MyGolfSpy Forum: How To Be A Tester Guide

GolfSpy_APH
Message added by GolfSpy_APH,

This is for informational purposes only. Please do not apply in this thread! 

2 hours ago, Cfhandyman said:

Excellent and sage advice.  I will give a current testers (L.A.B. DF3) view point.   There are so many great test opportunities.  The choices can be overwhelming and you're not sure what's coming next. There is a great deal of work involved in evaluating them properly.  Only select the one your are truly interested in and/or putting in the bag.  The analogy is, you are the kid in the candy store, but you can only select one. Take your time and choose wisely.  Ideally, give some thought of how you are going to test a product, prior to putting your name in.  Being patient is worth it, but its hard when you see all the great opportunities.  

100% agree.

I have come to realize through the forum interactions a better sense of what I need versus what I want in terms of golf equipment.  I suggest everyone search and read through some of the equipment reviews and posts to help determine where a testing opportunity might benefit both yourselves and the community simultaneously. For example, I tested out the AI-ONE putter late last year, and can say with certainty that I have no reason to want a different putter. It works perfectly for me in every regard. I still oooh and ahhh over other putters, but none that I feel will help me.

I know my equipment well enough to decide when a test might be an improvement for me, over just wanting another piece of bag furniture.

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

On 6/30/2024 at 12:05 AM, GolfSpy_APH said:

Been going through short lists this morning for a little bit and have to say something. Please, please please only sign up for opportunities you are excited for and want to test. 

Having gone through all 45 plus short lists this season we have seen some members sign up for freaking everything. I get it, there is excitement, but when I see that it just gives me vibes of I am here for free sh!*. Not the case for all, but to be blunt that is how it looks to us. 

For those who haven't tested before I get it, there is definitely more leeway there and you want the opportunity to test something, anything. For those that have tested this year, the chances of getting selected again are far lower. We really work hard to make sure it is one test a year outside of smaller items. Even still we ensure there is a good gap between tests and those who have tested are a lower priority, those who have not this year are the first priority then secondary tests. 

There are also tests we feel members are good for and hold off on selecting them because we want to wait (see Azstu and Toura). Anway, mini rant over. Sign up for those you really want, for those signing up for everything and have been around a long time. You should know the deal by now. 

Being fairly new to MGS and gotten lucky enough to be selected for a major test I was actually curious about this myself!

In NO WAY do I see this as a bad post but very informative honestly. There are quiet a few tests that I would love to be a part of still even with just finishing up 1 but have tried my best to hold back from signing up just to give others an opportunity. If I'm REALLY interested I will still click to sign up but that's only in certain cases.

Thank for clearing that up!

DRIVER  CALLAWAY.png.02d1ed01b3f95aaceb59b33edf1d6f2d.png Paradym Ai SMOKE MAX D w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 65-R 10.5*

WOOD TAYLORMADE.png.c09940dc65e88df056ed8bc6fac5d992.png STEALTH 2 Plus 15* w/ Mitsubishi Kali Red 65-R 42" 15*

HYBRID CALLAWAY.png.02d1ed01b3f95aaceb59b33edf1d6f2d.png Big Bertha 19 w/ UST Recoil DART 75-S 20*

IRONS MALTBY.jpg.db763764d25fcfd7c75f92dc47028a09.jpg TS3 Forged 4i-PW w/ True Temper Score LT 100-R

WEDGES PING.png Glide Forged Pro w/ ZZ115-W 48*/52*/58*

PUTTER Cleveland.jpg HB SOFT 8 w/ Center Shaft 3*

Check out my Tests...

I completely understand the rules and the desire to spread the testing wealth, but it's a tiny bit frustrating to see all these awesome tests come by and I'm still doing the Fit For Golf test for months and months and months. That should wrap up in about a month and I can go back to active drooling instead of drooling from afar.

Obsessed with chasing the dimpled orb.

More about me:  WITB type stuff

Fit For Golf tester 2024. Final review here: FFG review

• 2 weeks later...

Going along with the hot take thread - but first a disclaimer. The whole team decides testers and has input. Not just one person. So here is a personal take - We actively work to include new members on all tests. I think we have done a great job with this. 

That said see those people who have or had been first time testers be more active POST review. When we have members who have thousands of posts and are always actively engaged and contribute to our community. Seeing someone who has say 80 posts and they have had 2 testing opportunities... well that ratio doesn't add up to me. 

A great tester will have 40 or most posts in a single test thread, keeping the community engaged in their review, adding in little bits of information and feelings along the way. 

We see this with several of the top thread where testers will have over a 100 posts in that thread alone. And content that is worth reading, not just blank content. 

We will always choose new testers as we want everyone to have a fair shake, but for those first time testers. We want you to blow us away with your review skills and engagement. If you don't post afterwards and don't keep getting involved, well there are others that are and will frankly do a better job at the review. 

Again personal take - if I look at an applicaiton (second time tester) and they have under 100 posts that math doesn't quite add up to me. Same with 3 4 and 5 time testing. I think at a minimum someone should have 100 posts for each testing opp they have. 

And again this doesn't include first time testers as we select hundreds with 20 or so posts. 

Okay, rant over but welcome to my logic and thinking. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

7 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Going along with the hot take thread - but first a disclaimer. The whole team decides testers and has input. Not just one person. So here is a personal take - We actively work to include new members on all tests. I think we have done a great job with this. 

That said see those people who have or had been first time testers be more active POST review. When we have members who have thousands of posts and are always actively engaged and contribute to our community. Seeing someone who has say 80 posts and they have had 2 testing opportunities... well that ratio doesn't add up to me. 

A great tester will have 40 or most posts in a single test thread, keeping the community engaged in their review, adding in little bits of information and feelings along the way. 

We see this with several of the top thread where testers will have over a 100 posts in that thread alone. And content that is worth reading, not just blank content. 

We will always choose new testers as we want everyone to have a fair shake, but for those first time testers. We want you to blow us away with your review skills and engagement. If you don't post afterwards and don't keep getting involved, well there are others that are and will frankly do a better job at the review. 

Again personal take - if I look at an applicaiton (second time tester) and they have under 100 posts that math doesn't quite add up to me. Same with 3 4 and 5 time testing. I think at a minimum someone should have 100 posts for each testing opp they have. 

And again this doesn't include first time testers as we select hundreds with 20 or so posts. 

@GolfSpy_APH Thank you for sharing, well stated and wise words of wisdom  It is always very helpful to set expectations and minimum requirements.  That way reviewers can develop appropriate goals and a plan of action.  Also, it never hurts to set the bar high. After all, you also have a responsibility to the readership and sponsors.

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2 plus, LA golf DJ shaft, 55S

3 wood - TM Stealth plus, Mitsubishi Kai’li. Blue, 5 wood - TM Stealth plus,  Hzrdus red, 3 hybrid Mizuno CLK, Fuji pro

Irons (5-PW) - Mizuno 921 HMP, Accra IS 80

Wedges, TM MG4 SB 48*/09*, HB 54*/13*, TW 60*/11*, Accra ICWT 95 M4

Putter: L.A.B. DF3, TPT shaft, pistol grip

Bag: Vessel Cobra tour stand bag

Balls: Titleist ProV1x, Callaway Chrome soft X LS, Bridgestone Tour B XS or Srixon Z star Diamond

Tech: Arccos, Bushnell Pro XE rangefinder image.jpeg.6421bf4c3e32ba5a27f4fe57d0571222.jpeg

9 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

@GolfSpy_APH Well said, setting expectations and requirements help the overall experience here in the forums and with testing opportunities. Words are clear and to the point.

Thank you and the entire MGS staff for always being fair, to the point with exceptional knowledge and guidance.

Jeff "PUTSO" Pillar

buckpillar@gmail.com

11 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

If you want to guarantee your selection as a tester. I do mean this, guaranteed to get a test this season, read and follow what this thread has to say. It is truly that simple. 

This right here…

@GolfSpy_APH has said many times this would be a great year for test opportunities, with some big ones coming up…and I can honestly say he is spot on.

Recommend reading the guide thoroughly, I initially applied for tests without really knowing anything about MGS and not being active…but I got involved, did an unofficial review and it can’t be said enough, have a profile picture!

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Stealth 3 wood

Titleist U510 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

Thanks for posting the guide and a lot of really solid advice here in the replies too. I'm looking forward to testing products as I love writing the reviews, comparing equipment and getting to try new products. 

WITB:
Driver:   Callaway Epic Flash 

Wood:     F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:    Mizuno JPX Hot Metal Pro

Wedges:  Mizuno T2 4TH Tour Raw

Putter:   Ray Cook Blue Goose - milled

Balls:   Srixon Z-Star XV

On 7/22/2024 at 5:26 PM, TJ Hall said:

Understand that these are not giveaways, these take a bunch of work and effort.

^this^

👍

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
3H...Cobra King Tec (MMT 70/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha '19 (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
SW, LW...Mizuno ES21 54-08, 60-06 (KBS Hi Rev 2.0)
Putter...
MLA Tour XDream or EvnRoll ER5
...all in a Bag Boy hybrid bag on an MGI Zip Navigator.
..ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour. Or "found" Pro V1.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)
Other tests: MLA putter; Cleveland Hi Bore driver; Ben Hogan hybrids.

followthrough.jpg

Must view post. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

2 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Must view post. 

An absolute must view and read post as it provides critical and insightful updates as well as expectations. If you are a tester or want to be a tester, this is a mandatory read. It even provides wonderful examples of what an exceptional review looks like. Very well done and thank you Jamie and the moderators for updating. It is very much appreciated. 

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2 plus, LA golf DJ shaft, 55S

3 wood - TM Stealth plus, Mitsubishi Kai’li. Blue, 5 wood - TM Stealth plus,  Hzrdus red, 3 hybrid Mizuno CLK, Fuji pro

Irons (5-PW) - Mizuno 921 HMP, Accra IS 80

Wedges, TM MG4 SB 48*/09*, HB 54*/13*, TW 60*/11*, Accra ICWT 95 M4

Putter: L.A.B. DF3, TPT shaft, pistol grip

Bag: Vessel Cobra tour stand bag

Balls: Titleist ProV1x, Callaway Chrome soft X LS, Bridgestone Tour B XS or Srixon Z star Diamond

Tech: Arccos, Bushnell Pro XE rangefinder image.jpeg.6421bf4c3e32ba5a27f4fe57d0571222.jpeg

On 12/29/2023 at 3:35 AM, GolfSpy_APH said:

We do everything we can to be as forthcoming and transparent to make everyone who really wants to be a tester easier. 

It's not hard, but paying attention and actually reading versus just sign up and hope goes a long way.

Retired and loving it.  Golf has gotten better and moving out of the country.... to TEXAS.

7 hours ago, alice morgan said:

The "How To Be A Tester Guide" on MyGolfSpy Forum is an invaluable resource for those interested in becoming product testers. It provides clear instructions and expectations, helping members contribute meaningful feedback to the community. Whether you're a seasoned tester or new to the process, this guide is a must-read for anyone looking to make the most of their testing experience.

@alice morgan Well said Alice, well said! The guide is a blueprint to MGS testing.

Jeff "PUTSO" Pillar

buckpillar@gmail.com

I agree with the statements made here, but I only apply them to what I consider necessary. I’m gradually updating my golf bag, focusing only on items I truly need and feel confident about reviewing thoroughly.

PXG 0211

15* Taylormade Sim 2 max

18* hybrid (Taylormade)

22* hybrid (Adams)

25* hybrid (Tour edge)

irons - Callaway Big Bertha 2002 (It's a long story!)

Putter - Odyssey AI one 2 ball DB 35¨

With the recent announcement of what I would consider big tests, this thread is a must read!

This has truly been an amazing year for opportunities and the MGS team has done a great job (honestly it sure how they do it…even though I met @GolfSpy_APH in person, still not convinced he isn’t a bot!)

I can’t recommend enough to read the guide, show what you can do (unofficial review), maybe start small (ball/glove test) and get involved in the forum!

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Stealth 3 wood

Titleist U510 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter