Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Stealth

revkev

My club is having a TMag demo/fitting day.

i signed up to try the Stealth - why not?

I will let everyone know and probably pop the aero tech in it, too.   

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Interested in hearing your thoughts.  

@bobcat would probably tell you to go with the SLDR instead.   TXG also seems to think the SLDR might be a good alternative

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

Interested in hearing your thoughts.  

@bobcat would probably tell you to go with the SLDR instead.   TXG also seems to think the SLDR might be a good alternative

But he’s an sldr-c guy not the “original” sldr 😀

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I finally got to spend some time with a stealth: my findings were basically what @cnosilhas been saying, consistent ball speeds across the entire face. Faster or longer than my g410 LST? No. More forgiving on miss hits? I’d say yes, depending on your definition of forgiving. If that means maintaining your ballspeed regardless of strike quality, then yes, one of the most forgiving drivers I’ve had an opportunity to hit. I still wonder how that face would hold up to my swing over 3+ seasons…

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

1 hour ago, Micah T said:

I finally got to spend some time with a stealth: my findings were basically what @cnosilhas been saying, consistent ball speeds across the entire face. Faster or longer than my g410 LST? No. More forgiving on miss hits? I’d say yes, depending on your definition of forgiving. If that means maintaining your ballspeed regardless of strike quality, then yes, one of the most forgiving drivers I’ve had an opportunity to hit. I still wonder how that face would hold up to my swing over 3+ seasons…

I’m pretty sure face testing goes thru more shots than a golfer will hit in 3 seasons

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

On 1/28/2022 at 7:30 PM, RickyBobby_PR said:

I’m pretty sure face testing goes thru more shots than a golfer will hit in 3 seasons

They probably tested the face slots on the irons a decent amount too. Those also had problems when they first came out. Even if the face itself doesn't crack or break, you can assume the performance of the coating will degrade over time. Not sure why you would want to open up another variable unless the Stealth thoroughly beat everything else in a fitting. It seems metal faces get hotter over time until they break, does carbon fibre behave the same way? 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

5 minutes ago, BMart519 said:

They probably tested the face slots on the irons a decent amount too. Those also had problems when they first came out. Even if the face itself doesn't crack or break, you can assume the performance of the coating will degrade over time. Not sure why you would want to open up another variable unless the Stealth thoroughly beat everything else in a fitting. It seems metal faces get hotter over time until they break, does carbon fibre behave the same way? 

There’s always going to be some sort of defect in manufacturing, which we see across all kind of products. Which is why I would be curious to see all the heads from the demo day and not one that was potentially cherry picked for the post.

For the next two years or so I’m ok with taking the chance with that variable because they are going to warranty replace it. By the time the warranty period is over I will have likely moved on or would see where things are with what the company would do afterwards.

Im curious about how the change in material impacts the hotness of the face over time. 

Already ordered mine.

What's In the Bag

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5° driver w/stiff Xcaliber Avalon 5 shaft
Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 3-wood w/stiff Xcaliber Mystic 5 shaft
Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 3-hybrid w/stiff Xcaliber RT shafts shaft
Malby KE4 Max irons with reg Xcaliber RT shafts
Callaway Jaws full toe 60° wedge with Project X Catalyst 80 wedge graphite shaft
Odyssey White Hot OG #7 CH stroke lab putter
Callaway Org 14 bag

I'm not over the hill.  I'm on the back nine.

My driver fitting is scheduled for Feb 18. The Stealth series is on my short list, but I do have reservations about the durability of the coating on top of the carbon face. I can't see how the fine grooves in a plastic coating would retain their (apparently very important) effectiveness over years of use. For this reason this TM woods fan would need the Stealth series driver to clearly outperform the competition for me to buy one. 

Driver: :titelist-small: TSR3 w/ LA Golf DJ Signature Series (65-4)

3w: :srixon-small: ZX MKII w/ Graphite Design AD DI-7 XS

5w: :srixon-small: ZX MKII w/ Graphite Design AD DI-7 XS

7w: :srixon-small: ZX MKII w/ Graphite Design AD DI-7 XS

4i-GW: :mizuno-small: JPX921 Forged w/ Nippon Modus Tour 105 S

54º: :vokey-small: SM9 D Grind w/ Nippon Modus Tour 105 S

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER5vB w/ LA Golf P-Series SOHO 

Ball: :titelist-small: ProV1x  play #45

Ball mark: Kraken Golf - Revolver, Weight Plate, Turntable

Tracked and scored by :Arccos: 

11 minutes ago, Dog Faced Pony Soldier said:

My driver fitting is scheduled for Feb 18. The Stealth series is on my short list, but I do have reservations about the durability of the coating on top of the carbon face. I can't see how the fine grooves in a plastic coating would retain their (apparently very important) effectiveness over years of use. For this reason this TM woods fan would need the Stealth series driver to clearly outperform the competition for me to buy one. 

Deleted

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

So I'm back from the demo day/fitting.  The nice thing about these being held at a private club is that they become more of a fitting.  I had a 30 minute time slot but we spent closer to 50 minutes trying shaft/head combos.  The auto flex in my SIM 2 brought lots of attention, all four of the reps needed to have a look at it and I let one of them hit it because he hadn't as yet.  

Probably the biggest take away from the day was that the auto flex is producing too much spin at this point - I've been concerned about that for a while and this fitting proved it.  We tried a large number of shaft/head combinations.  Like with the Sim 2 Max we found a stock combo that produced very nice results - 3 mph ball speed increase over my current set up, similar launch, 600 mph less spin, 9 extra yards total distance (that's always hypothetical IMO) 7 yards additional carry.  

Different look for sure - not sure that I loved it - but the feel and the sound were the same and very consistent distance on my misses - great dispersion or I should say almost no dispersion at all - the guy remarked at how consistent I was - I wish I had time to play golf. 😞

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

3 hours ago, revkev said:

So I'm back from the demo day/fitting.  The nice thing about these being held at a private club is that they become more of a fitting.  I had a 30 minute time slot but we spent closer to 50 minutes trying shaft/head combos.  The auto flex in my SIM 2 brought lots of attention, all four of the reps needed to have a look at it and I let one of them hit it because he hadn't as yet.  

Probably the biggest take away from the day was that the auto flex is producing too much spin at this point - I've been concerned about that for a while and this fitting proved it.  We tried a large number of shaft/head combinations.  Like with the Sim 2 Max we found a stock combo that produced very nice results - 3 mph ball speed increase over my current set up, similar launch, 600 mph less spin, 9 extra yards total distance (that's always hypothetical IMO) 7 yards additional carry.  

Different look for sure - not sure that I loved it - but the feel and the sound were the same and very consistent distance on my misses - great dispersion or I should say almost no dispersion at all - the guy remarked at how consistent I was - I wish I had time to play golf. 😞

Rev, what was your baseline spin number?

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

On 1/28/2022 at 5:33 PM, Micah T said:

Curious what you guys that have tested it think of the sound.  Thus far it seems most are pleasantly surprised... think it was DJ who said it sounded like titanium.

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

Curious what you guys that have tested it think of the sound.  Thus far it seems most are pleasantly surprised... think it was DJ who said it sounded like titanium.

I am not the best judge of sound from what people tell me however it sounds very similar to others on the market. It may be a little higher pitched, that would be the only difference. If you didn't know it was a carbon face you would listen and hear titanium. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

20 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Rev, what was your baseline spin number?

3300 - 

While I need a bit more spin with my slower SS that's too much - I got down to 2,800 with a heavier shaft and higher kick point and still kept the launch angle at 14 degrees.  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

7 minutes ago, revkev said:

3300 - 

While I need a bit more spin with my slower SS that's too much - I got down to 2,800 with a heavier shaft and higher kick point and still kept the launch angle at 14 degrees.  

Just need to shave off another 500+ and your in Trackman's optimum range (whatever that means).  I've been looking at this information and comparing it to my fitting prescription.  It looks like my fitter was pretty spot on.  Still, I'd love to gain some driver distance w/o giving up accuracy.  I'm finding FIR's are the most important factor in my low scores.

Weren't you previously playing the G400 LST?  That one is purported to be PING best ever for better than average ball striker accuracy.  I sure wish MGS Lab would do a robot test amongst the most popular drivers showing performance of sweet spot and say a 50 cent piece radius toe/heel/crown/sole strikes.

30 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Just need to shave off another 500+ and your in Trackman's optimum range (whatever that means).  I've been looking at this information and comparing it to my fitting prescription.  It looks like my fitter was pretty spot on.  Still, I'd love to gain some driver distance w/o giving up accuracy.  I'm finding FIR's are the most important factor in my low scores.

Weren't you previously playing the G400 LST?  That one is purported to be PING best ever for better than average ball striker accuracy.  I sure wish MGS Lab would do a robot test amongst the most popular drivers showing performance of sweet spot and say a 50 cent piece radius toe/heel/crown/sole strikes.

I’m actually right about where I should be according to that chart - I’m on the high end of average SS.

I’ve had a few fitters tell me that I shouldn’t mess around too much trying to knock spin down because I could loose more yardage if I list my positive AoA than I’d gain knocking off some spin - just keep

it below 3,000 seems to be the consensus 

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

32 minutes ago, d.lama said:

I saw a picture of a driver face that had been used at the PGA show for demo. The face did not look good, think of how the old wood faces looked after a year of use.

Edit: Found image

TM_Stealth_Driver_FaceUse.jpg

There been discussion in the linked thread since Sunday about it. Also includes feedback from conversations had with mgs hq staff and what they are seeing from the heads used in most wanted testing 

Thanks @RickyBobby_PR Anyone wanting to discuss the durability of hte face is free to do so in the thread linked above.  Let's try to keep this on RevKev's and others actual  performance of the driver

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

12 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

I didn’t mind it at all: but I game a Ping g410 LST 😂

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

Granted the numbers are a bit skewed because having taken lessons and playing a lot more since I got my mizuno. Shaft in old driver was a 5R ATMOS and I could only control it with a swing in the 90s. Producing a lot of heel strikes. New setup is Stealth 9 degree, Smoke Blue 6S. Consistently getting 101-102 mph swing speed with trackman and 2100-2300 spin. Normal miss with old was a slice, new setup had one push but mostly draw during fitting. Felt very forgiving. Now just need to work on AOA as it was about -.5 for most shots.

image.jpeg

Dan

49 minutes ago, Dan013 said:

Granted the numbers are a bit skewed because having taken lessons and playing a lot more since I got my mizuno. Shaft in old driver was a 5R ATMOS and I could only control it with a swing in the 90s. Producing a lot of heel strikes. New setup is Stealth 9 degree, Smoke Blue 6S. Consistently getting 101-102 mph swing speed with trackman and 2100-2300 spin. Normal miss with old was a slice, new setup had one push but mostly draw during fitting. Felt very forgiving. Now just need to work on AOA as it was about -.5 for most shots.

image.jpeg

@Dan013 How was the "Taylormade Official Fitting" experience at Golf and Ski, Hudson?  I live near there and I'm curious.  Send me a message is you don't feel comfortable talking about it over this post.   I've had there "Callaway Performance Center" fitting which was so-so.

• 99422724_Screenshot2021-12-24001914.jpg.e67bdb8f7e6eea7baa71ca677594bbde.jpgEpic Max LS 11.5° (10.5°+1) w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6 stiff
  • 99422724_Screenshot2021-12-24001914.jpg.e67bdb8f7e6eea7baa71ca677594bbde.jpgEpic Flash 3 Wood 17° (15°+2) w/ Project X Even Flow Green 60 stiff
  • 943183396_Screenshot2021-12-24001914.jpg.391f8ed5e36869c949eb3a241d2a750d.jpgSuper Hybrid 21° (20°+1) w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 80 stiff
  • 518011180_Screenshot2021-12-24001914.jpg.f52e8c7ce28e9a854c65b04b28450163.jpgRogue Hybrid 5 (24°) w/ Aldila Synergy 60 HYB Graphite stiff
  •   Screenshot 2021-12-24 002411.jpg2021 P790 Irons 5-AW (1° flat, weakened lofts) w/ Aerotech Steelfiber i95 cw regular
  • 467311891_Screenshot2021-12-24002654.jpg.3c87f11fa77f127a10ed922bdcbbcc69.jpgCBX2 Wedges 54°, 58° w/ True Temper DG 115 Wedge flex
  • 467311891_Screenshot2021-12-24002654.jpg.3c87f11fa77f127a10ed922bdcbbcc69.jpgOdyssey White Hot OG #1 Stroke Lab, 33 in
  • 1360869533_Screenshot2021-12-24002835.jpg.38d6fb8915a5bd0b37b4bbec950f4c64.jpgPro V1
  • bushnell_launchpro_logos_medium.jpg.7df9dcd404a46928e3850d1e1335e4e3.jpgBushnell Launch Pro

20 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

I think it sounds fine.  To me it was a little lower pitched that most titanium drivers.  

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

38 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I think it sounds fine.  To me it was a little lower pitched that most titanium drivers.  

So more like persimmon?  Probably quite a few of our forum members have never experienced wood woods 🙂.

So many threads are about "trying" and "fitting" that it makes me realize how far out of the mainstream I am,

at least relative to people on internet golf forums.

If my own club's pro shop doesn't have something,

and these days, it doesn't have a lot more than caps and polos, it seems like,

I buy it online.  TGW, mostly, but not exclusively.

It doesn't even get tried first, never mind fitted.  

Every single club that I'm playing now, I've purchased on the basis of a web page photograph and published specs.

I just don't shop in golf retail stores / fitting centers.  I would be comfortable if our own club professional were helping me out,

but otherwise, I just prefer not to deal with sporting goods store staff.

Spin numbers?  If i knew what they were, I wouldn't know what to do with the information.

Launch monitors and simulators?  Just not part of my life.  

The average handicap is said to be around sixteen, but that sample size includes only people who actually keep a USGA handicap.

I suspect that the overall number, if it included every recreational player, would be well higher than that.

At my very best, I was once down to a seven.   I'm certainly above that now, at my age, but I still scrape together a reasonably presentable game.

Would "try before you buy"and high tech fitting have improved that?

I guess that I'll never know.

A very enjoyable activity would possibly be significantly less enjoyable for me if it involved that much work.

Edited by BostonSal

Louisville Golf Persimmon___2, 4, 5, 7-woods;    Epon AF-906___driving iron;   Titleist T100 5, 6, 7, 8, 9-irons; 

Titleist T100S___48°;     Edison 2.0___53º;     Titleist SM-9 (T)___58º;   Tad Moore Otto Hackbarth___putter;   

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

36 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

So more like persimmon?  Probably quite a few of our forum members have never experienced wood woods 🙂.

been a long time since I have hit a persimmon driver and I don’t remember the sound.  

22 minutes ago, BostonSal said:

So many threads are about "trying" and "fitting" that it makes me realize how far out of the mainstream I am,

at least relative to people on internet golf forums.

You do what 99% of all golfers do.  Walk in and buy based on some concept they believe….specific loft, flex, what someone on TV plays, pretty colors, brand bias, etc.

yes, most people on golf forums are more of a gear junky and want to know more about the equipment And how it can help their games.  Fittings are recommended because it can help inexperienced golfers get the right equipment to help make the game easier and ultimately more enjoyable.   Having recently completed the driver most wanted testing, I can attest to the fact that clubs perform differently based on head design and shaft profile and weight.  From testing wedge I can tell you that the same loft will perform differently if it is a set wedge versus a specialty wedge.  

if the way you approach the game makes you happy then continue doing what you do.  

22 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

This is based on the extensive sampling of two drives yesterday 🙂  As I was more focused on hititng the irons.   That said, I agree with Cnsosil below.   It's fine, definitely more muted than a titanium.  

You  asked in a post above this if it sounded persimmon.  I wouldn't say that at all, as persimmon is like baseball bat crack to me.   This is definitely a softer sounding titanium or metal sounding.  It's closer to maybe one ofthe Callaway drivers from a few years ago, can't recal exactly whch one, but slightly less muted than that was.

So again, fine, nothting that i'm going to complain about.

Can't really give any feedback on disance, the one drive i hit in 40 degree temps, into a slight breeze bundled up in a jacket, landed in a patch of snow that I literaly couldnt' find the ball in, it landed and must have plugged, no trail or anything.   I'm sure once the snow melts today, there will be a nice Pro V in the middle of the fairway, I' betteer go grab it before the course opens tomorrow...ha

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

2 hours ago, Dan013 said:

image.jpeg

Jeebus... if I saw gains like that, I'd buy two of them 😲.... you know, in case the face starts getting all marred up 😆.

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

Just remembered,  if you go to the MGS YouTube channel and watch the first minute of the donor giveaway video, the driver sound you hear is me hitting the stealth driver. Pretty sure it as two,swings that got captured .  I know it doesn’t compare to other drivers, but it might help.