Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Mizuno ST230 Drivers

GolfSpy_APH

image.png
We have had many new releases this year, but Mizuno is not one to be forgotten!

Be sure to let us know what you think of these drivers and where do they stand on your must test list? 

Underrated drivers for sure, but certainly good performers for many!

image.png

https://mygolfspy.com/mizuno-st-z-230-and-st-x-230-drivers/

MIZUNO INTRODUCES THE CORTECH CHAMBER
THE ‘MISSING PIECE’ BOOSTS MIZUNO ST-230 METALWOODS

After four years of rapid-fire development, Mizuno’s Speed Technology (ST) Metalwood
Project has culminated in the ST-230 series and a new energy source - the CORTECH
Chamber.
Over a four-year development process, including blanket usage by Mizuno’s contracted
professionals, Mizuno has lifted its metal woods from the shadow of its iconic irons. The ST-190
driver initiated Mizuno’s ST (Speed Technology) project, the ST-200 then added the Beta Ti face
and was Mizuno’s first “Tour Ready” driver. The ST-Z and ST-X then added versatility with the
option of two models. The ST220 Series represented a big shift in stability and ball speeds from
off-centre strikes.
After multiple iterative developments for stability, sound and spin, Mizuno has identified the
missing piece to its ball speed equation with the CORTECH Chamber – in its ST-230 Series due
for 2023 release. The CORTECH Chamber encases a stainless-steel weight with elastomeric
TPU, taking stress from the clubface and creating an additional source of energy. At the same
time, it locates weight closer to the clubface to reduce spin rates, while contributing to a more
solid, powerful sensation at impact.
“Our player testing over the years shows that placing extra weight close to the face results in
faster ball speeds and low spin rates,” says David Llewellyn, Director of R&D for Mizuno. “We’ve
been steadily working towards the CORTECH Chamber, which is incredibly effective at that job.
Encasing the steel weight within the TPU Chamber means that we’re moving weight close to the
face at the same time as creating an additional source of energy. Steel is twice the density of
Titanium but won’t weld directly, which is where the TPU has a second role.”

Since 2020 all of Mizuno’s contracted professionals have played and aided in the development of 

the driver. Maintaining a consistent look at address, while incrementally elevating performance has
built trust in Mizuno drivers amongst elite players – from college to the PGA Tour.

image.png

The new CORTECH Chamber features in 3 new ST-230 drivers, the ST-Z fairway and hybrid.
ST-Z 230 Driver
STRAIGHT, STABLE AND LOW SPINNING
A straight bias driver with great stability from off centre hits that’s similar in look and character to
the previous ST-Z. The Forged SAT 2041 Beta Ti face is boosted by the CORTECH Chamber to
be faster from the face, spin less and deliver an incredible, solid sensation at impact, while the
carbon sole plate is now a single piece to allow weight to be pushed to the extremes for overall
stability. It offers a modern players’ profile and Quick Switch hosel with 4 degrees of adjustability.
“Tour tests for the ST-Z 230 have all been very consistent,” says Chris Voshall, Mizuno’s Director
of Product. “Firstly, an appreciation that the look is familiar at address, then satisfaction at how
much better it feels off the face. Ball speeds are up on average 1-3mph with spin rates dropping
around 200 rpm.”

image.png

Availability: Right Hand – 9.5 and 10.5 degrees
Left hand – 9.5 degrees only

ST-X 230 Driver
MORE WORKABLE, MILD DRAW-BIASED
A more rounded, deeper profile with weight located closer to the hosel means it’s slightly higher
spinning and draw biased for the majority. But it’s also more workable for many elite players
(especially in lower lofts). Natural drawers of the ball may find more ball speed from the ST-X.
The Forged SAT 2041 Beta Ti face is boosted by the CORTECH Chamber to be faster from the
face, spin less and deliver an incredible, solid sensation at impact, while the carbon sole plate is
now a single piece to allow weight to be pushed to the extremes for overall stability. The deeper
profile aligns square in the neutral settings and the Quick Switch hosel offers 4 degrees of
workability.
“The new ST-X 230 is a complex character,” says Chris Voshall. “Although in the higher loft option
it’s a higher flying draw biased option, the 9.5 for many of our tour players was more workable and
faster from the face. You really need to hit both models before making any judgements on which is
likely to work best for you.”

Availability: Right Hand – 9.5, 10.5 and 12 degrees

image.png

Left Hand – 10.5 degrees

ST-X PLTNM 230 Driver
ULTRA LIGHTWEIGHT FOR SLOWER SWING SPEEDS
A high launching, super lightweight draw biased driver – ideal for slower and moderate swing
speeds. The ST-X PLTNM is 30g lighter overall than any possible custom option of the ST-X 230,
with a high spec Helium Platinum Shaft and lightweight grip. The Forged SAT 2041 Beta Ti face is
boosted by the CORTECH Chamber to be faster from the face, spin less and deliver an incredible,
solid sensation at impact, while the carbon sole plate is now a single piece to allow weight to be
pushed to the extremes for overall stability. Weight is located closer to the shaft axis to create
draw bias and the Quick Switch hosel offers 4 degrees of adjustability.

Availability: Right Hand – 10.5 and 12 degrees

ST-Z 230 Fairway Wood
STRAIGHT, STABLE AND HIGH LAUNCHING
A mid-low spinning, high launching, adjustable fairway wood. Although it was developed hand in
hand with Mizuno’s tour advisors, it’s mid-sized and playable for all levels. Utilizing a high energy
MAS1C steel face boosted by Mizuno’s CORTECH Chamber, it delivers exceptional ball speeds
and powerful, solid sensation at impact. The carbon composite crown offers a low centre of gravity
and stability while the expanded front to back weighting delivers consistent launch characteristics.
The Quick Switch hosel offers 4 degrees of adjustability.
“The elevated ball of the CORTECH Chamber is a great addition to the ST-Z fairway woods, but
the stability might be the real stand-out,” says Chris Voshall. “They feel like they are on tracks
through impact.”

image.png

Availability: Right Hand – 3 wood (15) and 5 wood (18)
Left hand – 3 wood (15)

ST-Z 230 Hybrid
STRAIGHT, STABLE AND HIGH LAUNCHING
A mid-low spinning, high launching, adjustable hybrid. Although it was developed hand in hand
with Mizuno’s tour advisors, it’s playable for all levels. Utilizing a high energy MAS1C steel face
boosted by Mizuno’s CORTECH Chamber, it delivers exceptional ball speeds and powerful, solid
sensation at impact. It has a slightly larger, more playable footprint than its predecessor the CLK

image.png

with waffle crown and thick sole weight engineered to create a low sweet spot and deep centre of
gravity for high launch and efficient spin rates.

“The CORTECH Chamber is very effective on the fairway woods and hybrids as it does such a
good job of lowering the sweet spot – maintaining ball speeds when you have to pinch one from a
tight fairway,” says Chris Voshall.

Availability: Right Hand – 2H (16), 3H (19), 4H (22) and 5H (25)
Left Hand – 3H (19) and 4H (22)
The ST230 Series of drivers and metal woods will be available from February. For further
information on Mizuno’s full range of golf equipment, apparel and accessories visit:
MizunoGolf.com. #MizunoST230 #CortechChamber #ReachBeyond

ENDS

RRPs:
ST-Z 230 Driver / ST-X 230 Driver: $499.95
ST-Z 230 PLTNM Driver: $549.95
ST-Z 230 Fairway Woods: $299.95
ST-Z 230 Hybrids: $249.95

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I really hope these perform as I think Mizuno drivers have been some of the best looking drivers since the 190 series. 

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

Definitely on the list of clubs to try (and hopefully buy) in 2023 as well as 2024 since they're going to a 2-year release cycle.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

I’m a total Mizuno irons fanboy, will hardly consider any other brand for irons - so I'm not hoping to throw shade at Mizuno. But I can’t imagine how Mizuno can make a dent in the market against Titleist, TaylorMade, Callaway and Ping - with similar performance and pricing. As much as I like Mizuno, I’m not going to choose their metals for the same price as a Titleist or Ping driver without some substantial performance advantage - and that’s basically impossible given USGA limits. At least they dumped blue drivers a couple generations ago, that made them a non-starter for many (like me). YMMV

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

1 hour ago, Middler said:

I’m a total Mizuno irons fanboy, will hardly consider any other brand for irons - so I'm not hoping to throw shade at Mizuno. But I can’t imagine how Mizuno can make a dent in the market against Titleist, TaylorMade, Callaway and Ping - with similar performance and pricing. As much as I like Mizuno, I’m not going to choose their metals for the same price as a Titleist or Ping driver without some substantial performance advantage - and that’s basically impossible given USGA limits. At least they dumped blue drivers a couple generations ago, that made them a non-starter for many (like me). YMMV

As a Mizuno iron fanboy, would you consider the driver if it performs equal to the others?

Honest question and not trying to call ya out or anything. I have always thought Mizuno drivers were amazing looking(since they went black with 190) but they spun too much for me. If all else is equal(spin/ball speed/dispersion), I buying the Mizuno over other brands just in looks. 

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

One of the best looking launches IMO.

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

36 minutes ago, JohnSmalls said:

One of the best looking launches IMO.

Have to think on this one. I don't love the crown when I saw the 220 in Person. Something about the black to carbon didn't suit my eye. However i will say the blue is striking on it.

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

3 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Have to think on this one. I don't love the crown when I saw the 220 in Person. Something about the black to carbon didn't suit my eye. However i will say the blue is striking on it.

At least in pictures 😂.  I should have said better looking.  I don't love the crown graphics but like them fine enough and they are growing on me from a setup/address standpoint.  The carbon Wilson is better from the crown, Mizuno from the sole. 

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

1 hour ago, GolfSpy_BNG said:

As a Mizuno iron fanboy, would you consider the driver if it performs equal to the others?

Honest question and not trying to call ya out or anything. I have always thought Mizuno drivers were amazing looking(since they went black with 190) but they spun too much for me. If all else is equal(spin/ball speed/dispersion), I buying the Mizuno over other brands just in looks. 

No, they don't have a name in drivers or metals. I don't get how you break in to a market against established market leaders by offering essentially the same performance at the same price. Gonna take a lot of patience.

And I like the look of the Titleist and Ping drivers over any Mizuno have put out, but beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder. The Mizuno looks too busy, the top and especially the sole. I'll admit the blue drivers in the past left a lingering bad impression on me. But there has never been a Mizuno driver that I thought looked better than all the established brand drivers, still don't. Less is more in club "looks" to me, but that's just me.

MizunoST180.png

• Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

4 minutes ago, Middler said:

No, they don't have a name in drivers or metals. I don't get how you break in to a market against established market leaders by offering essentially the same performance at the same price.

And I like the look of the Titleist and Ping drivers over any Mizuno have put out, but beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder. The Mizuno looks too busy, the top and especially the sole. I'll admit the blue drivers in the past left a lingering bad impression on me. Less is more in club "looks" to me, but that's just me.

MizunoST180.png

I actually liked the blue... But then again I had a blue Fly Z plus that i really liked as well. 

I think there are more offensive colors than the blue. Nike was on a good streak of making some wildly colored drivers. 

It's at least nice that there truly are so many options for us to pick from! (All OEMs)

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

This driver is $100 cheaper than TM/Cally/Titleist and $50 cheaper than Cobra/Ping. While not drastic that helps and if you can get the same performance for slightly cheaper to me that’s a win. 

Now I haven’t seen these in person or hit them but I’ll go on record now saying if I can get the same performance out of these as others, I’m all in baby!

These look great and I’d give them a shot just like I did the previous generations, but they’re never the clear-cut winner of my fittings.

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

So i've recently been baptized DEEP in the Mizuno waters...and let me tell you...I couldn't not be more excited for this driver and fairways. The 220 was the best feedback and forgiving driver i've ever hit in my life. My biggest focus with this new driver is going to be the aftermarket shaft offerings. I can't wait to get fitted for this club and see what kind of numbers I can get. 

What's in my :1590477705_SunMountain: C-130S Camo:

|> Driver - :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5° w. Diamana TB Series 60 S

|> 3 Wood -  :titleist-small: TSR2 15° w. Fujikura Motore F1 X 7S

|> 5 Wood - :titleist-small: TSR2 18° w. Fujikura Motore F1 X 7S 

|> Irons - :srixon-small: ZX5 MKII (4i-5i) + ZX7 MKII (6i-PW) w. KBS $-Taper 120

|> Wedges - :vokey-small:(50.08F,54.12D,58.10S) w. KBS $-Taper 120

|> Putter - :bettinardi-small:BB1-LN w. KBS GPS Tour Shaft

|> Ball - :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

|> Glove - :mizuno-small: Elite

|> Grips - Golf Pride Tour Velvet Plus 4

|> Shoes - :footjoy-small: Hyperflex Carbon

*If you need a fitting, visit Club Champion and use code HEWI1018 at checkout for 50% off

I've been a fan of Mizuno fairway woods for a long time.  I had a MP-001 three wood in my bag for years that I used off the tee (before I somehow found how to hit a driver and my swing slowed down and I needed a more flexible shaft).  Lately I put back into play a new Mizuno GT 180 three wood that I picked up on eBay.   I forgot how well I hit the Mizuno fairway woods.  So well that it kicked the Callaway Epic Flash that was in my bag.   

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

On 1/19/2023 at 12:54 PM, Middler said:

Why would it need to perform better at the same price instead of performing the same for the same? Seems like it would just be a matter of looks from there, no?

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

18 minutes ago, TR1PTIK said:

Why would it need to perform better at the same price instead of performing the same for the same? Seems like it would just be a matter of looks from there, no?

I’m not trying to convince you or anyone else how to choose (no right answer), I’m simply explaining how I decide. It’s more than just looks anyway, e.g. feel/sound, shaft choices, fitting options, etc. And this (below) means something to me when it comes to drivers/metals. Since I’m not interested in Callaway, TM, PXG or Cobra, it’s pretty easy for me to choose. I’m not giving up any performance choosing Titleist or PING - we all know that despite the marketing hype. 

452DA4D7-7792-45B8-A8CB-A0D5FB82D319.jpeg

• Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

• 2 weeks later...

Most people worry about resale value (I do not) and it restricts the selection pool for them. I have kept a Mizuno driver in the rotation since the JPX850. My all time favorite is the ST190 and I have hit my longest drives with it over the years. I love the color and I have it paired with an original Diamana Kai'Li Ion blue 70 X @ 44.75". It's one of the straightest and longest drivers I have ever hit. The one thing I think would really be a great add-on for ANY driver and FW is a full assortment of weights to allow the head to be balanced with pretty much any shaft available. 2g increments from 2 to 16 should be fine. Making that a standard thing would give them an edge on just about any other OEM.

BT

On 1/19/2023 at 1:54 PM, Middler said:

So here's the deal. I spent a lot of money getting fitted for the first time last year after many years of lessons and feeling it was time. Being a shorter guy, buying off the rack was definitely causing swing flaws to account for. I tested Cobra, Ping, TaylorMade, Titleist, Callaway, and Srixon in my fitting (along with quite the array of shafts and shaft lengths). After all was said and done we looked at a display that said Cobra was the longest, but the TaylorMade Stealth+ was the tightest dispersion. Not once did the fitter even mention the Mizuno drivers to me. We didn't see them or test them. But, when MGS did a quick article on the forgiveness of the STZ-220 it was perfect timing as the season was ending. I figured, I'll grab one and hit it for fun just to try it out then I can easily resell it to break even (got an "outlet demo" one still in the wrapper for $180 shipped). Nope. "Off the rack" this is easily the most forgiving driver I've hit and it was going the extra 10 yds the Cobra was compared to my Stealth+. The shaft isn't the same one I was using (the eBay store I snagged it from was out of my Smoke Blue when I ordered it), but that didn't matter.

Before you write them off, go demo one. Its so easy to demo clubs now that there is no excuse not to. Go walk into a Golf Galaxy and ask to hit something in a sim, or hit up Global Golf and use their UTRY to carry something for a couple rounds in whatever climate you live in. All I know is that my fitting taught me two things: Never write something off simply because another company spends more on marketing, and sometimes you need to tell the fitter what you want to do because they aren't going to give every company an equal shake. Sometimes the "performance advantage" comes from the person holding the club.

WITB:

Driver: TaylorMade Stealth+ 9° w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 70 XStiff
3W: Ping G425 w/ Ping Tour 75S

7W: Callaway Epic Flash 21°
5i-PW: Srixon ZX5
48°: Cleveland CBX 2
52° & 56°: Cleveland RTX 4 Tour Raw
Putter: Mizuno M-Craft VI

• 2 months later...

Recently went for a driver/woods fitting. Was looking to replace my 12 year old RBZ and my hand-me-down 3W and 4H. Came in with a bias for the Paradym woods based off of looks and reviews. Mizuno was not on my radar screen at all. But after hitting Paradym, Stealth, Ping, & Titleist and struggling to get spin numbers into the right range, the Mizuno STZ 230 solved all of my needs and gave me the best numbers by a country mile. Not even close. Have a hunch that the shorter standard shaft length (which has not really been a focus of their marketing) was really helping with consistency of strike and therefore ball speed & spin numbers. And the STZ 230 3W gave me 10 yards more carry and better dispersion than any of the other options.

So yeah, super impressed with the Mizuno STZ line and excited to get three new clubs in the bag (Driver, 15 deg 3W, 19 deg Hybrid).