Do You Find Wedge Grinds Confusing

This grind, that grind, bounce here, bounce there, heal and toe relief and so much more. The world of wedge grinds and such can be one that leaves even informed golfers somewhat baffled. 

Do you all understand it? Where does some of the confusion come into play with you?

Let's hear your wedge knowledge and where you think it can both be improved or where you feel you have a greater knowledge base in!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I understand the words and the intent of bounce and grind, but haven’t tried them enough to see how they actually work.   I also understand that how you deliver the club can completely change those variables.  Likening it to putters, book knowledge will say you need face balanced for SBSTish stroke and toe hang for arcs, but in practical application this is not always true.   My wedge game is poor and as a result I don’t manipulate my wedge much so I don’t see a lot of difference between the different grinds and bounces.

the big thing that s that I don’t have a place to try the different configurations so all I have is book knowledge on the topic and little practical experience.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

100% honesty - I very rarely pay attention to the grind. I do play CBX wedges, and have since they came out, so that's probably part of it.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

this seems to be predicated a lot on what is referred to as "turf interaction" and how you swing the club.

that assumes what we "interact" with the "turf" - otherwise known as hitting the ball on the ground 🤦‍♂️- on a consistent and regular basis as well as always swinging the club the same way. lol

I think there is a lot to it but just understanding the bounce was enough for me - and I barely even understand that. I think they keep it complicated on purpose...

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Axis1 TourHM
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

Nothing more confusing than this. Also just because they say something is good for your swing doesn’t necessarily mean it may not work for you. I play low bounce but have steep swing

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

I have enough understanding of grind and bounce.

I don’t worry about them to often because I play similar style courses and sand so my setup doesn’t change. But if I go somewhere where Bermuda is the primary type of grass of bunkers get too fluffy or hardly any sand then I have to figure out how to make what I have work.

The great thing is there are a number of fitting tools and information on the OEMs sites to help guide decisions. 

How one hits shots is going to play a role in what they need. How often and how much does one open the face on shots. What clubs are used for full swings, half swings, bunker play, how does one chip and pitch. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1