New Release! Cleveland Halo XL Full Face Irons

GolfSpy_APH

image.png

https://mygolfspy.com/news-opinion/cleveland-halo-xl-full-face-irons-a-groovy-kind-of-love/

Okay we have seen some interesting launches so far, but I have to say this one takes the cake. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I am seriously contemplating fatback style irons for my fsr off distant gaming future. Have not seen any major drawbacks, other than weighty heads.

Read a few reviews here about some as well, realize they are not for everyone. 

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

Photo Drop!

Cleveland HALOXL full-face Irons-11.jpg

Cleveland HALOXL full-face Irons-10.jpg

Cleveland HALOXL full-face Irons-09.jpg

Cleveland HALOXL full-face Irons-08.jpg

Cleveland HALOXL full-face Irons-07.jpg

Cleveland HALOXL full-face Irons-06.jpg

Cleveland HALOXL full-face Irons-05.jpg

Cleveland HALOXL full-face Irons-04.jpg

Cleveland HALOXL full-face Irons-03.jpg

Cleveland HALOXL full-face Irons-02.jpg

Cleveland HALOXL full-face Irons-01.jpg

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I'm very curious to know why more irons don't come full groove like this. I know we see them in wedges now, but I'll be curious to know if it even comes to more irons.

In My Sun Mountain C-130 'merica Cart Bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth+ Rocket 3W, 13.5* turned down to 12.75*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 75g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 3w, 15*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 5w, 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939x 4H (21*), Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Black, 90g
Irons: :Takomo: 101's, 5-PW, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Wedges: :Sub70: 286 @ 50*, JBFG @ 54* & 60*, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Putter: :Sub70: 002 Mid-Mallet @ 35", Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, Desert Camo
Ball: :maxfli: Tour & Testing :OnCore: Vero X1
Technology: :ShotScope: H4 w/ Tags, Pro L2 Rangefinder

These are on of those style clubs I've never tried. And to be honest, they either will work for me, or won't.  I've seen a few blended sets with full back higher irons,  4-7, and would love to try these out.

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

I've often joked that I need a full bag of hybrids since I hit my FW Woods and Hybrids so much better than anything in my bag.

I know SGI irons are generally made for those with slow swing speeds and those with issues getting the ball airborne. I might have to try them from pure curiosity knowing my iron swing just isn't as good as my wood/hybrid swing.

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth+ Rocket 3W, 13.5* turned down to 12.75*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 75g

2 hours ago, Shrek74 said:

I've often joked that I need a full bag of hybrids since I hit my FW Woods and Hybrids so much better than anything in my bag.

I know SGI irons are generally made for those with slow swing speeds and those with issues getting the ball airborne. I might have to try them from pure curiosity knowing my iron swing just isn't as good as my wood/hybrid swing.

I feel this in my soul. Anything higher than the 8i, and I lose myself. Swapped the 7i for a shorter 7w and enjoying swinging it more

11 minutes ago, Rob Person said:

I feel this in my soul. Anything higher than the 8i, and I lose myself. Swapped the 7i for a shorter 7w and enjoying swinging it more

I've carried a 5 iron for years and barely use it and when I do it's a 50/50 "chance" of actually hitting it right. This next round of fittings in May I'm going to get rid of it with my next set and just plan the hybrids/FW to fill in the gaps. Or whatever the fitter recommends the bag makeup to be.

These aren't hybrids throughout the set. They're hybrids in the low irons (SGI), more like general game improvement in the mid, and kind of normal in the high - which could be great if that's what you want.  I tried my dad out in some of these (the Halo XL's) because he started struggling hitting irons so much.  He liked the low irons (which are more like hybrids), but the mid and high irons didn't help him at all.  I've got him fixed up now with woods all the way to 9-wood, hybrids as high as I could find them - up through a 6-hybrid in ping g-425, and from there I found a company called Thomas, (https://www.thomasgolf.com/Hybrids-Right/Mens-AT705) that has hybrid-type clubs all the way up to the mid 50's in loft.  I got him a couple of those that took him all the way up to 42-degrees, which is all he needs.  He's become deadly with the Thomases - and they spin a LOT, surprisingly.  He also has his old 7-iron, pitching-wedge, and sand-wedge for shots around the green.  This setup has him playing the best golf he's played in a loooong time.  Actually shot half his age on 9-holes twice recently (He's 76).   

Edited by vamosjackets

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus, :Fuji: Ventus TR Black Velocore 6X.
3W: :taylormade-small: Sim Max, :accra: FX 2.0 200 M3.
3I-PW: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Pro, :Fuji: Axiom Velocore 105 X.
Wedges: 47*, 51*, 55*, 59*: Edison Forged Wedges, Mitsubishi MMT 125g TX.
Putter: :L.A.B.:  DF 2.1
Current Ball:  2022 Chromesoft X as recommended for me by :ping-small: Ballnamic system (highly recommended).
Previous Balls:  Z-Star Divide, Pro V1, Maxfli Tour, TM TP5 Pix, Pro V1x, Vice Pro Soft, Cut Blue ... (See Why!)
Accessories: Shoes: Asics Gel-Kayano Ace (Greatest golf shoes on the planet). Watch: Garmin Approach S60. Glove: Kirkland Signature.  Bag: MNML. 
Cart: Foresight Sports ForeCaddy Smart Cart (Unofficial Review).
Previous MGS Tester for: Kid Caddie

I hit these at a Srixon/Cleveland demo event last week in Orlando for the grand opening of the Brian Davis Golf Academy.  I have never hit a 7iron better than I did with that club.  The combo of ball flight, distance, and confidence were unparalleled by anything I've hit to date.  I am going on Feb 3 to another Srixon/Cleveland event here in Orlando to investigate further.  I'll report back how that goes...

• Driver - Cobra LTDx Max
  • 3W - Callaway Paradym
  • 3h/4h - Callaway BB19
  • 5h - TM Stealth
  • 6i-P - Wilson D9 CB
  • 52* - Cobra SB Black
  • 56* - Callaway JAWS MD5
  • 60* - Mizuno T22 C-Grind
  • Putter - Cleveland HB 11 Soft Mallet 34"

On 1/18/2024 at 10:34 AM, Shrek74 said:

I'm very curious to know why more irons don't come full groove like this. I know we see them in wedges now, but I'll be curious to know if it even comes to more irons.

I wondered that several years ago when I got my Callaway PM Grind 54 and 60 wedges, which are full-face.  At the time I was also looking for a gap wedge that was full-face.  I can't tell you how many times I hit my wedges off the toe when I play on steep slopes with ball below my feet (lots of opportunities at my course), and the grooves have given me decent results.

There are so many things I like about SGI irons (my Bridgestone set), but I absolutely love the feel of my forged MacGregors.  I will certainly look at these next month when I get to Palm Springs.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• 1 month later...

I was fit for the Halo's  with F2 Helium nanocore shafts & since we have had a few days of amazing weather in WI have hit them outside & on the course.  High & straight are the operative words. So easy to hit. Thought they might be hooky but not a one.  Stealth HD has 2X's the offset & can be hook machines for me. Around the 7 iron it really looks like a normal club albeit big toppling & face.  I went up to GW & cool thing is you can blend Cleveland wedges into this set (full face ) which I did.  I love the counterbalance aspect of Cleveland clubs also.  

But... I must be a club snob as it just is tough for me to look down on this lower clubs. Being a sweeper doesn't matter w/ these but they launch real high as I am already a high ball hitter. Wind could be hurting these Halo's. Thus I also have a set of....

Tacomo 101's  (opposite spectrum!) and amazed at how easy these are to hit.  Even the 4 iron which I have no need for goes high ( not as high as Halo's) & straight. I have steel KBS Tour lite in R so struggling with steel feel vs a few years in Graphite but these work. I may try graphite on the Tacomo's & I may have a real weapon.

I am left handed a weak 10 handicap, losing swing speed & distance by the day  but each style here offers good dispersion, accuracy & decent - distance 7I at 150yds.  Still experimenting....

9 hours ago, Dules said:

I was fit for the Halo's  with F2 Helium nanocore shafts & since we have had a few days of amazing weather in WI have hit them outside & on the course.  High & straight are the operative words. So easy to hit. Thought they might be hooky but not a one.  Stealth HD has 2X's the offset & can be hook machines for me. Around the 7 iron it really looks like a normal club albeit big toppling & face.  I went up to GW & cool thing is you can blend Cleveland wedges into this set (full face ) which I did.  I love the counterbalance aspect of Cleveland clubs also.  

But... I must be a club snob as it just is tough for me to look down on this lower clubs. Being a sweeper doesn't matter w/ these but they launch real high as I am already a high ball hitter. Wind could be hurting these Halo's. Thus I also have a set of....

Tacomo 101's  (opposite spectrum!) and amazed at how easy these are to hit.  Even the 4 iron which I have no need for goes high ( not as high as Halo's) & straight. I have steel KBS Tour lite in R so struggling with steel feel vs a few years in Graphite but these work. I may try graphite on the Tacomo's & I may have a real weapon.

I am left handed a weak 10 handicap, losing swing speed & distance by the day  but each style here offers good dispersion, accuracy & decent - distance 7I at 150yds.  Still experimenting....

I've collected, for lack of a better term, a set of these, 8,9,P, G, SW in senior (F2) flex graphite shafts (last year's model, not the full face grooves of this year) as I've got the same issues with age and swing speed.  IF the rain holds off tomorrow morning I might actually have a chance to get them on the course.  I'm one who doesn't care a bit what anyone might think/say about what's in my bag, if it works it stays, if it doesn't it goes into the hall of fails.  Most of what I've read/watched suggests they're pretty easy to hit, get good elevation and their biggest drawback is the "stigma" of appearance.

Seems in the UK there's a company which I believe is called Eleven that offers a full set of hybrid irons which look as or more in this vein than the Cleveland Halos.

Edited by Bobbers
clarity

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Ping G430 SFT 3 wood and Ping G430 HL 7 wood SR flex

Ping G430 4,5,6,7 hybrids  SR flex

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 8,9,P,G, SW irons   A Flex

Cleveland Smart Sole S wedge  A Flex

Cobra Nova putter