Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

SwingU Golf App - 2023 Forum Review

Message added by GolfSpy_APH,

Follow testers main posts in the links below!

@tdc1 TESTING POST

@acatalano32 TESTING POST

@Bluesman57 TESTING POST

@MuniGolfer TESTING POST

@DeBartola_B TESTING POST

@Dave73nl TESTING POST

Community Call Live Q&A Video Link - July 6, 2023 - https://youtu.be/4msAyJau5Nw

34 minutes ago, Wrong_Fairway said:

This is the danger of getting too into the weeds on any one round of golf as you can draw incomplete or skewed conclusions whereas the system is designed to identify weaknesses / low-hanging fruit for improvement over numerous rounds.

Yep totally understand this.  As with most metrics they are better when there is a larger set of data included, looking forward to getting more data in there.  Just trying to figure out how the sausage is made.

Thanks for the quick responses!

Driver - Cobra LTDx LS 9* Silver Rouge 110 msi 70 X

3W -Titleist TSR2 15* TENSEI 1K Black 75

5W - Cobra LTDx 18.5* TENSEI 1K Black 75

Irons - 4-PW Cobra LTDx Nippon Tour 120 X-Stiff

Wedges - 52*, 56*, 60* Cobra KING

Putter - Toulon Palm Springs

Ball - Taylormade TP5x

SwingU GPS/Stats App -- Final Review

Before getting into my review I would like, once again, to thank MGS and SwingU for the opportunity.

As I said in my introductory post in this thread I am relatively new to on-course technology having gotten my first GPS watch (ShotScope G3) in 2021 and my first rangefinder (Nikon Coolshot 50i) in 2022. Before that I was a find-a-sprinkler-head-and-walk-it-off kind of guy. I first started playing at the age of 40, and now, at 72, I am firmly ensconced in the Mid-mid Handicapper range (15.8 index in April, 14.6 today). I play the equivalent of 100+ 18-hole rounds a year (almost all in Michigan and probably 60% 9-hole rounds); I walk approximately 85% of time; and, I pretty much never play alone or purely for practice. (Yes, I know, my index and SwingU both say I should do much more of the latter.)

I have used the app on 44 occasions between June 29 and September 4 on 4 different courses. The app is installed on an iPhone SE (2nd Gen) for use on course, and an iPad for review/revision at home.

Download/Installation (4.5/5) The app downloaded and installed quickly and easily. It is important to watch the videos on the SwingU homepage to understand the terminology used for the advanced data input on the scorecard.  There is also a fairly extensive FAQ section.  One thing that I would have appreciated, however, is what I refer to as a “talk to me like I’m an idiot” video or slide pack or document — a step-by-step reference guide that walks me through from download to set-up to using the app on the course.  Some (much?) Of the app’s functions are self-explanatory but be prepared to need to root around in the app for a while to become proficient in its use.

Functions (20/20) The app has a wide variety of functions, including:

Scorecard
    GPS/Satellite View
    Club tracking (on course)
    Green maps (select courses)
    Post-round Analysis  (by Round or with Basic Stats or Advanced Stats)
    Club distance (average length of tracked shots by club)
    Strokes Gained
    Video Tips and Drills

I have not used an app like this before so I’m not sure what, if anything, it is missing.  I am more than satisfied with the type and number of functions available.

Functionality (56/70) The following comments mostly relate to the functions I have used most.  

Scorecard: There are a couple of options for the way in which you fill out your scorecard and the way the post-round summary is presented.

The “simple” scorecard notes total Score (1-15), Putts (0-6), Penalty (0-4), Drive (fairway hit, left or right, fat or thin), and shots from Sand (no or yes). However, there is no place to note GIR.  This scorecard corresponds most closely to the kind of info I keep on a physical scorecard and what hole-by-hole data on the GHIN app.

Another scorecard option includes the data SwingU uses for its strokes gained algorithm. As with the scorecard above, Score (1-15) and Putts (0-9) are included. Drive is also included but with different metrics (Hit FW, Good Lie, Bad Lie, No Shot, Penalty, OB/Lost). In addition other metrics are used: length of 1st Putt (None - 99'), Chip/Pitch < 50 yards [short of Green] (None, Hit , Miss), and Sand < 50 yards [short of Green] (None, Hit, Miss). The metrics for Approach are broken down into Distance (None, 50+ to 250+ in increments of 25 yards); Lie (Fairway, Rough, Sand); and Duff/Penalty (No or Yes).         
The same hole and score would appear like this in the two scorecards:

Screenshot2023-09-04at6_00_14PM.png.37dd4797e92072ef5f89ac9f4ede1962.png

What I refer to as the “simple” scorecard is very straightforward to use.  The other scorecard took some time to adjust to especially when applying SwingU’s definitions of “Approach” and “Duff” to my play.  Fortunately, if the app detects a conflict between score and stroke allocation it will ask if I want to fix the error or save score anyway.

Also, the scorecard can be edited post-round.

GPS/Satellite Overview: Both the GPS and Satellite overview provide clear and, in my experience, accurate information.  Yardages to Front/Middle/Back of greens as well as to hazards was the same as my ShotScope and Nikon numbers (and 5-8 yards more accurate on some holes than the built-in GPS system on the carts provided by my home course).  The app also gives the option to view (or not view) "Plays Like”, "Recommended Club", "Wind", and "Elevation" as well as hide the satellite overview.

Screenshot2023-09-04at11_20_46AM.png.a65ebe6761356bebcd41f70ec16e8123.png

Yardages to hazards are easy to plot, as well, simply by tapping the screen.

Screenshot2023-09-04at6_31_24PM.png.d428f92bb99d8954299d29ae57b6a927.png

It is also possible to preview an upcoming course from home.  This feature gives satellite view as well as distance measuring possibilities, a nice feature if you are scheduled to play an unfamiliar course (and quicker than Google Earth).

Shot-Tracking: It is possible to individualize your club set up.  Once you are ready, tap “Track” and choose your club.  The app will tell when it is ready to track.  When you reach your ball tap “End Tracking” to see the shot length.  You also have the option to “Delete” a shot as well.  The app keeps a running total of the number of times you have tracked a shot with each club and provides an average length in post-round review.

Screenshot2023-09-04at12_40_34PM.png.28322be014179832384bbe0dc08449bc.png

Two small issues arose when using Club Tracking:  (1) on occasion “End Shot” did not, in fact, end the shot — hence my 400+ yard 8-iron shot on one hole; and (2) there can be a lag time between ending one shot and beginning to track another shot; eventually I got in the habit of ending tracking for one shot, and then hitting my next shot before asking the app to track the second shot.

Post-round Analysis:  Upon completion of a round, closing and saving the scorecard will post the results to the SwingU website (this happens within seconds and generates an automatic e-mail reminder that the round has been saved).  Then the “fun” begins!  There are multiple ways to look at the data — too many for me to always know how to use and appreciate.

Upon login to the SwingU website the following options appear.

Screenshot2023-09-04at2_15_50PM.png.538b1228fd3e2e9f5c2ac917ef9f9658.png

Clicking “Rounds” brings up a list of recent rounds, each of which can be accessed individually. 

Screenshot2023-09-04at6_48_35PM.png.0c3423d2fb644fa6b595afadbc8aa00f.png

Clicking on an individual round brings up that round based on the scorecard.  Clicking on any of the tabs (Stats, Driving, Approach, etc.) calls up charts and graphs that show performance using SwingU’s version of Strokes Gained.  Also included is a suggested practice priority based on that round.

Screenshot2023-09-04at6_42_56PM.png.8bd58bcde3b92ea04d1d096ae9f91da6.png

The other tabs on the SwingU homepage provide additional statistical analysis.      

Advanced Stats is broken down into 8 categories and can be sorted by 4 parameters.

Screenshot2023-09-04at6_43_16PM.png.d55da4a0dcbfb36ced27bd9b33d2d386.png

The Basic Stats tab gives a “big picture” view of the state of my game.  [Big sigh.]

Screenshot2023-09-04at2_42_40PM.png.beb936d4668468b68a04b4e65825c17f.png

And, the Clubs tab shows distance of tracked shots as well as an average for each.

Screenshot2023-09-04at3_05_07PM.png.ceb53db8935c3c5e0b53d3098e9e25c0.png

Video Tips and Drills  Each day the app offers a “Today’s Tip.”  Clicking the Drills tab brings up a wider selection of videos attuned to specific shots or other subjects.  These videos are succinct and feature a variety of instructors/coaches.

Screenshot2023-09-04at7_02_28PM.png.4724df709e75492727de1c25313ecdf1.png

Green Maps  Unfortunately, none of the courses I have played to date are included in SwingU’s data base so I do not know how well this part of the app works.

Overall Assessment:  89/100

Download/Installation (4/5)  As previously noted, the installation was fast and easy.  One thing that I would have appreciated, however, is what I refer to as a “talk to me like I’m an idiot” section — a video or slide deck or document that serves as a step-by-step reference guide that walks me through from download to set-up to using the app on the course.  Some (much?) of the app’s functions are self-explanatory but be prepared to need to root around in the app for a while to become proficient in its use.  There is a learning  curve, especially if you are like me and have not used an app like this before.

Functions (20/20) I have not used an app like this before so I’m not sure what, if anything, it is missing.  I am more than satisfied with the type and number of functions available.

Functionality (60/70)

Things I liked:
        (1) “Simple” scorecard;
        (2) Keeping track of shot length by club;
        (3) Hole overview;
        (4) Accuracy of yardages;
        (5) Post-round summaries;             
        (6) Video lessons.

Things I liked (with qualifications):
        (1) Club tracking when it was working properly (a very minor problem but still and issue at times);

(2) The more detailed scorecard (in Versus) — did I mention there is a learning curve?  Yes, the video explanations of how this “strokes gained” system    works and why “Approach Shot” and “Duff” are defined as they are but it still creates dissonance for me.

Things I didn’t like:
        (1) Default “Round Type” — the app gives 3 options: Standard which includes Plays Like information, Wind speed and direction, Elevation change, and club recommendation, as well as distances to F/M/B of green;  Qualifier shows only distances to F/M/B of green; Tournament only displays distance to M of green.  Standard is the default round type.  Depending on how strict a person is about rules for posting scores for handicap or type of event you might be playing, this default setting could become an issue (yeah, yeah, I know — “You can take the  boy out of Catholic school but you can’t take the Catholic School out of the boy.”). I would have preferred to have to “opt-in” for this advanced information rather than “opt-out.”                                                                                                                                                                                      (2) Battery usage — as I stated at the beginning I am running the app on a 2nd Gen iPhone SE and SwngU has been a battery hog.  In fact, I had to  abandon the app after the 13th hole of round because it had drained the battery from over 90% to just %5.  There is a section in the FAQ about how prevent excess battery use but even following those suggestions I still face issues so I often stop using it after 9-holes.  This issue with the battery may well be caused by the age of the phone and the ways in which I need it to function while on the course but I do not know for sure. 
        (3) A sense of being rushed to keep up with my playing partners while still using the app, especially the scorecard.  Again as I said in the intro, I very rarely play by myself.  Also, I do not have a membership at a private club so my home course is usually pretty busy.  I play with a group of 8-10 others who are all about my age and are split 50/50 between walkers and riders who play ready golf and do so fairly quickly.  I feel bad enough standing in the fairway and trying to get club tracking sorted out while there is a group behind me ready to tee off let alone when I feel like I am holding my own group up while trying to remember if I had a SwingU Duff on the previous hole and how long my SwingU Approach shot was.  This is 100% on me but still felt I needed to mention it here.  (I feel a little bit better for unloading that.)

(4) The course scorecard for my home course is a bit off.  The course used to have 27-holes divided into Blue, White and Red nines.  Currently there are only 18 — White and Red.  If I select the White/Red combo option, the scorecard is correct; if I choose White or Red the first hole on each side (#1 and #10) are incorrect.  It took a few rounds before I could put my finger on why my physical card and my SwingU card dod not match.  SwingU is aware of this issue.  I did not encounter this scorecard inconsistency at any of the other 3 courses where I have used the app.

Miscellaneous (5/5)  Overall, I have enjoyed my time with the SwingU app despite my occasional struggles with it and will continue to use it.  Also, my interactions with the SwingU staff have been nothing less than great.  I like to believe that it is not just because I am testing their product but because they want their product to improve, so thumbs up to Product Support!

Addendum  During the time that I have been using the SwingU app my handicap has come down by over one full stroke — 15.3 to 14.1.  Is this change exclusively due to the app?  Probably not since I already have been working very hard on alignment and ball position (two long-time weaknesses of mine).  However, SwingU data has provided additional input into helping me understand my game.  According to SwingU data: (1) I am a better sand player than I thought I was; (2) I need to spend significantly more time on Approach shots (especially in the 150-175 yard range); (3) my distance with driver is going up (yea!) But I am still to erratic (boo!); and (4) my short game (<50 yards from the green) is also getting a little better.  The data from SwingU is in the front of my mind every time I arrive at the course, and in the background whenever I choose clubs for approach shots (I am determined to reduce the number of missed greens simply by simply under-clubbing).  While the “big picture” view of my game the SwingU data provides has been very helpful, the consistent post-round analysis helps define short-term goals for long-term improvement.

Edited by tdc1
Format errors; correct mistakes; additional information

Driver:  Ping G425 Max (10.5º; Regular )

Fwy:  Cobra King SZ (3; Regular); Ping G410 (5; Regular)

Hybrids: Ping G410 (22º and 26º; Regular)

Irons: Cleveland Launcher XL (6-U)

Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 (54º/12º), and Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 (58º/8º)

Putter:  Ping Karsten Anser X

• 2 weeks later...

My final review is up:

Twitter/X summary headline:

a smartly designed strokes gained app that will help track and improve your golf game.

Driver: Ping G425 LST, Otto Phlex UST MP5 or GD AD-TP 6X

3 Wood: Nike Covert Tour (@16 deg), Fujikura Motore Speeder

5 Wood: Nike Covert Tour (@20 deg), Fujikura Motore Speeder 

4i Hybrid: Titleist 913h (@24 deg), Diamana Blue Board hybrid

Irons: Taylormade P790 (5-6) & P770 (7-AW), KBS C-Taper 130x (Soft-stepped 1x)

Wedges: Taylormade MG3 TW grind 56 (@55) & 60, KBS C-Taper 130x (Soft-stepped 2x)

Putter: Sacks Parente 91 aka "The Duke", 34 inches

Ball: Taylormade TP5

My Twitter/X summary headline:

'High potential for low handicap golfers, a bit to much on first glance for high handicappers who already use a Garmin watch'.

Driver:           :PXG:0811 XF GEN4 10,5 Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Blue 60 regular shaft.

Hybrids:        :cobra-small:  FLY-Z 3/4/5 , VLCT ALTUS R-flex 75gr. shaft.

Irons:             :cobra-small:  Speedzone One Length Irons 5-GW - KBS Tour 90 Regular shaft.

Wedges:        ST8TS Tour T Wedges 52-56-60 + 1,5cm KBS regular shaft.

Putter:            MLA Tour XDream 'Black Edition' Superstroke 3.0 slim (standard 34")

Ball's:             :honma: D1 and TW-X for the moment till i can find a better deal 😉

Rangefinder:  Garmin Fenix 6X Pro, ZIYOUHU Chinese laser, Garmin Approach X40., SwingU app.

Privileged to been testing the MLA Tour XDream BLACK EDITION SuperStroke 3.0 slim AND SwingU app for MyGolfSpy!

• 1 month later...

-- UPDATE -- 

First Impressions (9 of 10)

On first inspection, one of the main changes is aesthetic. This seems to make it a little easier to navigate than the last version. It’s not a huge shift, but I think it is a welcome one. It is mostly on the stats and round recap pages. I will go over the details in later sections. I am increasing my original score by 1 point here as the app just feels a little nicer. 

Update1.png.cab51a3fb78eeb85aa492d6967ab97b3.png

Aesthetics (19 out of 20) 

As mentioned above, the aesthetic change is in the stats section. Everything looks a little cleaner. I think the navigation is clearer to visualize what you are looking at; however, the click through nature of the update, versus the scroll through functionality of the previous version, may be slightly less user friendly in actual use. It’s really tough to say for sure, and it may differ by user, but I think the change improves the UI functionality. I am going to increase the score here by 2 points to reflect the improvement.

Update2.jpg.7f2f0116e22b2aa47251ddfc587afd57.jpg

Update3.jpg.6a9df75a90246a9db18b1ae6686dba11.jpg

The Numbers (15 out of 20)

At first, I saw no changes in the numbers. Everything seemed the same, but formatted differently. As I dug in, this was mostly the case, and you can see the old style visualizations on the SwingU website if you prefer the old graphs. One glaring difference for me is that strokes gained stats for par 3 courses are no longer available. This, to me, makes absolutely no sense. If a launch monitor can perform a strokes gained calculation on range shots and the only difference between a par 3 course and a regular course is the Strokes Gained off the tee become just an N/A, I don’t understand the point of this change. Approach, Around the Green, and Putting are all still relevant and were previously calculated without issue. For most, this won’t be a big deal, but I utilize the par 3 course at my local club to practice and find it very helpful to track how I am progressing. This has caused me to look into other apps and/or use my old strokes gained spreadsheet. Both my spreadsheet and golfity are able to calculate for par 3 courses, no problem, so I am going to deduct 2 points from my original score here. Since most stats apps don’t include my par 3 course at all, the by hole stat entry is more streamlined and the overall breakdown of your numbers is much more in depth in SwingU than many of the others I mentioned in my original review and have tried since the update, that’s as far as I am willing to go down. I was really excited about having my regular rounds and practice tracked all in one place, but that may no longer be the case. I may have to split them up, unless I find another app that I like as much and can handle it all. That, or maybe SwingU will change it back in a future update.

Update4.jpg.e2c2775223bf51cb1369002280b30a65.jpg

Round Breakdown Driving: New on the left, old on the right.

Update5.jpg.500921db3225b3ca73ef621166fd7483.jpg

Round Breakdown Approach: New, left; old, right

Update6.jpg.6af9e53658df4e9621e6cb54a7f07259.jpg

Round Breakdown Chip/Pitch and Sand: New, left; Old, right

Update7.jpg.9fbfbc36050dca092fd5b1741a1b6fed.jpg

Round Breakdown Putting: New, left; Old, right

Update8.jpg.7dd71961a06bc6e58a0655ac0697f5e2.jpg

Update9.jpg.f084a799610d0f02827571d53e26f963.jpg

Images above showing the par 3 course data tracking, but missing stokes gained reports

On The Course (17 out of 20)

There really aren’t any changes here, other than the par 3 course numbers I described above. However, the data entry for par 3 courses hasn’t changed, just the stats after, so I am not going to count that in two sections as I feel that is unfair.

The Good, the bad, the in-between (8 out of 10)

The Good:

Better aesthetics and clearer navigation through the post round breakdown.

The bad:

No more par 3 course data tracking and aggregation.

The in-between:

Not much change here. 

Going to keep the same score for this section as my original review.

Play it or Trade it? (17 out of 20)

I am docking this down 2 points from my original review. The changes have made me question whether I will continue to use this full time and if I want to pay for the next year. The score is still fairly high, since the quality for the data and reporting is second to none that I have found, so much so that I still want to use it for my full rounds.

Conclusion

SwingU is still a great strokes gained and stats tracking app. I stand by my original conclusion that its, “simple strokes gained stats entry, caddy features, green maps, and practice help are second to none.” If you don’t play par 3 courses, or care about tracking your stats when you do, then the app has only got better. In fact, I probably wouldn’t have noticed the change if I didn’t use a par 3 course for approach, short game, and putting practice. If that doesn’t matter to you, add 7 points to my review score. That’s how I would rate the updates without that, which shows just how good this app is.

Original Review Score (86 out of 100)

Updated Score (85 out of 100)

Wedges: Taylormade MG3 TW grind 56 (@55) & 60, KBS C-Taper 130x (Soft-stepped 2x)

• 1 month later...

Hey Testers! Have there been any updates to the app since most of you have posted? Did you continue to use the app?

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

@GolfSpy_APH The posting season ended for me on October 31 at which point I switch to a half set of clubs and spend more time experimenting than worrying about how I'm playing.  SwingU has sent us messages about updates and changes in appearance that I have not bothered with.  Frankly, I kind of gave up on the app late in the season except for tracking shot distance and, occasionally, looking at some of the instruction videos.  I just got frustrated with the mechanics of entering information (as well as the inaccuracies of things like slope/rating/yardage).

Having said that, I will probably return to using the app when posting season reopens next April if for no other reason than to see if I can get more proficient at using it.

Driver:  Ping G425 Max (10.5º; Regular )

Fwy:  Cobra King SZ (3; Regular); Ping G410 (5; Regular)

Hybrids: Ping G410 (22º and 26º; Regular)

Irons: Cleveland Launcher XL (6-U)

Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 (54º/12º), and Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 (58º/8º)

Putter:  Ping Karsten Anser X

2 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Hey Testers! Have there been any updates to the app since most of you have posted? Did you continue to use the app?

I used it all season from when I got it, until it started snowing this week. I did post an updated review for the latest version updates. I think it’s mostly improved and I will continue to use it this upcoming season (and hopefully winter if we get some warm days and the snow doesn’t pile up). One thing I noticed on my last round is I hit the ball really well, but the fairways were rock hard and rolling like a freeway. Even though I was hitting the shots I wanted to, and often wasn’t in a bad position, the late fall rough meant I got a lot of bad lies and rolled into holes that I had to just chop out of. The ball just rolled out so far I kind of got screwed, both in scoring and stats of the tee. This course is very position based, so the roll was not helpful. This isn’t a knock on the app really, it can only process what I put in, but the recommended practice was much different than where I was truly struggling.

On 11/26/2023 at 7:22 AM, GolfSpy_APH said:

Unfortunately the Fall time is the hardest for me to get on the course, haven't played a round since early October.  But football season is winding down and I have a trip scheduled for New Years in Florida, I will fire it back up and send in an update post in early January. 

Driver - Cobra LTDx LS 9* Silver Rouge 110 msi 70 X

3W -Titleist TSR2 15* TENSEI 1K Black 75

5W - Cobra LTDx 18.5* TENSEI 1K Black 75

Irons - 4-PW Cobra LTDx Nippon Tour 120 X-Stiff

Wedges - 52*, 56*, 60* Cobra KING

Putter - Toulon Palm Springs

Ball - Taylormade TP5x