Short game style

What’s your go to shot/ club around the greens?

bump and run, high flop and etc. 

WITB

Driver- SIM2

3wood- Mizuno ST190( don’t like)

2hybrid- Taylormade Rocketballz tour 

4-PW- Srixon ZX7 

49- Vokey SM7

54- Jaws5 

62- PM grind 

Putter- triple track two ball 

Depends....What kind of lie do I have?  What type of grass am I dealing with?  How much carry is needed?  How much green to work with?  Sand trap or other issue in play? Does my play need to be aggressive to win the hole or am I more concerned with not making bogey?

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

What @CarlH said.  However, under usual, normal, and best of lies conditions, I use my Callaway PM Grind 60º for most shots around the green.  I know how far the ball will roll on the greens when I play a low, medium, and high shot.  So, I know how far into the green, considering slope, I need to hit the ball.  

I will always consider other clubs given the conditions of the moment, but most of my practice is with my 60º.  I have confidence with those shots.  I have practiced bump and runs over and over and over, and apparently I am not able to judge the strike on the ball and roll on the green very well.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

70/30 PW 44°

75/25  48° wedge

80/20  54° wedge

90/10  58° wedge

I am very inconsistent with a running type shot.  So rather than try to learn 15 other things. I use mostly carry to get the ball to the hole… a lot of times to my demise.  I do allow for some roll… 

I have been trying to add a running shot in, but the Bermuda fairways are not very conducive for it… unless of course you happen to land on the section mowed down grain, but even then it’s like landing on grip tape with wedges.

Scraping it around the green is usually the best part of my game. I primarily use a Vokey 58/4. I like to play the ball back in my stance to get some bite and let it roll. Classic Penick advice, get the ball rolling as soon as possible. Because this wedge has so little bounce is really versatile and I can play the high shot too, and everything in-between.

I do use my Vokey 54/10 out of bunkers, this club is automatic out every time. Tons of confidence in it. And I have this nice little runner I play with a 7 iron off tight lies. The only good lesson I ever got as a teenager was how to play that shot.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

2 hours ago, CarlH said:

Depends....What kind of lie do I have?  What type of grass am I dealing with?  How much carry is needed?  How much green to work with?  Sand trap or other issue in play? Does my play need to be aggressive to win the hole or am I more concerned with not making bogey?

I'm with Carl on this. But if its your basic chip around the green I use a 50*.  Typical shot is to land it half way to the hole and roll up tight to the pin. Its how I was taught many years ago. Make one club be able to do anything. Anything tricky might require my 60*. I typically just use my 56* out of the sand.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

Depends too. I rather use my putter or 5 iron if it’s a simple  chip.   The LW is very versatility Carry a 54 and 62 for basic flop and pitch.   If it’s a sloping chip with green to work with I do the H&H with the wedge too( bump and run) 

I get to carry away with the wedges when putter or chipping with an iron is the better option 

One round I use wedge exclusively.  Putter belly wedge.  Flops. And B&R 

I think that was fun but clearly I had better options 

Edited by Haro

So many variables around the green, if its a standard chip/pitch I'm using the 50* and getting it rolling as soon as possible.  But I always want to go with the flop shot since its more fun.  

• Driver-  Ping G410 Plus 9*
  • Fairway- Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 3 Wood 16.5*
  • Hybrid- Tour Edge Hot Launch C521 19* & 22* 
  • Irons-PXG 0211 DC, 5-GW
  • Wedges-  Sub70 286 54* & Sub70 JB 58*
  • Putter- PXG Battle Ready Mustang 
  • Ball- Snell MTB-X Maxfli Tour X
  • Grips- Golf Pride CP2 Wrap Midsize
  • Bag- Ping Hoofer USA Edition 
  • Arccos 
1 hour ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I'm with Carl on this. But if its your basic chip around the green I use a 50*.  Typical shot is to land it half way to the hole and roll up tight to the pin. Its how I was taught many years ago. Make one club be able to do anything. Anything tricky might require my 60*. I typically just use my 56* out of the sand.

Exactly my same shot... halfway to the hole, except when the pin is close. However, I'm using my 60º.   My guess is that the difference might be the grass we play on, the ball we play, and my L.O.F.T.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

1 hour ago, Riverboat said:

I can play the flop pretty well, but if I have the choice, I'm getting it rolling asap. Reason is simple...a bad runner still leaves a makeable putt pretty much every time. The flop requires a much longer swing, so errors get magnified.  I get up and down more than pretty much anyone I play with and I play with a lot of good players, and I'm convinced most players (even the good ones who are married to their lob wedge) would be much better off NOT immediately reaching for the highest lofted wedge they have. 

Nope, not me!  I'm still married to my lob wedge.  I can play a flop shot, but I don't consider any normal shot I have around the green with my 60º a flop shot.  My shots are low, medium and high with high being no higher than about 8 feet.  Backswing is no higher than club parallel; I vary height by ball position.  9 out of 10 times I'm closer with my 60º than any other club.  

29 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Nope, not me!  I'm still married to my lob wedge.  I can play a flop shot, but I don't consider any normal shot I have around the green with my 60º a flop shot.  My shots are low, medium and high with high being no higher than about 8 feet.  Backswing is no higher than club parallel; I vary height by ball position.  9 out of 10 times I'm closer with my 60º than any other club.  

I like to play up in the air myself.  It's easier to read the air than the contour. 

I would like a lower bounce lob wedge than I'm using now, though. 

Those all purpose dual bounce grinds aren't ideal for lob wedges.

I prefer no trailing edge protrusion at all for soft little shots around the green,

but a little bounce helps with full swings.

And I like a matching set, but Edison doesn't do 3 or 4º bounce like I'd like.

Still, I like the forgiveness of their head shape.

I guess that's why they have a fourteen club limit.  

So that one is always missing something.

Speaking of matching sets, my usual set makeup of matching numbered irons and matching wedges,

not ordering the PW and GW that match the irons, is getting harder and harder to do.

It's hard to find a weak enough lofted 9-iron to go straight to the add-on wedge set.

I did it this time with effort, as I have been doing, but if I ever more on to another set,

it might not be possible to do by then.

Edited by BostonSal

Louisville Golf Persimmon___2, 4, 5, 7-woods;    Epon AF-906___driving iron;   Titleist T100 5, 6, 7, 8, 9-irons; 

Titleist T100S___48°;     Edison 2.0___53º;     Titleist SM-9 (T)___58º;   Tad Moore Otto Hackbarth___putter;   

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

For me a typical shot around the green I use either my PW or 52. I prefer the bump and run rather than trying to flight the ball around the greens. I've been using my 52 more in recent rounds after watching a tip on the gram from Mike Bury. It definitely works for me and the balls I use. Just consistent roll out. 

If playing away from home I try to get there with plenty of time to check out the practice green and roll out etc. 

tenor (1).gif

I like the KISS method.  Find the shot that gives me the best shot at solid contact, and an expected result.  the  Less manipulation and precision  needed, the better.  I'd rather have to worry about reading a green with a bump and run than skulling it into the rough. 

Edited by Perrymr
spelling error

Lefty

Epic flash 9*+2* HZRDS smoke stiff 60g

T100s/200 combo project x LZ 6.5  125g std length 2* upright 

Whichever one was feeling/working better in my warm up. I only give myself the options of my putter, 8 iron (34 degrees), 48 degree, and 58 degree. And my warm up lets me know which one feels/works best given the conditions and situations that day. 

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

I haven't had a style for a long time and I think at times it hurt me.  Arccos has me at -0.3 in strokes gained compared to a 0 hcp (putting at -3.7).  I think it's possible my short game is a little worse and my putting a little better than that because I don't adjust pin positions.  Either way, I don't get up and down enough.  I was a little further from the hole on average than a 0 hcp, but not by more than a few feet, so I went from a 60* that I mostly use to a 58* and I'm trying to do more of the Stricker style shot the majority of the time.  I even swapped wedges to a Vokey 58 10S a week or so ago as I've had Arccos for about a month.  So we'll see if that improves things over the next few months.

Ogio Woode 8 Hybrid Stand Bag
PXG 0811 X Gen4 @ 6* - Fujikura Motore X F3 7X
PXG 0211 @ 13.5* - Fujikura Motore X F1 8X
PXG 0311 XP Gen3 3i-PW - PX LZ 6.5
PXG 0311 Forged 54/60 - PX LZ 6.5
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2