How'd you play?

MmmmmmBuddy

So one week later, I’ve completely forgotten how to play this game period…

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

moments of brilliance, and 35 putts, adds up to 80 today...

1st social round in over a month and I wasn't really disappointed...

Seems strange to say after shooting 80 however I am working on getting back to hitting golf shots that I need to hit under pressure so I saw some progress today. 

12 fairways hit, 12 greens, and 35 putts, adds up to 80, I am looking forward to my session with a local pro tomorrow and continuing the process... 

committed to performance excellence

Played 18 today.  The group I got set with played super fast on the front 9, to the time of 1h45min. then after a 5 minute wait on hole 12 they quit (par 3)  I played on. The 2some in front of me waited and let me play through on hole 14.

Ended up with a par/bogey on 15. I marked bogey, but the 20 foot putt was perfect. The wind was blowing, causing the flagstick to bend, and the ball tinked the pin and clipped out about 3 inches from the hole. I was bummed out for a moment.  So technically I had 3, 3 putts.

Ended on a par on 18 to scrape out an 85 total

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

Back to my normally scheduled putting ability… 

IMG_4055.jpeg

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

It has been awhile since I have been on here, work has been crazy and taken me from golf. So naturally golf has been frustrating, mostly due to me not being able to manage my expectations. The busy work schedule has bleed into my golf rounds. Up until yesterday I haven’t hit balls on the range or practiced in a month. Yesterday, I had no business shooting 78 but my new Jailbird Cruiser was on fire! I could not get off the tee and our rough is crazy thick. I somehow shot one over on the front, but just ran out of good lies on bad tee shots on the back.  I went to the range today to practice and got to hit 10 balls before work exploded and I had to leave. Here is what I shot yesterday. 
SCORE 78

FIR 4/14

GIR 6/18

PUTTS 27(PB🔥)

:srixon-small:ZX 5 LS MKII 9.5* Accra TZFIVE 60 M5 Masters Edition 

:srixon-small: ZX MKII 3W 15* Project X HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX U.S.A. 8TX

:srixon-small: ZX MKII Utility 2 18* Accra TZ FIVE 105D M5

:mizuno-small: Mizuno Pro 225 4 Fujikura Axiom 105X

:srixon-small: ZX7 5-PW KBS $Taper 130 BLACK PVD

:cleveland-small: RTX 6 Zipcore 50.10/54.10 Full Project X 6.0

:ping-small: GLIDE 4.0 60.10S DYNAMIC GOLD TOUR ISSUE S400

:odyssey-small: AI-ONE Cruiser Jailbird 38”

:bridgestone-small: TOUR BX

:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9 with Slope 

:SuperSpeed:

51 minutes ago, cjeffs12 said:

It has been awhile since I have been on here, work has been crazy and taken me from golf. So naturally golf has been frustrating, mostly due to me not being able to manage my expectations. The busy work schedule has bleed into my golf rounds. Up until yesterday I haven’t hit balls on the range or practiced in a month. Yesterday, I had no business shooting 78 but my new Jailbird Cruiser was on fire! I could not get off the tee and our rough is crazy thick. I somehow shot one over on the front, but just ran out of good lies on bad tee shots on the back.  I went to the range today to practice and got to hit 10 balls before work exploded and I had to leave. Here is what I shot yesterday. 
SCORE 78

FIR 4/14

GIR 6/18

PUTTS 27(PB🔥)

Congratulations!  And welcome back to golf!!

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Saturday I played one of my best scoring rounds of the year. We played the local municipal course for the first time in over a year. We usually play at clubs in the area or at the country club that I'm a member at. Shot a 67. And that's with a triple and a double bogey on back to back holes. That really sucked. But I did birdie three of the par 3's and I had 27 putts on the round. 

And yes, my short game has been really good lately, as opposed to my driver now. Which has disappeared all of a sudden. But I will take a sub 70 round any day, anytime. 😁

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym Ai Smoke ♦♦♦ 8° Shaft: Mitsubishi Diamana PD 60g TX

Fairway Woods: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST LS 5w Krank Formula FIRE 3+ 13°

Irons: :mizuno-small: Pro 245's

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Zipcore RTX 54°

Wedge: :callaway-logo-1: JAWS RAW Matte Black 58°

Putter: :odyssey-small: Ai-ONE Milled Seven T CH

Bag: :Ogio: Woode 15 Cart Bag

Ball: :callaway-logo-1: Chrome Tour

X Profile: TheSavvyGolfer (@SavvyGolfNC)

Post not for me but for my son's tournament today.  I worked my 3rd shift as normal and then took my son straight to school for the ride to the tourney.  I followed grabbing some coffee and food along the way.

PACKED FIELD, young talent everywhere.  Son is 6th seed currently.  One of his opponents is an absolute stick and I'm pretty sure that kid would beat me every day of the week.  Some of these kids are just amazing to watch, oh I got to watch a young man make an albatross on a par 5.  I was fortunate enough to watch his shot roll in as they were the group behind us.  I have never seen one before, and may not ever again.  Amazing. 

Our only goal today was to keep a level head, focus on the preshot routine, and think smooth (for transitions).  His first 9 he did just this, was hanging with the other players in his group, and dropped a 25' putt for par on his 3rd hole.  So proud of the work he has been putting in.  Was a fun LONG day.  Long story short, he may not have come out on top today but earned the chance to play another 18-hole event tomorrow.  

Driver: Callaway Epic

Irons: 4-PW Callaway Apex 

Wedges: 1 Vokey in 52, 1 Callaway in 60, and a Callaway in 56

Putter:  All over the place, Titleist SC Circa 62 model 3 mostly in the bag.

I haven't been feeling well lately (probably bronchitis, possibly walking pneumonia, waiting on labs), but I was good enough to go to my league yesterday. OK, maybe good enough to walk, and my ballstriking was good, but I made a lot of mental mistakes. You'd think that looking down I could tell the difference between a 5W and a 5H. Apparently 6 and 9 are the same club. And finally, despite standing next to the 100 yard post I didn't have any second thoughts when the laser said 137.

Moose, my cat, is Siamese

20 hours ago, Sluggo42 said:

And it continued for 10 more holes, getting to 9 over- then suddenly I remembered, and went -2 to finish with a 79….

this game was invented to drive you insane…

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

Had our member-member this past weekend. 2 rounds played at our Heatherhurst Golf Club (Brae & Crag courses). We had the later tee time on Saturday and early on Sunday, which was great for me having to go back to work Monday morning.

Although my scores were pretty much average (94/93) on those courses, I was pretty happy with how my first ever golf tournament went. I had a few shots that didn't turn out great and lost a few rocks over the two days. But overall I had a great time partnering with my dad. I parred 6 out of 9 Par 3's over the two days, which I feel is damn good for a 20h. I had a handful of holes that reminded me of my potential, should I actually work on my swing and stuff to reach for it. I'll illustrate below.

This was from day 1. Afternoon start (around 1:15pm). This is the #1 handicap hole on the course and is full of choices and dangers. I rarely score less than a bogey on this hole, with double being very common. Either a bad tee shot or a fatted 2nd being the most likely culprits of those scores. But on Saturday I had 3 excellent shots leading to a par. I play with a BRNR mini driver right now, so I'm not super long and I was fighting a bit of a cut all weekend for some reason (my natural shape is a baby draw). So it was only about 210, but perfectly placed. I followed that up with a frozen rope 3w 205 to the landing area. I had a great 54* onto the green, just into the fringe behind the hole. 2 putts for par, and I was pumped.

Screenshot2024-08-12074054.png.343c902e96d69358e95ff6b8b9be7d83.png

I parred 3 par 3's and 3 par 5's during this round, only pars of the day.

I had a few holes like this on the second day with 3 more par 3 par's and a few other pars as well. So things are looking up, I just need to put some more work in especially with a net/mat/R10 in the garage.

Oh, we ended up 5th for net in our flight which put a few bucks back in our pockets which was nice.

Driver: :callaway-small: AI Smoke Ti 340 Mini Driver, 11.5* @ 10.5* D, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 70g, 43.75"
4 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus 5w, 19* @ 17*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 70g
7 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth2 21*, Stiff :Fuji: Ventus Red TR 6-S Non-Velocore
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi 23* Hybrid / Iron Replacement, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: S23, 54* & 60*, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter:
Maltby_Logo.jpg.7f7f2f102dcb7b289e419805910e4aab.jpg Moment X Tour @ 35" & 71*, Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, White/Red
Ball: :maxfli: Tour CG
Technology:
VortexGolf_Logo.jpg.2ad1215c7b1aa2ccf8d062a73bc72142.jpg Anarch Rangefinder, :ShotScope: V5 w/ Tags Shot Tracking.

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/65161-vortex-optics-rangefinders-2024-member-test/?do=findComment&comment=1089247
https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/66852-unofficial-review-tpi-virtual-assessment
https://forum.mygolfspy.com/classifieds/ - DON'T FORGET ABOUT THE CLASSIFIEDS!!!

Thankful to finally be back and shaking the rust off.  Funnily enough, as you knock some rust off, more comes back with a vengeance.  

Played in a charity scramble yesterday and absolutely struggled (understatement) all day with any shot over 120 yards.  Irons were in shambles, driver had a bad off day.  But solace came from the short game ( @BIG STU would have been proud).    Wedges and my putter turned into Steph Curry from three point land.  Netted an eagle from about 95 yards out on our fifth hole.  Touch of wind in our face, hole elevated just bit.  Took out my 58*,  hit it just past the hole, spun back smacked the pin and in.  Putter netted some 20 footers; ended up with a team 59 and called it a day.

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

:callaway-small:  Apex Ai200  5-PW |  DG 115 Mid
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
:EVNROLL:  ER2
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

bettinardilogo2MGS.png

55 minutes ago, JohnSmalls said:

Thankful to finally be back and shaking the rust off.  Funnily enough, as you knock some rust off, more comes back with a vengeance.  

Played in a charity scramble yesterday and absolutely struggled (understatement) all day with any shot over 120 yards.  Irons were in shambles, driver had a bad off day.  But solace came from the short game ( @BIG STU would have been proud).    Wedges and my putter turned into Steph Curry from three point land.  Netted an eagle from about 95 yards out on our fifth hole.  Touch of wind in our face, hole elevated just bit.  Took out my 58*,  hit it just past the hole, spun back smacked the pin and in.  Putter netted some 20 footers; ended up with a team 59 and called it a day.

Thanks for the flowers man. I am not nearly as good with a wedge as I was when you played with me at Indian Wells all those years back. Of course when you were with me at Indigo I was recovering and I remember my back gave out after like 12 holes. I am still working on my wedge timing with the shortened swing. Of course I cannot practice like I used to

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Speeder 565 R flex- - 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R---- Irons 5 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex steel shafts--- SW -- Cleveland 588 56* S-400 Sensicore --- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter 1997 Scotty Cameron Santa Fe Fluted Bulls Eye shaft--- Bag TM Flex Lite Stand---- Yeah I know only 11 clubs 

G

Today wasn't a bad round. Shot a ho-hum 77.  Not too bad 12FWY, 9GIR....one birdie.  The agony was the terminal wait between shots...the round took over 4hrs.  The guys ahead of me were plumb bobbing every missed putt.  If you gonna miss them all, just hit the ball.  They were playing out of the baby buggies and playing by committee.  Everyone had to discuss every shot, then drive 10 yards to the next one and do it all over again.  I am beginning to think every one of the baby buggies should come with the "cone of silence" from Get Smart.  Stop Talking and Play!  I am beginning to believe golf should be silent.  They were playing in a tournament and the group ahead of them were a hole and a half ahead of them.  Keep up! Keep quiet and play golf!!!  But, I am on the course to play.  I have great patience with kids, ladies, and beginners playing, but guys who play the course regularly should be able to play quicker.  

Sorry for the rant!  I hate playing slow!

Cobra LTDx one-length 6-SW

Cobra Aerojet 2,3,4,5 Hybrids--85g stiff shafts

Cobra F8 10.5* Driver 

Cleveland CBX 58* Wedge

Bettinardi Mercedes-Benz putter

Dedicated Walker

Wow. Amazing how things change in 1 day. Yesterday had a really good range session, felt confident. This mornings league play 180* straight opposite. Played my worst round of the year. But I felt good. Just couldn't get any loft on the shots and had a number of equator shots. Some reason I just could not get down on that sphere at all. Got to love it.😫

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

On 8/11/2024 at 5:48 PM, Indy_Oz said:

I finally broke 80 this year! I've had plenty of sub-40 9-hole rounds, but until today I hadn't put together a round in the 70s in 2024. I don't often play 18, so that doesn't help.

I played well overall and shot a 78 (+7). I felt I was hitting the ball well and rolling putts well enough to score lower than I did. It was only the second time playing this course, so I have to temper expectations a little. Fairways rolled (bounded!) well as they were mostly very firm and plenty of good tee shots ran out of fairway. Greens were mostly firm, very short cut and rolled and as a result were fast- certainly a lot faster than my local muni I play league on. We think there was a comp there recently as the pins were placed for a comp. All tucked in corners, on slopes or right at the edge of a downhill etc. Some of the greens were very receptive of spin- I span one 50* approach 14ft back and off the green.lol

The course seems to be struggling to keep the greens healthy. Lots of patchy greens with dead/ no grass areas. Despite that, most of the greens rolled true.

I didn't manage to hole a single birdie putt, despite getting very close and having plenty of tap in second putts. That was frustrating! The number of up and downs was satisfying though. I feel so close to going really low. But such is golf...

Course management needs some work. Some silly decisions cost me strokes.

My swing felt good, particularly with irons and 7W. I also navigated the bunkers pretty well, considering my regular course doesn't have any and I don't practice in the sand much at all.

image.png.35b4fa9f2832f490c7ac1ba9e2ad5cab.png

C89419EC-E69C-47C6-8ADB-5E2669672B7F_1_105_c.jpeg.571ae2f9f57ca25b6522170dd30ef007.jpeg

Now off for dinner with the family...

Happy Sunday!

Awesome round, that must feel good.

:taylormade-small: M4 Driver 9.5 degree adjusted to 10.5 Fujikura Atmos 5s

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood

:taylormade-small: Sim Max 2 D 5-wood

:taylormade-small: M4 4 Hybrid

:cobra-small: Radspeed KHS shafts 5-GW

:titleist-small:  52 Vokey sm6

:wilson_staff_small: 56 Wilson Staff full face

:cleveland-small: Huntington Soft Beach Premier 11s with a counter weight Superstroke grip

That’s great @Rob Person!  I will look for it on IG and YT.  Is your handle the same as here?

Working at getting better ... and very slowly getting there.

•  :callaway-small: Paradym 🔹🔹🔹 Max 8* (:accra:  Shogun Blue M0 Otto-Phlex)
  •  :taylormade-small: Brnr Mini driver 13.5* (:accra: FX 3.0 140 M1 Otto-Phlex)
  • :callaway-small: Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids
  •  Maltby TS1 (shafts:  :kbs: Tour 120S)
  • :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore 53*, and 58* mid wedges (:projectx: wedge shafts 6.5)
  • :cleveland-small: Frontline Elite 1.0
  • :redrooster: Gloves

My Official 2024 TaylorMade Qi10 Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62804-taylormade-qi10-drivers-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1014200

My Official 2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/58614-2023-mgs-forum-member-test-red-rooster-sussex-golf-glove/#comment-911042

16 minutes ago, IndyBonzo said:

That’s great @Rob Person!  I will look for it on IG and YT.  Is your handle the same as here?

Yes, same name.on IG, I will post the video here from My YT when it's uploaded 

WITB-

29 minutes ago, Rob Person said:

Does anyone else followed Dave Finks simplify sh!t videos? 

Let me tell you, I watched one he posted yesterday about standing taller when using a driver.  I tried it today, and holy moly what a difference!

I averaged 240 yards on my drives today. Longest was 257!  Hit every fairway too!

I've never had so much confidence off the tee box!

I will be uploading a video in a next day or so.

Shot a PB on 9 holes of a +3 for a 39!  Had zero 3 putts today too!

I'm still riding that high!!!

If you follow me on IG, you can see the post round clip I made. (It will be in the video once I get it uploaded to YT)

Awesome round!  

Titleist GT3 11* Tensei 1k blue

Titleist TSR2 4w 16*

Titleist TSR2 5w 18.75*

MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

Vokey SM9 Wedges 50* 54* 58*

DF2.1 Putter

29 minutes ago, Rob Person said:

Let me tell you, I watched one he posted yesterday about standing taller when using a driver.  I tried it today, and holy moly what a difference!

I averaged 240 yards on my drives today. Longest was 257!  Hit every fairway too!

If you follow me on IG, you can see the post round clip I made. (It will be in the video once I get it uploaded to YT)

Great round Rob, @Rob Person, and congrats on the new PB!

GT4,10 *, Ventus Black TR 6 S Velacore

TSR1, 15*, TPT Power Range Fairway 17 Lo 

TSR2, Hybrid, 18*, TPT Power Range Hybrid 17 Lo 

T-200, (2023), 5-PW,  SteelFiber, i95cw, S 

Vokey Design - 50 & 54, SteelFiber i95cw S, and Vokey S10 - 46 & 58, SteelFiber i95cw S

Odyssey JAILBIRD 380 Limited Edition

ELIXR (2022), MaxFli Tour S (2024)

41 minutes ago, Rob Person said:

Congrats on the PB and no 3 putts!

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym Ai Smoke ♦♦♦ 8° Shaft: Mitsubishi Diamana PD 60g TX

Fairway Woods: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST LS 5w Krank Formula FIRE 3+ 13°

Irons: :mizuno-small: Pro 245's

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Zipcore RTX 54°

Wedge: :callaway-logo-1: JAWS RAW Matte Black 58°

Putter: :odyssey-small: Ai-ONE Milled Seven T CH

Bag: :Ogio: Woode 15 Cart Bag

Ball: :callaway-logo-1: Chrome Tour

X Profile: TheSavvyGolfer (@SavvyGolfNC)

Let me start this by saying I haven’t played any golf for ten years but am back into it again this season. I was trying the Moe Norman swing in my comeback and honestly, my game was garbage. Six weeks ago I played so bad that the elderly ladies I was playing with asked me if I was a beginner. So humbled and frustrated I finished with a 102. I decided that the swing method was not for me and watched a video of my swing from 2013 and things were feeling better, for a day and then I hurt my hip somehow and wasn’t able to swing for the next 5 weeks. I made a swing overhaul and hit 10 balls at the range with my son and they were flush. The feeling made me feel like I was in my 20s again. The last shot I hit was a 4 iron and when it left the club I just watched the flight and said “oh wow.”  
I went out to the course (6200 yds) the next day and it was fantastic. I birdied the first hole. My longest club is a 19* hybrid and I was smoothing it out there 230-240 all day. My game was back! I shot 42 on the front, made a triple on 10 and then finished the last eight holes 3 over for an 84. It felt a little surreal.  After my practice swing I heard one of the older gentleman I was playing with say “what a beautiful swing” and his buddy told me that I should play more golf and try the senior tour. What a far cry from “are you a beginner?” What a game this is. Now that I have an idea of my yardages I think I can shoot in the 70’s on my home course and once I acquire a driver I’ll move back a tee. 

Titleist 735 cm 4-pw 

Titleist 818 h1 19*
Titleist 818 h2 23*
Taylormade RAC Black 52*/60*
Ping Craz E Karsten Putter

5 hours ago, Formergreenskeeper said:

Let me start this by saying I haven’t played any golf for ten years but am back into it again this season. I was trying the Moe Norman swing in my comeback and honestly, my game was garbage. Six weeks ago I played so bad that the elderly ladies I was playing with asked me if I was a beginner. So humbled and frustrated I finished with a 102. I decided that the swing method was not for me and watched a video of my swing from 2013 and things were feeling better, for a day and then I hurt my hip somehow and wasn’t able to swing for the next 5 weeks. I made a swing overhaul and hit 10 balls at the range with my son and they were flush. The feeling made me feel like I was in my 20s again. The last shot I hit was a 4 iron and when it left the club I just watched the flight and said “oh wow.”  
I went out to the course (6200 yds) the next day and it was fantastic. I birdied the first hole. My longest club is a 19* hybrid and I was smoothing it out there 230-240 all day. My game was back! I shot 42 on the front, made a triple on 10 and then finished the last eight holes 3 over for an 84. It felt a little surreal.  After my practice swing I heard one of the older gentleman I was playing with say “what a beautiful swing” and his buddy told me that I should play more golf and try the senior tour. What a far cry from “are you a beginner?” What a game this is. Now that I have an idea of my yardages I think I can shoot in the 70’s on my home course and once I acquire a driver I’ll move back a tee. 

That's awesome!!!

WITB-

11 hours ago, Rob Person said:

Nice job Rob!  I overthink my driver swing every time I step over the ball.  Where can I find the Dave Finks videos?

MPW

I had a solid 9 holes in league play last night with a 37.  The only disappointing shot was a first putt that I misread the speed and left about 7 feet short resulting in a lip out 3 putt for bogey.  I kept the tee ball in play every hole and barely missed two greens rolling through them into the rough.  Got up and down 1 / 2.  Birdied the par 5 to balance out one of the bogeys.  Putting was frustrating as I didn't have a good feel and missed a few 10 - 12 footers for birdie.

I am playing better than I have in a while and can tell because I am not completely happy with a 37.  Last year that would have had me doing the happy dance!  🥸

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex; :callaway-logo-1: Mavrik 18* 5w;  :mizuno-small: JPX 919 HM Pro 4i;  :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

On 8/12/2024 at 4:51 PM, Sluggo42 said:

I can totally relate....

Another rough night in league last night. The stupid thing is I really didn't feel like I was playing that poorly (other than 1 really bad hole), but I know my decision-making turned bad and I started taking too many risks to try to resurrect my round. It bit me.  All told, I walked off with yet another 50 (second in a row on this 9). Since the season is winding down and I feel like this season (2nd half especially) has been a dumpster fire, I decided to look more closely at my scores.

image.png.999776e2dd4015442b2270302502794a.png

I guess what I can take away from this is that even though my good rounds have been better this year, my bad rounds have been worse - I am certainly lacking consistency, which I blame mostly on my struggles with driver the last couple months (with some lesser blame on periodic short game woes). My Max - Min range last year was 9, versus 12 this year. For reference, I started 2023 as a 6 and ended the season a 4 and stayed there until about 5 weeks ago when I jumped to a 5.

I should add that we changed tees on one hole on the front that likely accounts for much of the increase in average. Up until this year, everyone played the whites, regardless of age, except for one hole. We voted a few years ago that everyone play the senior tees on a par 5 that was a huge struggle for the older guys (but made it driver, 8 iron for me on a really good drive). This year we changed to let the 65+ guys play senior tees on all holes and moved the younger folks back to the whites on that hole. Now it's a big-boy par 5 again and on my best day I have been ~30 yards short of the green in two. I might have to dig through Arccos and see what my scores on that hole look like this year vs years past.

EDIT: So I quickly went through Arccos and the results shocked me a bit. On hole 6 (par 5 in question), 2023 scoring average was 5.4. This year to-date it is 5.25. Once I thought about it, it does make some sense. From the senior tees, I can and have reached trouble on both sides of the fairway. From the whites, trouble is almost entirely out of reach. I had 4 penalties on the hole last year and 0 this year. Perception is not always reality. That change helped me this year, so I guess I just suck more.

Edited by MaxEntropy

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
7W: :callaway-small:Epic Flash 19* TourAD (can't remember the exact model)
4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 23* Recoil 780ES
5-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
54*, 58*: :Sub70: TAIII Black
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Most Recent TestFit For Golf 2.0

1 hour ago, mwade4040 said:

Nice job Rob!  I overthink my driver swing every time I step over the ball.  Where can I find the Dave Finks videos?

https://youtube.com/@davefinkgolfs?si=6yV5XtedoJNwKH1Z

WITB-