Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Cleaning Club Grips

I use Golf Pride CP2 grips and rarely clean my grips and it stays tacky all of the time. I also use A copper tech glove and it feels like I have stick-em on my hand

tmlogo.JPG.0367b02a28c6a9fcb72d4b6aba7d1c5c.JPG

Driver - Taylormade Stealth 2

Fairway- Taylormade Stealth Plus

Hybrid - Taylormade SIM2

Irons - Taylormade Phantom Black

Wedges - Taylormade MG2

Putter - Taylormade Spider GT Notchback

Balls - Taylormade PIX

I use a toothbrush and dish detergent, rinse the grip under hot water, scrub the grips thoroughly, rinse under hot water again and towel dry after every round or practice session. Works great and grips last a really long time.
Question for the folks who wash their hats in the dishwasher, I have a cap shaper and washing them in the dishwasher works great, but can you wash bucket hats in the dishwasher without a hat shaper? Any suggestions?

On 6/20/2023 at 12:56 PM, Scott.Green said:

Hey Everyone, 

I play a couple times a month, clean my clubs fairly frequently but not necessarily after every round, although I do clean the faces after each shot to keep the spin on the wedges and irons as pure as I can. My question is does anyone know of a cleaner or technique that helps keep the tackiness and feel of the grips on the new side? Is there a product or process to keep  grips clean? Normal wear aside, especially on wedges, I'd really like to keep my grips as long as I can as I really don't want to keep spending money on new grips every time the irons start to slip a bit more. For argument's sake, I play Golf Pride Velvet grips on my Ping Irons and Titliest wedges

I scrub my grips about every 6 - 10 plays.  I found whitewall cleaner ("Bleach white" brand) works great.  The combination of this, a medium brush, & a bucket of water has not failed me in years.  I can get several seasons out of a grip and I do not wear a golf glove.  If you have sensitive skin, the manufacturer suggests using protective gloves, like they sold for Covid use.

I have been using warm water and a scrub brush with brass bristles to clean my clubs. Then use a dry towel on the grips and put them back in the bag. The combination of the roughness of the brass bristles and the warm water restores the tackiness of the grips

My favourite method is a particular type of whitewall /tire cleaner - I think it has a rubber softening ingredient which restores tackiness to a very high level- and really cleans well when you use a nylon brush. I suspect, being designed for tires, that it has some potential  chemical exposure, but I’ve found no danger in using so far. Here is an example from Canada that I use.

IMG_2405.jpeg

Titleist T300 (2022) 5-PW, W48, W53 plus Taylormade Full Face 56 SW 

Current  driver Titleist TSi3

Hybrids Titleist 818 19 H2 23 H2

Gamer Putter Nike Method Matters B1-07

Ball Titleist Tour Speed / Taylormade Tour Response

Bag is Titleist Linksmaster 

Pushcart is Kaddey

Rangefinder is Voice Caddie SL2

Shotscope club tags 

On 6/20/2023 at 6:56 PM, Scott.Green said:

Hey Everyone, 

I play a couple times a month, clean my clubs fairly frequently but not necessarily after every round, although I do clean the faces after each shot to keep the spin on the wedges and irons as pure as I can. My question is does anyone know of a cleaner or technique that helps keep the tackiness and feel of the grips on the new side? Is there a product or process to keep  grips clean? Normal wear aside, especially on wedges, I'd really like to keep my grips as long as I can as I really don't want to keep spending money on new grips every time the irons start to slip a bit more. For argument's sake, I play Golf Pride Velvet grips on my Ping Irons and Titliest wedges

Never use washing up liquid for your grips.  It's oil based.

I use a product used in auto/mechanical workshops called Swarfega.  It's actually water based.

The implications of using oil based products on rubber compounds should be fairly obvious.

When washing grips use a nail brush, neat Swarfega and rinse under a running tap, (fawcett).  And don't forget to hold your finger over the hole in the end.

Just dry off with a tea towel and leave to air dry fully.

They'll feel like brand new.

I play Win DriTec wrap grips, because I can never find gloves that fit my size 20 ring fingers.  They are very soft and I need to change the high usage clubs about every 25 round because my left thumb wears a whole in the surfaces.  

What I have found that helps on sweaty days is rosin.  I get a new rosin bag every other year.  The rosin dries sweat like baby powder but is taki on the grip. 

Driver: Titleist TSR 3 10* Accura TZ6 M3 65g

Fairways: Callaway Rogue 15* & 19* Matrix Ozik TP 6 HD stiff 

Hybrid: Titleist TSI 4 & 5 Hybrids Mitsubishi Tensi AV 65 HY X stiff   

Irons:  KZG Forged III 6-P Accura iS7 (Refinished and regrooved)

Wedges: Cleveland CBX  50*, Taylormade MG 3 Tiger grind 56 bent to 54/10 & Taylormade MG 4 Tiger grind 56 bent to 58/14

Putter: Positive Putter's Custom P2 (think Edel putter meets Heavy Putter)

Ball: Callaway Chome Tour                        

All clubs have Winn Dri-Tac Wraps oversized

On 6/20/2023 at 2:57 PM, Jonesie said:

same goes for my collection of golf/baseball hats. Once the “sweat ring” is showing after a couple of rounds, dunk in a warm water dish soap solution for 30-40 second soak then gently brush ring around the cap area and hose rinse out on the deck. Air dry on a flat space or clipped to a hanging rack and you’re all set!

Ive got some 5year old hats with many rounds and wash cycles that look great! Just don’t over soak. Like 5 min or more or your cardboard bill will suffer integrity  

I bought a Ballcap Buddy (https://ballcapbuddy.com/) that fits in the dishwasher while maintaining the shape of the bill during washing & drying.

NOTE: If you are married or cohabitate with someone, this may take some explanation 😬

:callaway-small: Epic Flash

:cobra-small: King F8 3W

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Max 7W

:ping-small: G425 4i-PW

:cleveland-small: CBX2 50/54/58

:bettinardi-small: Inovai 6.0

:taylormade-small: Tour Response or :wilson_staff_small: Triad (both thanks to MGS testing) 

To me, this is an odd thread. For a number of years when I was stationed in Florida for a couple of tours in the Navy, I never cleaned my grips, despite the humidity I experienced there. For a number of years, I suppose it was because I was using full cord grips, which, to this day, over 30 years later, are quite serviceable(Lambkin V-grip cords. I wish they still made them). IMHO, excessive cleaning only accelerates the wear on grips, which should normally be changed on a regular basis anyway

Not cleaning hats gives them character. Never saw the need to do it and never will.

Callaway Rogue ST MAX 10.5

Takomo 101 Irons

all 4 Tokomo SkyForger wedges

Fill a sink with warm water( not too hot), and enough dish soap to make it sudsy. I use a soft nylon scrub brush. Wet the brush thoroughly, and hold club slightly upside down, and gently brush grips with brush, turning club, and reweting brush as needed. Do not dip clubs in water, and do not rinse! After cleaning, take a dry towel(not paper towels), and pat grip dry. Don't need to rub. I also clean club face with brush, and you can dip the club head if needed, and dry with towel. Then, I wipe shaft with towel, and let grips air dry, by standing up someplace, either inside, or outside. When dry, they will feel tacky again. Been doing this for years, and my grips last a long time.

Driver-Ping g410 SFT, 3W-Callaway Diablo Octane, Hybrids-Snake Eyes Viper 18*+ 21*, Irons-GigaGolf Reva Hybrid Irons 24*- 46*, Wedges-Cleveland CBX2's 50*54*58*, Putter-Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11c

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/22/2023 at 12:43 AM, Will_Mac said:

I've used this for many, many years. The solution long gone, just a drop of dishwashing soap goes a long way.

They're still available, or were when I last checked some months back. After so many years and uses, the bristles within the cylinder are still very firm and every bit as effective as when new.

I can clean a whole set in minutes. Irreplaceable tool, imo.
776ed0f9170172f19953afbcf73948a1.jpg

I just bought this so I'm hoping this works as well as you say! I have some ClubDoctor cleaner so hopefully the combination of the two will do the trick!

Driver - Titleist TSR3 

3-wood- PING G10 

3 Hybrid- Taylormade M2 

Irons- Taylormade R9 

Gap Wedge- Cleveland CG12 

Lob wedge- Cleveland CG10 

Putter- Odyssey 2-Ball White hot