Golfspy_CG2

2019 Official Forum Member Review-Srixon Z Star and Z Star XV Golf Balls

I played a 2 day tourney Friday & Saturday and followed up with casual game yesterday on Sunday. I played the Srixon XV in yellow most of these 3 days......I'd say 80% of the time. I sprinkled in some Yellow Prov1x's I had in the bag, and found a TP5x which I played for 3 holes. Of this, my "feeling" was that it "appeared and seemed to me" the Srixon XV was either spinning more with the short irons and wedges.......or something about the cover makes it appear so b/c I seemed to get alot more balls spinning back, or others I call "rippers" where it really ripped back and some then resulting in catching the slope and going away.

This was being seen again yesterday playing a muni in Norman called Westwood, greens were pretty soft and rolling nice nicely.......with the Srixon XV lots hitting and coming back, even on half wedge shots in the 85-95yd range, which surprised me. I did finally take the SrixonXV out of play on about #13 as it was appearing to show a form of a "crack" forming around the circumference of the ball, half way around which maybe resembled a seam line???? Odd, looking, showed to my playing partners and holstered it. Put the yellow Prov1x back in play and again noticed the ball stopped spinning back by feet but instead was hitting and generally staying near its pitch mark. Odd

I enjoyed the XV quite alot

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MGoBlue100 said:

My oldest son is a 2013 Alumni! I’m heading out of town for some golf vacay & then work, but we’ll have to figure out a spot and have a game in a few weeks! (I’m gone until 8/17!)

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

My daughter graduated in 2014 - perhaps their paths crossed.  My work life changed recently and I only have Sundays off these days and I try and play after church, if possible.  Would love to play sometime!.

I'm not finding any 'cashback' spin with the XV- soft greens yesterday and all shots stopping close to pitch marks, furthest was a 5 iron and that was about 15 feet away. Prov1's I found came back too much with some coming off the green.

I really need to try the normal Z star as well as the XV is good but there is def a firm/harder feel than a prov1

• Like 2

3 hours ago, perseveringgolfer said:

I'm not finding any 'cashback' spin with the XV- soft greens yesterday and all shots stopping close to pitch marks, furthest was a 5 iron and that was about 15 feet away. Prov1's I found came back too much with some coming off the green.

I really need to try the normal Z star as well as the XV is good but there is def a firm/harder feel than a prov1

Thus the need to try multiple balls as every golfer's angle of attack, spin, launch, etc. is different.  The same ball can perform totally differently for two different golfers!

• Like 1

I played a 2 day tourney Friday & Saturday and followed up with casual game yesterday on Sunday. I played the Srixon XV in yellow most of these 3 days......I'd say 80% of the time. I sprinkled in some Yellow Prov1x's I had in the bag, and found a TP5x which I played for 3 holes. Of this, my "feeling" was that it "appeared and seemed to me" the Srixon XV was either spinning more with the short irons and wedges.......or something about the cover makes it appear so b/c I seemed to get alot more balls spinning back, or others I call "rippers" where it really ripped back and some then resulting in catching the slope and going away.
This was being seen again yesterday playing a muni in Norman called Westwood, greens were pretty soft and rolling nice nicely.......with the Srixon XV lots hitting and coming back, even on half wedge shots in the 85-95yd range, which surprised me. I did finally take the SrixonXV out of play on about #13 as it was appearing to show a form of a "crack" forming around the circumference of the ball, half way around which maybe resembled a seam line???? Odd, looking, showed to my playing partners and holstered it. Put the yellow Prov1x back in play and again noticed the ball stopped spinning back by feet but instead was hitting and generally staying near its pitch mark. Odd

I enjoyed the XV quite alot

Westwood is a good little track - played there a few times this year due to my kids living in Norman. That's really weird about the cover - do you have a picture you could share? That's totally nuts. I haven't had anything like that happen or even close.

I have found the XV spin really well but I've not had them spin back too much. With a firmly struck 9 iron on down I can get spin back but only a foot or so. Glad you enjoyed it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Played two more rounds this past weekend with the XV and thought I'd update how it went. My first round was a complete and total meltdown of my golf swing, but it was no fault of the ball. My iron play completely left the States and resided somewhere around Fiji. Still loved the performance of the ball, especially putting and around the green. I did hit a personal best drive of 276 yards which was the highlight of the round.

My second round I tied a personal best score (89) and had two balls almost go in on chips (stupid flagsticks). I have a lot of confidence in this ball around the greens, it's just fun to chip and easy to control.

I'm loving this ball more and more each time I play.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 3

another round with the XV today and the course and greens are soft. Still no spin back - Prov1's spin back a lot in soft conditions - around the greens I'm still feeling they are 'firm' not hard but they are not giving me the 'feel' I get with Prov1's. I'm hoping the normal Z Star (when I find a shop that sells them) will give me the feel and distance I get with Prov1's but the durability and whiteness of a Z Star

• Like 2

another round with the XV today and the course and greens are soft. Still no spin back - Prov1's spin back a lot in soft conditions - around the greens I'm still feeling they are 'firm' not hard but they are not giving me the 'feel' I get with Prov1's. I'm hoping the normal Z Star (when I find a shop that sells them) will give me the feel and distance I get with Prov1's but the durability and whiteness of a Z Star

I bet the Z Star will be just what you are looking for. Such a good ball. Let us know when you get some!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, golfertrb said:

I really enjoyed reading your review bud!!

You had some phenomenal rounds with the Z-Star line!  I'm jealous.

Those scorecards are amazing!!!

• Like 1

Look what arrived today!IMG_20190730_164512.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Love 2

Played 27 holes today with XV at Lincoln Park West and East - the club championship is this Saturday and Sunday. Pins were tough - didn't make much on the West:

69 (Blue Tees)

FIR 6/13

GIR 16/18

Putts 32

East - hit it much closer and made some putts. Played in 55 minutes

29 (White Tees)

FIR 6/7

GIR 8/9

Putts 11

• Like 2

How many fellow spies have picked up a sleeve of Z-Stars or XV’s to try?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

I‘m still testing the XV against the MTBX...but...

from round to round.... The XV will be the winner... 

Why? I play much more aggressive around the greens, all shots into the greens.... my confidence, that this Ball sit where he‘s landing is nearly 100%! Absolutly great!

one of the best shots -under pressure (club championship last hole), 185m over a tree with the wind... 5 iron hop and stop within 1m... 

so much confidence....don‘t need the risk of a lop shot so often, If i miss a green. 

i buy more than a sleeve yesterday!!

great work, great reviews 💪

• Like 2

I‘m still testing the XV against the MTBX...but...
from round to round.... The XV will be the winner... 
Why? I play much more aggressive around the greens, all shots into the greens.... my confidence, that this Ball sit where he‘s landing is nearly 100%! Absolutly great!
one of the best shots -under pressure (club championship last hole), 185m over a tree with the wind... 5 iron hop and stop within 1m... 
so much confidence....don‘t need the risk of a lop shot so often, If i miss a green. 
i buy more than a sleeve yesterday!!
great work, great reviews

That's so great! And I can relate - now that I'm officially done with the review and I am so enjoying having just playing with with the XV. I got out late this evening and played with my son and another father and son at Earlywine North in OKC. I played an easy round with no stress - shot -2 34 and it was really great to have total confidence in my golf ball. I missed 4 greens but the XV chipped beautifully - I could have gone lower but the greens were painfully slow and I didn't adjust very well.

• Like 1

On 7/30/2019 at 4:49 PM, GolfSpy MPR said:

Look what arrived today!IMG_20190730_164512.jpeg

... I only have 1 round in with the XV but so far find it very similar to my favorite ball, the TP5x. Really pretty blown away by the performance and for me, the XV launches a little higher than the Z Star with a little less spin with everything else being equal. As stated in another thread, I eagled the 513yd par 5 on the 4th hole I played the XV and that always leaves you with a good feeling. Rest of the round was quite impressive as it worked equally well on chips/pitches, full shots and knockdowns and really well off the tee. 

... After all the great reviews here and this $10 for 6 ball deal, I ordered 5 dozen and mine came still in the store display just put in a box LOL. I always felt the Z Star XV was a rock hard ball, only playing a few in a practice round that I found on the course and really REALLY disliked them. I found a 2019 and while a firm ball, I was shocked at how soft it was in comparison to the older XV models so took advantage of the deal.  Again, 1 round isn't enough time to claim this is my new ball, but if the performance is the same in my next few rounds I will owe MPR a nice cold Kombucha if we ever get to play together. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, chisag said:

... I only have 1 round in with the XV but so far find it very similar to my favorite ball, the TP5x. Really pretty blown away by the performance and for me, the XV launches a little higher than the Z Star with a little less spin with everything else being equal. As stated in another thread, I eagled the 513yd par 5 on the 4th hole I played the XV and that always leaves you with a good feeling. Rest of the round was quite impressive as it worked equally well on chips/pitches, full shots and knockdowns and really well off the tee. 

... After all the great reviews here and this $10 for 6 ball deal, I ordered 5 dozen and mine came still in the store display just put in a box LOL. I always felt the Z Star XV was a rock hard ball, only playing a few in a practice round that I found on the course and really REALLY disliked them. I found a 2019 and while a firm ball, I was shocked at how soft it was in comparison to the older XV models so took advantage of the deal.  Again, 1 round isn't enough time to claim this is my new ball, but if the performance is the same in my next few rounds I will owe MPR a nice cold Kombucha if we ever get to play together. 

Nice assessment, @chisag.

Put my first Z Star ZV in play this morning. I still have a small pile of Q Star Tours (previous model year) to get through, but couldn't resist trying the new ball.

Truly, anything I say about a golf ball needs to be qualified, because I'm putting a ton more variability into my shots than any ball change would. But I had by far my best driving round of the season: I hit every fairway (only played nine) and averaged over 240. If you've followed any of my other threads, you may have seen that I spent last season sub-200 off the tee, so this is a huge improvement.

I was also impressed that the XV wasn't obnoxiously hard on putts, though undoubtedly some of that has to be attributed to the soft insert on the EXO Indianapolis that I'm playing.

Shot a 6-over 41, dropping my handicap to 15.1. I probably can't attribute the whole thing to the ball, but it certainly made a nice first impression.

• Like 5