Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Newton Driver Golf Shaft Review (2024)

GolfSpy_APH

11 hours ago, Erin B said:

I would suspect both of you would be in the 3 dot range. Newton is sending me the 4 dot with a midsize grip to try again, but in the sim I really had to slow my swing down to 90mph to make it go straight. I didn’t get to try it on the course because of snow. I sent it back, but they want me to try it again now that the snow is gone. So I’ll end up having the 6, 5, and the 4 dot shafts at one time here. I did hit the 5 good, 6 not great, but good on the course on Friday. I’ll update as I go. If you ask them, they may send you a couple of shafts. Their customer service is great! Happy Birdie Hunting!

Erin, thanks for the response and input.  Had a Email "conversation" with Angelo and also called and spoke with their sales department.  Angelo was leaning towards the 2 dot based on my swing speed (87 on an indoor monitor recently and I'm not getting younger).  However when I took some real world numbers for driving distance today (220 - 250, 249 and 252 were down wind:-), most were 220 - 230) and brought up not getting good results with Senior Flex (wider dispersions and "whipy" feeling), we decided 3 dot might be a better fit.  Anyway on order and looking forward to putting it in play - will take any extra distance as long as fairway finding is tops).  

4 minutes ago, Ken C said:

Erin, thanks for the response and input.  Had a Email "conversation" with Angelo and also called and spoke with their sales department.  Angelo was leaning towards the 2 dot based on my swing speed (87 on an indoor monitor recently and I'm not getting younger).  However when I took some real world numbers for driving distance today (220 - 250, 249 and 252 were down wind:-), most were 220 - 230) and brought up not getting good results with Senior Flex (wider dispersions and "whipy" feeling), we decided 3 dot might be a better fit.  Anyway on order and looking forward to putting it in play - will take any extra distance as long as fairway finding is tops).  

Keep us updated once you get it and start using it. 

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

3 minutes ago, Ken C said:

Good to hear. The 4 dot comes back to me on Thursday. I have a feeling I’ll swing it similar to the sim but they and I want to know for sure. And yes it m not getting any younger either. I have a VGA tournament on Friday so I’ll have the shafts there at the range, along with my Steadfast Jupiter 1, just in case.

I could play golf every day and learn something new each time.

Callaway Paradym TD 9* Driver w/5 Dot Newton tipped 45” shaft

TaylorMade 11.5* Mini Driver w/5 Dot Newton tipped 44” shaft

Ping 425 Max 3 wood w/Stiff Steadfast Jupiter 1 shaft

PXG 0317 17* hybrid

New Level 4-PW 902PD Irons w/6.5 ProjectX IO shafts

PXG 311 Gen 3 52 & 56 Wedges w/ Xstiff KBS TourLite shafts

Ping Anser Putter

OnCore VeroX 1/2

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63746-motocaddy-m-series-carts-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1042686

Just ordered a 3 dot so no experience with the shaft yet but I wanted to comment on the outstanding response I received from Newton Customer Service and Angelo.

Emailed Angelo late Friday and did not expect a response until today - he responded to all my questions later on Friday.  Followed up trying to call customer service with some additional questions today.  System forwarded me to voicemail for call back, rather than leave a message I figured I'd just call sales to see if they were available.  Before I could even call back to sales - Newton customer service saw my call and called me back, answering all my questions - that is being proactive and customer oriented business.  Bravo Zulu (my Navy/Marine Corps brethren with understand that). 

4 minutes ago, Ken C said:

Just ordered a 3 dot so no experience with the shaft yet but I wanted to comment on the outstanding response I received from Newton Customer Service and Angelo.

Emailed Angelo late Friday and did not expect a response until today - he responded to all my questions later on Friday.  Followed up trying to call customer service with some additional questions today.  System forwarded me to voicemail for call back, rather than leave a message I figured I'd just call sales to see if they were available.  Before I could even call back to sales - Newton customer service saw my call and called me back, answering all my questions - that is being proactive and customer oriented business.  Bravo Zulu (my Navy/Marine Corps brethren with understand that). 

Yep, they do a job well done! Excellent customer service!

PXG 0317 17* hybrid

Ping Anser Putter

OnCore VeroX 1/2

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63746-motocaddy-m-series-carts-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1042686

On course with the Newton 4dot shaft in my PXG black ops 9* driver on a very windy day yesterday.  Turned the club down to 8.5* and teed the ball down lower. Results were outstanding. Slight low draw on most shots with distance ranging from 260-290. Dispersion was improved vs. the Tensei AV Raw orange 55 shaft.  My concern for shots heading left never happened. Maybe being on the course smoothed me out, I don’t know. Ball flight was lower than usual but piercing which was helpful. Very pleased after one round on the course.  My putting…. That’s another subject 🤬

Edited by GAS JR

PXG Black Ops Tour1 9* Driver/Newton 4 dot 

PXG Black Ops 5 metal/Tensei AV Raw Orange 55 stiff

NewLevel NLU 21* Utility 3 iron/Hazardous Smoke black 80 stiff

NewLevel 623 MB 4i-PW/KBS Tour Lite stiff

NewLevel SPN 50-56-60 wedges/KBS wedge shafts

EVNROLL SR5 black mallet putter 35”

Snell MTB black golf balls 

3 minutes ago, GAS JR said:

On course with the Newton 4dot shaft in my PXG black ops 9* driver on a very windy day yesterday.  Turned the club down to 8.5* and teed the ball down lower. Results were outstanding. Slight low draw on most shots with distance ranging from 260-290. Dispersion was improved vs. the Tensei AV Raw orange 55 shaft.  My concern for shots heading left never happened. Maybe being on the course smoothed me out, I don’t know. Ball flight was lower than usual but piercing which was helpful. Very pleased after one round on the course.  My putting…. That’s another subject 🤬

Turned down to 8.5* probably produced the lower ball flight as well.  I have had to change the loft on the driver to find the best setting myself.  

The 5 dot is on the delivery truck and should arrive shortly and I plan on getting out to the course today as well.

Got my first round in with the 5 dot.  I want a couple more rounds with it as I was a little sluggish with it today and hitting high toe. I think it will be where I land in the end though. 

I don't know if anyone else has experienced this with their Newton but I feel like the more I swing it, the more it seems to "release" and have more pop at impact. First few drives felt stiffer and the more I have played with both the 4 and 5 dot I like it more and more. 

9 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

Got my first round in with the 5 dot.  I want a couple more rounds with it as I was a little sluggish with it today and hitting high toe. I think it will be where I land in the end though. 

I don't know if anyone else has experienced this with their Newton but I feel like the more I swing it, the more it seems to "release" and have more pop at impact. First few drives felt stiffer and the more I have played with both the 4 and 5 dot I like it more and more. 

Thanks for the great info on this shaft!

Play like a champion today!

13 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

Snow here. No golf. It’s the end of the world!

Stupid nuclear winter here.

Edited by Erin B
Content

PXG 0317 17* hybrid

Ping Anser Putter

OnCore VeroX 1/2

2 minutes ago, Erin B said:

Snow here. No golf. It’s the end of the world!

Stupid nuclear winter here.

There isn't an option for a sad and laughing emoji. 

6 minutes ago, Javs said:

Thanks for the great info on this shaft!

It really does have a completely different feel than any other shaft I have hit. 

You feel load but it's consistent and pops at impact. 

10 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

It really does have a completely different feel than any other shaft I have hit. 

Intrigued by this shaft. Have you had a chance to gather any data from the Mevo+, in terms of spin and launch?

One of the ways I combat excessive spin, is using a heavy, x-stiff low spin, low launch shaft profile, but the marketing for these shafts doesn’t indicate where they land on that spectrum. 

WITB:

D: :taylormade-small: QI-10 core 9* Ventus Blue TR Velocore 6x

3w: :taylormade-small: Brnr mini driver 13.5 S

3h: :ping-small: G430 19° Tour 2/Stiff

7W: :callaway-small: 21° Rogue ST Max LinQ 7X

5i-6i:  :srixon-small: ZX5 MKII Project X 6.0

7i-PW: :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII Project X 6.0

50°, 54° & 58°:   :ping-small: Glide Forged Pro

P:   :odyssey-small: White Hot Versa DW

Ball:  :bridgestone-small: Tour BX mindset

Bag:  Ghost MGS Anyday 14 way

"And so, we beat on, boats against the current, borne ceaselessly into the past." - Fitzgerald

” The woods are lovely, dark and deep,   

But I have promises to keep,   

And miles to go before I sleep,   

And miles to go before I sleep. - Frost

"That you are here—that life exists and identity,

That the powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse." - Whitman

2 minutes ago, GolfSpy_BEN said:

Intrigued by this shaft. Have you had a chance to gather any data from the Mevo+, in terms of spin and launch?

One of the ways I combat excessive spin, is using a heavy, x-stiff low spin, low launch shaft profile, but the marketing for these shafts doesn’t indicate where they land on that spectrum. 

I am right there with you! That’s why I almost exclusively use the project x hrzdus smoke black, yellow and blue

3 minutes ago, GolfSpy_BEN said:

I'll get the mevo+ out to the range tomorrow afternoon and do some numbers on just the driver with the 5 dot. I literally was at the course and caught the mail man dropping mail at the course and he had it in his van right before my round today. Ha

I'll look through the data as well. I may have 1 session with the 4 dot.  

5 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

I'll get the mevo+ out to the range tomorrow afternoon and do some numbers on just the driver with the 5 dot. I literally was at the course and caught the mail man dropping mail at the course and he had it in his van right before my round today. Ha

I'll look through the data as well. I may have 1 session with the 4 dot.  

Nice. I love it when things work out randomly like that. Also, much appreciated on any data you have or can gather. 

WITB:

"And so, we beat on, boats against the current, borne ceaselessly into the past." - Fitzgerald

8 minutes ago, Javs said:

I am right there with you! That’s why I almost exclusively use the project x hrzdus smoke black, yellow and blue

13 minutes ago, GolfSpy_BEN said:

I will take both the 4 and 5 dot out to the range tomorrow afternoon with the Mevo+ and do some testing.

I can say that I am hitting the ball straighter and higher than any shaft I have tried (and we know how many I have tried lately)  I

I am getting a penetrating ball flight that gradually climbs and have been able to draw the ball and my typical flight is a baby fade.  

8 minutes ago, Javs said:

I’ve tried but never gotten along with the HZRDUS lines. I’ve had some success with the Tensei white and black, Kai Li white, and Graphite Design XC lines. Absolutely loved the Ventus black for the brief time it was with me, before meeting a tragic demise.

But I’m a tinkerer and a bit of a shaft ho, so I am always interested in finding something new to tinker with.

WITB:

46 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

I feel like the BRNR mini driver stock shaft has that feel.

Edited by Erin B
Spelling

PXG 0317 17* hybrid

Ping Anser Putter

OnCore VeroX 1/2

This has been a fantastic informal review by MGS Troops. I’m excited to be a part of it! This company we are reviewing has also been fantastic. Do you realize I’ll have three of their shafts on Friday to review over the weekend? This is one of the many reasons I’m a MGS! Way to go MGS!

PXG 0317 17* hybrid

Ping Anser Putter

OnCore VeroX 1/2

19 minutes ago, GolfSpy_BEN said:

I’ve tried but never gotten along with the HZRDUS lines. I’ve had some success with the Tensei white and black, Kai Li white, and Graphite Design XC lines. Absolutely loved the Ventus black for the brief time it was with me, before meeting a tragic demise.

But I’m a tinkerer and a bit of a shaft ho, so I am always interested in finding something new to tinker with.

Funny the Hzrdus works for me, but I didn’t like the Tensei. I do like the Venus also. In the Callaway I have coming I have a Project X Denali Black 60 Graphite Shaft Flex : XStiff. If I don’t line it I have the Hzrdus smoke yellow to put in it. I thinker with shafts also. Along with drivers, putters and wedges. I could have a sale of shafts, drivers, putters and wedges…..ha ha. Anyways I did email Newton. I was surprised how fast they responded and asked detailed questions. Then they recommended a 5 dot. I just might do it. Just not sure which driver head I want to use it in. 

5 minutes ago, Javs said:

Funny the Hzrdus works for me, but I didn’t like the Tensei. I do like the Venus also. In the Callaway I have coming I have a Project X Denali Black 60 Graphite Shaft Flex : XStiff. If I don’t line it I have the Hzrdus smoke yellow to put in it. I thinker with shafts also. Along with drivers, putters and wedges. I could have a sale of shafts, drivers, putters and wedges…..ha ha. Anyways I did email Newton. I was surprised how fast they responded and asked detailed questions. Then they recommended a 5 dot. I just might do it. Just not sure which driver head I want to use it in. 

Based on what I know and some of your post I would say 5 dot and possibly even 6 dot. 

11 minutes ago, Javs said:

Tensei and I do not get along. Project X and Aldila are good shafts for me and I do have a Ventus that I like. Right now though I like the Steadfast shafts the most. I’m hoping I like the Newton shaft. I too like to tinker with shafts. I’m a Project X LZ iron shaft fanboy but have Project X IOs in my new irons. I like them so far, but would not hesitate to change to LZs if I didn’t like them. I really like my New Level clubs right now, IMG_4109.jpeg.edfb7dae37ed364a2419186379b5d30c.jpeg

so I doubt I’ll change them. I’m hoping, not forcing, I’ll like the Newton and it doesn’t matter what dot it is, as long as it’s an improvement. 
IMG_4081.jpeg.337ae61d007a420f77389ee18cb2a71b.jpeg

giphy.gif.61066ae5badf55ef4601bbe0909267a9.gif

PXG 0317 17* hybrid

Ping Anser Putter

OnCore VeroX 1/2

7 minutes ago, Erin B said:

Tensei and I do not get along. Project X and Aldila are good shafts for me and I do have a Ventus that I like. Right now though I like the Steadfast shafts the most. I’m hoping I like the Newton shaft. I too like to tinker with shafts. I’m a Project X LZ iron shaft fanboy but have Project X IOs in my new irons. I like them so far, but would not hesitate to change to LZs if I didn’t like them. I really like my New Level clubs right now, IMG_4109.jpeg.edfb7dae37ed364a2419186379b5d30c.jpeg

so I doubt I’ll change them. I’m hoping, not forcing, I’ll like the Newton and it doesn’t matter what dot it is, as long as it’s an improvement. 
IMG_4081.jpeg.337ae61d007a420f77389ee18cb2a71b.jpeg

giphy.gif.61066ae5badf55ef4601bbe0909267a9.gif

Very nice! I have TT Dynamic Gold Tour 120’s S400’s in all my irons.

27 minutes ago, Javs said:

Very nice! I have TT Dynamic Gold Tour 120’s S400’s in all my irons.

Not bad at all, I have tried KBS and did have TT Dynamic Gold in my old Titleist 990s. I just prefer the rifled shafts. KBS does have some rifled shafts, like the C taper, and I may try them in my travel set I’m building. I love trying new things!

Edited by Erin B
Typo

PXG 0317 17* hybrid

Ping Anser Putter

OnCore VeroX 1/2

55 minutes ago, Javs said:

When I demo’d the AI Smoke TD it had the Denali Black 60 X in it and I really liked that shaft. Enough so, that I may try it in the QI-10 LS after testing wraps up and I’m free to tinker. If you don’t jive with it, let me know and I may take it off your hands.

WITB:

16 minutes ago, Erin B said:

Not bad at all, I have tried KBS and did have TT Dynamic Gold in my old Titleist 990s. I just prefer the rifled shafts. KBS does have some rifled shafts, like the C taper, and I may try them in my travel set I’m building. I love trying new things!

Rifled shafts are nice. I was thinking of trying the KBS Tour shafts

@Javs and @GolfSpy_BEN

I drove down to the range and was going to do some testing but the wind was straight into the mats and cranking 17mph with stronger gust. It was going to create some high spin numbers no matter what so I will get back out this weekend and run them thru the Mevo+