Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

How to Start Playing Golf

I'm oddly struggling with something so I figured I'd throw this out to the group and get your thoughts.

I had a friend text me that he and his wife want to start playing golf, and he's asked me how to get started with regards to both learning how to play, and in terms of equipment.  They are both in their mid-forties and I think are just looking for something to do together, and probably recognize that it can be something they do for a long time once they're empty-nesters.  The funny part is they were my neighbors for 2 years (he's also military), and never once showed an interest.

In any event, I'm actually a bit surprised at myself at being a little uncertain as to what exactly to tell them.  My own start to golf was with a bag of cobbled together clubs, and playing scrambles wherein I would occasionally hit a ball in between sips of grandpa's cough medicine.  It wasn't until about 7 years ago that I truly caught the bug, became a 'serious golfer", and truly became concerned with getting better.

I'm inclined to do a little research for them and find a group beginners golf clinic as far as learning the game.  As for equipment, I was going to recommend a Callaway Edge box set to get started, or maybe finding some used sticks on FB marketplace, at least until they sort out their actual interest level and swing tendencies.

Good advice?  What would you tell them?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

I would recommend That they find a local instructor that does one of the intro to golf lesson series. Usually it is about 3 lessons where they teach the basics like how to swing, etiquette, rules, etc. they may also have sets for people to use during the class.

If they enjoy that and want to continue, Ask the instructor for some recommendations on clubs. If they aren’t sure but want to try, find something relatively inexpensive; like a starter set.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I’m with @cnosil and have them find an instructor to teach the basics...this is something I wish I would have done early on but then again golf was just one additional activity I did in my spare time and played with friends. 

As for equipment there’s lots of ways they could go. They could find a local shop that may sell “knock off” box sets or even one of the box sets from the big name brands like Callaway or Wilson. They could go to a place like 2nd swing Pga superstore and buy a decent used set pretty cheap and the buy used woods, hybrids, wedges and putter to fill out the bag. 

If they get the bug and want to get a little more serious then they could continue to take lessons and get fit into better equipment.

Imo the key thing is get them started with good fundamentals/basics and then see how big of a golf bug they catch or it it’s just going to be a week night here, weekend there type of thing

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I help teach 11-12yo once a month and every now and then when we find one that has potential their parents decide they would like to get involved. What we have found is that after 2 hours the kids will either get it or not. With the parents however it takes allot longer, so I would suggest a minimum of 5-6 30min lessons to start with. Why, because what we see is that even though some people pick it up after 3, most take 6+. The other thing is that like all golfers they get frustrated but you need to let them know that it will take time and to persist.

As far as clubs, we generally recommend that they buy a 6-7 iron so that if they want to they can practice at home or even at a driving range. When they decide they are going to give it a try we usually say to start with a basic set - you can get a set like the ones in the video below here for $150-200.

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001

My fiance just picked up the game in the last year or so (must have been me constantly going to play). A local course started a "women's league" which includes an hour lesson and about 4-5 holes this summer for 10 weeks. So far she is loving it. She is utilizing a box set of women's clubs that was given to her by one of her friends. It is just a starter set and is great until she wants to become a little more serious.

Initially, I would take her to the driving range and just have her hit balls. I tried to Educate her best I could on rules, etiquette, which club to use ect. When we played together on the course, I would try to go very late at twilight, or super early as to not have her pressured by other golfer. We played best ball if she was struggling on a hole but for the most part she was hitting her own shots. She has slowly gotten a little better and now has the "itch". 

In my bag:

Driver:  :Hogan: Ben Hogan GS53 10.5* Stiff Mitsubishi tensei blue Stiff

3 Wood: :Sub70: 939 x 15 deg. UST Proforce Black V2 7F4 stiff

Hybrid:  :Sub70: 939x Hybrid UST 680 recoil shaft stiff

Irons: :Sub70: 699 irons 4-PW  KBS tour 90 v Stiff 

50 Deg:Sub70: TAIII Satin

54 deg: :Sub70: TAIII Satin

58 Deg: :Sub70: TAIII Satin

Putter:Sub70: 004 Single Bend Masters Edition

Rangefinder: :CaddyTek: Caddytek V2

Check out my MyGolfSpy 2020 Forum Official Tester: Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

9 hours ago, cnosil said:

I would recommend That they find a local instructor that does one of the intro to golf lesson series. Usually it is about 3 lessons where they teach the basics like how to swing, etiquette, rules, etc. they may also have sets for people to use during the class.

If they enjoy that and want to continue, Ask the instructor for some recommendations on clubs. If they aren’t sure but want to try, find something relatively inexpensive; like a starter set.

100% agree with above from @cnosil

I have friends that were in similar situation, wanting to learn how to play. Got signed up with local instructor at driving range. The couple took series of beginner/fundamentals lessons series. Basically learned how to swing a  club and chip/putt through supervised instruction at driving range. After they were done with lesson series (~5 weeks) they began playing regular at courses in area. I thought it was cool they learned how to hit shots via instruction first and then started playing couples golf.

Many of us learned through trial and error without instruction on the course. I sometimes wonder if more people would not quit golf if they started with instruction/learning to hit shots first (driving range) before playing a round of golf? 

19 hours ago, cnosil said:

+1. I know lots of people who’ve picked up golf on their own, and very few will ever be good at it because their swing flaws are deeply ingrained - they’re unhappy with their game most outings. Whether you stay with or or not, learning the fundamentals from the start will pay off every time you play thereafter. There are pastimes you can teach yourself, but golf isn’t one of them for 90%+ of us.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

I'd add something even more simple here.  Of course lessons are the way to go to really understand things but they could also find a friend (you if you're close) and call a course and get the last tee time of the day.  Bring a bunch of crappy golf balls and go out and play a few holes with them.  Like with children, first step is to make them enjoy what they're doing and having fun.

Being last out on the day will allow you to not feel rushed at all.  Bring a few brews and have fun with them.  I'm sure you know enough to help them start hitting the ball.  Then have them take the intro lessons as everyone has stated above.  As for clubs, it is my uneducated opinion that at start, the cheaper the better. 

It's great that they came to a guy like you who actually cares enough to research to guide them in the best possible direction. 

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub-Zero  Project X HZRDUS Smoke

3 Wood: image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg M6 UST Mamiya Proforce V2

3 Hybrid: image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg M6 UST Mamiya Proforce V2

4 Hybrid : image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg M4 Stock Stiff Shaft

Irons: image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg P790 (5I-AW) - 2 deg strong - Nippon Modus3 105 Gram/Stiff 

60 Degree Wedge: :titelist-small: Vokey SM7 - AMT Black/Stiff

54 Degree Wedge: :cleveland-small: RTX Zip Core

Putter: :ping-small:  Sigma G Tyne Putter

Ball: :titelist-small: ProV1x

Tracked by: :Arccos:

On 7/9/2020 at 3:00 PM, den748 said:

I'd add something even more simple here.  Of course lessons are the way to go to really understand things but they could also find a friend (you if you're close) and call a course and get the last tee time of the day.  Bring a bunch of crappy golf balls and go out and play a few holes with them.  Like with children, first step is to make them enjoy what they're doing and having fun.

Being last out on the day will allow you to not feel rushed at all.  Bring a few brews and have fun with them.  I'm sure you know enough to help them start hitting the ball.  Then have them take the intro lessons as everyone has stated above.  As for clubs, it is my uneducated opinion that at start, the cheaper the better. 

It's great that they came to a guy like you who actually cares enough to research to guide them in the best possible direction. 

This is a great idea.  One thing you might want to try is Operation 36.  Start them close to the green, and if they can get down in four, move them back 25 yards.  Keep moving them back until it's too much for them.  Slogging around making snowmen is not always much fun.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino