Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Player keeps breaking Stealth 2 driver heads.

Swing Pastor

One of my college players keeps breaking the heads on his Taylormade Stealth 2 drivers. Literally 4 in the past 2 months. Taylormade is great in sending him replacements, but won't send him a Tour head. I heard that the Tour head was more durable and could handle fast club head speeds. This player is 125+mph. Today, he broke his new Stealth 3 wood. It's unreal, the last two drivers broke in lessons with me!

Any thoughts on either getting in touch with someone at Taylormade to get a reinforced head, or suggestions on other heads that can take those fast speeds?

FYI...he's now hitting a Cobra Aerojet and all is well with it, but likes the feel of the Stealth.

Callaway Epic Flash Subzero, CK Pro Tensei Orange 
Tour Edge Exotics Tour EX9, 15*
Mizuno CLK 19*
Mizuno JPX919 Tour, KBS C Taper, 4-PW
Fourteen Golf RM22 52*, 58*
Scotty Cameron Circa 62 No 1
Bridgestone B RXS

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure the Tour heads are the same as retail other than being digitally lofted and weighed.  I may be wrong.

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

24 minutes ago, Hook DeLoft said:

I'm pretty sure the Tour heads are the same as retail other than being digitally lofted and weighed.  I may be wrong.

Not necessarily true for all brands. Callaway has thicker faces for their pro staff

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Another thought...I think the manufacturers may measure the COR (or whatever measurement they're using these days) of the drivers used by staff players so they can give them ones that are not too close to the limit.  This would be insurance against a driver being declared non-conforming when measured by the Tour.  In theory, the faces of those clubs would last longer.  I have no idea if TM would be willing to measure a few drivers for your player and send him one that is not too close to the limit.  The other thing to consider is that the Stealth family have a reputation for higher rates of failure.

Just now, RickyBobby_PR said:

Not necessarily true for all brands. Callaway has thicker faces for their pro staff

Thanks.  I didn't know that.

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

3 minutes ago, Hook DeLoft said:

Another thought...I think the manufacturers may measure the COR (or whatever measurement they're using these days) of the drivers used by staff players so they can give them ones that are not too close to the limit.  This would be insurance against a driver being declared non-conforming when measured by the Tour.  In theory, the faces of those clubs would last longer.  I have no idea if TM would be willing to measure a few drivers for your player and send him one that is not too close to the limit

COR have been measured in a long time. They use CT. Yes all brands measure CT along with weight, loft, lie and face angle for their your heads. They do tend to go with the lower CT ratings for the reason you state. As the face wears it gets faster.

The op already stated TM won’t give the guy a tour head. If the OP wants a tour head he will need to buy it from a club builder who can get them like will peoples or off eBay from those who got their hands on one. They are pretty expensive for the head only.

It’s not just tm that won’t give a regular golfer a tour head and from what I’ve seen they won’t warranty one either. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1