Hot Takes!

Didn’t see a thread on this and will keep this open as long as we stay civil. 

What’s your golf “hot take”?

Here are a couple of mine

NEVER take swing advice online from someone that won’t show you their own swing!  

Shafts can’t affect dynamic loft without affecting other factors such as directional ball flight. 

Shafts are more than just a fine tuning component. 

Golfers can wear whatever they want

Music on course is better than having to hear others scream when they make a 5’ par putt!

What is in my Ghost MGS anyday Maverick or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:   Callaway Smoke AI TD Max 8.5* with an Aretera Alpha One Blue 55/4 shaft @ 44.75” or GD VF 5s @45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

:titleist-small: TSR2 7 wood shaft TBD

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :taylormade-small: P790 Aged Copper 4-PW with Steelfiber I95 R

Wedges:    :mizuno-small: T22 copper 50* and 54* with Steelfiber 95 S

Putter: :cameron-small: 2024 Phantom 5.5 @ 34”

Maybe more like a lukewarm take but I would rather play with a bad player who takes 10 shots a hole and goes a little slow than with a great player who’s pissed off at every tiny mistake and rushes through the round because he’s mad that he’s not going low today.

SJ

10 minutes ago, Jakesy35 said:

Maybe more like a lukewarm take but I would rather play with a bad player who takes 10 shots a hole and goes a little slow than with a great player who’s pissed off at every tiny mistake and rushes through the round because he’s mad that he’s not going low today.

Don’t blame ya there. I’d also rather play with someone just looking to enjoy themselves. Unless it’s a tourney I see no reason to worry about every little thing and that includes the time it takes to play the round. 

Driver:   Callaway Smoke AI TD Max 8.5* with an Aretera Alpha One Blue 55/4 shaft @ 44.75” or GD VF 5s @45”

51 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Why does how someone else swings influence their ability to teach?  Does the swing have to look a specific way for you to take their advice?  You could even be better than the instructor;  the PAT requires that the person shoots equal to or lower than the course rating for 36 holes + 15 strokes.

My hot take:  Just because someone is a professional golfer (plays golf for a living) doesn't mean they can explain what they do or even teach an aspect of golf.  

Is there anything in my take that said they had to be good?

I was getting at this,  If they aren’t willing to show you a video of them demonstrating the proper technique they are trying to teach you, then why take their advice. They can’t teach themselves. 

1 minute ago, GolfSpy_BNG said:

Is there anything in my take that said they had to be good?  If they aren’t willing to show you a video of them demonstrating the proper technique they are trying to teach you, then why take their advice. They can’t teach themselves

Perhaps they are physically unable to perform a demonstration.   If we start getting into online lessons you take probably has more merit but for a live lesson they can move you into proper positions.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 minute ago, cnosil said:

Perhaps they are physically unable to perform a demonstration.   If we start getting into online lessons you take probably has more merit but for a live lesson they can move you into proper positions.  

And that is exactly what my take said.  Advice online.   And it’s even more of a fact for me when it isn’t an actually teacher/coach. 

Don't be ashamed to play it forward if you can't hit it long. Listen, I have as much man pride as the next guy but if I can't keep up with my playing partners as far as distance, I'll move up a set. I played the forward tees at RNK and it didn't bother me a bit. It's all about getting out and enjoying the round. 

See also: we need to remove the stigma around moving up a set of two. 

My Hot Take is.  
I hate all opinion i see often online——unless you are a single digit handicap you should spend money on Lessons not getting fit for clubs. 

First a good fitting migjt sctually benefit a higher handicap more fhan a single digit.  

Two who says you can’t so both. The misguided advice often just assumes they aren’t already or going to take lessons 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

34 minutes ago, GolfSpy_BNG said:

And that is exactly what my take said.  Advice online.   And it’s even more of a fact for me when it isn’t an actually teacher/coach. 

So we will go down the online route.   What it they showed you another player doing what they wanted you to do, were able to demonstrate the postions, or if the lesson was done online but live and you were able to communicate directly and they told you what to do?    Why does the instructors swing matter?

Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

9 hours ago, cnosil said:

So we will go down the online route.   What it they showed you another player doing what they wanted you to do, were able to demonstrate the postions, or if the lesson was done online but live and you were able to communicate directly and they told you what to do?    Why does the instructors swing matter?

Let’s use your example of physically unable to perform the swing. If that’s the case then perhaps but still a long shot for me.  Would need great references imo

Othewise I stand by my statement that if they can’t show you a video of their swing demonstrating what they want you to do, then they can’t teach themselves the technique so they have no right to try to teach you that technique. 

33 minutes ago, GolfSpy_BNG said:

Let’s use your example of physically unable to perform the swing. If that’s the case then perhaps but still a long shot for me.  Would need great references imo

Othewise I stand by my statement that if they can’t show you a video of their swing demonstrating what they want you to do, then they can’t teach themselves the technique so they have no right to try to teach you that technique. 

As a poor example of what @cnosil is saying, I can tell you how the wrist hinge is supposed look but cant do it because of wrist and thumb injuries.  If you ever play with a lady that is a former field hockey player it is easy to spot that swing influence!  But i dont offer lessons ever or generally even swing advice unless it is a beginner asking about basics.

I love your takes in the first post about shafts!  😍

I think tees played should be based more on ability and driving distance than just age.  

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex; :callaway-logo-1: Mavrik 18* 5w;  :mizuno-small: JPX 919 HM Pro 4i;  :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

Golfers who don't fix divots, repair ball marks or rake traps should be banned or forced to repair all across the course.....  

Titleist GT3 11* Tensei 1k blue

Titleist TSR2 4w 16*

Titleist TSR2 5w 18.75*

MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

Vokey SM9 Wedges 50* 54* 58*

DF2.1 Putter

2 hours ago, Shapotomous said:

As a poor example of what @cnosil is saying, I can tell you how the wrist hinge is supposed look but cant do it because of wrist and thumb injuries.  If you ever play with a lady that is a former field hockey player it is easy to spot that swing influence!  But i dont offer lessons ever or generally even swing advice unless it is a beginner asking about basics.

I love your takes in the first post about shafts!  😍

I think tees played should be based more on ability and driving distance than just age.  

I get injuries can prohibit certain things.  I’ll take it a step forward to help clarify. I’m not talking about seeking out swing advice from someone you know to be an instructor with references. I’m talking about listening to advice from people you don’t know from Adam that can’t show you how to do what they are telling you to do.  For all you know it could be a guy that hasn’t touch a golf club in his life.  Anyone can pick and choose advice off the internet and pass it off as their own. Thus my take on seeing them demonstrate it. 

14 hours ago, cnosil said:

There is at least one person on wrx who has an injury that prevents him from golfing anymore and has good swing advice. Ignoring his advice because he can’t show it is kind of silly 

21 hours ago, GolfSpy_BNG said:

Shafts are more than just a fine tuning component. 

This is nearly a burning tale because any good to great fitters with years and years of experience and collecting data have shown it’s not as important as most golfers think it is or want it to be.

One can either read the data and information from those fitters and learn or they can continue to believe in ideas based off feelings.

Wishon and Tutleman are two fitters who have written about the shaft for years. They have published information as well.

Most Americans aren’t familiar with Howard Jones but he is another one 

What’s this opinion based on? Thousands of fittings you have done for other golfers? Hundred and hundreds of hours collecting data from those fittings or all those hours getting data from your swing and testing shaft after shaft with your swing? Or just how you feel?

Edited by RickyBobby_PR

So wait I say shafts are more important than just a fine tuning instrument and I need to give experience on a controversial hot take, but me wanting to see someone demonstrate a technique they are trying to teach is wrong?  

Hot takes fellas. They are just opinions. 

7 hours ago, GolfSpy_BNG said:

I’m not talking about seeking out swing advice from someone you know to be an instructor with references. I’m talking about listening to advice from people you don’t know from Adam that can’t show you how to do what they are telling you to do.  For all you know it could be a guy that hasn’t touch a golf club in his life.  Anyone can pick and choose advice off the internet and pass it off as their own. Thus my take on seeing them demonstrate it. 

That is a different clarification by saying it can be an known instructor with references.   Even if someone can demonstrate,  that still doesn't make it correct.  I follow an instructor that does a lot of critique on why other instructors are providing poor instruction even though they have good references and can demonstrate.

2 minutes ago, GolfSpy_BNG said:

hot takes fellas. They are just opinions. 

Hot Take:  a piece of writing or speech, especially on the internet, giving someone's personal opinions about a topic, usually strong opinions that have not been carefully thought about and that many people are likely to disagree with.   By definition they are opinions,  but they are done to created conversations.  

4 minutes ago, cnosil said:

That is a different clarification by saying it can be a known instructor with references.   Even if someone can demonstrate,  that still doesn't make it correct.  I follow an instructor that does a lot of critique on why other instructors are providing poor instruction even though they have good references and can demonstrate.

The clarification is that you are seeking the advice out from that specific instructor. Not just some guy that comes along with references and starts giving advice.  Again if you seek them out then you have some sort of confidence in them.  Whether by what you see them do or what others have said about them. 

One of my hot takes...

Players who get agitated and mad at those in front of them who are maintaining a proper pace, but it's not at THEIR pace. 

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

The hot take I hear a lot this year. “10K MOI drivers are the best drivers ever.”  Not sure I would be able to say that….

:titelist-small:  TSR 3  9.0  Autoflex 405x - Official Tester 2024

:titelist-small:  TSi 3  15.0 GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:ping-small: Utility 2 Iron 18.0 - Nippon NS Pro 650GH Stiff /  :titelist-small: TS3  21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff

:Takomo:  4 - 9 101T Irons - KBS Tour Lite Stiff - Official Tester 2023

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 46 F - 10 BV105 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 52 F - 12 Nippon NS Pro 950 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey Forged (Japan) 56 M - 10  DG S200

:taylormade-small: MG3 60 - 12 - Nippon NS Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff

image.gif.2bc8a27613a423a3721fd3b955802132.gif  Champions Choice Newport 2+ Button Back - 35”  /  Pistolini Plus

:srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

:titelist-small: Players 4 bag  image.png.939559f85230fe16347ecf2765438915.png    :redrooster:

:Arccos: Official Tester - 2021 & Current Club Sensor User

14 hours ago, Josh Parker said:

Golfers who don't fix divots, repair ball marks or rake traps should be banned or forced to repair all across the course.....  

Totally agree with this. Its more of being hot than a hot take. I hate, HATE when people have zero courtesy to others or even attempt to rake a bunker. You none bunker raking fools should be banned and have to pay everyone's bar tab.

Sub 70 949 D 9* HZRUDS 60G 6.5 smoke RDX shaft. 

Sub 70 949X 4 wood ALDILA ABV 65-S shaft

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW 

Sub 70 3 utility 19*

Callaway 56 and 58 wedge. 

OG White Hot #1 putter

14 hours ago, GolfSpy_BNG said:

So wait I say shafts are more important than just a fine tuning instrument and I need to give experience on a controversial hot take, but me wanting to see someone demonstrate a technique they are trying to teach is wrong?  

Hot takes fellas. They are just opinions. 

Most rational people change their opinions when there is data that shows their opinion to be a bad one.

also do we not want the readers of the forum both members and guess to have the proper information?  when an opinion is posted that is contrary to any type of data or statements from the experts in a particular field do we not want the poster to explain why they believe different from the experts? 

or is mgs forum just to post opinions and not have them questioned or debated as part of conversation on a topic?

Hopefully it’s not the last part. I know if I see someone’s opinion questioned by others and I’m curious to see why and hear both sides 

Edited by RickyBobby_PR

Search enough and one can find data to support any argument they want to make on one side or another. It then comes down to who they trust the most in terms of data validation, which again can be subjective. 

Why do we always circle around the same topics with these threads?

Let's try someone just a bit fresh, have some fun with the debate and enjoy the conversation versus making it to the same exact argument that has been happening with all the shaft threads recently.

It is okay for people to have opinions/takes/other experiences then those of others. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

On 7/27/2024 at 4:32 PM, GolfSpy_BNG said:

Music on course is better than having to hear others scream when they make a 5’ par putt!

Our comment when we hear somebody yell on a nearby green when making a putt... (especially in a scramble tourney)

Somebody just made a great save for a double!  😆

My hot take for the morning.....Let's see if this ages well!  🫣

Much like DJ, Koepka, Rahm, etc.....  Scottie, Xander, Bryson and 'fill in the blank' will fade after their relatively short hot streak and the next hot player take their place.

Edited by Shapotomous

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex; :callaway-logo-1: Mavrik 18* 5w;  :mizuno-small: JPX 919 HM Pro 4i;  :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

32 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Why do we always circle around the same topics with these threads?

Because they are the topics that generate contrasting opinions.  Any discussion about distance switches to loft jacking,  any topic about shafts goes into non standard OEM labels,  etc.    hot takes by definition are the topics that have contrasting opinions.  

Hot take #34 

Showing up at a tee time right at the mark, and then asking the starter to wait a few minutes for your playing partner who ran back to their vehicle.

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.