Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

wedge sole maintenance ?

SWL

Hello all...first time poster here...

Had a iron shot spin back off a (helped by it being downhill 😉) par 3 but stop on the retaining wall (high above water).  Hit the next shot off the wall, which left some scraps/gouges on the sole of the wedge (Callaway Mack Daddy Forged).  Anything to be wary of?  Will they just "go away"?  Should I do something to smooth it out?

Thanks in advance, SWL 

Clubs get scratched as we use them and hitting off a retaining wall doesn’t help. No, it will not get better over time.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

sometimes really bad gouges can be hammered out a bit.

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

Depending on the finish you could sand blast them with extremely fine grit then polish it smooth. But depending on how aggressive you are, you will change the bounce and sole shape. I have a little area in the backyard that ironically has the perfect grit soil, so my wedge soles always look like they were just polished after a practice session! But really minor dinks, scrapes, and nicks won’t affect sole performance in any way.

Stats: 5'4", Male, R-Handed, Moderate Tempo, Driver SS 115mph

Driver: Taylormade SiM Max 9*, TM Ventus Blue 6X
3w/5w: Callaway X-Hot, S-flex Fubuki shafts
3h: Tour Edge EXS Pro, Smoke Black 80g 6.0
4i-PW: Mizuno MP-4, DG S300
Wedges: Titleist SM7
56* Wedge: Callaway Jaws w/ 12* of bounce

Ok, First don't hit off retaining walls!  You can repair the sole of the club providing you don't have to remove too much material. I have some before and after fix pictures below from my son's wedge after an encounter with some hidden rocks in the rough on a dog leg.  

First make sure you have a fine machinist file and match the angle of the sole of the club to the file. Take even amounts of material and file along the length of the sole and follow the contour. Do not file across the sole. Once you remove the scratch or get as far down as you feel comfortable then change over to fine scotch bright or 300 grit sand paper. Then work the shine back into the club. 

IMG_0428.jpg

IMG_0429.jpg

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

9 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Ok, First don't hit off retaining walls!  You can repair the sole of the club providing you don't have to remove too much material. I have some before and after fix pictures below from my son's wedge after an encounter with some hidden rocks in the rough on a dog leg.  

First make sure you have a fine machinist file and match the angle of the sole of the club to the file. Take even amounts of material and file along the length of the sole and follow the contour. Do not file across the sole. Once you remove the scratch or get as far down as you feel comfortable then change over to fine scotch bright or 300 grit sand paper. Then work the shine back into the club. 

Thats some impressive repairing! 

Driver:   :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

IMG_0428.jpg.b033016c77db3c52faf6bc6d6649657b.jpg
IMG_0429.jpg.5bd5f4363e46294a464bf56980d43aa1.jpg

Nice work. I am guess that you would want to make a caveat that if the wedge is plated using a file will remove the plating and may cause more playing to come Off over time.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

32 minutes ago, silver & black said:

I wouldn't hit off of a retaining wall...lol. I understand if you are posting the score for a handicap, but even then, I wouldn't damage a club because of it.... or risk injuring myself.

Yeah, I would have just taken the penalty. The rest of my round was s*** anyway, so what's 1 more stroke? 🤣

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT