Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Competition vs. non competition play

fixyurdivot

Competitive Golf  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Do you tend to play better or worse playing in a competition format?

• Better
    • Worse

Wow, I play better when I am focused on the process of each shot.  Sometimes that happens when I am playing for fun and working on my game or more often when I am helping a friend with their game.  Talking through the thought process of each shot before hitting it.  If someone asks me to help them with their game I will normally talk them through my decision process of each of my shots and ask them about theirs.  When I do this I play my best golf.  I have set all my best scores in this situation to include a 62 at Kingsmill (River course from the Blues).  I knew I was playing well but my friend was keeping the score and didn't tell me until we were done.  When I play for big money, $500-$1000 a side, which is rare I basically go through the same process.  I only attack pins if I'm on my number with a short club.  I play aggressively to the part of the green with the least risk.  I trust my ability to get up and down aggressively with a wedge and I trust my lag putting to keep making pars until a scoring chance presents itself.  Most importantly I strategize the hole from the green back to the tee before hitting the tee shot.    Example:  At Kingsmill I played both the 9th and 15th holes by laying up to about 80 yards with the best angle to attack the pin and stuck it to 3 and 6 feet.  The nineth hole plays about 470 yards and zig zags into a kidney shaped green with lots of bunkers on the right side.  The pin was on the right near the back.  I decided to play it in three shots to the green making the tee shot a relaxed swing.  Played it about 250 in the fairway leaving 218 to the pin I hit a smooth 9 iron to the left side of the fairway to give myself a straight shot back to the pin over nothing but fairway and green to look at from 82 yards.  I explained to my friend that by deciding on the tee to lay up and then attack I could take the pressure off all the shots and attack with my favorite shot a feel sand wedge while removing anything worse than bogy.  Hitting driver three wood trying to fade it so as not to go to far would bring all the bunkers and heavy rough around the green into play and a potential short sided wedge into a very fast green or a mishit driver trying to get close enough to smoke a hybrid to the back of the green with all the same issues waiting.  All my best golf is played when I am thinking and planning every hole from the green to the tee and I really only do that on competition rounds.  I love match play but hate skins because it lends itself to taking the risk on every hole and score be damned.  That said I play skins far to often and have shot even par and not won a penny and shot 9 over and cleaned up with birdies on all the par 3s.  Skins is to random... any idiot can hit a lucky shot to win.

Driver: Titleist TSR 3 10* Accura TZ6 M3 65g

Fairways: Callaway Rogue 15* & 19* Matrix Ozik TP 6 HD stiff 

Hybrid: Titleist TSI 4 & 5 Hybrids Mitsubishi Tensi AV 65 HY X stiff   

Irons:  KZG Forged III 6-P Accura iS7 (Refinished and regrooved)

Wedges: Cleveland CBX  50*, Taylormade MG 3 Tiger grind 56 bent to 54/10 & Taylormade MG 4 Tiger grind 56 bent to 58/14

Putter: Positive Putter's Custom P2 (think Edel putter meets Heavy Putter)

Ball: Callaway Chome Tour                        

All clubs have Winn Dri-Tac Wraps oversized

Really a great and interesting topic. I voted "better in competition" but it's close. The real answer is "both".

There are times when I find I can get into a heightened state of focus and awareness that I can only get into when in competition. It is those times when I can play closer to my potential. I can never get into that state in casual rounds or even money games with my buddies.

However, there are other times in competition when I cannot find that focus. The anxiety over getting a good result takes over, and I go into the crapper. To put it simply...I choke. I do not seem to be able to control which version of me shows up. Obviously I wish I could... 

Driver: Callaway Mavrik w/VA Composites Drago 55

3-Wood: Callaway Epic w/VA Composites Drago 65

3-4 Hybrids: Callaway Big Bertha (off the rack...gasp)

Irons 5-P: Sub-70 659 CB w/ Nippon 950GH Stiff

Wedges: Sub-70 286 50,54, Vokey 58 12.D, all with w/ Nippon 950GH Stiff

Putter: Odyssey Rossie OG

I used to play a lot of competitive golf because I wanted to be a club pro and give lessons. When that didn't prove to be economically feasible and my wife indicated that I should "tone it down a bit" I stopped cold turkey.  I now play in a group that allows just about everything including auto 2 putts most of the time. In other words, I play for fun and a nice walk.

I live in a senior golf community. Imagine my surprise when my unit had a putting contest and I won! I hadn't made that many putts all year. So I reckon some competitive golf couldn't hurt. Not going to make it a regular thing though.

Driver: Callaway Epic 9 degree, stiff (set at 10 degrees with the movable weight in the center}

FW: Callaway Epic 3,5, heaven wood w/ regular shaft (driver shaft in 3 wood, 3 wood shaft in 5 wood, 5 wood shaft in heaven wood, all three set at neutral plus 1 degree)

Hybrids: Callaway BB19 4,6,7 (4 set at neutral plus 1 degree and 6 and 7 set at neutral minus 1 degree for gapping purposes)

Irons: Callaway Rogue ST Max 8, 9, PW 

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 50,54,58

Ball: Titleist Pro V1, 1X, Vice Pro Plus or anything I find that day and try out for the fun of it (I haven't bought balls with my own money in at least 10 years)

On 12/26/2022 at 7:15 PM, fixyurdivot said:

Since joining the men's league and two other groups that play competition games, I'm finding that I simply do not play as well as opposed to just casual rounds. I have finished 1st in an individual low net game for my flight, and placed in the top 10 a couple of times in men's league team contests.  I haven't kept close track but gut says barely 50/50 on money in and pay outs on our Monday and Thursday team games. I'll go further to say that more often than not, I'm one of the team members not playing to my handicap/quota.  Looking at my play/score data, I'm averaging over 4 strokes better when just playing outside of a competition format. 

And, we play them where they lie (except local rules) and putt everything out.  Same for casual play except for a couple absolute, depth of a mallet head, tap in's.

Except for the trash games we played in Yuma (Wolf for dimes/hole, 2 bits for CTP's and birdies), I really never participated in very much competitive golf. Perhaps it will just take some time to forget about the competition part and stay focused on the execution part - dunno, sure hope so? 🤷‍♂️  

Does playing competitively affect your game (or did it when you first started)?

I think you'll get better as you play more and get used to it. I did. Like you I played poorly at first, often very poorly. I'm much more relaxed now. Some of it was how casual we play with friends. Ready golf, putting out of turn if a guy's not rerady, etc.

I've played well and I've played badly in club competitions, even won a few handicapped and flight events. I competed hard but I really can't say I had fun. A few years ago, I introduced my youngest son, who has autism, to the game. We played strictly for fun, playing preferred lies and giving ourselves a free drop now and then. Once I dropped the "golf is a serious moral enterprise" approach, I started loving the game again. Man, we've had some laughs. Now my son is my regular golf partner and I doubt that I'll ever enter a competition again.

Sometimes it pays to be "Over The Hill" as eventually you shape up!!

Like most; I was competitive & Score driven. Got heated & stupid.

Until I took up Sailing!!! & it ain't over until the Fat Lady sings!!

Yep; took me awhile to learn the process.  & say to the Young Guns now

"Don't Fool with The Old Man!!" Ah Ching, Ah Ching!!

Is it the difference between famiarity with home course and visiting a new course ?

And yes, the muscles tighten and the nerves get twitchy in competition 

Driver FW - Titleist 917

Irons 4 to 8 - Titleist T300 2° flat

Irons 9 to wedges - George Nicoll Royal musclebacks 70s vintage

Putter - Scotty Cameron Select blackout

I joined a local club and particiapted in one of the major tournaments this last summer! I had never played in anything competitive before outisde of some simple bets here are there. 

It was an overwhelming expereince to start! Lots of nerves, like the first tee jitters but amped up! I found that led to mistakes which led to over compensation and then I wasn't playing my game. The next day I slowed things down and got back to playing the course the way I know to play it. Next year I'll be more prepared and will be taking a totally different approach!

I think by taking more of a course management style and actually playing risk adverse will lead to a better competitive performance and help build confidence. That confidence can then help you get on a roll. I will not be deterred from playing an iron off a tee or laying up on par 5 if I can increase my chances of an easy par and maybe a longer birdie put. I want easy GIRS, no penalties, and chances at birdies. 

I'll let you know how it goes this year!

I've been playing golf for 55 years. I've played in one individual tournament, a City Open tourney, and 10 scramble benefit tournaments, all at the same course. In the City tournament I came in 4th in the "A" flight, playing great in the Saturday qualifying round, and decent in the finals. In the scrambles, my partners and I always played really well, winning low gross 4 times, and low net 4 times. As my bio says, I'm only competitive with myself. I always want to play well, make good/great shots, sink a few long putts and score well, and I always want my playing partners to do the same. I love the game, not the competition against others.   

Work to golf

On 12/26/2022 at 6:15 PM, fixyurdivot said:

Since joining the men's league and two other groups that play competition games, I'm finding that I simply do not play as well as opposed to just casual rounds. I have finished 1st in an individual low net game for my flight, and placed in the top 10 a couple of times in men's league team contests.  I haven't kept close track but gut says barely 50/50 on money in and pay outs on our Monday and Thursday team games. I'll go further to say that more often than not, I'm one of the team members not playing to my handicap/quota.  Looking at my play/score data, I'm averaging over 4 strokes better when just playing outside of a competition format. 

And, we play them where they lie (except local rules) and putt everything out.  Same for casual play except for a couple absolute, depth of a mallet head, tap in's.

Except for the trash games we played in Yuma (Wolf for dimes/hole, 2 bits for CTP's and birdies), I really never participated in very much competitive golf. Perhaps it will just take some time to forget about the competition part and stay focused on the execution part - dunno, sure hope so? 🤷‍♂️  

Does playing competitively affect your game (or did it when you first started)?

I play in a non-competitive golf league with about 170 golfers participating.  Unfortunately, only about 16 foursomes play any week.  It is a fun league with standard games,(closest to the pin, long drive in foursome, etc) and occasional scramble and other games.  Having played many years in competitive leagues, I now prefer the non-competitive format and I am much more relaxed in my game.  The point is that golf should be relaxation, not frustration.

33 minutes ago, stevegawron said:

I play in a non-competitive golf league with about 170 golfers participating.  Unfortunately, only about 16 foursomes play any week.  It is a fun league with standard games,(closest to the pin, long drive in foursome, etc) and occasional scramble and other games.  Having played many years in competitive leagues, I now prefer the non-competitive format and I am much more relaxed in my game.  The point is that golf should be relaxation, not frustration.

Thanks for the feedback.  I should have noted in my OP that I enjoy the men's league although, as warned, they do get slow at times and a few seem to be way too serious about things for me.  I also like the two less formal money groups I play with each week.  These guys are much less serious and more relaxing. Hopefully I'll get use to the competition, think less about it, and just play my game.  Funny as it sounds, several of the game formats are new to me and I tend to not even follow the scoring details to any great detail.  If someone hands me cash back during the after-round beers... bonus 👍.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

I play better, but it's something i had to gradually build towards.  I've got a regular weekend group that i play with, and they won't ever be competing in stroke-play games.  While i will go enter some individual stroke tournaments.  i'm not winning club championships or anything, ,but i'm about a 3 or 4 handicap, and i've generally played to that, and do decently enough in flighted matches.

What helped me is going out of my way to play in these things with folks i don't usually play with.  Doing this helped me get comfortable in what i consider uncomfortable situations, which helped me far more than just about anything else has.  Of course, when i play with my weekend "slack rules" group, i try to play as hard as i can for my score just for me, to help me keep focus.

When I'm in a competition, I typically play more conservatively - hence scoring better.  I focus on hitting greens and avoiding big numbers.  When it's just me and my buddies, I'll pull out driver on a short Par-4, in a tournament - I'd hit a 4-iron off the tee.

I have friends who 'bump' the ball in the fairway/rough/away from a tree, etc. when it's just us playing a round, plus not counting ALL their strokes or giving a courtesy score of Double/Triple Bogey when they get frustrated.  And let's not forget about all those 3'+ gimmies in a friendly round.  I'm happy to give those putts, then when you play in a tournament, you can't play to that handicap, which is to my advantage.

If you play it that every stroke counts, then you have a true handicap.  Otherwise, you're only helping your ego, but not your competitive scoring.

My two cents...

-- Peejer

:taylormade-small: Stealth Driver
:srixon-small: ZX 3W
:cobra-small: RadSpeed 3-hybrid
:taylormade-small: P790 (2021) irons (4-PW)
635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png  CBX-2 GW, SW & LW
:EVNROLL: ER7 Putter
:srixon-small: Q-Star Tour DIVIDE / image.png.5c73aa0e191520c63e4a7567ea08cf4a.pngTour -  image.png.70e0eeb259be4d89842e31955c4a2f83.png
image.png.01a298ec5595cfbe94cf034d738c10fd.png Revolver XL
image.png1500Li Cart

:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9 HD Pro Rangefinder / image.png.e9071b3377299921b87f929d3e042fa6.png S20 GPS Watch
image.png.a78b2d4ee5b8826f57bf30ca7bcf0cb7.png + Launch Monitor

Denver, Colorado

Home Course:  Eisenhower Golf Club, USAF Academy   usafa.png.fb60aa7a77f130b1057160837c0a4a29.png

image.png

image.png

For me, competitive should be separated into tournament v skins games, then comes casual. I play better at skins than tournaments, and casual is too experimental. 

:titelist-small: TSi3 #1-3-5 all with Tensi Blue S-flex

:callaway-small: 2019 Apex Pro black 3 & 4H Catalyst 70 or    

:titelist-small: TSi3 #2-3 depending on how I’m playing. Tensi Blue

:callaway-small: 2019 Calloway Apex Pro black, 5-PW, Catalyst 100 - 6.0, Super Stroker Jumbo   

:cobra-small:  2020 RadSpeed OL 4H, 5-GW … won’t get to actually use till warmer weather

:callaway-small: 2019 PM-grind, 56° & 60°, KBS steel, Green Cap

:taylormade-small: Blue Spider EX

:titelist-small: Pro V1X

• 4 weeks later...

currently all my practice and "social" games are geared toward competitive rounds. In my early 20's I thought I had a pretty good golf game and played some competitive golf but, knowing what I know now, didnt understand how to prepare and practice properly. Now that I have time, health and desire I have committed to being the best senior amateur player i can be. Once I quite competitive golf we will see if I can fit into social golf again, I think I will be able to. 

committed to performance excellence

I can share some data collected at our golf organization's championship earlier this month.  We had 46 men and women golfers with course handicaps ranging from +2 to 41.  The men average course handicap was 16.7 and the ladies average course handicap was 25.7.  It was a fairly benign weather that day with no Playing Condition Calculation applied.   Here's what resulted:

• Only 4 of the 46 golfers were able to shoot better than their course handicap.
  • All three men's flights averaged almost 7 strokes over their handicap while the ladies averaged 10 strokes higher than their handicap.  
  • 55% of the field had their card corrected by having holes greater than a net double bogey.
  • Our course is par 70 (35/35) with two par fives.  There was a total of thirty-seven 8's, twelve 9's, four 10's, four 11's and even a posted 19!  The funny story about the 19.  The golfer came up to me and said "you know, after putting 5 in the water (on a short par 3), I finally went back to my bag and got a more club."  Even they had to laugh about it!

Me?  I was three over my handicap (shot 87 with a 14 handicap which is was about what I shot two rounds before and one after the tournament).  I had a solid front with a 40 (+5) but had a 47 on the back with an uncharacteristic OB and a meltdown on the last hole (due to bad approach shot and unfriendly sand trap).  I took second in my flight because when they matched cards with others with my net score, I pared the toughest hole with a 20 ft breaking putt.  

In my experiences playing in the occasional competitive rounds is that stress of the competition rears its ugly head often on the putting green.  Short putts that in some friendly rounds would be conceded all of a sudden seem like they are longer than they really are, break more than they really do, and the hole is about half the size than it normally is.  

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

On 1/27/2023 at 4:45 AM, Golf2Much said:

I can share some data collected at our golf organization's championship earlier this month.  We had 46 men and women golfers with course handicaps ranging from +2 to 41.  The men average course handicap was 16.7 and the ladies average course handicap was 25.7.  It was a fairly benign weather that day with no Playing Condition Calculation applied.   Here's what resulted:

• Only 4 of the 46 golfers were able to shoot better than their course handicap.
  • All three men's flights averaged almost 7 strokes over their handicap while the ladies averaged 10 strokes higher than their handicap.  
  • 55% of the field had their card corrected by having holes greater than a net double bogey.
  • Our course is par 70 (35/35) with two par fives.  There was a total of thirty-seven 8's, twelve 9's, four 10's, four 11's and even a posted 19!  The funny story about the 19.  The golfer came up to me and said "you know, after putting 5 in the water (on a short par 3), I finally went back to my bag and got a more club."  Even they had to laugh about it!

Me?  I was three over my handicap (shot 87 with a 14 handicap which is was about what I shot two rounds before and one after the tournament).  I had a solid front with a 40 (+5) but had a 47 on the back with an uncharacteristic OB and a meltdown on the last hole (due to bad approach shot and unfriendly sand trap).  I took second in my flight because when they matched cards with others with my net score, I pared the toughest hole with a 20 ft breaking putt.  

In my experiences playing in the occasional competitive rounds is that stress of the competition rears its ugly head often on the putting green.  Short putts that in some friendly rounds would be conceded all of a sudden seem like they are longer than they really are, break more than they really do, and the hole is about half the size than it normally is.  He went to training every day, had fun and even worked somewhere. He once invited me to have some fun, too, and I was surprised that he was gambling. I love it too and what's more, I usually play at rich palms casino. It is considered the best online casino in Australia. We had a little fun and I learned a lot of his secrets, how he manages to keep up everywhere.

Perhaps you need to tighten up a little skill because if you don't train constantly, the results will be noticeably lower. When I played for the youth league, we had a guy who managed everything.