the military.  Laundry is something I have been doing my whole life.  I also do the majority of the cooking.  My wife's career keeps her away often in the afternoons with city council meetings, etc.

I'm not attempting to thread-jack but I do have a question it seems some may be able to answer.  I find it very difficult to find pants that fit properly.  Or what I believe should be a proper fit.  I can't stand the "modern" low rise.  I have tried Bonobos, Under Armour, Adidas, JCrew, Dockers, Bills Khakis and Old Navy. 

I love Bills but the lower legs feel like straight up 70's bell-bottoms.  It's a shame they don't offer a slimmer fit with a mid-rise.  Bonobos, UA, Adidas and JCrew were all way to short in the rise.  I was instructed by a supposed "professional" to buy a larger waist size in the Bonobos to increase the rise.  This made the thighs way too loose.  I just didn't like Dockers all the way around!  The Old Navy pants were intriguing at first.  The fit was much better but the material and quality were awful.  After two washes, the crotch stitching unraveled from seam to seam.

Any suggestions?

46 minutes ago, sixcat said:

This thread is turning into something quite entertaining.  To be honest, I do 90% of the laundry for my family.  I lived alone for nearly 11 years before getting married and spent 8 years in the military.  Laundry is something I have been doing my whole life. 

... Amen sixcat. When my 2 boys were in their early teens and going through clothes like crazy, my wife told me she was overwhelmed by laundry, cooking and cleaning the house. Since we both worked full time I told her I would take turns doing the laundry with her but I was shocked how much time it took to gather the clothes, wash and dry them and then hang and fold them. MUCH more work than I had imagined and I took over doing the laundry full time. Like many men I really had no idea how much work it takes to maintain a house and was glad I took over laundry duty as well as cleaning the kitchen when she cooks. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Can you imagine having this conversation with the same people at the 19th hole😂

my 2c worth is I've always done jeans/denim inside out and dress trousers (pants) as well. Pants (knickers) are also best done inside out, together, and with some small amount of detergent applied to a key area😉 before putting in the machine. Results are exceptional to wear. 😍

In future though, and based on this thread, I will turn everything inside out.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

When buying golf clothes I have a few rules:

1. Nothing white.  Too hard to keep stains off, and everything goes in the wash together at our house

2.  Read the tag to make sure no special washing requirements, again because everything goes in the washer and dryer together. 

*edit* rule 3. Check the clearance rack first. 90% of my UA, Nike, and Puma gear was at 50% off or more at the PGA Superstore 

I see why it would make sense to turn clothes inside out for care.  My kids certainly do this with every clothing article, but not on purpose.  I prefer to leave my clothes outside out so I can avoid the extra pre and post wash steps.

Edited by golfingbrock

I have been washing all clothes inside out with fasteners done up on the gentlest cycle the washing machine offers for over twenty years.  Combine this with hanging all clothes to dry can add years to their lifespan.  Purchase better quality clothes and take proper care of them will save money in the long run.  This premise is true for most things in life.

• Like 2

On 3/6/2019 at 11:35 AM, chisag said:

... Amen sixcat. When my 2 boys were in their early teens and going through clothes like crazy, my wife told me she was overwhelmed by laundry, cooking and cleaning the house. Since we both worked full time I told her I would take turns doing the laundry with her but I was shocked how much time it took to gather the clothes, wash and dry them and then hang and fold them. MUCH more work than I had imagined and I took over doing the laundry full time. Like many men I really had no idea how much work it takes to maintain a house and was glad I took over laundry duty as well as cleaning the kitchen when she cooks. 

What a great husband! 36 years ago my husband and I split the tasks of laundry and dishes. He chose laundry and still does it. We had to purchase a number of new clothes while he learned, but so what. All of our clothes are washed on gentle. When we needed a new washer and dryer, I chose to stay completely out of the decision process and he's happy with his laundry toys. And I'm immensely appreciative.

• Like 4