I Did Something Today: Moved To Forward Tees!

I need to play the forward tees at my home course once for the heck of it, just to see how differently the holes play. I played from the blues once and it was cool to have to use different clubs for shots. 

Driver: :titleist-small: GT3 9|Tour AD-UB 6S (testing in progress)

Fairways: :titleist-small: GT2 15 & 18|Tour AD-UB 7S (testing in progress) |:cobra-small: Aerojet Max 7|Kai'Li White 70X

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H|MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW|KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :titleist-small: Vokey SM10 52.12F|56.12D|True Temper Vokey Wedge Flex

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour & :titleist-small: ProV1

#LeftyGang

Titleist GT Long Game Test (Link Here)

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

I've considered doing this just to see if I can score decently well. I've done it once that u can think of, I was playing persimmon woods and blades and needed all the help I could get. 

I'm pretty sure I played the silver tees which are the next set back during the Cobra Anniversary Challenge irons only round. 

I've heard that some pros and college coaches support the idea of playing forward. It builds confidence. 

The USGA actually has been pushing what they call “play it forward”.  The idea is to try to get folks to the right tees. Often times we use age (my club does) but the real factor is how far you hit the ball.  There are a couple different math formulas used to help make tee decisions.  I read an article that said no player should be hitting a club longer than a 6 iron into the green.  This is assuming your tee shot found the fairway or at least close to the fairway.  

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

I have more than enough distance to play far back tees, but ad 90% of the ppl I play with play up I often will play up with them. It's not a huge difference truthfully. There are a few holes it is, but most are similar. 

It's important to play what's comfortable and makes the game enjoyable. Split tees, moving up or whatever else. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

3 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

I have more than enough distance to play far back tees, but ad 90% of the ppl I play with play up I often will play up with them. It's not a huge difference truthfully. There are a few holes it is, but most are similar. 

It's important to play what's comfortable and makes the game enjoyable. Split tees, moving up or whatever else. 

This is so true. Great point. I have seen courses that included recommendations for tee selection based on handicap.  They put a range of required handicaps next to each tee on the score card and again on the tees that first tee box.  I have also seen at least two courses that required a handicap of less than 10 to play. Both courses had 36 holes so the lower handicap folks played one course while the higher ones played the other.  It was interesting to say the least.  

Edited by SteddyGolf

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

good future gaming to you!

more than half the courses local to me, and some I travel to play, have moved to the handicap/drive distance Screenshot_20231016_054144.jpg.e82e713c1c9bc48363eace09790bb0c8.jpgteebox system.  

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

With my home course being a destination/resort course, I wish we had something like this.  Too often guests playing the course for the first time will look exclusively at the yardage, determine that it's too short and move to the back tees.  The issue is that they don't know what they don't know!  Our fairways are tight, there's water, OB and/or mangroves on every hole and they are playing at sea level.  The last time I played with a guest who had never played the course before and immediately moved to the back tees, he had to quit after 15 holes.  He ran out of the two dozen balls he brought with him!

For fun, I looked up the Capital Hill Judge course to check out how the tee recommendation would work for me.  My index today is 12.5.  I'd be a 14 from the orange tees (which plays 6577 yards, 71.7/131 for a par 72), 12 from the white tees (plays 6120 yards, 69.9/130) and 8 from the gold tees (which they must have added after the marker was built plays 5215 yards, 65.9/116).  I'd be hard pressed to play the suggested orange tees, the white tees would be pushing my distance capability and the gold tees might actually just a little short.  Then again, looking at the course hole by hole pictures, the golds might be just right! 

At least this type of recommendation gives you a starting point to look at the scorecard in more detail, honestly assess your game and choose the tees that gives you the best chance of enjoying your time on the course (and not losing two dozen golf balls).

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

On 10/14/2023 at 11:34 AM, Golf2Much said:

Aging, a linty of physical impairments and an antiquated men's league rule for which tees a player can play has prevented me from making the dreaded move from the white tees (6035 yards, 69.5 and 129 for a par 70) to the golf tees (5450 yards, 67.7 and 124).  The men's league has an 85 rule:  your age plus handicap at the gold tees must be 85 or more.   At 67 years old and an 11 handicap from the gold tees, it would be another seven years or a ton of poor rounds for me to get to the golds.   

Hitting driver, fairway wood and an iron even on short par fours finally got to me.  The game started to become more of a chore than fun.  Unless my approach and putting was dead on, there was no way I was going to score.  So, on Thursday, I declared to my playing partners that I was going to break the 85 rule and move up to the gold tees to see what it was like up there.  Is the air thinner?  Is the course noticeably shorter?  Who knew?   There was no way I would know for sure without giving it a try.

After today's experience, I think I like the move forward and will be staying there until our snowbird men's league leader returns!  I did not have my best stuff today (not too much sleep as my wife's returning from Ireland today, etc.) so my actual scoring was not great.  However, after 18 holes, I felt significantly better hitting my second shots playing from the senior gold tees that the normal men's white tees.  On longer par fours, I felt I could get closer to the green on my second.  On shorter par fours, I would stand over the ball knowing I had a chance to get the ball to the green.  I actually hit an iron off the tee on each of the four par threes!  The best part however was that I enjoyed the game much more.  I was still short on several of my par four approach shots, but they were much closer to the pin and should have taken advantage of my good short game (which left me today).  It cost me two strokes to move forward (13 to 11), but it was totally worth it!!

Will I continue to play from the gold tees?  Yes, I will.  Once I experienced the gold tees, they will have to drag me back to the white!  Knowing some of our players, they most likely would enjoy helping me go back!

You are exactly me on the opposite end of the continental USA!  I moved up to our White (Senior) tee (5418y) from the Blue tee (6068y) 17 months ago on my 75th birthday.  I can still play from the Blue tees, but as you say... it's not much fun.  From the Blue tees there are only two holes where I would approach the green using an iron other than a wedge... both shortish par 3's.  All other holes are FW approaches and a chip/pitch.  On good days I can still shoot my handicap, but I have to make every chip and putt.  

Our Men's League uses the 90 rule, which is age + your handicap from the Blue tees is greater than or equal to 90.  It's why I don't play with them; I've got 6 years to wait or I have to become a worse golfer... and I refuse to do that!

I agree that courses that suggest tees based on handicap don't work for me either.  A lower handicap and being a short hitter just doesn't work.  I would rather see courses recommend tees based on driver distance.  What's interesting is the USGA definitions of bogey and scratch golfers...

Bogey Golfer – A player with a Handicap Index of approximately 20.0 for men and approximately 24.0 for women. Under normal situations, the male bogey golfer can hit his tee shot 200 yards and reach a 370-yard hole in two shots. Likewise, the female bogey golfer can hit her tee shot 150 yards and reach a 280-yard hole in two shots.

Scratch Golfer – An amateur player who plays to 0.0 Handicap Index to the standard of the stroke play qualifiers competing in the United States Amateur Championship/Canadian Amateur. The male scratch golfer hits his tee shots an average of 250 yards and reaches a 470-yard hole in two shots. The female scratch golfer can hit her tee shots an average of 210 yards and reach a 400-yard hole in two shots.

So if I were a bogey golfer, that 370y (or anything over 150y) second shot is a FW for me and a likely chip and putt.  It's a b!tch being a lower handicap short hitter!!  Besides length, there are many factors on a course that affects a players ability to shoot a certain score.  One that continues to confound me is the architect designed our course to seemingly penalize short hitters.  Many of the longer holes have upslopes in the fairways where I would land a ball if I play from the Blue tees, effectively killing my short driving distance even further.  Another 20 yards and that upslope is easily carried, which I do playing from the White (Senior) tees.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

On 10/14/2023 at 2:34 PM, Golf2Much said:

Will I continue to play from the gold tees?  Yes, I will.  Once I experienced the gold tees, they will have to drag me back to the white!  Knowing some of our players, they most likely would enjoy helping me go back!

Lots of pro's and cons. I subscribe to the "if it ain't fun...then #@$% it program. I don't play much competitive golf, just not a lot around us really. Next year I'm required to move up one set of tees because of age. I'm looking forward to it. There are enough different angles between the white and gold( senior tees) that there will be a learning curve for sure. @Golf2Much glad you have found some of the fun again my man.

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

Good for you @Golf2Much for moving up.  Ever since I started the Ranger job it's taught me most golfers play the incorrect tees. The young guns are fooled by the yardage. Just because a course plays 6,100 yds from tips, doesn't necessarily mean the course is "easy" because it's "short".  I hear the discussions on the 1st tee by golfers.  Then watch as they struggle hole after hole to get off the tee.  Move up! So the course plays 5,700 yds from white tees (we have Black (tips), Blue, White, Red & Green Tees. Amazing the enjoyment most weekend warriors would have by simply moving up and playing the shorter tees. 
My hats off to you @Golf2Much for sticking to your guns & moving forward! 

Titleist T200 Irons - 5i thru Gap Wedge - Stiff AMT Black

Callaway PARADYM X 9.0 with Hazrdous X Black 6.0 Stiff Shaft

Fairway Woods:  Callaway Maverick 3W & RazrX Black 5W - Stiff Flex

Rescue:  Apex 4 (22 degree )- Recoil 75H stiff flex 

Wedges: Titleist SM8 - 54 (D Grind) wedge flex; SM8 58(M grind) wedge flex

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X5.5

Ball: Titleist ProV1

Handicap: 0

Anyone watch Mr. Short Game on You Tube? He has a few episodes where he plays from the forward tees and the goal is to get to 60. It's entertaining but he has yet to do it. I watched one last night and all he did was get to even par. Seems like Mr. Short Game needed to work on his short game that day. It was just off this round and the driver wasn't helping. But I enjoy his stuff.

Having seen a few episodes and last night while watching with my wife she thought I should give it a try. I decided she was right. Always listen to SWMBO. I want to give it a whirl. What can I do from the forward tees? I have no expectations to get near 60 but what can I do? Anyone else want to join in?    This could be fun.   

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:vice: Irons, Vice VGI01 Mitsubishi Wiz 60-gram regular flex (6 - PW)

:vice: VGW01, 50 Degree. Mitsubishi Wiz 60-gram regular flex, 

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

Putter, Sacks Parente Drac Center Shafted 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

7 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Anyone watch Mr. Short Game on You Tube? He has a few episodes where he plays from the forward tees and the goal is to get to 60. It's entertaining but he has yet to do it. I watched one last night and all he did was get to even par. Seems like Mr. Short Game needed to work on his short game that day. It was just off this round and the driver wasn't helping. But I enjoy his stuff.

Having seen a few episodes and last night while watching with my wife she thought I should give it a try. I decided she was right. Always listen to SWMBO. I want to give it a whirl. What can I do from the forward tees? I have no expectations to get near 60 but what can I do? Anyone else want to join in?    This could be fun.   

I'm not sure they have tee boxes far enough up for me to approach 60!   We do have a "super senior" green tees in the middle of the fairways that are rated at 61.4/107 for a par 70.  I'm currently a 12.5 index (my game has not been good over the last month or so) and it would make me a 3 from there.  It might be fun given what I've learned from moving to the senior tees, but I'd have to do it when no one is watching!

16 minutes ago, Golf2Much said:

I'm not sure they have tee boxes far enough up for me to approach 60!   We do have a "super senior" green tees in the middle of the fairways that are rated at 61.4/107 for a par 70.  I'm currently a 12.5 index (my game has not been good over the last month or so) and it would make me a 3 from there.  It might be fun given what I've learned from moving to the senior tees, but I'd have to do it when no one is watching!

You just tell everyone you lost a bet but refused to wear the skirt! 🤣

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:vice: Irons, Vice VGI01 Mitsubishi Wiz 60-gram regular flex (6 - PW)

:vice: VGW01, 50 Degree. Mitsubishi Wiz 60-gram regular flex, 

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

Putter, Sacks Parente Drac Center Shafted 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

1 minute ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

You just tell everyone you lost a bet but refused to wear the skirt! 🤣

GENIUS! 

On 10/16/2023 at 1:49 PM, Kenny B said:

I would rather see courses recommend tees based on driver distance.  

Totally agree!!

One problem with signs just using handicap-based is most recreational golfers do not carry/maintain a handicap .. so they wouldn't really know what their number is...

And the problems with using driver distance include, of course, guys being guys will still over-estimate their carry distance and, of course, there will always be guys being guys who insist "I paid to see the whole course."

So another suggestion that I've seen elsewhere in this forum, and that makes good sense to me, is to look at the Par 3s -- which distances you're comfortable with (aka capable of) reaching the greens .. then use that set of tees.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max (
Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue 45/A)
3H...Cobra King Tec (MMT 70/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha '19 (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
SW, LW...Mizuno ES21 54-08, 60-06 (KBS Hi Rev 2.0)
Putter...
MLA Tour XDream or EvnRoll ER5
...all in a Bag Boy hybrid bag on an MGI Zip Navigator.
..ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour. Or "found" Pro V1.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)
Other tests: MLA putter; Cleveland Hi Bore driver; Ben Hogan hybrids.

followthrough.jpg

2 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

Totally agree!!

One problem with signs just using handicap-based is most recreational golfers do not carry/maintain a handicap .. so they wouldn't really know what their number is...

And the problems with using driver distance include, of course, guys being guys will still over-estimate their carry distance and, of course, there will always be guys being guys who insist "I paid to see the whole course."

So another suggestion that I've seen elsewhere in this forum, and that makes good sense to me, is to look at the Par 3s -- which distances you're comfortable with (aka capable of) reaching the greens .. then use that set of tees.

One of these days I will likely be in the same situation that my wife is in now... she can only reach 8 greens in regulation playing from the Forward tees and that includes all (5) of the par 3's.  The other 3 holes are short par 4's.  And still she is a 17 hcp!!!  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Then there's this beauty of an idea from the minds of the PGA of America implemented at the home course of the Western NY PGA Headquarters.  Whodathunk of choosing the tee box that fits how far you can hit your driver?

PXL_20230814_131805204.jpg.60061a2bb0a552c77873b3bf608f60b6.jpg

I play forward tees because on this chart I need to hit from 5.  You can play what you want but I'm not impressed if you can't land it in the fairway. ⛳

Derek 🖌️ Verified Hack, ~21 handicap 🙂  Golf for exercise and peace of mind. ⛳ 
MGSlogoTinyNB.png.fa77eb3941d9cd5773ab070e0e4ccaa3.png WITB ( That's Linked ⚡ as is everything underlined )
|> Big Dogs: Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Max D (10.5)Tommy Armour TA1 3h :1332069271_TommyArmour: (19)Ginty Trouble Club 1582792763_GintyLogo(4)35h.jpg.fc3c835085ee4b6630b4ac7543b068c3.jpg (29)
|> Blades: First StrikeTM DeliveranceTM 4(23) 5(26) 6(29) 7(33) 8(37) 9(41) P(45)  
|> Chipper: Orlimar Escape (37)  Orlimar_Primary_Logo_Salmon_320x.png.74cc40a4a89b9e98905e4cba5c6d8337.png
|> Wedges: Worx 429668682_worx30.png.ecb184a97c8fb80112252b57c05f40c2.png (55)  Lovett 1857218720_LovetSandWedge2(2)30v.jpg.e22c477791c7dd1d962d07e9624df8cf.jpg (59) 
|> Flatstick: L.A.B. Golf DF2.1  ⛳ 2104071333_DrizzleStickLogo25.jpg.4a85e684857a33281ff6a12753532913.jpg  1935535164_ZeroFrictionLogo25.jpg.4af6ce349cb7b5117d2a8bb409c4b51f.jpg :OnCore: :footjoy-small:
⛳  :1590477705_SunMountain:C130 Supercharged 🌲  :Clicgear:3.5+  🌳  1197970276_COBALTicon15tall.jpg.92ebd5a63e6ab7d194096885e37eeb52.jpgQ6 Slope   🏌️‍♂️ SwingU2023logowhite30.jpg.238c607458394f36c7b0cd29738166fc.jpgPremium  
💻 1529843961_EPLogosm.jpg.3a2a74e3a5b6c64d4cdd1489a5d253b0.jpgMGS Logo  🌐 646255544_dghLogo30.jpg.9383a65e038b6a10ea92d0ada58bbc58.jpgBall mark   ⛳   IGBRC  International Golf Ball Rescue Commission / Founder
295785881_PGAHOPE_H_4Ch30.png.6317ecb613080e94b9fe996cd81462c1.png Graduate/Mentor    1698190715_StickHackLogo2021(3)20pixelstall.png.f28e1067b8bbf26fbd9d4c6c277f1a5d.png "The World's Greatest Golf Club Without The Course" Member #334 
Tester⛳logo_full_331d238c-3cab-4f84-ac72-d09e86f448c5_300x-12.png.8c8aee17ee565b3b96970802313957f9.png ⛳:Inesis: ⛳1382751340_L.A.B.Golflogo30.jpg.c054d635e47d481685d732a542e111af.jpg⛳:redrooster: ⛳LeanLockLogo.jpg.79bf29d6bf78b2208e2a58de63e92193.jpg ⛳ :callaway-small: ⛳GhostLogo.png.ccde624eb7cfea2672f0b34eb8fca132.png

It's all lies I tell you, everywhere the golf ball comes to rest! ⛳
If it wasn't for inconsistency, I would have no consistency in my game! 🏌️‍♂️

Which ever tee makes the game enjoyable should be played.  I think if every player knew their distance like @EasyPutter shows it could also help with pace of play.  I don't have a long drive but I've seen so many playing with friends from back tees and not even making their drive to the front tees.  Then the just keep swinging all the way to the green - like 8 swings!  If they played from forward tees they could remove a few strokes and probably have a more enjoyable round.

B

2 hours ago, EasyPutter said:

PXL_20230814_131805204.jpg.60061a2bb0a552c77873b3bf608f60b6.jpg

I like this concept better than the handicap system pictured earlier.  It makes more sense using driver distance (or the remaining second shot distance on a par 4) than your handicap.  When you're playing a nominal par 4, you at least want to be in a position where you second shot will be close or on the green.  

As an update on my journey forward, today my last week's lesson and other elements of my game kicked in today.  I shot an 81 (or 13 strokes better than on Tuesday) today.    By moving up about 250 yards (white men's tees to seniors tees) up, I actually parred six of the first seven holes we played.  On the par four 10th hole, from the white tees it would be driver, 5 wood and gap or sand wedge to the green.  Today, with a little wind advantage I hit driver and 7 wood to two feet from the pin.  It's the first time I've been on that hole in regulation.....let's say for a long time!  The best part was walking up to second shots to a par four and not feeling overwhelmed and having to rely on a great pitch shot to possibly get a par.  So far, the experiment is working out and the guys I play with couldn't be more supportive.   Well, at least until my team won the pot this morning!