Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

What is the most under appreciated brand in golf?

I believe Wilson golf clubs are under-rated and to some extent Cobra clubs.  For golf balls, I believe the Maxfli Tour is greatly under-rated.  Last year during testing, I was talking to a fellow golfer about the Maxfli Tour and his response was, "but it's a Maxfli".  

Ping G430 Max 10k 9° w/UST MP5 L-Flex

Ping G425 3 wood 14.5° w/Ventus Velocore Blue-6R tipped 1"

Cleveland Halo Launcher 5 wood 18° with Project X Cypher R

Callaway Rogue 19° hybrid regular

PXG Gen 3 0311XF 5 - G steel regular

Corey Paul wedges bent to 53° and 58°

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5 putter

On 3/12/2024 at 1:59 AM, GolfSpy_APH said:

Don't think or believe there is one right answer, but with so many brands in the market there are likely some doing amazing work that just don't get the recognition. L.A.B. could definitely be one of those, but their tour success has certainly vaulted them. 

Red Rooster is our unheralded glove brand that does do much but is very much an unknown outside of some forum and other spaces. 

what do you think?

I would be on the Cobra and Srixon side of being pretty undervalued. Wilson is another brand in the bigger named markets. On the DTC companies I’d say New Level and Sub70 are very underrated. Ball wise I used to think OnCore, but I’m not so sure now. Putters, Sacks Parente. Shafts, Steadfast Jupiter, and Newton. Steadfast did it to themselves when they first started but have seemed to correct their path. Still it’s hard to get back in the good graces of the golf world when you piss us off. Overall the quality of a lot of equipment has risen because of the competition. I’m a fan of the smaller companies as long as they are of good quality and back up their products.

Edited by Erin B
Data loss

I could play golf every day and learn something new each time.

Callaway Paradym TD 9* Driver w/5 Dot Newton tipped 45” shaft

TaylorMade 11.5* Mini Driver w/5 Dot Newton tipped 44” shaft

Ping 425 Max 3 wood w/Stiff Steadfast Jupiter 1 shaft

PXG 0317 17* hybrid

New Level 4-PW 902PD Irons w/6.5 ProjectX IO shafts

PXG 311 Gen 3 52 & 56 Wedges w/ Xstiff KBS TourLite shafts

Ping Anser Putter

OnCore VeroX 1/2

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63746-motocaddy-m-series-carts-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1042686

I definitely see Cobra and Srixon woods as getting less love than they deserve. Srixon irons are pure and rival any top name brand out there. I also think the Srixon ball series are underrated, or maybe just under appreciated. For the price, I can’t see any ball holding a flame to the Z Star 💎. Especially when you load up during the buy 2 get 1 free deals. 

Driver:  cobralogo.png.60692cdc05482efd83e68664e010b95f.png Aerojet LS, Ventus Blue Shaft - 6S
4 Wood:  callaway.png.e65d398fb0327017a369499fc6126064.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - 7S
Utility Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli Hi 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S
Irons:  mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.png JPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g
Wedges: cleveland.png.f21f4d2361520fdf1bbd9d515a2f11e6.png 52º, 56º, 60º
Putter:  odyssey.png.58c727e37eb7efda62bce4f7b8881bd9.png Ai-One 7 T CH, 34"
Preferred Ball: srixon.png.f177578dda27a20ef80a0a8b1ae96e3b.png Z-Star Diamond
Pushcart: bagboy.jpg.0dda53b5175958e1b5686f22b90af744.jpg Nitron
Rangefinder: bushnell.jpg.c51debd06066fa243dea7f14d69a8dba.jpg Tour V5 Shift

5 hours ago, bens197 said:

I’ll go with Tour Edge for this reason. A lot of casual golfers who are not tuned into gear would skip over Tour Edge for a bigger brand. 

Pound for pound it’s the best product for the money and the best value. 

A long time ago when I was in club sales, I’d love to toss in a Wilson Deep Red, Nicklaus air max and a Cleveland launcher to the R580 and 975J test just to see a reaction. 

Our shop sold more of the former than the top names combined that summer. 

Moral of the story…there’s a lot of great product hidden in plain sight.  

When I was looking at various manufacturers for the other discussion that led to the legal and business class on warranties I noticed that they have a lifetime warranty, standard.

That's from date of purchase, BTW 😉

• Driver - Ping G400 9°, Project-X Evenflow Black 6.0S 65 gr. 
  • FW - TM M3 3-wood 15°, Project-X HZRDUS Red 6.0 75 gr. mid-spin
  • Hybrid - TM M4 19°, Project-X Evenflow Black 6.0S 85 gr. HY 
  • Irons - TM P790, 3-PW, Oban CT-115, PXG 311 P Gen 6
  • Wedges - Mizuno T20 Ion blue 52/9 & 56/14, N.S. Pro Modus3 S-flex
  • Putter - Evnroll ER2 Garsen Max grip
  • Getting a grip - oversize Winn DryTacs and Bionic gloves
  • Ball - ProV1, AVX, Maxfli Tour, PXG
  • Bag(s)/cart - Vessel Player III Rovic RV1S and Alphard V2

Cobra seems to have the “little brother” image in the major OEM world, in my opinion. Case in point I had never even considered a Cobra club until the Cobra challenge. Now I can safely say they will ALWAYS get a run when I look to replace a club in the future. The Aerojet 3 and 7 woods are the best I’ve ever hit and will be in my bag for a very long time. 

Wilson is also a great answer after being an original dominant force, then fading out and being viewed mostly as cheap box set clubs, to now rising back in the club world. I love the looks of their irons. 

Driver: :titleist-small: TSi3 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

Fairways: :cobra-small: Aerojet Max 3W & 7W MCA Kai'Li White 60 Stiff

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :cobra-small: Snakebite Black 52/56/60 Hi-Rev 2.0 Black Stiff

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour X :titleist-small: ProV1x

#LeftyGang

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

Unofficial FootJoy Hyperflex BOA 2023 Review

Unofficial Flightscope Mevo Review

Agreed completely Jason - Cobra would be my vote for major OEMs.  

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge/Testing Bag (Link Here)

Driver: image.png.ca83f4e6716da9276cf90826f633daca.png Paradym with Ventus TR Blue 60 Stiff

Fairways:  image.png.c4f821ba6925e5e146c31600685bf103.png Aerojet Max 3W & 7W with Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 70 Stiff

Hybrid:  image.png.c21137d282a252fb544e47aceb520176.png King TEC 5H with KBS PGI 95 Stiff

Irons:  image.png.6621a18e06b1717c1f774c4a561fd7d8.png Forged TEC 5-GW with KBS Tour Lite Stiff

Wedges:  image.png.ca83f4e6716da9276cf90826f633daca.png Jaws Raw Plasma 54 & 58

Putter:  image.png.c8e6824d2c38fa85d20ca21913fbb2b1.pngPhantom X 5.5

Ball: 2023 Maxfli Tour

Other Reviews:

Callaway Paradym

Titleist White Box Testing (2023)

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Cobra, Cleveland, LAB.

What gets me is how, looking at history, things get so convoluted.

Dunlop goes to BTR, later sold to Sports Direct, later sold to Sumitomo (Srixon), etc., etc., etc.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Ping G430 SFT 3 wood and Ping G430 HL 7 wood SR flex

Ping G430 4,5,6,7 hybrids  SR flex

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 8,9,P,G, SW irons   A Flex

Cleveland Smart Sole S wedge  A Flex

Cobra Nova putter

Great topic. I used to get frustrated with things like the Golf Digest Hot List, because part of their rating included "Demand" -- it was only 5%, but it seemed to give the bigger brands a bump and made it harder for newer brands to hit Gold (of course demand for an unknown brand is low...). They cut that metric last year, which I think is great. 

I have to echo the Tour Edge comments, especially for FW -- or at least they were underrated a handful of years ago. I haven't tried their newer models, but some of the old Exotics Beta 3Ws were some of the best I've ever hit. They've made strides in some markets, but I still have this lingering thought from High School (20+ years ago now 🤯 ) of seeing Tour Edge irons in someone's bag and thinking they were inferior clubs (chances are they weren't, but the brand name just seemed to carry that perception, likely because it sounds generic). 

Other notables: Mizuno non-irons, especially woods and putters - rarely see someone with them, but they are great products. Evnroll (or really any Guerin Rife putter brand) -- they're better known these days too and have landed on top lists (like GD Hot List), but I think too many people gravitate toward brands like Scotty and Odyssey and don't even consider Evnroll. 

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus 8* (adjusted to 8.75*), Mitsubishi Diamana ZF 70 X Flex (New toy incoming!)

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Stealth2 Plus, 15* (adjusted to 14.25*) w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-IZ 7X

Irons:  :titleist-small: U505 1 Iron (16*), T200 "Utility Build" 3 and 4 irons, all with Graphite Design Tour AD-IZ 95 X Flex, :titleist-small: T100S 5-9 with Nippon Pro Modus 120 X Flex (2021 MGS Test). These things are monsters. 

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM9 46.10, 54.12, and 58.08, all with custom etchings & KBS Tour Masters-themed shafts, X-flex (CHA Post)

Putter: Total headcase and Putter Ho. Down to two main options in the rotation (one mallet, one blade), but have 4-5 by the basement putting green that might make it in the bag at some point this year... Mallet: :L.A.B.: Mezz XL 36" Orange; Blade: :L.A.B.: Link.1 w/Accra White shaft & :garsen: grip

11 hours ago, GolfSpy_KFT said:

Cobra seems to have the “little brother” image in the major OEM world, in my opinion. Case in point I had never even considered a Cobra club until the Cobra challenge. Now I can safely say they will ALWAYS get a run when I look to replace a club in the future. The Aerojet 3 and 7 woods are the best I’ve ever hit and will be in my bag for a very long time. 

Wilson is also a great answer after being an original dominant force, then fading out and being viewed mostly as cheap box set clubs, to now rising back in the club world. I love the looks of their irons. 

Could not agree more @GolfSpy_KFT on the Cobra perception. It almost feels like at times there is that "wink, wink" from people when you tell them your driver is a Cobra Aerojet. It's simply not one of the "big names" and seems to get a down the nose look from some people. I have to say, I just had a fitting about 3 weeks ago and was fortunate enough to test Ping, TaylorMade, Titleist, Cobra... and like one of our threads said, you have to go with what feels right as well. Well, during my fitting the Cobra clubs "felt", sounded and responded best to my style of golf at this time. 

I also have to agree with the Wilson: I have my fathers old sand wedge that I still use and have no complaints. 

Dare I say Vice balls? I've been using them for a year and enjoy them! Same thing though: people ask why I don't use a ProV1 or TPX5... for my bang for my buck, Vice does a very nice job! 

Driver: image.png.f2fe7619b0a04dd4a12ac39783f39b10.png Aerojet LS 10.5 image.png.3c329ee54f4af0d332191de3b277d11b.png Kai Li 60R                              3 wood: default_taylormade-small.jpg.79932727ec2389ce0aa081d30367fb26.jpg M2

Irons: default_taylormade-small.jpg.37fc98ff7c0a349b54abfa700e702ccb.jpg Speedblades 4i-PW                                                              Wedge: Cleveland.png.d2fe634fd9a3aaef5fed913a65c8e7dd.png CBX

Sand: Wilson.gif.7c4c0af3500daff148cdd38ec0dbe7ab.gif Wilson Pro Staff                                                                  Putter: default_taylormade-small.jpg.37fc98ff7c0a349b54abfa700e702ccb.jpg Spider

Ball: image.png.3706b1d653d1cf95b7231645d19bf8ad.png Pro shade                                                                                     Cart: image.png.c49446b33f13453112cc2c4ef189d63d.pngQuad XL

"The more I work and practice, the luckier I seem to get.” -Gary Player

“The proper score for a businessman golfer is 90. If he is better than that he is neglecting his business. If he’s worse, he’s neglecting his golf.” -St Andrews Rotary Club Member

1 hour ago, Steve F said:

Dare I say Vice balls? I've been using them for a year and enjoy them! Same thing though: people ask why I don't use a ProV1 or TPX5... for my bang for my buck, Vice does a very nice job! 

Almost mentioned Vice in the ball category -- in 2016, definitely underrated; today, probably still are, but they've at least gotten some recognition over the years (Hot List Silver and Gold, some MGS reports, etc.), and a lot of people are playing them. Underrated or not, they definitely outperform their price. 

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus 8* (adjusted to 8.75*), Mitsubishi Diamana ZF 70 X Flex (New toy incoming!)

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Stealth2 Plus, 15* (adjusted to 14.25*) w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-IZ 7X

Irons:  :titleist-small: U505 1 Iron (16*), T200 "Utility Build" 3 and 4 irons, all with Graphite Design Tour AD-IZ 95 X Flex, :titleist-small: T100S 5-9 with Nippon Pro Modus 120 X Flex (2021 MGS Test). These things are monsters. 

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM9 46.10, 54.12, and 58.08, all with custom etchings & KBS Tour Masters-themed shafts, X-flex (CHA Post)

Putter: Total headcase and Putter Ho. Down to two main options in the rotation (one mallet, one blade), but have 4-5 by the basement putting green that might make it in the bag at some point this year... Mallet: :L.A.B.: Mezz XL 36" Orange; Blade: :L.A.B.: Link.1 w/Accra White shaft & :garsen: grip

2 hours ago, Steve F said:

Could not agree more @GolfSpy_KFT on the Cobra perception. It almost feels like at times there is that "wink, wink" from people when you tell them your driver is a Cobra Aerojet. It's simply not one of the "big names" and seems to get a down the nose look from some people. I have to say, I just had a fitting about 3 weeks ago and was fortunate enough to test Ping, TaylorMade, Titleist, Cobra... and like one of our threads said, you have to go with what feels right as well. Well, during my fitting the Cobra clubs "felt", sounded and responded best to my style of golf at this time. 

I also have to agree with the Wilson: I have my fathers old sand wedge that I still use and have no complaints. 

Totally agree on Cobra. I've got a Radspeed 3 wood that outperformed the Qi10 at a recent fitting. It's getting a bit long in the tooth and I'm considering a Darkspeed 3 wood as a replacement. As to my irons, I still love my Speedzones - they're well over 5 yrs old (playing roughly 150 rds. a year) and look brand new. No need to be thinking about replacing those. 

Same for Vice, although I'm disappointed they're out of stock on the neon green version of Pros. Had to buy some Maxflis until they neon greens are back in stock. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

On 3/18/2024 at 5:51 PM, Preeway said:

I definitely see Cobra and Srixon woods as getting less love than they deserve.

I hit some Srixon irons during my last fitting and loved everything about them: feel, look, performance ... great stuff. I really wanted to like the driver/woods when I came back the next day, but just couldn't get along with them.

🪵 --> :callaway-small: Paradym Ai Smoke Max D/3w/7w | Tensei Blue 65
🧲 --> :srixon-small: MkII ZX4 | Recoil F3
🎯 --> :cleveland-small: CBX 4 ZipCore | Stock
⛳ --> :odyssey-small: Ai-ONE Seven S | Stroke Lab SL90
⚽ --> :srixon-small: Q Star [or whatever else comes along]

For grips I am going to throw out Lamkin and Star. I'm not a big Winn grip fan, but feel both Lamkin and Star make a truly fantastic product that often isn't appreciated enough.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

There are a number of brands that I think are underrated. Wilson is definitely one name that stands out across the board and that is a shame given their heritage and price point. You just need to look at their balls to see their quality.

I also agree that LAB continues to be underrated even though the tech is undeniable. I think this primarily stems from the looks side and hopefully the new DF3 will allow them to get better recognition. I use the LINK and it has improved my putting no end and could not be happier with it.

Driver:  Callaway Paradym X 10.5* HZRDUS Blue 6.0

5W: TM Stealth 2 HD Speeder NX Red Stiff

7W: PXG 0211 Tensei Blue 65 Stiff

Irons:  Takomo 101s 5-PW KBS Tour Lite Stiff

Wedges:  Cleveland CBX2 52/56/60 DG115 Wedge Flex

Putter: Lab Golf Link 1

Ball:   TP5

Tech: Flightscope Mevo+, Shotscope V3, DeWiz

On tour, it has to be Mizuno. They are the best irons made.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen6 TT Riptide CB 60 s

3 Wood: Ping G430 max Alta CB 65 s

Hybrids: Ping G430 19, 22, 26 Alta CB 70 s

Irons: Mizuno JPX923 forged 6-Gap TT DG 105 s

Wedges: Mizuno S23 54, 58 KBS HI-REV 2.0 115

Putter: Scotty Cameron SS Golo 6.5

Ball: Vice Pro Plus

Bag: Sun Mountain C-130S

Electronics: Bushnell Tour V6 shift, Golf Buddy aim 11  

My first thought was Srixon, being from Huntington Beach California I always thought it was cool being from the same place. 
but I would say Ping putters are under appreciated. Not a lot of tech but they do feel great and the black putters with white sight lines are very pleasing to look at.
most people gravitate to odyssey or Scotty’s  

49 minutes ago, acatalano32 said:

My first thought was Srixon, being from Huntington Beach California I always thought it was cool being from the same place. 
but I would say Ping putters are under appreciated. Not a lot of tech but they do feel great and the black putters with white sight lines are very pleasing to look at.
most people gravitate to odyssey or Scotty’s  

Srixon is in Huntington Beach?

:ping-small:G410 plus driver,:taylormade-small:Aeroburner 3W, :cobra-small:F6 Baffler 
:callaway-small:XR 4, 5 hybrids
:titleist-small:2021 T300 6 - GW, SW irons
:callaway-small: Mack Daddy CB 58/12 wedge
Axis1 Rose putter

Alternates: Srixon ZX4 MKII irons

On 3/12/2024 at 2:59 AM, GolfSpy_APH said:

Don't think or believe there is one right answer, but with so many brands in the market there are likely some doing amazing work that just don't get the recognition. L.A.B. could definitely be one of those, but their tour success has certainly vaulted them. 

Red Rooster is our unheralded glove brand that does do much but is very much an unknown outside of some forum and other spaces. 

what do you think?

For me, it is Sub 70 golf...

22 minutes ago, Jeremy26 said:

Big brands? Cobra. Their clubs are awesome. My buddy would say Martini Tees. He's been using the same tee for 3 years. 

Yes. Definitely Cobra.

I played their S2 Driver for years until I wore it out and discovered that it was actually costing me distance. It was a great fairway splitter!! 

Like others have said, I think Maxfli has made leaps and bounds to making a great ball in the Tour and Tour X, great performance and awesome price! Wedges I would go Cleveland, I go back and forth with my old Cleveland’s and Vokeys. For someone looking to get into golf I always recommend Cleveland wedges for the price and performance. Finally for irons, I don’t think they make anything new but for used clubs I’m a sucker for Bridgestone irons. I honestly don’t know who built their clubs but I enjoy playing them, from the few sets I’ve owned. Every time I get a chance I fall back in love with them and it seems only forum members know about these

Driver - Rogue ST Max LS

3W - Rogue ST MAX

Hybrid - Epic Flah + Big Bertha 19

Irons - Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metals

Wedges - Vokey 54, 58

Putter - Odessey O-Works V-Fang

SeeMore Putters. They had a surge years ago, but they are still around. I put one in the bag two years ago and I don't know if it's ever coming out.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

Time for people to jump on the Sub70 bandwagon. Great clubs, easy company to work with.

If you live in the area it is worth going for a club fitting!  As a lefty I appreciate their selection.

Driver: Stealth+, stiff VA composites Nemesys. 

3wood: Cobra speedzone (16*) stiff Tensei

hybrid: TBD

Irons: Sub70 combo all RAW finish 5-7 659 CB, 8-AW 659 TC 

Wedges: Sub70 JB Raw full groove 54* ( 10* bounce), 60* ( 6* bounce)

Putter: Rife 2 bar ( but this can change daily )

Being in the UK and talking to people close to my age (26) PING is considered the old man clubs, I personally would have Driver, 3 wood 5 wood 7 wood of PING just because of how forgiving they are. Cleveland Wedges are massively underappreciated in this game again by our age group as they see Vokeys as the one answer to it all.

P.J.Marshall

PING G425 MAX 9°

TaylorMade M2 (2017) 3 wood

TaylorMade M2 (2017) 3 Hybrid

Stealth Irons 4-PW

SM6 52 + 58

Odyssey 2 Ball Blade (currently looking at other putters)

Either Srixon AD333 or TM Tour Response Stripe

Callaway Chev carry and trolley bag

Ben Sayers Electric Trolley 

On 3/12/2024 at 1:30 PM, KC Golf said:

I think DTCs like Haywood, Takomo and Red Rooster are brands that a few years ago were totally unheard of.  All are basically DTC that built their brand through Instagram.

I remember putting these names in my bag and guys would just grab it and ask me all about it.

This happens to me all the time with my Takomo irons

Edited by kovek
  • Putter Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11
  • 58 wedge (56 bended to 58) Ben Hogan Imperial
  • 52 wedge Takomo Skyforger
  • P-4 Takomo 101
  • 4 Hybrid Taylormade M6
  • 3 Wood Taylormade M6
  • Driver Callaway Epic GBB
  • Ball Taylormade TP5X

Surprised to not see many saying Mizuno as they are not really popular on tour. They make some of the best irons out there and their 2024 driver is pretty close to hanging with some of the bigger brands performance wise when I swung it.

Kane Smith