More runout, a fade or a draw

All things being equal, amount of spin, distance off center, etc. For a righty does a draw versus a fade roll farther? Does a fade have backwards spin versus a draw having forward spin or do they both have forward spin? My best drives have a slight fade and I rarely hit a draw.

Driver, fairways, irons are Sim 2 Max

Vokey wedges

Odyssey putter

Nitron Bag Boy

My draws seem to run out more than my fade.  

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

8 minutes ago, Jeffers said:

All things being equal, amount of spin, distance off center, etc. For a righty does a draw versus a fade roll farther? Does a fade have backwards spin versus a draw having forward spin or do they both have forward spin? My best drives have a slight fade and I rarely hit a draw.

With all things equal the rollout will be equal.    Balls hit don’t have forward spin until they have interaction with the ground.  

generalizing a draw will have a little less spin than a fade so it will roll out farther.    all things are not equal when you hit shots.  You need to factor in spin, descent angle, path, etc.    

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

18 minutes ago, Jeffers said:

All balls have backspin and some amount of side spin at launch. The angle of descent plays a role in what the ball does once it hits the ground as does ground conditions. 

A fade is more controllable because the amount of roll out will generally be less and therefore more controllable results. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I can't dispute anything that has been said above. Only thing I can add is that I personally get the most runout whenever I hit the cart path or on the rare occasion when I'm playing along side a highway.

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

Supposedly a draw has more of a top spin to it where as a slice has more of a side spin or backspin.  So a draw will roll out farther.  

Dweed, your post reminds me of Tin Cup and Don Johnson hitting the ball down the road.  Still going.   🙂

Driver: TaylorMade Stealth 2, 9.0, ventus blue 5R shaft

3 wood: TaylorMade Sim2 max, 15.0, ventus blue 5R shaft

5 wood: TaylorMade Burner (old school)

Irons:

4-PW - PXG-0311XP-Gen3, Modus Pro 105-R shafts

48 Deg wedge, Calloway Jaws

52 Deg wedge, Ping

56 Deg sandwedge, Powerbilt (had is since high school)

Putter: TaylorMade Spyder  

31 minutes ago, scbelowpar said:

Supposedly a draw has more of a top spin to it where as a slice has more of a side spin or backspin.  So a draw will roll out farther.  

Dweed, your post reminds me of Tin Cup and Don Johnson hitting the ball down the road.  Still going.   🙂

Any ball with top spin will dive into the ground without flying very far. All balls not miss hit will have back spin and more than likely some degree of side spin. 

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

Interesting comments, I ask this because my frequent golf partner who hits a draw where I hit a fade tells me that a draw has forward spin when it hits the ground where the fade has a backwards spin. It makes sense that both have back spin in the air. 

Driver, fairways, irons are Sim 2 Max

Vokey wedges

Odyssey putter

Nitron Bag Boy

From what I've been able to understand:

All golf shots (maybe with the exception of putts) have backspin, with more backspin resulting in less roll-out. Draws and fades are generated through sidespin. "All other things equal" therefore results in the same roll-out for a draw and a fade. In reality however, fades often have less roll-out due to the fact that fade spin is often accompanied by (more) backspin, which is in turn due to fade swings often having a more descending blow compared to draw swings. But this doesn't have to be the case, a drive with a 2 yard fade that was hit upward will have more roll-out than a drive with a 2 yard draw hit downward (all other things equal 😁)

WITB:

• Driver: Taylormade M5, Tensei Blue Stiff 75 grams
  • 3 wood: Taylormade M4 tour, Tensei Blue Stiff 65 grams
  • 3 iron: Taylormade P790, Hzrdus Black 6.5 85 grams
  • 4 - 9 iron: Taylormade p770, KBS tour 120
  • 46, 50, 54, 58: Taylormade SM3, Dynamic Gold s200
  • Putter: Scotty Circa 62

HCP: 0

Course: Royal Hague

24 minutes ago, DanieldR said:

From what I've been able to understand:

All golf shots (maybe with the exception of putts) have backspin, with more backspin resulting in less roll-out. Draws and fades are generated through sidespin. "All other things equal" therefore results in the same roll-out for a draw and a fade. In reality however, fades often have less roll-out due to the fact that fade spin is often accompanied by (more) backspin, which is in turn due to fade swings often having a more descending blow compared to draw swings. But this doesn't have to be the case, a drive with a 2 yard fade that was hit upward will have more roll-out than a drive with a 2 yard draw hit downward (all other things equal 😁)

Roll out on fades and draws are not always equal. It’s why fades are preferred off driver by the pros. They are more predicable in their end result. A draw can easily run out a lot more than expected due to spin.

Balls can only spin a single axis. Side spin and backspin are just spin. 

What if I told you my fades and draws have very similar spin numbers? There are no absolutes in golf.  What if I told you this people hit a draw and a fade with and ascending blow on driver and they both shots can be hit with an inside to out swing?

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

1 hour ago, GolfSpy_BNG said:

Any ball with top spin will dive into the ground without flying very far. All balls not miss hit will have back spin and more than likely some degree of side spin. 

Correct, top spin is not a normal golf shot.  A draw simply spins less than a fade typically. I know it's a common phase, but there's technically no such thing as side spin. There's only one way a ball can spin at one time. The axis tilt is what causes it to move left or right. The amount of tilt creates more movement one way or the other. 

:mizuno-small: ST-X 230, 9.5°, Fujikura Ventus Red TR, 7-X

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus, 15°, Accra FX 2.0 370 M4

:mizuno-small: MP-20 HMB, 3-4, Graphic Design Tour AD-95, X-Flex

:mizuno-small: MP-20, MMC, 5-PW, Nippon Modus 2.0 Tour 120, S-Flex

:mizuno-small: T-24, 50°, 55°, 60°, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 115

:mizuno-small: M.Craft II

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS

:Arccos: 

All things being equal, launch metrics and manner in which the ball interacts with the ground, the rollout should be really close.  That said, my observation is that draws tend to roll out more than fades.  I say "observation" because I can't hit a draw off the tee with driver... period 😆.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

On 4/18/2024 at 9:51 PM, RickyBobby_PR said:

Roll out on fades and draws are not always equal. It’s why fades are preferred off driver by the pros. They are more predicable in their end result. A draw can easily run out a lot more than expected due to spin.

Balls can only spin a single axis. Side spin and backspin are just spin. 

What if I told you my fades and draws have very similar spin numbers? There are no absolutes in golf.  What if I told you this people hit a draw and a fade with and ascending blow on driver and they both shots can be hit with an inside to out swing?

Those draws often, but not always, roll out more because they often have less total spin as the extent of backspin (or the absolute vertical component of total spin if you want to nitpick) is smaller. This is because the strike for a draw is generally, but again not always, less descending or more ascending than for a comparable fade (swing). https://mygolfspy.com/labs/mygolfspy-labs-draws-vs-fades/

This doesnt mean that for any individual it can't be the case that a fade rolls out the same amount or even more (which is why I keep using words as often and not always). My fades and draws have similar roll-outs as, for me, their (back)spin numbers are similar. But this is not what happens most often.

Hitting a fade with an in-to-out swing (when looking at the target line at least) is physically impossible. A (push) slice on the other hand...

WITB:

9 hours ago, DanieldR said:

Those draws often, but not always, roll out more because they often have less total spin as the extent of backspin (or the absolute vertical component of total spin if you want to nitpick) is smaller. This is because the strike for a draw is generally, but again not always, less descending or more ascending than for a comparable fade (swing). https://mygolfspy.com/labs/mygolfspy-labs-draws-vs-fades/

This doesnt mean that for any individual it can't be the case that a fade rolls out the same amount or even more (which is why I keep using words as often and not always). My fades and draws have similar roll-outs as, for me, their (back)spin numbers are similar. But this is not what happens most often.

Hitting a fade with an in-to-out swing (when looking at the target line at least) is physically impossible. A (push) slice on the other hand...

A top level instructor disagrees with you and a draw and fade both can be hit with ascending  aka positive aoa with driver.

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1425496-is-a-15-°-out-to-in-swing-path-acceptable/?do=findComment&comment=18960124

22 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

A top level instructor disagrees with you and a draw and fade both can be hit with ascending  aka positive aoa with driver.

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1425496-is-a-15-°-out-to-in-swing-path-acceptable/?do=findComment&comment=18960124

You are not reading my posts, nor the one you are referencing, that well 😂.

1. I never said anything about a draw or a fade HAVING to be hit with either a ascending or descending blow. I use terms like often and generally A LOT, because I am talking about what happens most often, not about "rules" in this case. I also used terms like LESS descending and even mention "or more ascending". I even, in my post before that, literally say that a fade can be hit with an upward angle of attack.

2. The post you are referencing talks to in-to-out vs out-to-in, not about angle of attack, which are very very different things.

3. The post you are referencing doesn't talk about a reference point: body or target line. A fade (which starts left of TARGET and ends on it) with an inside out swing compared to your body line is possible (if you just aim left with your body, which is actually what I do myself). A fade with an inside out swing compared to the target like is physically impossible, unless you have found a way around laws of physics 🤣

Edited by DanieldR

WITB: