Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Is the RBZ really the longest and most forgiving fairway wood out there right now?

Taylormade RBZ? Exotics CB4? Ping K15? Adams XTD? Another? Which 3 wood is the best combination of length and forgiveness out there right now? What say you?

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

Sorry guys - put this in the wrong area. Can you move it to U.S. Equipment? Thanks!

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

You know the answer: the one that fits you.

Anecdotally, I've seen people hit the RBZ and the XTD stoopid long. In the coming weeks, I'll be posting my own thoughts on the RBZ line. Hoping that I might get a chance to have a comparison between the RBZ and the Tour Edge XCG5. Might spend some launch monitor time with the XTD too.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Taylormade RBZ? Exotics CB4? Ping K15? Adams XTD? Another? Which 3 wood is the best combination of length and forgiveness out there right now? What say you?

Well I would say that TE CB4 is the most 'players' 3 wood that you have listed. It is sitting at 1* open so might be hard for some to hit it straight but a great club. I have the CB3 4wood (square face angle 16.5*) If I upgrade it will be to the CB4 4wood, I just have 4woods fit my game better.

Adams XTD and TM RBZ are both great clubs some people can't get over the top slot in the Adams lineup but the Flat Gray, I think is a little better looking then the bright white, I have not been able to get over the white head yet that is just me. Both are good selections, might need to change the shaft in the XTD not sure if their stock offering will fit you.

I have no experience with the Ping K15 so I will not comment on it.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

Have tried the RBZ on a couple of launch monitors, but the demo clubs didn't work for me. Tried the Adams on the range last week - pretty sweet, but wouldn't dump my Titleist 910 for either of them. It's long enough for me, and I like the look.

That said, my boss demo'd the RBZ at a Golf Town a couple of weeks ago and was ready to dump his wife and children for it.

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I'll put my PowerBilt Air Force One 3 wood up against them.....I used to play Cobra Fairway woods, but after hitting the PowerBilts, I had no reason to go back. They are long and straight....even for a mid-speed swinger like me (Driver Swing Speed 87-90 mph). My distance is usually 185-205 yds....and my 5 wood is solid 175 yds.

So anybody with a faster SS should be able to clock it.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

You know the answer: the one that fits you.

Anecdotally, I've seen people hit the RBZ and the XTD stoopid long. In the coming weeks, I'll be posting my own thoughts on the RBZ line. Hoping that I might get a chance to have a comparison between the RBZ and the Tour Edge XCG5. Might spend some launch monitor time with the XTD too.

Hey new Ping guy, sneak the K15 in there also. Golfspy T's review on this site spoke highly of it but I'd be very curious how it compares to the others. ;)

The XCG5 is the more forgiving model in the Exotics line, right? As a mid-handicapper, not sure I have the swing to hit the CB4 - even the 4 wood.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

The standard RBZ sat waaaay too closed for me. Long yes, but also long and left because of it being so closed.

The Tour RBZ still sits too square. I don't understand why the gurus at TMag couldn't put an FCT hosel on it so I could open it up and make it playable. I have the R11S in the bag for that reason.

The XTD is stupid long, and was longer than the RBZ for me, but it's also square.

Don't understand what the deal is with these square to closed fairways these days, but for guys that need them to sit slightly open, they don't work. I even tried assembling with a clock ferrule and it was still nearly dead square.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

The standard RBZ sat waaaay too closed for me. Long yes, but also long and left because of it being so closed.

This. I hit the standard RBZ stupid long and 95% of the shots I hit with it moved hard from right to left, with a few being way left. I'm getting ready to purchase a Wishon 949MC and I'm very interested/excited to test it out; I haven't decided what shaft I'm going to put in it yet, but the head only runs $61.50.

The RBZ wasn't really that long and I didn't really find it too forgiving. The head is far too big for me to reliably hit it off the turf. Longest so far has been the i20 which is decently forgiving.

I've got back to my two favorites though and switch them in and out (Octane Tour and S2)

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

This. I hit the standard RBZ stupid long and 95% of the shots I hit with it moved hard from right to left, with a few being way left. I'm getting ready to purchase a Wishon 949MC and I'm very interested/excited to test it out; I haven't decided what shaft I'm going to put in it yet, but the head only runs $61.50.

i havent hit the tour version yet, but the standard version i was hitting longer but 15 yards longer into the rough on the left also

Taylormade RBZ2 TP 9.5 Fuel 60

Ping i20 3 wood Aldila Nv

Adams Dhy 18*

Mizuno Mp59 4-p KBS Tour S

Vokey 50* 55* 60*

Scotty Cameron Select Newport 1.5

Ball - Z star XV

Oakley Stand Bag

I hit the RBZ against my Callaway FT 3w. Keep in mind the FT is 4 years old and generally a great 3w. On the launch monitor the RBZ was 1-2 yards longer. That's it. I also tried, and subsequently bought, the Adams XTD. I didn't use a launch monitor for comparison but took them head to head on the course. I consistently hit the XTD 10-15 yards longer than my FT and with a higher, more boring trajectory. I was putting balls out on the course I've never approached, even in the height or summer. Keep in mind my 3w ss is about 110 mph, and hit my ft off the tee about 260 with the XTD going 270-275 for a solid hit. By the transitive property, that puts the RBZ 8-13 yards behind the XTD. For me. I find the XTD smooth as silk and easy to hit off the deck. I can swing it smooth or go after it. My club builder says the the new Adams Super hybrids are even better clubs, if you can believe it. He said that a 17 degree super hybrid is probably as long as my current 3w! I'd love to try it, but I don't think I need a hybrid that long!

I hit the RBZ against my Callaway FT 3w. Keep in mind the FT is 4 years old and generally a great 3w. On the launch monitor the RBZ was 1-2 yards longer. That's it. I also tried, and subsequently bought, the Adams XTD. I didn't use a launch monitor for comparison but took them head to head on the course. I consistently hit the XTD 10-15 yards longer than my FT and with a higher, more boring trajectory. I was putting balls out on the course I've never approached, even in the height or summer. Keep in mind my 3w ss is about 110 mph, and hit my ft off the tee about 260 with the XTD going 270-275 for a solid hit. By the transitive property, that puts the RBZ 8-13 yards behind the XTD. For me. I find the XTD smooth as silk and easy to hit off the deck. I can swing it smooth or go after it. My club builder says the the new Adams Super hybrids are even better clubs, if you can believe it. He said that a 17 degree super hybrid is probably as long as my current 3w! I'd love to try it, but I don't think I need a hybrid that long!

That's actually my fear of the XTD, longer isn't always better. The RBZ creates a nice gap between my driver and 3H. Any more distance and it's almost like I have two drivers.

That's actually my fear of the XTD, longer isn't always better. The RBZ creates a nice gap between my driver and 3H. Any more distance and it's almost like I have two drivers.

Very true! However, for my course, another 10-15 yards on the 3w puts it into play nicely off the tee on several holes. So it works perfectly for me. And if I need to work it my former distance, I just choke down a few inches.

Archived