Grip Replacement and Recommendations

Help a newbie out, I bought my clubs summer of last year and I’ve put probably 100+ rounds (range and play) on them. The grips feel okay, but I don’t really have much to go on for when it’s time to re-grip them. 

how do you all decide when it’s time? And any grip recommendations? I swung my friends club with Tour Wraps and liked those but curious if there’s any grips you swear by. Currently using the Golf Prides that came on my mizunos. 

check out this thread - 

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Axis1 TourHM
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

22 minutes ago, Au_funk93 said:

Help a newbie out, I bought my clubs summer of last year and I’ve put probably 100+ rounds (range and play) on them. The grips feel okay, but I don’t really have much to go on for when it’s time to re-grip them. 

how do you all decide when it’s time? And any grip recommendations? I swung my friends club with Tour Wraps and liked those but curious if there’s any grips you swear by. Currently using the Golf Prides that came on my mizunos. 

When the grips start getting a little slick and cleaning them doesn’t get them back to having a tacky feel is when I replace.    

Hard to provide grip recommendations without knowing your desire. Some people like softer grips, some firmer, some need grips for humid conditions, ribbed/no rib, budget, etc. .    my suggestion would be to go to golf pride, lampkin, and other grip OEMs and do their grip fitting tool and see what you get as a result.  You can also go to stores and feel the grips.   Then you can ask for people’s opinion on specific grips.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

When the grips start getting a little slick and cleaning them doesn’t get them back to having a tacky feel is when I replace.    

Hard to provide grip recommendations without knowing your desire. Some people like softer grips, some firmer, some need grips for humid conditions, ribbed/no rib, budget, etc. .    my suggestion would be to go to golf pride, lampkin, and other grip OEMs and do their grip fitting tool and see what you get as a result.  You can also go to stores and feel the grips.   Then you can ask for people’s opinion on specific grips.   

Yeah, I definitely understand so much of this is nuanced. I’ll probably take your suggestion and go to a golf shop and feel some but also plenty of research I can do online based off of the conditions im in (Dallas). 

Appreciate the answer on the first part as well; probably not quite due for new grips but probably a couple more months and I will need to

If you like the Tour Velvet the Star Grip Sidewinders are very similar. Very easy to install if you have access to an air compressor. 

Driver: PXG Black Ops, Ventus Blue 6X 

Fairways: PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 3 and 5 wood, Project X Riptide CB 6.0

Hybrid: PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 22 degree, Project X Riptide 6.0

Irons: PXG 0311P Gen 5 5-PW, Project X LS 6.5

Wedges: PXG SG2 50, 56(55), Modus 125 Wedge; PXG SG 2 60, KBS 130 Wedge  

Putter: TaylorMade Spider GT Red SB

Ball: Maxfli Tour S

MGS Star Grip Review: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63328-star-grips-2024-forum-review/

I'm just going to throw out my opinion on this 1 being I'm unsure of what you like as grips really are just a personal preference and heading to a gold shop just to try all of the different style is well worth it

I began using Golf Pride Tour Velvet Midsize Plus4's about 3 months ago and I loved them. I wish they had a little better of an alignment aid but I've learned to use what is given. They really help when having to choke down on the club.

DRIVER PING.png G425 MAX w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Orange RAW 65 S 12*

*DRIVER TESTING CALLAWAY.png.02d1ed01b3f95aaceb59b33edf1d6f2d.png Paradym Ai SMOKE MAX D w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 65 S 10.5*

WOOD TAYLORMADE.png.8ad786f4fccdf7215d321a861dfa1c7f.png STEALTH 2 Plus 3w w/ Mitsubishi Kali Red 75 S 15*

HYBRID PING.png G425 2h w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Orange RAW 75 S 17*

HYBRID PING.png G410 4h w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Orange 75 S 22*

IRONMIZUNO.png.2bd95ff6ee2eb76ff25e7f5057c68c47.png 919 Forged 4i-PW w/ Dynamic Gold 105 S300 

WEDGES PING.png Glide Forged Pro w/ ZZ115 W 50*/58*

PUTTER Cleveland.jpg FRONTLINE 8.0 w/ 35" Slant neck 3*

Golf Pride suggests regripping every 40 rounds or once a year, but really once your grips start to feel slick and you have to apply more pressure to hold on to them it's probably time. Grips, like putters, are highly personal and hard to recommend a "best" grip. Go to your local sporting goods/big box golf store and put your hands on the all their display grips to see what feels best to YOU.

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

2 hours ago, JAYER38 said:

I began using Golf Pride Tour Velvet Midsize Plus4's about 3 months ago and I loved them. I wish they had a little better of an alignment aid but I've learned to use what is given. 

I'm always amazed when I hear people rely on their grip for their alignment, perhaps because I've played a lot of grips with no logos. I always lay my club on the ground and square it to the ball and then take my grip. 

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

44 minutes ago, Headhammer said:

I'm always amazed when I hear people rely on their grip for their alignment, perhaps because I've played a lot of grips with no logos. I always lay my club on the ground and square it to the ball and then take my grip. 

Always go off the face angle for alignment but I like something to reference my grip itself and marks on the grip are perfect for that and repeatability. That's what golf is all about right?

DRIVER PING.png G425 MAX w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Orange RAW 65 S 12*

*DRIVER TESTING CALLAWAY.png.02d1ed01b3f95aaceb59b33edf1d6f2d.png Paradym Ai SMOKE MAX D w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 65 S 10.5*

WOOD TAYLORMADE.png.8ad786f4fccdf7215d321a861dfa1c7f.png STEALTH 2 Plus 3w w/ Mitsubishi Kali Red 75 S 15*

HYBRID PING.png G425 2h w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Orange RAW 75 S 17*

HYBRID PING.png G410 4h w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Orange 75 S 22*

IRONMIZUNO.png.2bd95ff6ee2eb76ff25e7f5057c68c47.png 919 Forged 4i-PW w/ Dynamic Gold 105 S300 

WEDGES PING.png Glide Forged Pro w/ ZZ115 W 50*/58*

PUTTER Cleveland.jpg FRONTLINE 8.0 w/ 35" Slant neck 3*

For me, I prefer the Golf Pride MCC+4 Standard.  Have average size sweaty hands, especially during the late (humid) summer.  I re-grip during the winter since there's not much else to do until the weather starts to break and courses reopen in spring.  

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FW: 3HL Callaway Paradym

FW: 5 Callaway Mavrik

Hybird: Rogue ST 5

Irons: Paradym X 6-AW, UST Dart 75g

Wedges: Vokey TM9, 52F, 58S

Putter: Odessey OG 

Callaway Chromesoft or Titleist Tour Speed

I typically only wear a glove if it is really humid and I can't get my hands to stop sweating; as a result, I've always been a fan of the Tour Velvet Full Cord grips by Golf Pride.  When getting fit for my most recent set of irons/clubs, I was able to try the Golf Pride Z Cords...and they are incredible for me.  I like a firm rubber grip and the full cord on these is exactly what I needed, especially without a glove.  I like installing them logo up and I use that to help with my alignment and face position. I'm not a fan of the "ribbed" align grips.  Its not something that appeals to me, but I can see how others would find it useful.

"In victory, you deserve champagne.  In defeat, you need it."

• Driver - Callaway Paradym 10.5, Diamana TB 60 S
  • 5-Wood - TaylorMade RBZ Tour 18, Matix Ozik XCON-7 S
  • 4i - PW - Ping i230, KBS Tour V stiff
  • Wedges - Titleist Vokey SM9, 50.08 F, 54.12 D, 60.04 T, KBS Tour V stiff
  • Putter - Titleist Cameron Newport, oilcan finish, 34", baby-T grip
  • All Grips - Golf Pride Z Grip Cord
  • Ball - Titleist Pro V1

I started changing my own grips a couple seasons ago… it’s not difficult and the equipment needed is readily available on Amazon.

been playing around with the Lamkin range. Just installed their UTX green grips on my wedges and really like the feel. But it is very personal. Maybe just change a couple of clubs out with different grips to try out instead of fully committing to 7-10 new grips.

might be a fun way figure out what you like/ need for you conditions in Dallas.

Driver -  Titleist TSR3, 8 degrees

5 Wood - Titleist TSR2, 18 degrees

Hybrid -    Titleist 910H, 18 degrees

Irons 3-5  :wilson_staff_small:  C300 forged 

Irons 6-PW  :wilson_staff_small:  FG Tour V6

52, 58 degree Mizuno T22 Denim Copper finish

Putter - Evenroll ER5 35"

Preferred ball:  Maxfli Tour

It’s all based on feel. I usually use my grips until they feel slick. If I don’t feel confident that I can hold the club when I swing, I need to change the grip. That means my driver gets changed most (usually once a year). Wedges are changed next most because I like to practice chipping. 

As for selecting grips, go feel them! It’s the best thing you can do. I love Golf Pride grips in midsize. It’s critical to have the appropriate thickness of grips. If a buddy has a grip that interests you, as to swing the club so you can feel it. There is no right answer. 

Good luck and keep playing!