Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

I’m talking about strategy quite a bit lately. Today I’m going out for 18, and my only goal is to par hole number five. Maybe I should think about a goal or some thing that we are missing on the golf course and focus on that that way I have something I achieve. 

Sounds good in theory to par whole five today if I do my goal will be met for the round what are the chances I actually par this hole?

I don’t recall making anything better than bogey on it.

20 minutes ago, Shankster said:

I’m talking about strategy quite a bit lately. Today I’m going out for 18, and my only goal is to par hole number five. Maybe I should think about a goal or some thing that we are missing on the golf course and focus on that that way I have something I achieve. 

Sounds good in theory to par whole five today if I do my goal will be met for the round what are the chances I actually par this hole?

I don’t recall making anything better than bogey on it.

If you have never made better than a bogey, what are you going to do differently?  Playing it the same as always doesn’t seem to be a good strategy.  As they say, doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is the definition of insanity.   Walk us through your plan. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

While setting a single goal of score on one hole why not have one goal of improving course management across all 18. Like I’m going to minimize the mistakes after a bad shot

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Just now, cnosil said:

If you have never made better than a bogey, what are you going to do differently?  Playing it the same as always doesn’t seem to be a good strategy.  As they say, doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is the definition of insanity.   Walk us through your plan. 

Well it’s a shorty par 4…. Funny story.  I wanted to hit a 3 iron off the tee, so I did.  I pulled it behind a tree, chopped out and ended up in the exact same spot I would have using 3 wood… ended up with a double.  I don’t like this hole.

Too dang hot today.  Played like garbage.

4 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Well it’s a shorty par 4…. Funny story.  I wanted to hit a 3 iron off the tee, so I did.  I pulled it behind a tree, chopped out and ended up in the exact same spot I would have using 3 wood… ended up with a double.  I don’t like this hole.

Too dang hot today.  Played like garbage.

This is exactly why playing a lesser club “to hit the fairway” is not really good advice. You can put a 3 iron in a bad spot just as easily as a 3 wood or even driver.   The caveat being that you are a fairly competent ball striker.  If you have 0 control over a club the advice would be different. 

How wide was the fairway where you were trying to hit.  Sometimes the s*** behind a tree just happens to be part of the shotgun pattern. 

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 minute ago, cnosil said:

This is exactly why playing a lesser club “to hit the fairway” is not really good advice. You can put a 3 iron in a bad spot just as easily as a 3 wood or even driver.   The caveat being that you are a fairly competent ball striker.  If you have 0 control over a club the advice would be different. 

How wide was the fairway where you were trying to hit.  Sometimes the s*** behind a tree just happens to be part of the shotgun pattern. 

OB comes in to play with driver.  I for whatever reason block the drive on this hole, or hit a huge slice the majority of the time.  Fairway slopes not favorable for a fader.  It’s an easy hole, I’m just terrible at it.

This is what I was trying to do… but with a 3 iron.  This spot is level with the green, anything further or right(er) you can’t see the bottom of the stick if it is in the back like it was today.

932CE053-3A26-4340-8D49-6033F496E36A.png

2 hours ago, Shankster said:

OB comes in to play with driver.  I for whatever reason block the drive on this hole, or hit a huge slice the majority of the time.  Fairway slopes not favorable for a fader.  It’s an easy hole, I’m just terrible at it.

This is what I was trying to do… but with a 3 iron.  This spot is level with the green, anything further or right(er) you can’t see the bottom of the stick if it is in the back like it was today.

Don't know how far you hit driver,  but the below triangle is at 270.   Looks like you have plenty of room to hit driver, even favor the left side to account for the slope and OB right.  You can lay back to where you are drawing  but you still bring the big bunker into play; not sure what you are saving as it looks like you have room to the right if you carry farther down the fairway.   Also not sure how big the trees are down the left so I don't know if you can target right side of far left bunker and not get in too much trouble if you hit the left side of your pattern. If the trees are too tall and would create an issue if you pulled,   your choice of laying back is probably a solid choice especially if you can leave yourself in wedge distance. 

Hole.jpg.888a74138b5be3faaaeabfd40d8ef622.jpg

Green is fairly small.   You mention not being able to see the bottom of the flagstick.  I say so what 🙂   Your target should be on the red line in the image below based on where the flag is on the green; especially if you are coming in from 140.   

green.jpg.005818fe711289fceec10f9ccf6c2376.jpg

The trees are 20-30’ tall.  The right edge of the triangle at that last tree just runs down into the junk.  It’s hard pan.  Driver always funnels down in the crap.  I’ve been in the middle of the fairway really close to the green one time.  At the 3rd notch from the end of the middle line you have drawn there.

Left of the trees on the left is ok… depending on where you are.  

this one just gets in my head.  Leave the fade wide open and ruin a good round.

Good Job!!   I know what you mean about a hole that seems to have you by the golf balls.   

There is a short less than 90* dogleg hole on the golf league course that is my nemesis.  5 or 4 iron off the tee threaded through a narrow opening in the trees and 8i to pw over a ravine to the green depending on how far to the backside of the dogleg the drive ends up.  Sounds simple but the thing is you need to parachute the tee shot or it bounces through the firm downhill fairway too long and into trees, too short and you cant get past or over the trees on the inside corner of the dogleg.  There is about a 20 yard length window that allows you to hit the green...I've either watched my tee shot bounce too far or come up about 5 yards short of clearing the inside trees more times than not.  I'll have to check the grint scores and see what my average is on that hole but I think it'll be closer to bogey than par.  

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

2 hours ago, Shankster said:

I did it @cnosil!! Finally pared this hole.  1 yard butter cut… best drive of the month. 😂😂 this was about 2 minutes after being stung in the ankle by a wasp. 

896974B1-D1C8-44B3-A671-0E2BE4F2B662.png

You just needed a little bit more adversity to help you overcome this hole! Just needed nature and the wasp to find that balance 😉 

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

3 minutes ago, HeathS16 said:

You just needed a little bit more adversity to help you overcome this hole! Just needed nature and the wasp to find that balance 😉 

I was lit up by about 75 Yellowjackets once while I was weedeating once my mom has a picture of my back, it looked like I had chicken pox… I was in some serious pain for like a day.  In my bed sick as heck, probably should have went to the hospital.

This one wasp… he tried to take me down, but I wasn’t having it.  Still hurt a bit… just needed that adrenaline boost I guess.  Haha

1 hour ago, Shankster said:

I was lit up by about 75 Yellowjackets once while I was weedeating once my mom has a picture of my back, it looked like I had chicken pox… I was in some serious pain for like a day.  In my bed sick as heck, probably should have went to the hospital.

This one wasp… he tried to take me down, but I wasn’t having it.  Still hurt a bit… just needed that adrenaline boost I guess.  Haha

75!?
Stinging insects man…I think I had a nightmare once where I was attacked by a swarm of wasps/yallowjackets. You lived my nightmare! But in the dream I threw them my churro and they left me alone, not sure that would work IRL though. 

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

27 minutes ago, HeathS16 said:

75!?
Stinging insects man…I think I had a nightmare once where I was attacked by a swarm of wasps/yallowjackets. You lived my nightmare! But in the dream I threw them my churro and they left me alone, not sure that would work IRL though. 

Yeah.  It sucked,  I was 16 or 17.  Those little dudes are nasty.  Whole hive or near or whatever they dwell in was super mad at me for buzzing the tower.  Needless to say, I never cut that area again.  Haha.

3 hours ago, Shankster said:

Yeah.  It sucked,  I was 16 or 17.  Those little dudes are nasty.  Whole hive or near or whatever they dwell in was super mad at me for buzzing the tower.  Needless to say, I never cut that area again.  Haha.

Got swarmed myself mowing a friend's lawn for some extra money in high school. Thankfully I only got about 6 stings I can imagine getting much more.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

I just got lit up two weeks ago. Ran over an underground nest mowing. Those buggers got my left ankle. Bad part is I'm allergic. Had to put a snake bite suction cup on them to suck the poison out then take benadryl. Still swelled up , hurt, then itched like a bastard for a week. Good news. It didn't stop me from golfing. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

32 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I just got lit up two weeks ago. Ran over an underground nest mowing. Those buggers got my left ankle. Bad part is I'm allergic. Had to put a snake bite suction cup on them to suck the poison out then take benadryl. Still swelled up , hurt, then itched like a bastard for a week. Good news. It didn't stop me from golfing. 

Yikes.  Glad you are ok.