*Opinion: New Titleist Drivers, Ugly or New thing of Beauty?

On 7/5/2024 at 9:06 AM, HikingMike said:

Man I went 5 pages before I saw anyone comment on how deep/tall this thing looks. Is it deep/tall... or is it narrow left-to-right? Something's going on there, seems like a fairly big change from TSR, and a departure from other brands.

gt4-4.jpg?width=1280

I like the sole just fine. It is fairly simple and clean, so maybe the simplicity is a turn off for some. But their TSR line also has a fairly simple sole design. It could be seen as too much color compared to the TSR... maybe less classy with the text in the middle. Who really cares though, this is nitpicky stuff.

As for the glossy top, I guess I have played both glossy and matte, and I probably prefer matte, but no big deal.

So it looks like the GT3 has a movable weight system that is internal. That's kind of nice. The frosted clear plastic window on the sole could be a turnoff.

gt4-6.jpg?width=1280

Hmm, made me think of something.

1000_F_247872172_zn8apQqEsp21kv7zRAGvkjs

Good job on the fish kiss photo.

#1  PXG 0211 10.5 deg, Evnflo Riptide CB 40 gram A flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr,  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram A flex.

5W : Titleist TSi 1,    Aldila Ascent 40 regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC Fli-Hi 3i 18 degree, Recoil 95 reg flex.

4 iron:  GFF Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree forged hollow body,  Aerotech Steelfiber 😍😃💥.

5 Hybrid: Mizuno (2017) JPX Fli-Hi wave tech, Recoil ESX 460 reg flex.

Irons: 6 - PW: Ping I 500, on Recoil Smacwrap ES 760, reg flex.

Wedges: 2 x Mizuno S5 52/09.  1@ 50 deg, 1@ 54 deg; New (July 2024) Mizu ES 21, 58 x 08, jet black.

Chipper: Don Martin "Up n In" brass/bronze. 🙂

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, with 2 piece Stroke Lab multi material shaft.🙃💘

As looks go, the Taylor IQ score 101 Dalmations face wins.  These new Titleists are ok, the tops are too glossy.  But looks are not performance.  I think my driver, the 2021 original (non adjustable) PXG 0211 driver is drab.  Some comments I've seen like the looks a lot.  I'm still learning to hit it well, no regrets to buying it.  For some unknown reason I love the look upon address of the old Callaway Big Bertha 454 Ti.  It suits me and I hit it well.  So now I have 3 (11deg, 10 deg, 10 deg near mint condition, all on the standard RCH 65 red regular flex shaft).  So it splits time with the PXG.  It looks good.  Great distance. But I think it sprays more dispersion.

#1  PXG 0211 10.5 deg, Evnflo Riptide CB 40 gram A flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr,  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram A flex.

5W : Titleist TSi 1,    Aldila Ascent 40 regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC Fli-Hi 3i 18 degree, Recoil 95 reg flex.

4 iron:  GFF Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree forged hollow body,  Aerotech Steelfiber 😍😃💥.

5 Hybrid: Mizuno (2017) JPX Fli-Hi wave tech, Recoil ESX 460 reg flex.

Irons: 6 - PW: Ping I 500, on Recoil Smacwrap ES 760, reg flex.

Wedges: 2 x Mizuno S5 52/09.  1@ 50 deg, 1@ 54 deg; New (July 2024) Mizu ES 21, 58 x 08, jet black.

Chipper: Don Martin "Up n In" brass/bronze. 🙂

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, with 2 piece Stroke Lab multi material shaft.🙃💘

• 2 weeks later...

For the most part, I am almost never focused on looks of a club. Although white crowns were close to being excessive. Ever notice how with a quick glance from behind an E350 and a Honda Accord they resemble each other?  All because of aerodynamics. What Titleist found was the TSi was creating turbulence with the design on the base. Expect that bottoms will continue to minimize appearance to improve aerodynamics. When any new release of any driver hopes to gain 0.3 mph head speed, looks are secondary to any performance they can tweak. 

Titleist TSR 11 degree, HZRDS Red R 44.75 LH

Titleist TSR-1 5/7 Woods LH

Titleist TSR-1 23 Hybrid LH

Titleist T200  7-48 - T350 6 Tensai AMT Red LH

Titleist SM9 50-54-58 TT AMT Red LH

Scotty Phantom X 7.5 RH

I think the GT looks fine, just like most other Titleist drivers. In the past I hit other drivers better so it wasn't really my cup of tea, but I have always liked the looks. In a fitting a couple 4 or so years ago, I was handed one of the Ping drivers with the Turbulators, I couldn't pull the trigger with it, it was so ugly and distracting to me and most stuff doesn't really bother me but those do, for some reason I couldn't line my ball up in the center of the face. I hit the G425 I think at some point and it was ok, but nothing special.

I do want to hit the GT though and see how it compares with my Rogue ST Max LS.

I just tested the GT2 this morning.   Look is great but performance is off the charts.  Biggest gain in distance with more height and lower spin than any other Titleist driver I have had.   After 3 swings it was obvious that this new club will add distance and forgiveness.   I averaged 8 yard more carry and 12 more in total distance!!!!

Same, couldn’t believe I was gaining 15-20 yards in total. This wasn’t on sim either. I always felt like my dispersion was much tighter with the TSR3, but was surprised at the increase in distance with the GT with similar tight dispersion. 

What was more shocking for me was that I thought it wouldn’t ship until September since it’s not live yet. Fitter told me I should have it in 2 weeks.

2 hours ago, BradM said:

Same, couldn’t believe I was gaining 15-20 yards in total. This wasn’t on sim either. I always felt like my dispersion was much tighter with the TSR3, but was surprised at the increase in distance with the GT with similar tight dispersion. 

What was more shocking for me was that I thought it wouldn’t ship until September since it’s not live yet. Fitter told me I should have it in 2 weeks.

that is awesome.  i am looking to get one myself. hit em well.

WITB

Cobra Radspeed 10.5 driver

Cobra 3 wood

Nickent hybrid

PXG 0311 3-PW 

Cleveland zip core wedges 52,56,60

Odyssey/Goodwood  putters-models works 7 for odyssey and Goodwood custom putters switch out from time to time.

I have a fitting scheduled for the first week of August. Looking forward to seeing how the GT compares to my TSR2. 

Driver -  Titleist TSR2 10°

3W -  TaylorMade SIM2 15° 

5W - Titleist TSR2 18°

Irons -  6-9 Mizuno JPX923 Hot Metal Pro

Wedges -  Vokey SM9 48°, 52°, 56°, 60°, WedgeWorks 64° 

Putter -  Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

Ball -  Titleist ProV1

7 minutes ago, pantleggs said:

I have a fitting scheduled for the first week of August. Looking forward to seeing how the GT compares to my TSR2. 

Have fun. The natural skepticism I have was that it was the balls or the Trackman that gave me such impressive gains….hell even the dog track range we were on could have given me better totals…but we did change shafts and I’ll be optimistic I can now bomb it much farther!

13 hours ago, Javs said:

They still look like a Titleist to me. That said, I would put anything in play that improves my game. I try not to get hung up on the club’s looks. 

Don’t mess with success… the TSR was great, so minor changes are called for.  Glad to see the look at address remains roughly the same.  Better performance on mishits is likely the story with the GT.

:titelist-small:  TSR 3  9.0  Autoflex 405x - Official Tester 2024

:titelist-small:  TSi 3  15.0 GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:ping-small: Utility 2 Iron 18.0 - Nippon NS Pro 650GH Stiff /  :titelist-small: TS3  21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff

:Takomo:  4 - 9 101T Irons - KBS Tour Lite Stiff - Official Tester 2023

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 46 F - 10 BV105 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 52 F - 12 Nippon NS Pro 950 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey Forged (Japan) 56 M - 10  DG S200

:taylormade-small: MG3 60 - 12 - Nippon NS Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff

image.gif.2bc8a27613a423a3721fd3b955802132.gif  Champions Choice Newport 2+ Button Back - 35”  /  Pistolini Plus

:srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

:titelist-small: Players 4 bag  image.png.939559f85230fe16347ecf2765438915.png    :redrooster:

:Arccos: Official Tester - 2021 & Current Club Sensor User

• 3 weeks later...

That” look” is their brand.  Ping drivers have a certain “look”, some people enjoy it, and some people don’t. Cleveland drivers have a certain “sound”. I’m not sure that either would stop me from playing a driver, if I hit it well. 
I know a few of my friends who have become somewhat of a brand snob; or they chose to play a club based on the looks and not what’s really the best fit for there capabilities on the golf course. 

Manny C 

1 hour ago, mannyc said:

That” look” is their brand.  Ping drivers have a certain “look”, some people enjoy it, and some people don’t. Cleveland drivers have a certain “sound”. I’m not sure that either would stop me from playing a driver, if I hit it well. 
I know a few of my friends who have become somewhat of a brand snob; or they chose to play a club based on the looks and not what’s really the best fit for there capabilities on the golf course. 

Sometimes, however, loving the look and sound of your clubs can remove distractions from your game.

I agree, Titleist drivers have looked similar for at least the last four models - TS, TSI, TSR, and now GT.   Titleist drivers have a minimalist look to them and that's fine.  Generally my interest is on performance, not looks.  If it makes me better or addresses a weakness I'll play it.  When I hit it on the button and the ball soars straight down the middle of the fairway, now that's beautiful!

-XY

:redrooster: Sussex and Rain Rooster
:titleist-small: ProV1X
:taylormade-small: QI10 LS
:callaway-small: Epic Flash 3-wood
:taylormade-small: 4H Stealth 2, stiff
:ping-small: i525, 6 - W, 1 degree flat, ProjectX 5.5 110 g shafts
:vokey-small: SM10 52, 56, 60
:L.A.B.: DF3 Broomstick
:ping-small: Ping Pioneer Cart Bag
MGI electric cart

• 3 weeks later...

Played one round with the GT4 in the bag now, and I have to say, while the flight was lower than I remember, the thing hits some monster bombs.

Flat ground, almost zero for wind, and rolled one out 307, several 280+, and of those, the most I missed the fairway by was literally 8"

SUPER impressed at this (VERY) early stage, but it is definitely a nice base to build off!
Round two is tonight, see how things go with a practice session under my belt now as well.

we got a pool and a pond... the pond would be good for you

On 6/4/2024 at 3:12 PM, CB Lobo 4 Life said:

The one thing (Outside the new TM driver) I have been waiting for the most this year was to hear about/see the new Titleist drivers. I gamed and still do on occasion the TSR3 and I absolutely love it! So, in my excitement, I heard yesterday Titleist released their newest model on tour. Imagine my shock when, at first appearance, I could not help but feel dismayed. The looks to me are nothing short of bland...I can't give a full description as to why, but I do not like the weird matte-glossy look. The classic design Titleist has kept to in the past has given way to a contemporary mashup of Cobra matte finishes mixed with Callaway's love of gloss, and needless to say, I am not a fan. 

I do not doubt that the performance is phenomenal. Will I be honest and say I will also try it out when released to the public? Yes, I most certainly will. However, I can't overcome how much I dislike the new look. Sure, Titleist probably does not care about some dude in northern AZ's opinion, but I am troubled that the release I have been most looking for has left me nothing short of deflated. 

Let me know what you all think. If you have yet to see the models that have been released, see the link below. 

https://golf.com/gear/drivers/titleist-gt-drivers-memorial-tournament/

Personally feel like LOOKS are extremely important to an extent. If one product is EQUAL in the results it produces, looks and personal feel could overshadow one over the other. 

I personally feel it should NEVER be the reason you choose something if it doesn't produce the results you need/want. 

:callaway-small:Driver: Ai SmokeTriple Diamond

:ping-small: G425 MAX 12* w/ 3 Wood shaft

:srixon-small: Utility 3 Iron

:srixon-small:Irons: Srixon ZX7

:titleist-small:Wedges:  SM10 50* 54* F Grinds and SM9 58* M Grind

:EVNROLL:Putter: Evnroll EV5

:titleist-small: GolfBall: 2023 ProV1