Why do some people have reallllly long golf towels?

Because they want people to think they are a hoppy frood who knows where his towel is. 

• Like 1

WITB

G400 10.5 

M2 3HL

Titleist 818 3 and 4 hybrid 

Ping G15 5-gap

Vokey SM7 54 degrees 

Vokey SM6 58 degrees 

Bobby Grace Shiloh putter

It's about economics and compartmentalization. Go to your favorite department store and drop $5 on a very absorbent bath towel that will actually hold water for four hours, or drop $25-$30 on a brand logo'd washcloth. I then make a point to replace them every year, as they lose their ability to hold water. Besides, I get scolded if I borrow bath towels from the bathroom. 

• Like 2

Mizuno ST190, 9 degrees, Fujikura Ventus Black 6S

Mizuno ST190, 14 degrees, Fujikura Ventus Black 7S

Mizuno ST200 , 18 degrees, Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X

Miura CB 301, 4 iron, Fujikura Ventus 9x

Miura CB 301, 5-PW Nippon Modus 120S

Miura K Grind, 52, 54 and 58, Nippon Modus 130s  hand ground by Usher Golf

Miura KM 006 LH 

I don't know if the Frogger towel is considered a long towel or not, but mine ends up a muddy mess during a round in the rainy PNW

• Like 2

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 4/27/2021
Driver:titelist-small: TSi 2 - Graphite Design AD-XC 6S
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Matrix Ozik 85S
Irons:srixon-small: ZX5 5 - PW - Accra 95 icwt S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - Nippon Modus 105 Wedge
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Two Ball Ten S Tour Lines - 31"

14 hours ago, cnosil said:

A towel is a towel but ideally a longer towel is better since you can dip one end in water and dry with the other. While you can do this with shorter towels, the moisture tends to soak the entire towel.

This is correct and you’ll often see it woven through the sticks of solid players. When you’re a serious gamer, it’s equally important to have clean grooves and dry hands. A lot of professionals also detest bag chatter and the extra length helps caddies keep things nice and quiet.

• Like 5

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

IMHO you can't have too many towels. I got my half-dry/half-wet for stuck-on things, the nasty towel for the initial swipe of muddy clubfaces, then the not-so-nasty for final rinse, and the dry and buff for just-cleaned clubfaces and grips.  These are on the towel rings fixed on the bag.  Wash them about once a month whether they need it or not.

Then I got to have really big, soft one that is loose for the human (me) person parts, to get ready for the beer cart girl and on-course interviews when its hot and/or humid.  No one but me can, or should, touch this towel.   That's all I want to say about that.

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, downlowkey said:

This is correct and you’ll often see it woven through the sticks of solid player. When you’re a serious gamer, it’s equally important to have clean grooves and dry hands. A lot of professionals also detest bag chatter and the extra length helps caddies keep things nice and quiet.

This.

Towel technology has advanced quite a bit since the late 80's / early 90's when I really was a Hardcore Looper.  The best players in the club wouldn't be caught dead with something clipped to their bag.  If they had to ride, they'd grab one of our shop towels that the caddies all used.  They're not quite bath towel length (too long, will drag on the ground when draped around the clubs), and they're definitely not bath towel weight.  Someone joked about swiping a hotel towel, but it'd have to be a pretty awful hotel to have towels thin enough for a good caddy towel (I've stayed in a few in my day).

You want one end wet to clean the clubs and the other end dry for when your loop goes into Speith-mode and has to work the towel because he's losing his mind 🤣.  But seriously, you want a dry end to wipe down grips when it gets sweaty out.  

If it's hot, you'll keep the towel around your neck about 50% of the time (and always when you're at the green, so you can clean balls before putting).  If you're a righty, you'll keep the wet end to your right for easy club cleaning.  And your t-shirt will have a brown spot by the end of the round.  48% of the time, the towel will be draped around the bag on your right shoulder, and for one hole you'll put it on the bag on your left shoulder, and you'll wonder why the hell you did that (since you're not lefty).  If it's cold, you won't put it around your neck at all, because a wet shirt is no fun when it's 45 and windy.

The new waffle-weave towels really are awesome.  Light but absorbent, and the texture helps get dirt out of grooves.  I carry a fairly long one with the caddy hole looped around my alignment sticks, and the black ones look good for a while between washings.  

• Like 7
  • Love 1

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
4 Wood (17*) - :callaway-logo-1: Big Bertha S2H2 - RCH 90 "Firm"
7 Wood  - :callaway-logo-1: Big Bertha Warbird S2H2 - RCH 90 "Firm"
5i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
GW - LW - :cobra-small: F8 - N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour105 ( S )
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Black)
Ball -  :taylormade-small: TP5X Pix
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

What's in timeout:
3 Wood (16*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
4i - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )

1 hour ago, HardcoreLooper said:

If you're a righty, you'll keep the wet end to your right for easy club cleaning.

Dominant hand oriented wet end is also essential for efficiently catching, cleaning and returning the ball your loop often errantly tosses at you after marking.

Never.Drop.The.Bird.Egg.Looper - that kind of bad luck is likely to cost the entire team some money 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

4 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

This.

Towel technology has advanced quite a bit since the late 80's / early 90's when I really was a Hardcore Looper.  The best players in the club wouldn't be caught dead with something clipped to their bag.  If they had to ride, they'd grab one of our shop towels that the caddies all used.  They're not quite bath towel length (too long, will drag on the ground when draped around the clubs), and they're definitely not bath towel weight.  Someone joked about swiping a hotel towel, but it'd have to be a pretty awful hotel to have towels thin enough for a good caddy towel (I've stayed in a few in my day).

You want one end wet to clean the clubs and the other end dry for when your loop goes into Speith-mode and has to work the towel because he's losing his mind 🤣.  But seriously, you want a dry end to wipe down grips when it gets sweaty out.  

If it's hot, you'll keep the towel around your neck about 50% of the time (and always when you're at the green, so you can clean balls before putting).  If you're a righty, you'll keep the wet end to your right for easy club cleaning.  And your t-shirt will have a brown spot by the end of the round.  48% of the time, the towel will be draped around the bag on your right shoulder, and for one hole you'll put it on the bag on your left shoulder, and you'll wonder why the hell you did that (since you're not lefty).  If it's cold, you won't put it around your neck at all, because a wet shirt is no fun when it's 45 and windy.

The new waffle-weave towels really are awesome.  Light but absorbent, and the texture helps get dirt out of grooves.  I carry a fairly long one with the caddy hole looped around my alignment sticks, and the black ones look good for a while between washings.  

image.png.55aced322a302498c023987233e7403b.png

This looks alot bigger than the towels I see in the golf stores = huge.

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

On 1/5/2021 at 8:34 AM, MattF said:

The really long ones you're referring to usually have a hole in the middle and are called caddie towels. The hole in the middle is to be able to put it over a club so you don't have to clip it to anything.

When I would be caddying for someone I loved when golfers had this towel as it allowed me to keep one dry side and one wet side to clean clubs throughout the round.  

• Like 2

Driver: :ping-small: Ping G410 Plus 9° HZRDUS Smoke Yellow (S  Flex)

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 3 Wood 15° Ventus Black 7S

3 Utility Iron: :cobra-small: King Utility Iron 18.5° Project X HZRDUS (S Flex)

3 Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 18° Tensei Blue 70S

4i-AW: :taylormade-small: 2019 P790 Nippon Zelos 7 (S Flex, Std Lie, +1/2" Length) Zelos 7 Official Member Review (Here)

56°:  :vokey-small: SM4 56° Loft,  8° Bounce

60°: :macgregor-small: VIP 60°

Putter: :ping-small: Scottsdale TR Sanita B 

Shot Tracking: :Arccos: Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour BX

*Depending on the course and conditions I choose between my hybrid and utility iron the day of.

Follow My Super Speed Training Progress Below 103mph-112mph and Gaining

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KpCSY2sLk97yCmUyoW-aVzLLs_k4CuPR5708OrVw5gA/edit?usp=sharing

8 hours ago, ZMendle10 said:

When I would be caddying for someone I loved when golfers had this towel as it allowed me to keep one dry side and one wet side to clean clubs throughout the round.  

Did you caddy in NJ?  I was at Rumson Country Club for several years.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

What's in timeout:

22 hours ago, downlowkey said:

Dominant hand oriented wet end is also essential for efficiently catching, cleaning and returning the ball your loop often errantly tosses at you after marking.

Never.Drop.The.Bird.Egg.Looper - that kind of bad luck is likely to cost the entire team some money 🤣

I was like a hockey goalie back in the day.  Guys who fired it at you were usually accurate, but the ones who flipped it could toss it anywhere.

• Like 1

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

What's in timeout:

On 1/5/2021 at 6:04 PM, Rchang said:

Because they want people to think they are a hoppy frood who knows where his towel is. 

Just wanted you to know that I get it, Ford Prefect.  

• Like 2

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

10 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

Did you caddy in NJ?  I was at Rumson Country Club for several years.

I most certainly did. I have been a caddy at Raritan Valley Country Club off 206 for the past 12 seasons since I was 14.

Driver: :ping-small: Ping G410 Plus 9° HZRDUS Smoke Yellow (S  Flex)

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 3 Wood 15° Ventus Black 7S

3 Utility Iron: :cobra-small: King Utility Iron 18.5° Project X HZRDUS (S Flex)

3 Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 18° Tensei Blue 70S

4i-AW: :taylormade-small: 2019 P790 Nippon Zelos 7 (S Flex, Std Lie, +1/2" Length) Zelos 7 Official Member Review (Here)

56°:  :vokey-small: SM4 56° Loft,  8° Bounce

60°: :macgregor-small: VIP 60°

Putter: :ping-small: Scottsdale TR Sanita B 

Shot Tracking: :Arccos: Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour BX

*Depending on the course and conditions I choose between my hybrid and utility iron the day of.

Follow My Super Speed Training Progress Below 103mph-112mph and Gaining

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KpCSY2sLk97yCmUyoW-aVzLLs_k4CuPR5708OrVw5gA/edit?usp=sharing

I've always carried a long(er) towel that is draped between the top and middle club slots.

• Woods go in the top left, putter in the top right, 3-5 irons in middle left, 6-8 irons in the middle right, drape the towel over long/mid irons, 9i-PW and wedges in the bottom section.

The right end of the towel is a disgusting mess because it's wet and used for cleaning clubs, balls, shoes (post-round) and the left end is for wiping sweat and the length of the towel both helps with club chatter as well as giving me more space to wipe my face. Growing up in Texas, every round was sweaty, even in January.

• Like 2

Driver: :taylormade-small:SIM2 9* HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 70S
4-wood: :callaway-small: Mavrik Subzero (16.5*) with Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI X
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95cw Stiff
Wet/Soft: 3i-PW
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged, KBS Tour-V 110S
Hard/Fast: 4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S

52*, 58* :cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore Modus3 Tour 115
Putter: :ping-small: Redwood Piper; :cleveland-small: HB Soft Premier 11s

Ball: :srixon-small: Z STAR XV (but I'm not just going to leave a perfectly good ProV1/x laying around...)
Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer (2018) in black/white/copper

Using :Arccos: to keep track of my shots
:SuperSpeed:

All clubs RH

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review