Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Big toe fusion surgery

Ok, I had the surgery on Feb 28 2024. I got tired of arthritis pain. Big toe. Right foot, right handed.  Arch support inserts were inconsistent.   I will report in my progress. I'm 69, in good health. I can't put weight on the foot 1st 2 weeks.  Can't drive next 6 weeks. Can pitch and putt, can't drive.  TEE HEE HAH HAH.  Outpatient surgery.  About 1 hour long, general anesthesia.  

Drv: PXG 0211, Evnflo Riptide CB Senior, Callaway 454 TI (2004) 10 and an 11, regular flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram senior. TM Burner Superfast 3.0 M flex.

5W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent 40 regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC 3 18 degree, on Mamiya Recoil reg flex.

4 iron:  forged Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hollow body.

6 - PW: Ping I 500, on Recoil reg flex.

Gap: 52/9 GFF Mizuno S5, Lob: 60/6 GFF Mizuno T7.

Sand: Ancien Regime 56/12 Hogan Sure Out, Apex shaft. Heavy sole.

Chipper:  Ancien Regime Don Martin "Up n In" bronze or copper. 🙂

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, 2 piece, multi material shaft.🙃

I wish  you a full and speedy recovery.  I'm a few years older and my left hip has been sending nasty signals the past few months so I can empathize with the pain and movement issues.  All the best.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Ping G430 SFT 3 wood and Ping G430 HL 7 wood SR flex

Ping G430 4,5,6,7 hybrids  SR flex

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 8,9,P,G, SW irons   A Flex

Cleveland Smart Sole S wedge  A Flex

Cobra Nova putter

10 hours ago, Donn lost in San Diego said:

Ok, I had the surgery on Feb 28 2024. I got tired of arthritis pain. Big toe. Right foot, right handed.  Arch support inserts were inconsistent.   I will report in my progress. I'm 69, in good health. I can't put weight on the foot 1st 2 weeks.  Can't drive next 6 weeks. Can pitch and putt, can't drive.  TEE HEE HAH HAH.  Outpatient surgery.  About 1 hour long, general anesthesia.  

Hope the surgery solves your issues and your recovery is easy.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. 

A year ago or so, I had to wear a walking boot. We had a golf day trip scheduled for the afternoon I was prescribed it. Since I felt better with it, I decided to go anyway. Right foot and right handed golfer. I had no expectations other than to have a good time. The rounded sole on the boot really allowed me to shift the weight to mt heel in the back swing and toe during the through swing.  

I dominated everyone that day and played well with it for the entire time I wore it. Although after the first day it did cause soreness in the shin from the straps. Some of the guys would jokingly complain that I was using a training aid on the course. However, it only worked well on even lies. Uneven ground was simply dangerous. 

I too hope the surgery solves your issues. 

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

I had that surgery six years ago. My joint was gone and I had bone-on-bone, so I had the toe fused. I can't bend the big toe, but I don't notice that. And the pain is gone. It worked out great for me.

I had a titanium joint inserted in my left big toe, it wasn't' as bad as the right, though it bothers me every once in a while. If I were to do that over I'd have that toe fused.

Do you have kids? The toe thing is hereditary. My daughter has had surgery on her right foot a couple of years ago, and is currently in a boot on her left foot due to the same surgery, she blames dad of course.

Driver: TaylorMade Stealth 2

Fairway Woods: TaylorMade Stealth 2 5&7

Hybrids: PXG Gen 5 0311 22 Moon Wood 8

Irons: TaylorMade Stealth HD

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 56° & 60°

Putter: Cleveland Soft Milled 5

BatCaddy X8R

12 hours ago, Donn lost in San Diego said:

As someone with toe issues as well (left foot, right handed) I wish you a speedy recovery.  Hopefully it eases the pain and discomforts. But hey, you can pitch and putt in 2 weeks!

WITB

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Qi10 Max

Hybrid: 🐏 FX Max 5h

5i-9i: 🐏 FX Max 10

Wedges: :titleist-small: 48°, 52°, 56°

Putter:  :cleveland-small: HB Soft 14

Ball: :odin:

On 3/2/2024 at 7:42 AM, hohjoe said:

I had that surgery six years ago. My joint was gone and I had bone-on-bone, so I had the toe fused. I can't bend the big toe, but I don't notice that. And the pain is gone. It worked out great for me.

I had a titanium joint inserted in my left big toe, it wasn't' as bad as the right, though it bothers me every once in a while. If I were to do that over I'd have that toe fused.

Do you have kids? The toe thing is hereditary. My daughter has had surgery on her right foot a couple of years ago, and is currently in a boot on her left foot due to the same surgery, she blames dad of course.

You had fusion on 1 and a ti insert the other?  Hmm.  My doc didn't offer me a joint replacement. I was unaware there even is such.  But you say the fuse work better than the ti insert?

Drv: PXG 0211, Evnflo Riptide CB Senior, Callaway 454 TI (2004) 10 and an 11, regular flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram senior. TM Burner Superfast 3.0 M flex.

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, 2 piece, multi material shaft.🙃

So here I am Monday March 4. 5 days post surgery.   Been very strict follow doc orders, keep it elevated higher than my heart as much as possible 3 , 4, days.  Move around as little as possible.   Even on crutches, you are still moving the muscles so just stay put a lot.  Pain subsided rapidly, i didnt ice it, used oxycontin only 2 days. Watch golf on TV.  Watch a lot of people die in Yellowstone,  I never watched any of it before.  Makes Dallas look tame. 

Sorry for your troubles.  I feel for you. Three years ago I had my left foot fused. I couldn’t walk to the mailbox.  Anyway now I am recovering from a toe amputation on left foot.  So I can only count to 19.  I would ask you Dr. for orthotic inserts for your shoes it will make the world of difference.

Get well soon.

Driver Mavrik Subzero set to 9.5. 
Rougue 4 wood 16.5

Titleist 818 hybrid 21

Callaway Apex pro black dot 4 through P

Callaway Jaws 50/10,, MD 4 56/10, and Titlest SM 6 60/12

SC Futura 5.5

You had fusion on 1 and a ti insert the other?  Hmm.  My doc didn't offer me a joint replacement. I was unaware there even is such.  But you say the fuse work better than the ti insert?

Yep, a fusion on the right and an insert on the left. My doc didn't offer me a joint replacement on the right toe because the joint had been eroded beyond anything but a fusion.

Every once in awhile my left toe bothers me, but not often. I think the replacement joint was a huge success. But, having said that if I were to do it over I'd probably have the left toe fused also. I've had zero issues with the fusion.

Driver: TaylorMade Stealth 2

Fairway Woods: TaylorMade Stealth 2 5&7

Hybrids: PXG Gen 5 0311 22 Moon Wood 8

Irons: TaylorMade Stealth HD

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 56° & 60°

Putter: Cleveland Soft Milled 5

BatCaddy X8R

Friday night, March 8, now 9 days after surgery.  Keeping the foot elevated.  Learning to get around on crutches.  Nuff said.  No pain thankfully after 3 days, only fell once, the first time I tried going up a doorway 1 step up.  I see the doc next Monday and can start putting a little weight on it, if all goes per plan.  Watching the Arnold, and, first time ever, Season 1 and now Season 5 of Yellowstone.  It is nice to see Wil Zalalalalatoris in good health.  And watching the girls live from China in the dead of night here in Calif.  A couple of long hole-outs yesterday.  Huge greens with tsunami size waves.

On 3/2/2024 at 7:42 AM, hohjoe said:

No kids, but arthritis, and scoliosis, is a family affair.

Hi brothers and sisters.  The cast came off today, stitches out, and I have a big big hi impact plastic boot with 3 inch wide straps, and I can walk.  Inside, there is a metal plate across the top, sort of a figure 8 shape, 4 or 5 screws vertical holding it, and somehow a horizontal screw almost the full length of the plate.  I don't need a cane, walker, or crutch.  One more week and I can wash it.  And gradually put more weight on the front of the foot.  If I really wanted to I could already work on my putting.  but I can wait til the rest of the bandage wraps come off,  I am thrilled.

Now it is Thursday night, the cast came off Monday.   I am gradually putting more weight on the front of the foot.  I can walk pretty easily with the big boot, slowly, since I can't move ankle much.  Four weeks of this.  I can't drive, I hope to go work on my putting soon.  The biggest issue is boredom, since I am single, retired.  Bored with LIV v TOUR, Trump v Biden, Single malt v blend, Ford v Ferrari, Eat This Not That (A dreadful food blog).  I've watched all the free episodes of Yellowstone and won't pay CBS a nickel for anything.  And now that Scheffler has learned how to putt we might have a 5 or 6 time winner this year.   

• 3 weeks later...

Next update, March 30, 4 weeks 3 days after surgery.  I am very happy.  Boot scheduled to go away Monday April 8, 6 weeks after surgery.  I hope I can hit balls as soon as I leave the doctor's office.  Up til now, all I've done is post too many comments.  

On 3/5/2024 at 5:39 AM, Bob Jerabek said:

Sorry for your troubles.  I feel for you. Three years ago I had my left foot fused. I couldn’t walk to the mailbox.  Anyway now I am recovering from a toe amputation on left foot.  So I can only count to 19.  I would ask you Dr. for orthotic inserts for your shoes it will make the world of difference.

Get well soon.

For flat arches I have been on inserts 8 yrs.  I have 3.  I have Superfeet Green, with adjustments by the podiatrist using the cork pieces that come with it, and a triangle cutout near the  big toe joint; the ECCO leather covered hard plastic supports, size 42 for my sz 10 and 10.5 shoes; and custom fit inserts made 2 yrs ago, a fairly hard flexbl with sturdy thin layer foam.  Post surgery, I am using the ECCO in the AIrCast Boot I have to wear becasue the Aircast is totally flat on the bottom.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

SUCCESS!  The boot came off yesterday, April 8, the doctor said I can resume golf.  Six weeks after surgery.  It is still stiffer than normal, there is still mild pain with pressure on the front of the foot.  But I started taking normal swings.  I plan to hit 20 or 30 balls the first few days and work up to my normal range day of a medium bucket, and some time working on chipping and pitching.  If I can figure out how, I will try to post the x-rays that show the plate, the 1 longitudinal screw about 1.25 inches long, front to rear, and 3 small vertical screws through the plate in each of the 2 bones being fused.  And he took a small piece of bone from the heel, where the bone is a fast re-growing property, and put it in between the 2 toe bones, where the cartilage used to be.  I am amazed, six weeks!  

Edited by Donn lost in San Diego

I hope that your recovery goes well.  I know that it can be tiresome having to wear a boot for any length of time.

For those of us who end up with foot issues just as we hit the wonder years (i.e., retirement), good orthotics can be a godsend.  I've added these carbon fiber inserts to the mix with really good results.  They stiffen whatever shoe you're wearing and help reduce the stress on your foot joints.  I've used them over the past 10-15 years and they were well worth the investment -- about the price of a new wedge.  Perhaps they would make for a good product to test by MyGolfSpy members.

https://rtpfast.com/

return.to.play.jpg

Ping G425 LST Driver /  9º / Aerotech Ti-Fiber Tour 70 Shaft
Ping G425 MAX 3 Wood /  14½º / Aerotech Ti-Fiber Tour 70 Shaft
Ping G425 MAX 5 Wood /  17½º / Aerotech Ti-Fiber Tour 70 Shaft
Ping Karsten IIIa Irons, 3-SW / Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Shafts
Bobby Grace / The Fat Lady Swings Putter