RookieBlue7

How'd you play?

I hate playing without warming up. That is all.

+1. Especially if the first few holes stink and you can't get out of a funk. I always find it easier to tune my swing first at the range than on the course.

Played good and bad, and I think the 95 degree weather just drained me. 4 pars and 2 birdies (which i get 1 birdie about every 5 rounds) and still shot a 92. Off the tee box, terrible, wedge game and putter, great!

• Like 1

Had an excellent day yesterday until the horn went and everyone had to scurry off the course like mad due to lightning. We rarely, like once every couple of years, see lightning here and it rolled in really, really quickly. I've never seen Marshall's scramble so fast to get out there and let everyone know to get off the course NOW.

And of course it happens while I'm on my way to killing my personal best on that track by a huge amount. Oh fickle mother nature.

You guys are killing me!

I'd just like to play right now - heck I'd just like to get on a range and hit a few - got rained out last Tuesday and Friday, went to practice yesterday, got my clubs out of the trunk and it started raining. Went to work at 7:30 and have to work until 8:30 tonight so decided I would take a couple of hours off to practice today and it's raining.

I'm supposed to play tomorrow afternoon - guess what the forecast is calling for?

I really feel for the guys who are going to get me as their A player on Saturday - it could easily have been 5 weeks since I played 18 holes by then.

Played 9 in the rain, not really working score, but working on the game itself. Getting reps to work distance and control on the course, taking what I get to work with. Still managed a 42, with some really, really weak putting. Had to take two penalties, lost one to the water trying to play close to the pin and getting hung up in the wind on a watery par 3. Took the second one on a lost ball that disappeared in the fairway. I saw it land, but by the time I walked out there, it was gone. Probably hiding in plain sight, but I couldn't find it. It was all good though, took bogey on the first, and double on the second. penalties are score killers.

Also found that the minor adjustment to my swing and shot setup has really helped with getting out of sand. Had one of those shots that keeps you coming back out of the middle right side bunker on the par 5 #15. Tee shot was a little short in the humid, heavier drizzle, so I rolled back into the right edge bunker, end up sitting flat in the middle of the bunker about 210 from the front edge. The bunker edge I was going out over was just low enough that a good clean swing with the 19* hybrid should get out clear it, and with a tiny little draw I should be able to leave a nice little10-15 yard tapper to get close to the pin.

Some stroke of luck though, not only did I get it clean, it took off like a rocket. I was standing down in the sand and down hill, so I could see that the distance was good, and the angle was right, but that was it. rake out the sand, and hike up to the ball.

There is sits, about 4 feet from the pin, and judging by the ball mark, it hit about 3 feet in front of the green, bounced on and rolled the last 8-10 feet to come to rest. Of course I missed the putt, but who cares, 4 feet from the pin with a second shot on a par 5 from the beach!

Some times, it's not the round, it's just that one shot that keeps you coming back for more.

I am about to depress everyone that is above a 10 handicap, I shot a score yesterday that was horrid for my standards. It was an 83 after handicap reduction (84 in reality). That was a 7.1 differential from the tees that I played, so that is sort of why I say that.

First off I had about 3 or 4 holes where I had iron swings that resembled a 30 handicap I topped them to be exact knee high to a midget or even ankle high on one it was pathetic. My short game didn't do so hot and putting just sucked. Let me just dive into the stats and why I wanted to shoot myself after the round.

Fairways Hit ~ 11 of 14

GIRs ~ 8 of 18

Up/Down Saves ~ 3 of 7

Sand Saves ~ 0 of 2

Putts ~ 36 total, four 3 putts (two lipped out), I played 19 different green speeds yesterday (practice green and 18 holes), each green with the same amount of slope and break with the exact same length of stroke resulted in 19 different distances, impossible to get in a groove.

Penalty Strokes ~ 1 (the only tee shot that really got away from me, big push fade)

In short all my full swing mistakes came from a fast transition / poor tempo. My short game shots that were not converted were mostly putting errors. The Penalty Stroke cost me Double Bogey (3 from the tee lost ball). I made my Triple from the f***ing center of the fairway on 16. Great drive, terrible 2nd into a bunker, left it short in another bunker, left that short of the green, pitched on and two putts later walked of the hole. Sorry just had to vent this one out, it just totally pissed me off to not break 80 when I drove the ball as well as I did there is no excuse for that at all.

I am about to depress everyone that is above a 10 handicap, I shot a score yesterday that was horrid for my standards. It was an 83 after handicap reduction (84 in reality). That was a 7.1 differential from the tees that I played, so that is sort of why I say that.

First off I had about 3 or 4 holes where I had iron swings that resembled a 30 handicap I topped them to be exact knee high to a midget or even ankle high on one it was pathetic. My short game didn't do so hot and putting just sucked. Let me just dive into the stats and why I wanted to shoot myself after the round.

Fairways Hit ~ 11 of 14

GIRs ~ 8 of 18

Up/Down Saves ~ 3 of 7

Sand Saves ~ 0 of 2

Putts ~ 36 total, four 3 putts (two lipped out), I played 19 different green speeds yesterday (practice green and 18 holes), each green with the same amount of slope and break with the exact same length of stroke resulted in 19 different distances, impossible to get in a groove.

Penalty Strokes ~ 1 (the only tee shot that really got away from me, big push fade)

In short all my full swing mistakes came from a fast transition / poor tempo. My short game shots that were not converted were mostly putting errors. The Penalty Stroke cost me Double Bogey (3 from the tee lost ball). I made my Triple from the f***ing center of the fairway on 16. Great drive, terrible 2nd into a bunker, left it short in another bunker, left that short of the green, pitched on and two putts later walked of the hole. Sorry just had to vent this one out, it just totally pissed me off to not break 80 when I drove the ball as well as I did there is no excuse for that at all.

Dude - that reads like one of my rounds!!!!

Well, except for the fairways hit...

Dude - that reads like one of my rounds!!!!

Well, except for the fairways hit...

Well shaving even one stroke playing a tee that has a high course and slope rating translates almost into I handicap point per stroke. At my home course the par is 72 and the course rating is a 73.9 with a slope of 141. I have set some goals for myself this season, and I was just venting at how poorly I played. Remove the Penalty Stroke and 4 three putts, you get my round at a 78 rather then a 84.

I'll be honest with my objective, I want to shoot 20 rounds in a row that break 80. That sounds like a tail order but it's really not that bad. I know with my full swing coming around (evidence of 11 of 14 fairways and on a shitty day 8 GIR), I need to keep working hard on putting and short game. Here is the list of differentials for my course from the tips, when we sit here and talk about lowering a handicap espesually as a single digit it comes down to 1 or 2 strokes off the round on average. I tossed in sub-70 rounds for the heck of it so you can see what a tour pro might shot and the best scores recorded on tour.

79 (4.1), 78 (3.3), 77 (2.5), 76 (1.7), 75 (0.9), 74 (0.1), 73 (-0.7), 72 (-1.5)

71 (-2.3), 70 (-3.1), 69 (-3.9), 68 (-4.7), 67 (-5.5), 66 (-6.3), 65 (-7.1)

64 (-7.9), 63 (-8.7), 62 (-9.5), 61 (-10.3), 60 (-11.1), 59 (-11.9), 58 (-12.7)

You can only imagine that the PGA Tour probably has an average of a 75.0 rating / 145 slope from the tournament tee... I know that the Ocean Course at Kiawah Island, this years host to the PGA Champ Major, has a slope of 77.2 / 144 on a normal day. I'm pretty sure it is a par 72 course, to shoot a par round on the course would be 72 (-4.1).

It would be interesting to see what the handicaps of tour players actually were, I have the guess that most of them are +3 to +5 roughly others have said +2 to +4, others +4 to +6

Just got back from playing what is probably my worst ball striking round of the year. Or half round I suppose since I walked off after nine. I only hit 1 of 7 fairways, and 3 of 9 greens. I also 3 putted 2 of those holes in which I hit the green. My two saving graces were my short game, and not taking any penalty strokes. I managed to save par on quite a few of those missed greens due to solid pitch shots. I ended with a 4 over 40, which I'm not happy with at all. Hence the walking off the course haha. I guess I'll be hitting the range for a bit tomorrow.

I'm with Tyk, playing without warming up is terrible. Combine that with an insanely slow pace of play and I get driven up the wall. Especially when I'm playing by myself as I was tonight. Next round is on Wednesday, so hopefully I'll be able to work things out before then.

JMiller now I understand why you were disagreeing with us about length of a round - no doubt that when you're playing a course that tough the rounds will take longer.

I don't know that I would enjoy it all the time though - I really don't - my ideal is course rating right around 72 and slope around 130 - Break 75 and it's a nice round. I've certainly played courses with ratings of 75 and slopes over 140 and had some reasonably good scores on them (and some train wrecks). Since it's been in the news lately Blackwolf run comes to mind - the River Course is 76 152 from the tips (and it's not even 7,000 yards long). The first time I played it I shot 83 and it felt like a billion - it wasn't even that bad a round - my low of 73 there would be like shooting a 68 and the course that I'll play tomorrow - hard to imagine.

Speaking of tomorrow I'm really hoping the weather holds - I haven't played 18 in over a month - it's been 7 years since that's happened to me. :( :( :(

JMiller now I understand why you were disagreeing with us about length of a round - no doubt that when you're playing a course that tough the rounds will take longer.

I don't know that I would enjoy it all the time though - I really don't - my ideal is course rating right around 72 and slope around 130 - Break 75 and it's a nice round. I've certainly played courses with ratings of 75 and slopes over 140 and had some reasonably good scores on them (and some train wrecks). Since it's been in the news lately Blackwolf run comes to mind - the River Course is 76 152 from the tips (and it's not even 7,000 yards long). The first time I played it I shot 83 and it felt like a billion - it wasn't even that bad a round - my low of 73 there would be like shooting a 68 and the course that I'll play tomorrow - hard to imagine.

Speaking of tomorrow I'm really hoping the weather holds - I haven't played 18 in over a month - it's been 7 years since that's happened to me. :( :( :(

Well I don't think it is JUST the fact of a harder course, they are the best in the world at the sport after all. I think it has to do mostly with the rules of golf. It is not like in a tour event they can bend the rules a little at all for the reason of peace of play. You can't just proceed under the assumption that you know the rules, if you get them wrong in a situation it could be a penalty of 2 strokes or worse, maybe even a DQ from the tournament in some cases of rules violations. When you have to worry about a single stroke then you are going to a lot more time more often in picking shots and in situations call a rules official over to make a ruling so that you know that you don't get dinged, take Dustin Johnson at the PGA Championship grounding his club in a bunker and 2 strokes cost him a spot in the playoff.

But that is why I don't really agree that peace of play being 5 hours in a tournament of 75+ golfers is really that slow. I would be shocked to see it even get down to 4:30 hours of play it would be great if they could do that but with the way the rules are in golf and with the huge prizes and stuff that can be made on tour it's probably not going to happen.

Sorry for getting OT for a second their back to how'd you play

Alright I managed to play 18 today for the first time in over a month. I was very shaky at first but fought my way through 6 at 3 over and then stuff started to kick in and I was even the rest of the way - shot 75 - not bad at all - hit some good shots, got my golf legs under me but did run out of steam the last few holes.

I did chip and putt pretty well which is not surprising given that I've had time to practice those parts of the game - no 3 putts, really no missed putts inside of my 50/50 point - made a nice birdie putt of about 15 feet on the back and had lots of other good looks for birdie there that burned the edges.

I'm happy, happy to have played golf, happy that I showed signs of playing good golf. Played with three great guys including a guy who's always neck and neck with me for low handicap in the league. He shot 76 so I nipped him. I had to laugh because we don't play a lot and have never really talked about equipment - he works at the course and got a new Rocket blz driver. I asked him if it was the stock shaft and he said, "Are you kidding. Stock shafts are for chumps. This one is an aldila that the pro fit me for and then helped me install. It's 44 and a half inches." I told him about this sight and hopefully he'll join the fun.

Alright I managed to play 18 today for the first time in over a month. I was very shaky at first but fought my way through 6 at 3 over and then stuff started to kick in and I was even the rest of the way - shot 75 - not bad at all - hit some good shots, got my golf legs under me but did run out of steam the last few holes.

I did chip and putt pretty well which is not surprising given that I've had time to practice those parts of the game - no 3 putts, really no missed putts inside of my 50/50 point - made a nice birdie putt of about 15 feet on the back and had lots of other good looks for birdie there that burned the edges.

I'm happy, happy to have played golf, happy that I showed signs of playing good golf. Played with three great guys including a guy who's always neck and neck with me for low handicap in the league. He shot 76 so I nipped him. I had to laugh because we don't play a lot and have never really talked about equipment - he works at the course and got a new Rocket blz driver. I asked him if it was the stock shaft and he said, "Are you kidding. Stock shafts are for chumps. This one is an aldila that the pro fit me for and then helped me install. It's 44 and a half inches." I told him about this sight and hopefully he'll join the fun.

Glad to see you back on the course Rev!

I have been playing great this year. This weekend I have qualifying for the Evansville city tournament, so I played a practice round yesterday. My morning started off horrible and I took an extremely crappy attitude to the course and not surprisingly, I played like a complete a$$hole. I was hooking the hell out of my drives; probably averaging about 300 off the tee....200 out, 100 left. I was also hooking the snot out of my irons. At the end of the day, I hit 2/14 fairways, 4/18 greens, and ended up shooting an 80. Moral of the story, don't take a bad attitude to the course, or you'll have bad results.

I have been playing great this year. This weekend I have qualifying for the Evansville city tournament, so I played a practice round yesterday. My morning started off horrible and I took an extremely crappy attitude to the course and not surprisingly, I played like a complete a$$hole. I was hooking the hell out of my drives; probably averaging about 300 off the tee....200 out, 100 left. I was also hooking the snot out of my irons. At the end of the day, I hit 2/14 fairways, 4/18 greens, and ended up shooting an 80. Moral of the story, don't take a bad attitude to the course, or you'll have bad results.

Amen - and by the way I used to have that shot - now it's more like 175 out and 75 left when I get the hooks going - older but wiser I think. B)

Amen - and by the way I used to have that shot - now it's more like 175 out and 75 left when I get the hooks going - older but wiser I think. B)

You know what frustrates me the most? I can't ever hit that massive hook, when I need it.

I have been playing great this year. This weekend I have qualifying for the Evansville city tournament, so I played a practice round yesterday. My morning started off horrible and I took an extremely crappy attitude to the course and not surprisingly, I played like a complete a$hole. I was hooking the hell out of my drives; probably averaging about 300 off the tee....200 out, 100 left. I was also hooking the snot out of my irons. At the end of the day, I hit 2/14 fairways, 4/18 greens, and ended up shooting an 80. Moral of the story, don't take a bad attitude to the course, or you'll have bad results.

I climbed under my Range Rover yesterday probably 20 time changing the stupid starter, two trips to the auto store to buy the right tools, one to get the starter and one to buy a damaged bolt, plus getting the tools, plus four times placing the jack under it because of course it would not start so I had to get it off the ground, etc... The alarm went off this morning and I seriously thought about calling my friends and cancelling. But I got out of bed thinking I would feel better eventually. And I just woke up from my nap and now do feel better,:P

My back was sore, I hit one good drive, I hit three or four other good shots. And overall, I just did not care. I would putt brilliantly followed by putting like I could not even spell green. I hit every club 20 yards less than normal, unless I planned on hitting less than normal in which case I flew the green. But I could have spent the day in an office.:D