Shot Scope Live Q&A 4pm EST! Join Here! ×

Golf Course designs getting OLD.

Last time I checked about 95% of 18 hole golf courses are all basically the same design. They have 4 par 3's, 4 par 5's, and then 10 par 4's.  WHY?  For a few years now I have wondered why someone doesn't design a course with 6 par 3's 6 par 4's and 6 par 5's. An equal number of each instead of the same old same old thing. I'm NOT saying this would be a better design, but at least it would be a FRESH idea and something new for a change.  This idea would also free up the head designer to use the land that is available to it's best usage.  Surely NOT all the land that is used to build a golf course is best used if the old designs are used. Why not open up the world of golf to a few new ideas for a change? What do you guys think of this idea?

All my clubs are custom built with aftermarket shafts that have been spine and FLO aligned for max performance every swing. 

I have no preference either way but I just can’t resist. 182A1FE9-EB25-493A-8D64-2A6C856C49CC.gif.9f6f095431f529ce89694f9abac1b619.gif

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

It has a lot to do with pace of play.

Look at the Open…if you litter courses with drivable par 4’s and several more par 3’s, you’ll have groups standing on the tee boxes for days.

I love the idea but there is a reason why things are how they are.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

... And basketball rims are still at 10 feet, football fields 100yds (although not for hosers eh) and baseball fields still have 4 bases. I will say I would love to play a course with 18 par 5's though and if they got rid of par 3's completely I would not complain as I have as good a chance at a HIO on a drivable par 4 as I evidently do a par 3. 🙄

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

12 hours ago, IONEPUTT said:

Last time I checked about 95% of 18 hole golf courses are all basically the same design. They have 4 par 3's, 4 par 5's, and then 10 par 4's.  WHY?  For a few years now I have wondered why someone doesn't design a course with 6 par 3's 6 par 4's and 6 par 5's. An equal number of each instead of the same old same old thing. I'm NOT saying this would be a better design, but at least it would be a FRESH idea and something new for a change.  This idea would also free up the head designer to use the land that is available to it's best usage.  Surely NOT all the land that is used to build a golf course is best used if the old designs are used. Why not open up the world of golf to a few new ideas for a change? What do you guys think of this idea?

More than a handful of courses that I play regularly have three par-3s, three par-4s, and three par 5s on at least one of their nines.  In addition, the course for which I play on a senior travel team has three par-5s, two par-3s, and four par-4s on the front nine (par of 37), plus only one par-5 on the back nine, for a par of 35.

I have been playing golf in the UK for the last week, and have seen all sorts of golf hole combinations on the classic courses. For example, Royal Birkdale has only one par-5 on the front nine, and three par-5s in the final four holes, making it play to a par of 35-37-72. Royal Troon, on the other hand, has just one par-5 on the back nine. I have found that these little quirks certainly give these courses character.

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

15 hours ago, bens197 said:

It has a lot to do with pace of play.

Look at the Open…if you litter courses with drivable par 4’s and several more par 3’s, you’ll have groups standing on the tee boxes for days.

I love the idea but there is a reason why things are how they are.

I can see how pace of play could be an issue, But I also like to think that a good course designer with some tour experience could figure out a way to make the pace of play flow along with little or no problems. I don't know about where you play, but here in the Denver area a round of golf takes about 5 hours these days, and I for one have had to WAIT on the groups ahead of me more often than not a lot of the time. I'm not sure if a 6-6-6 hole course could make it too much worse. I'm OLD, FAT and OUt of shape plus I walk every round I play, and yet I have to wait on the young guys in the groups ahead of me that are riding a cart. I hate to say it but I believe slow pace of play has more to do with BRAIN POWER than it does with course design. LACK of skill doesn't help either.  

All my clubs are custom built with aftermarket shafts that have been spine and FLO aligned for max performance every swing. 

Guess it may be a more north American thing? 

Played several courses here and Europe/NZ/Australia that do not have that standard template or hole allocation. 

From pace of play, land space and what people like and are use to the standard hole allocation works and works for a reason. Not to say others don't or couldnt, but it could very well be if it ain't broke type deal.

I'll add we have several golf parks here which have one championship 18 hole course, one 9 hole course a 6 hole course and part 3 course. I'd rather see that become the norm then 6,6,6 hole Formats. 

Oh and we have an awesome course with a sweet par 6.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I would think some religious enthusiasts my not like the 6,6,6 design format.  Then again, you would have a built-in excuse for not playing well.  As Flip Wilson used to say, "The devil made me do it!"

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

16 hours ago, funkyjudge said:

More than a handful of courses that I play regularly have three par-3s, three par-4s, and three par 5s on at least one of their nines.  In addition, the course for which I play on a senior travel team has three par-5s, two par-3s, and four par-4s on the front nine (par of 37), plus only one par-5 on the back nine, for a par of 35.

I have been playing golf in the UK for the last week, and have seen all sorts of golf hole combinations on the classic courses. For example, Royal Birkdale has only one par-5 on the front nine, and three par-5s in the final four holes, making it play to a par of 35-37-72. Royal Troon, on the other hand, has just one par-5 on the back nine. I have found that these little quirks certainly give these courses character.

My course has two par 3's and three par 5's for par 37 on the front nine; three par 3's and two par 5's for par 35 on the back nine.  Pace of play is definitely and issue with more par 5's, especially during tournaments when teams have at least one player that will go for the par 5's in two shots.  For most players that rare.

I did play a 6-6-6 course several years ago in Phoenix.  It was OK, but not very crowded... probably because it was in not the best of shape.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• 1 month later...

Of course, your proposal for the design of hole courses has a place to be. However, in this case, you need to know the golf course tree pruning because your layout of holes and so on will take up a lot of space, and you will have to clear some areas. A fallen tree branch can present a serious risk of personal injury or property damage. Also, carry a full Tee to Green Insurance policy with you at all times to cover any accidents or incidents that may occur. The right insurance will protect you and cover almost any liability.

Edited by LuisVangog