Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

John Barry's "Beer of the Week"

JohnBarry

NP, thought about it, should have done it myself..now go enjoy yourself a quality low cost beer!!

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • SPY VIP

Much better choice this week John. Not a huge improvement over PBR though. :)

I will use your thread to plug mine. This week's Sactown offering will have a DIY component, stay tuned...

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Welcome to the second week of the best cheap beers very little money can buy. I hope everyone last week had a chance to grab an ice cold PBR and enjoy one of the Kings of Cheap Beer. American made and Brewed!

Today, keeping with the roughly no more than a 1.00 a beer theme, I welcome you to try:

909.jpg

Pours an amber color with less than an inch of white head that fades quickly. Hardly any lacing. It is a nice color but the lack of head and lacing take away from the score.

The aroma is subtle, with faint hints of caramel, pretzels/crackers, with some straw/hay.

Not much in the flavor department. Ill just say malty.

The mouthfeel is thin with too much carbonation.

Refreshing brew with no bad flavors. I could drink several of these. This would make a good "session beer."

Serving type: bottle

The label says, "Bock beer was traditionally brewed in Germany to celebrate the arrival of spring. Shiner Bock combines its old-world, Bavarian heritage with the ingenuity of American handcraft brewing for a smooth, rich, always satisfying taste." I'm not sure about that interpretation of bock history. And as far as "rich," well I really can't go along with that either. This is, however, a very approachable beer. It has many devoted fans and as one of the few American brews labeled bock, I wanted to try it for myself.

FRESH BREWED IN TEXAS...USA

John,

I did not get around to PBR this weekend, I still have lots of leftover beer from a party. I will get to it soon and report back.

On to this week's pick: I could not agree more! I LOVE Shiner! Unfortunately, it's not a "cheap" beer by me, it's in the same price range as Goose Island, SNPA, etc, but there are times when I'll walk in, won't look at anything else, pick up a case on Shiner, and leave. Shiner was one of the first beers I ever tasted, and I had it in Austin, Texas (Top 5 city, easily) while listening to great music with no cover charge. I think about that every time I crack one open, which is a large part of its appeal to me.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

That is the NorCal SNPA price. Brewery is only 70 miles from here...

I am JEALOUS!!!!!! Love me some SNPA!!! $8.00 every day in the OR. UGH.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

You can't complain. You get all the Oregon beers are un-export-taxed prices.

YEah, but I have to deal with the rain. That is Tax enough.

Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

So "Lovely Oregon" is said with a good deal of sarcasm?

I only complain about the rain so people will stay away. We want all the Californians to Go Back. We love it here. Oregon is truly one of the most beautiful places on the planet. There are not huge cities, so for urbanites, it might suck. We love it here. But it rains. A lot. So stay AWAY!!! :D

• SPY VIP

I only complain about the rain so people will stay away. We want all the Californians to Go Back. We love it here. Oregon is truly one of the most beautiful places on the planet. There are not huge cities, so for urbanites, it might suck. We love it here. But it rains. A lot. So stay AWAY!!! :D

Obviously your trip to seattle is to get away from that rain then...

Volvo Intorqueo

That's a good strategy. I've never heard anyone say one bad thing about Oregon. My wife is planning to visit a friend there this summer and I fully expect to hear about how great it is.

• SPY VIP

That's a good strategy. I've never heard anyone say one bad thing about Oregon. My wife is planning to visit a friend there this summer and I fully expect to hear about how great it is.

Oregon State is an excellent school too, Go Beavers.

:D

Volvo Intorqueo

Oregon State is an excellent school too, Go Beavers.

:D

I can't say anything bad about the school... but the town..... WOW.

• SPY VIP

I can't say anything bad about the school... but the town..... WOW.

It's no Isla Vista.

Let's Go Gauchos!!!

Only time today, I promise.

Good thing our tangent is in a casual beer thread.

Volvo Intorqueo

I'm pretty sure that everyone in Corvallis either ate lead paint chips as a child, or lives under power lines. That is the only explanation.

I'm pretty sure that everyone in Corvallis either ate lead paint chips as a child, or lives under power lines. That is the only explanation.

Wow, brutal. Does that apply to OSU students, or just the local folk? Is there anything there worth seeing, or should a potential tourist just avoid that altogether?

Wow, brutal. Does that apply to OSU students, or just the local folk? Is there anything there worth seeing, or should a potential tourist just avoid that altogether?

Just funnin. Corvallis is actually a pretty cool little town. I'd never live there, but I love the town I'm in. I just can't miss a chance to beat down on the Beavs.

262%20natural%20light.JPG

This Week's Cheap Good Beer of the Week is Natural Lite.

One of my favorite beers to actually drink from the can, this smooth, good tasting, less a dollar per can beer, is perfect for the golf course, or the cook out. It's a light, refreshing beer for those hot Summer days! It is of course "The Beer with a Taste for Food."

Natural Light

Introduced: 1977 Beer Category/Style: Value – American-style light lager. Taste Profile: Wonderfully blended, balanced and brewed for a consistently clean flavor, light body and satisfying refreshment. Ingredients/Brewing: Natural Light is brewed with a blend of premium American and imported hops, and a combination of malt and corn. Its longer brewing process produces a lighter body, fewer calories and an easy-drinking character. Community Highlights: Through its “Keep it Natural Carolinas” awareness and marketing program, the Natural brand family partnered with The Conservation Fund to help preserve North Carolina's outdoor heritage, particularly its land and water resources. Since its inception in 2000, the “Keep it Natural” program has supported the protection of more than 110,000 acres of wildlife habitat, working landscapes and recreation areas in North Carolina and South Carolina. In addition to the “Keep it Natural Carolinas” program, The Conservation Fund, Anheuser-Busch Companies and Natural Light have partnered on a national campaign to preserve a total of one million acres for the National Wildlife Refuge (NWR) System. Interesting Facts: Natural Light was Anheuser-Busch's first reduced-calorie light beer.beeramid.jpg

John Barry

The Golfer's Trip

While I applaud the preserving nature efforts of Natty Light, I can not applaud it's taste.

beer snob takes over for me here B)

Seconded. The pyramid is quite admirable, but Natty Light = canned water. Still haven't gotten a chance to try PBR, but I will get to that soon.

Natty Light is strictly a Summer Time refreshment beer, used instead of water or gatoraid!

John Barry

The Golfer's Trip

• SPY VIP

Natty Light is strictly a Summer Time refreshment beer, used instead of water or gatoraid!

My just mowed the lawn beer on a 100* day is Bud Light. Why should I look at Natty instead of this?

Volvo Intorqueo

Ins't a BL 30 pack like $4 now too though? :unsure:

In your honor, I will find a Natty Light tall can for the next mowing adventure.

Bud Light 30 pack for 4 bucks, Please, buy me 400.00 worth and I will pay the freight

John Barry

The Golfer's Trip

There is a cloud of shame over all of you, as I know hardly a PBR or Natural Light has been consumed, but the updates continue.

This Week, a Classic Beer makes the category:

ROLLING ROCK

This beer is pretty good, it must be served with a lemon or lime to bring out it's full potential. Widely underated the lemon takes the beer to a new level. Brewed since 1939 it's has found it's place on this of beers i'd drink again.

Try this beer, you will find yourself on your fourth before you know it.

I don't find this to be true, but it does taste good with a lemon or lime, I prefer them cold, straight out the bottle!

rolling-rock-beer.jpg

John Barry

The Golfer's Trip

• SPY VIP

Poor Rolling Rock

Never quite the same once it left the glass lined kegs in latrobe in 2006

We had some good times together in the 90's (remember halloween @ UCSB in '91? Wow!)

you are missed...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_Rock

Volvo Intorqueo

I know, the PA beer was the best, but I still like it, and it's a college beer I could never let go of. There is always Iron City!!

John Barry

The Golfer's Trip

Archived