Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Opinion on Matching Driver Shaft to Fairway

NYBuckeye88

I’ve been doing long overdue top of the bag update this year, but I like to do my own R&D. So I know I could pay to get fit, but I’m trying to learn a bit on my own and like to tinker.

I ended up putting together a Tsr3 9* with a Ventus TR Blue 6x and it feels and performs (I think) perfect. I really didn’t get along with the HZRDUS black and I learned that I like a smoother profile, but nothing too loose (my prior shaft was a Speeder 661 6x).

I also put together the Tsr3 Hybrid 21* with the AD DI 9x and I’m 2/2 here in that it’s hitting the exact gap I’ve been trying to fill. I love the feel in this club too even though I think it’s a bit softer.

Now is where I’m trying to figure out the dreaded 3 wood. I’ve hit the titleist Tsr2 and 3, and liked them both, but am really brand agnostic (though obviously I’m getting along well with the Tsr lineup).  I’ve noticed that Cobra and Ping don’t charge a crazy amount to up charge to Ventus Blue TR in the fairways. Titleist seems to have a better deal for graphite designs, but $350 up charge on ventus from them just hurts too much.

All of this is to say, would I be safe matching the driver, or should I consider maybe something softer like an AD UB 3 wood in the 7x?

Current Setup:

Tsr3 9*, Ventus Blue TR 6x

Tsr3 15*, AD UB 7x

Tsr3 Hybrid 21*, AD DI Hybrid 9x

Ping i210 4-U, Red Dot, KBS C-Taper S+

Vokey SM9 54* & 58*, 

Taylormade GT Spider

For some it works and for others it doesn’t. All depends on how the golfer swings and what they need to optimize launch conditions.

Same shaft and go up a weight class in the fairway to account for weight. 

I have had same shaft and and same weight and also same shaft with heavier weight. 

Ive also had different shaft profiles where I’ve had a cb shaft in the driver and a non cb in the fairway. 

Ive had success with each setup but I’ve also been fit for each setup.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Thanks, my guess was this needs to be felt out.  I should clarify I was planning to go up in weight to a 7x (at least) in whatever 3 wood I choose.

My last bag iteration was the same speeder just going up in weight from the 60 gram rang to the 70 gram range.

Current Setup:

Tsr3 15*, AD UB 7x

Vokey SM9 54* & 58*, 

Taylormade GT Spider

Have the Tour AD DI 7S in my 3 wood and love it.  Tried the DI in 6S in Driver and it just wasn’t the same.  Ended up in the Tour AD VR 6S.

Cobra LTDx LS 9.0 TPT Power Range 18 LO

Cobra LTDx 3W lofted to 16.5 TPT 17 HI

Tour Edge E723 21 degree Diamana Thump f85 S

Cobra LTDx 24 degree 5 hybrid TPT 17 LO

Corey Paul - 5 & 6 CB with KBS $-Taper 120 Stiff Black

Corey Paul 7 - PW Japan Forged Minimalist Blades KBS $-Taper 120 Stiff Chrome

Corey Paul Functional Art 52, 56 & 60 all with BGT ZNE shafts

Odyssey O Works Black #7 with BGT Stability Tour Shaft, SuperStroke Traxion 3.0 & 75g CounterCore

Bridgestone Tour BRX or MaxFli Tour

Tracked by Arccos, Bushnell V4, Vessel Lux XV 2.0 bag, Bag Boy quad XL cart with Alphard V2 wheels

I find matching works for a lot of guys that hit their 3-wood off the tee a lot. It's doing the same job as the driver and and matching makes more sense. If your 3-wood is doing a different job than your driver, it makes sense to find a shaft that will work for that job.

Titleist TSi3 8º - LAGP DJ 65TX
Titleist TSR2 15º -  LAGP Tour AXS Blu 70X
PING iCrossover 3i - PING Tour Chrome 2.0 X
Mizuno MP-5,  4-9 C-Taper 
Mizuno T22 47.5º, 52º, 56º, 60º C-Taper

Scotty Special Select Newport 2 
Titleist Left Dash -ProV1x

I’m just basically reiterating what the others have said but it’s really player independent. 

For me I have 3 different shafts in my driver(autoflex 505xx), 3 wood(Xphlexxx Agera 70g X), and 5 wood(UST Elements Chrome 70g Stiff). I have never found fairway woods that I hit so well and they are going on multiple years in the bag(and I’m a massive club ho).  

Like the op part of the fun is experimenting and self fitting so I’m almost always changing or trying something but I have yet to want to mess with those fairways lol

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

I’m still looking for a small headed 12deg driver that I can use as 3wood and off the Tee, I have a mizuno widex ll driver but it’s offset and it hates me 😂 the search 👀 continues…

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

4 hours ago, GolfSpy_BNG said:

I’m just basically reiterating what the others have said but it’s really player independent. 

... True for all clubs but especially a fairway wood. Driver is high trajectory, low spin for stronger players but high trajectory and high spin for slower swing speeds. And even that is a generalization because there are many in-between those two extremes. Where you play, what kind of spin you produce, preferred trajectory and do you want more carry or roll or a good combination of both? All enter into the equation. For someone like myself that performs best with a mid everything shaft, a mid everything shaft has also worked well with my fairway woods. In the past I always had heaver shafts in my fairway woods so using a Tensei Blue 65 in my driver I played a Tensei Blue 75 in my fairway woods. I have found with modern fairway woods the lighter weight shaft works better for me so I have gone to 60gm shafts in my FW's. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

I love my fairway wood shafts so much I built my entire bag around them. Every shaft in my setup is similar their profit and I hit them all good. My driver now has a slightly different shaft profile but not too far off, I’m going to swap it for the same shaft soon. I thought this way was safe without doing a proper fitting and it’s worked for me. Cheers

Ping G410 LST 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F3 60X

Callaway X2 Hot 2 Deep 12.5* 

Adams XTD LSP 23* hybrid Aldila rogue black 85X

Nike VR Pro II Blades 5-PW w/ Modus 120X

Nike Wedges

PXG Putter

asked and answered. What everyone else has said. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

Thanks everyone, the top end of my bag is complete. Ended up getting the Tsr3 with the AD UB 7x 1/2” short and it feels great. First round out, I  hit the par 5 where I play in 2 from 260 out with a tight draw.  Needless to say I’m happy with the result.

Current Setup:

Tsr3 15*, AD UB 7x

Vokey SM9 54* & 58*, 

Taylormade GT Spider