Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
fixyurdivot

Phil Mickelson

Recommended Posts

Our Sponsors

Personally I'm a Phil fan and really like seeing him at the big events - even if for only rounds 1 & 2.  I suppose he simply feels that the special invitation/exemption unfairly keeps another, more deserving, player from his place in the field. Perhaps it is pride.  Still among the top 100 ranked golfers and has both game and experience for these venues... thoughts? 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/golf/mickelson-says-he-wont-accept-us-open-exemption/ar-BBZGn9o?ocid=spartandhp

Without Phil things might get a bit boring... like a box of chocolates, ya never know what you're going to get 😆.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Phil just wants to earn his place in the field and if he doesn’t do it on his merits he doesn’t want it handed to him. It’s no different than how he dealt with the presidents cup. He didn’t automatically qualify and he wasn’t playing well and didn’t want to be picked because he is Phil mickelson 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I get it, who really wants an invitation to something they don’t feel they deserve just based on their name? It means so much more to earn it for yourself than to just be handed it. I hope Phil has one more tournament in him, but if Phil isn’t sure, it’s not very convincing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh well, the Open hasn't exactly been a good venue for him anyway.  Maybe lightning will strike and he'll win The Masters.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the infamous words of Roy McEvoy, "The most democratic golf tournament in the world.  I mean, it's open, it's open.  Anybody with a 2 handicap or better's got a shot at it!  You just gotta get through a local and sectional qualifier.  And unlike Doral or Colonial or AT&T, they can't keep you out.  They can't ask you if you're a garbage man, a bean picker or a driving range pro whose check is signed by a stripper.  You qualify, you're in!"

I have never been a fan of the USGA giving special exemptions to anyone.........ever......under any circumstances!   It's the US Open.  It should be "Open!"

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lefty is a unique character, that is for sure.  Has always been overweight and needing a haircut, and beyond having the greatest short game ever, he's got a smoking hot wife to come home to.  He also owns the greatest golf shot I've ever seen, when he hit the 6 iron from the pine straw on #13 at Augusta in 2010.

Two of the most glaring deficiencies from his resume are that he never achieved #1 in the world, and he never won a US Open.  But I am sure Arnold Palmer wishes he had won a PGA Championship as well.  Phil just had the unfortunate reality of having played in the same era as the greatest golfer of the past 30 years.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love watching him with a short club in his hand. Watching him manipulate a ball with his wedges is pure magic. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Mr. 82 said:

Lefty is a unique character, that is for sure.  Has always been overweight and needing a haircut, and beyond having the greatest short game ever, he's got a smoking hot wife to come home to.  He also owns the greatest golf shot I've ever seen, when he hit the 6 iron from the pine straw on #13 at Augusta in 2010.

Two of the most glaring deficiencies from his resume are that he never achieved #1 in the world, and he never won a US Open.  But I am sure Arnold Palmer wishes he had won a PGA Championship as well.  Phil just had the unfortunate reality of having played in the same era as the greatest golfer of the past 30 years.

Agree.  This and Tiger's moon shot into the night sky are among the best.  Maybe Phil should jump onto the Champions Tour and run the table there for a few years before Tiger shows up.  He can still select a handful main tour events to play in while getting more Thursdays off.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Agree.  This and Tiger's moon shot into the night sky are among the best.  Maybe Phil should jump onto the Champions Tour and run the table there for a few years before Tiger shows up.  He can still select a handful main tour events to play in while getting more Thursdays off.

After watching Phil's presser from yesterday, I get the sense that he still feels like he can not only win on the PGA Tour, but have a really good season.  I get that sense from the fact that he keeps mentioned the speed of his drives, being 182.  I think in Phil's mind, that as long as he can maintain those numbers, then he knows he can compete on a level playing field with the best in the world.  So from that perspective I believe Phil will be able to compete on the PGA Tour for as long as he continues to hit it 315 when he wants to.  No one can ever question his short game, which has always separated him from everyone else, and is the reason why he's the 2nd best player of this generation.

I really never did address Phil's outspokenness about the USGA and a potential US Open special exemption, but I actually love his comments on both.  Him saying that he doesn't understand why golf is the only professional sport that is governed by "amateurs" is a direct shot at the USGA and I actually agree with him there.  The USGA is the biggest point of contention every year in the way that they run their biggest tournament.  The PGA Tour pros have been at odds with the USGA for quite some time, and the rift has only gotten worse in the last few years.  I am actually surprised that more PGA Tour pros haven't opted to just pass on playing in the US Open honestly, as most of them just seem to air their frustration with the USGA and how they set up a championship golf course.  Phil's comments about how he wouldn't take a special exemption even if it was offered could also be construed as another way of saying that Phil really doesn't see the US Open as a high priority, and based on his antics at Shinnecock with hitting a moving ball, perhaps he is saying that he'll play in it if he qualifies, but it doesn't appear to be something he will go out of his way to make an effort to get into if he isn't already exempt.  Phil skipped the 2017 US Open due to a conflict with one his kid's high school graduation, so I think he's trying to be a diplomatic as possible about his apparent frustration with the USGA by using any and every excuse to avoid playing in the US Open.  Honestly, I appreciate his comments, and his honesty with regards to actually answering the questions asked as best he can, without trying to come across as a total tard.  The USGA certainly has issues with regards to the US Open.  I mean, Phil could come right out and say something like, "I honestly have no desire whatsoever to participate in another USGA event, ever." but he's trying to take the high road on what could otherwise be a pretty hot topic that no one will want to touch.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Coach K always says the name on the front of the jersey is much more important than the one on the back. Golf may not be a team sport but the lesson remains the same. Names and personalities will change as the sport lives on.


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/6/2020 at 9:45 AM, fixyurdivot said:

Agree.  This and Tiger's moon shot into the night sky are among the best.  Maybe Phil should jump onto the Champions Tour and run the table there for a few years before Tiger shows up.  He can still select a handful main tour events to play in while getting more Thursdays off.

Off course, someone had to bring up Tiger!🐅

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/6/2020 at 9:45 AM, fixyurdivot said:

Agree.  This and Tiger's moon shot into the night sky are among the best.  Maybe Phil should jump onto the Champions Tour and run the table there for a few years before Tiger shows up.  He can still select a handful main tour events to play in while getting more Thursdays off.

I doubt we ever see tiger play any type of schedule on the champions tour

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/6/2020 at 7:27 AM, Mr. 82 said:

After watching Phil's presser from yesterday, I get the sense that he still feels like he can not only win on the PGA Tour, but have a really good season.  I get that sense from the fact that he keeps mentioned the speed of his drives, being 182.  I think in Phil's mind, that as long as he can maintain those numbers, then he knows he can compete on a level playing field with the best in the world.  So from that perspective I believe Phil will be able to compete on the PGA Tour for as long as he continues to hit it 315 when he wants to.  No one can ever question his short game, which has always separated him from everyone else, and is the reason why he's the 2nd best player of this generation.

I really never did address Phil's outspokenness about the USGA and a potential US Open special exemption, but I actually love his comments on both.  Him saying that he doesn't understand why golf is the only professional sport that is governed by "amateurs" is a direct shot at the USGA and I actually agree with him there.  The USGA is the biggest point of contention every year in the way that they run their biggest tournament.  The PGA Tour pros have been at odds with the USGA for quite some time, and the rift has only gotten worse in the last few years.  I am actually surprised that more PGA Tour pros haven't opted to just pass on playing in the US Open honestly, as most of them just seem to air their frustration with the USGA and how they set up a championship golf course.  Phil's comments about how he wouldn't take a special exemption even if it was offered could also be construed as another way of saying that Phil really doesn't see the US Open as a high priority, and based on his antics at Shinnecock with hitting a moving ball, perhaps he is saying that he'll play in it if he qualifies, but it doesn't appear to be something he will go out of his way to make an effort to get into if he isn't already exempt.  Phil skipped the 2017 US Open due to a conflict with one his kid's high school graduation, so I think he's trying to be a diplomatic as possible about his apparent frustration with the USGA by using any and every excuse to avoid playing in the US Open.  Honestly, I appreciate his comments, and his honesty with regards to actually answering the questions asked as best he can, without trying to come across as a total tard.  The USGA certainly has issues with regards to the US Open.  I mean, Phil could come right out and say something like, "I honestly have no desire whatsoever to participate in another USGA event, ever." but he's trying to take the high road on what could otherwise be a pretty hot topic that no one will want to touch.

Yes, Phil is still hitting the ball a long way, particularly for his age, but has always been horrible accuracy-wise.  Long and in the rough is not good for his condition.  His marvelous short game is somewhat overrated.  We get to see some miraculous Phil shots when he plays (because he has to make them), but he also makes a lot of mistakes with short game shots.  I saw quite a few during the west coast swing.  He hasn't been in the top 20 in Strokes Gained around the green since 2012.  He can't recover from bad shots as well as he used to.

I think Phil will play on the Champions Tour with a few select PGA Tour events just like most of the pros who become eligible for the Champions Tour do.  He said last year that he is not going to play at events where the rough is too thick because of his arthritis.  

If the Tour takes to heart what Dean Snell said about rolling back the ball, there could be more courses with slower, narrower fairways and thicker rough in the future.  That is not a recipe for Phil staying on the Big Tour.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am a fan of Phil. I always watch him participate at big events. He plays very well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...