Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Backwards Grips

Just out of curiosity, why do people like to have grips on backwards. I am asking mostly about the Golf Pride New Decade Multi Compound. My philosophy is if it is made to be on one way, why switch it? I can see putting Tour Velvets backwards so you don't have to see the logo, but I like the logo to line up.

So, if you do switch, why?

Just out of curiosity, why do people like to have grips on backwards. I am asking mostly about the Golf Pride New Decade Multi Compound. My philosophy is if it is made to be on one way, why switch it? I can see putting Tour Velvets backwards so you don't have to see the logo, but I like the logo to line up.

So, if you do switch, why?

On my DD2's, I don't like seeing the big white "Golf Pride" so my grips are installed with the letter side down. Its just distracting to look down at that and I think it gives the club a cleaner look.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

Nothing more than personal preference.

That....and somewhere they heard the guys on Tour do it.

I don't buy or do anything just because the guys on Tour do it (ahem).

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

• SPY VIP

I have talked to some who grip on their own. It is more difficult to get the grip lined up with the big GP on top. Uncluttered at address is another i have heard. Someone who wants this though probably should stay away from two tone grips.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

I have talked to some who grip on their own. It is more difficult to get the grip lined up with the big GP on top. Uncluttered at address is another i have heard. Someone who wants this though probably should stay away from two tone grips.

Yeah, I do my own grips and that's another reason to love GP Tour Velvets - nothing to align. Although, now with the power of compressed air, I can fidget with it all day long.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• SPY VIP

Yeah, I do my own grips and that's another reason to love GP Tour Velvets - nothing to align. Although, now with the power of compressed air, I can fidget with it all day long.

Are you using the small compressor and a collar around the grip? Does the first blast of air puncture the tape at the butt end? Do you add some tape to the end to seal the shaft and then blow it on? Lots of questions, but I find this interesting and maybe a future distraction in the garage.

Volvo Intorqueo

Are you using the small compressor and a collar around the grip? Does the first blast of air puncture the tape at the butt end? Do you add some tape to the end to seal the shaft and then blow it on? Lots of questions, but I find this interesting and maybe a future distraction in the garage.

Yeah, I got the tool from Steve (Z-Man) in the mail today. I'll be testing it out tomorrow and I'll give you a full write up. From the instructions I've read: the air should not puncture the tape, but you do need to seal it. I also plan on using some solvent on the tip of the grip/end of the shaft to get it started.

Yeah, I got the tool from Steve (Z-Man) in the mail today. I'll be testing it out tomorrow and I'll give you a full write up. From the instructions I've read: the air should not puncture the tape, but you do need to seal it. I also plan on using some solvent on the tip of the grip/end of the shaft to get it started.

I'm going to start doing my own grips after the current set wear out. With that said, I have to say this whole blowing off grips thing has me VERY confused. Are grips really that hard to get off? A write-up would definitely help me conceptualize it.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

I'm going to start doing my own grips after the current set wear out. With that said, I have to say this whole blowing off grips thing has me VERY confused. Are grips really that hard to get off? A write-up would definitely help me conceptualize it.

The appeal of air is not so much for getting them off (though it will be easier than cutting them off and peeling off all the tape), but for getting them on. You no longer need double sided tape and a bucket of solvent. When I do this tomorrow I'll take some pics so that I can illustrate the write up.

• SPY VIP

I am putting one on my DIY "lemon" whip trainer tomorrow with the hairspray and tape method. I'll take picts and document the fine technique for the masses.

Volvo Intorqueo

I am putting one on my DIY "lemon" whip trainer tomorrow with the hairspray and tape method. I'll take picts and document the fine technique for the masses.

Please do. I need to start doing my own grips and seeing/reading that would be helpful.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Really, I can get them done for $2. It's the grips that are priced crazy.

When I was working retail golf, we sold our grips for like $2-$5 and put them on for an extra $1 per club.

After getting out of the business and moving away from my contacts, I went to get clubs re-gripped and for a complete set it was going to be something like $80. I went and bought the things needed to do it myself. LOL

The price, plus the lazy and sloppy way a lot of places do it, made me decide it was best to just do it myself.

Even at $2 a grip, it hurts me to pay someone to do something I can do very easily. Even when I didn't have a garage or a vise, I did regripping myself in the kitchen of my apartment. Wasn't a huge hit with my wife, but whatever. Now that I have an air compressor, it's going to be faster and easier than ever (DIY to follow tonight).

Even at $2 a grip, it hurts me to pay someone to do something I can do very easily. Even when I didn't have a garage or a vise, I did regripping myself in the kitchen of my apartment. Wasn't a huge hit with my wife, but whatever. Now that I have an air compressor, it's going to be faster and easier than ever (DIY to follow tonight).

For you that would make sense, for me who doesn't have an air compressor, and doesn't change my grips too often, it's not worth it.

I didn't really think anything about your comment on grip prices because I play Tour Velvets which have always been cheap. Then I went to the store today to pick up enough grips to finish doing my set. $4.15 PER GRIP!!! For the most boring, vanilla grip there is. I know I could get them cheaper online or in bulk, but I needed them ASAP. The last time I bought grips they were closer to $2.50. I hope that price is still in effect somewhere. If it is I'm going to stock up. If I didn't have 4 grips in my stash, and I didn't do the work myself, regripping would have run me over $80! That's just ridiculous.

• SPY VIP

I didn't really think anything about your comment on grip prices because I play Tour Velvets which have always been cheap. Then I went to the store today to pick up enough grips to finish doing my set. $4.15 PER GRIP!!! For the most boring, vanilla grip there is. I know I could get them cheaper online or in bulk, but I needed them ASAP. The last time I bought grips they were closer to $2.50. I hope that price is still in effect somewhere. If it is I'm going to stock up. If I didn't have 4 grips in my stash, and I didn't do the work myself, regripping would have run me over $80! That's just ridiculous.

DIY becomes more and more cost effective the more you regrip. If this is a 10 year project, you easily cover the cost of equipment and save a couple of rounds of $$$ in the process. I pay for mine about once a season at this point, but it is only $1.50 per at my shop.

Winter is too short here for me to need the project, and my garage is already an art studio...

Volvo Intorqueo

Thought you were asking about the Feel Reverse Taper Grips ;)

In my case, if they are crosslines I will put them on upside down as its one less alignment that I have to concern myself with.

On other grips - GP Decades / Winn DSI I will take the time to make sure that the grip is aligned correctly (laser)

rob

I Can't Help It If I'm Lucky...

Exactly, the grip prices are ridiculous, I mean, do you think it costs them $9 to make the ND MC? No way, they just pour rubber and cotton into a mold. I haven't really had to face this much because I haven't regripped my irons since I bought them, but to get them all with the ND MC is going to cost me close to $100.

Sorry about that, rant over. :)

You gotta start doing your own grips....re-gripping prices have gone crazy.

We charge $1.50 labor + cost of the grip

Grips have gone up in price in recent years. GPTV's are now 3.35 at my shop, still a lot higher than they were a few years ago. I always have kept track of the GPTVFC. I started buying this grip when it was 4.05 a grip. Up to 7.05 now. It is almost worth buying new irons instead of regripping these days.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

As far as upside-down grips, I prefer that look, because I don't want someone elses idea of straight to hamper where I put my hands on the club. Also, if I need to hit a subtle shape (yeah, right) a small grip change is a lot easier without looking at grip graphics.

Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

We charge $1.50 labor + cost of the grip

Grips have gone up in price in recent years. GPTV's are now 3.35 at my shop, still a lot higher than they were a few years ago. I always have kept track of the GPTVFC. I started buying this grip when it was 4.05 a grip. Up to 7.05 now. It is almost worth buying new irons instead of regripping these days.

Is there a particular reason why grip prices are going up so quickly?

I'm going to try to find GPTV's cheap and load up. I may be giving up a ring to clean you out at 3.35 if I can't find them cheaper.

Some people are OCD when they look down and if the logo isn't right they can't hit the club right. I am regripping clubs for my buddy who wants the logo down on his GP tourvelvets.

PING: Rapture V1 9° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (65 Stiff)

TITLEIST: 906F4 15.5° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (80 Stiff)

COBRA: 5w Speed LD F/ST Tour AD YS Designed by Graphite Design made for Cobra Stiff

PING: S59 Rifle 6.5 Soft stepped

PING: Tour 48°, 52°, 58°

Byron SS Custom 006

Titelist Pro V 1

Ping hoofer Vantage

"Everyday you miss practicing, it will take you one day longer to get good." -Ben Hogan

Is there a particular reason why grip prices are going up so quickly?

I'm going to try to find GPTV's cheap and load up. I may be giving up a ring to clean you out at 3.35 if I can't find them cheaper.

I was wrong, GPTV are 3.05 a grip. all day long.

• SPY VIP

I was wrong, GPTV are 3.05 a grip. all day long.

Hey Nic

Does the TV grip have an internal flare as you move from opening to the butt? i.e. is the internal diameter larger at the butt end when compared to the opening?

Volvo Intorqueo

As far as upside-down grips, I prefer that look, because I don't want someone elses idea of straight to hamper where I put my hands on the club. Also, if I need to hit a subtle shape (yeah, right) a small grip change is a lot easier without looking at grip graphics.

That's a good point. The ND MC's are a little tough to turn in your hands if you want to change your grip.

Archived