Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Star Putter - REVIEW

Matt Saternus

The Star Putter - REVIEW

DSC_2058.JPG

Introduction

The Star Putter is a straightforward putting trainer that is designed to help you align your putts better. The idea is to set up the Star Putter so that the stripe is aimed directly at the hole, then put your ball against the line and make some putts. Tim, Dave, and myself gave the Star Putter a try. Here are our thoughts:

DSC_2059.JPG

Positives:

*Price - Only $30. I think that at $30, the Star Putter is a decent buy, but Tim was less impressed. He said that he'd prefer to set up a chalk line or something of that nature.

*Ease of Use - There's no set-up outside of aiming it correctly at the hole, and it stays in place very well. You can hit the same putt until you're blue in the face without worrying about the Star Putter moving. It's also faster to set up, and easier to adjust, than a chalk line.

*Portability - The Star Putter is small and can easily live in your golf bag.

*Addresses an Important Element of Putting - No one can argue that alignment isn't key to good putting. There's also the benefit of learning to read greens better and the psychological benefit of seeing lots of putts go in.

DSC_2060.JPG

Negatives:

*Rough surface - Dave immediately said that he wouldn't be taking his best putters anywhere near it. There is a small "lip" of paint on either side of the stripe that feels like it much scratch or scuff a putter if it were dragged across there. Obviously, no one putts with the intention of dragging the putter across the green, but it does happen. For those who are crazy about their putters, this might be a significant point.

*Pointy - The point of the star that holds the Star Putter in the ground is sharp. Not razor sharp, but sharp enough that I'd be concerned about it poking a hole in my golf bag.

*Can't be used indoors - Period. The Star Putter needs to be pushed into the green, which is pretty hard to do on carpeting or an indoor green. Even if you had the required Hulk-like strength, I'm not sure you'd want to punch a big hole in your floor.

DSC_2061.JPG

Conclusion:

Collectively, we give the Star Putter a B. The price is about right and it addresses an important aspect of putting: alignment. Unfortunately, it can't be used indoors and there are lots of other things that can be used instead (tees, chalk line, plumb line, etc) that cost little to nothing.

Visit their website: HERE

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

You're saying that $30 seems like a reasonable price for a bent and painted piece of metal? There's more technology and production cost in your average divot tool and some places give those away on the first tee.

I guess I shouldn't say anything, retired ninjas gotta do something with their gear!

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

I find this one a little weird. My first thought was the same as Tyk- $30 for painted metal? And why a star? Why not, I guess. Maybe to better justify the $30. And how much can this small alignment aid really help? meh

PING i20 8.5*, TFC707D (S)
Callaway RAZR Fit 15*, neutral setting, stock shaft (S)
PING i20 20*, TFC707H (S)
Adams Pro a12 23*, Matrix Ozik Altus (S)
PING i20 5-PW, TT DG S300, 1.5* flat (purple dot)
SCOR 50*,54*,58*, Genius 12 KBS Tour (S), 1.5* flat, -1/4"
STX xForm 3, 35"

A beer can and a pair of tin snips and you can make your own. Buy a six pack make your own and have a party and sell the 5 extra and make money, unless you cut yourself and end up needing stitches.:P

You could also use a credit card or drivers license. And have $30 to pay on the credit card bill.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

This kind of reductionist thinking doesn't do anything for me; we can break anything down into its component parts and make it sound ridiculous.

I'm not real high on the Star Putter, there are better putting aids, but if having it will cause people to work on their alignment then it's worth more than $30. As I said, you can do similar things with tees, string, chalk lines, etc...I just haven't seen ANYONE doing them at any practice green I've been to.

I wonder about all putting aids. other than an actual putting green. I do have and use a 7' roll up putting green.

Most of the others are rediculous. It is not like you can pull this out during a round and place it down. It is not like they do not have putters with arrows and/or two or more balls and/or lines and/or flanges and all kinds of alignment aids already built onto the putter. You can use a coin or a tee or all manner of things that are already in your bag. You can lay the flag stick down and use it as a straight edge when practicing. You have 13 (or 30 depending on if you pay attention to the rules) other clubs in your bag you can use rather than paying $30 for some rediculous aluminum star.

None of which you can use during a round, so if you become dependant on them in practice how does this help during a game.

The only other thing I have ever used is the iPing app. That I initially downloaded just to see what it was about and am very impressed with it. It at least tells you if you club face was open, your tempo was off, or you are inconsistent or many different things. I downloaded it for free and made my own bracket, although I will probably buy a bracket next time I am where they sell them.

I wonder about all putting aids. other than an actual putting green. I do have and use a 7' roll up putting green.

Most of the others are rediculous. It is not like you can pull this out during a round and place it down. It is not like they do not have putters with arrows and/or two or more balls and/or lines and/or flanges and all kinds of alignment aids already built onto the putter. You can use a coin or a tee or all manner of things that are already in your bag. You can lay the flag stick down and use it as a straight edge when practicing. You have 13 (or 30 depending on if you pay attention to the rules) other clubs in your bag you can use rather than paying $30 for some rediculous aluminum star.

None of which you can use during a round, so if you become dependant on them in practice how does this help during a game.

The only other thing I have ever used is the iPing app. That I initially downloaded just to see what it was about and am very impressed with it. It at least tells you if you club face was open, your tempo was off, or you are inconsistent or many different things. I downloaded it for free and made my own bracket, although I will probably buy a bracket next time I am where they sell them.

So, based on the idea that you can't use them during the round, are you opposed to all manner of training aids?

I think the reason I like this more than most (I was definitely the spy who liked this best, I think it would have been in C/D territory without my vote) is that EVERY SINGLE PERSON I TEACH lines up badly (...before I fix them), and while you can get away with it to varying extents on the tee shot or approach shot, the margin for error on the green is too small.

So, based on the idea that you can't use them during the round, are you opposed to all manner of training aids?

I think the reason I like this more than most (I was definitely the spy who liked this best, I think it would have been in C/D territory without my vote) is that EVERY SINGLE PERSON I TEACH lines up badly (...before I fix them), and while you can get away with it to varying extents on the tee shot or approach shot, the margin for error on the green is too small.

No, I am opposed to spending $30 on a training aid when I can lay a club down on the ground parallel to my line of putt, just like I have seen done hundreds of times clubs on the driving range. It also works on the putting green.

I am also opposed to spending $7.99 for some stupid alignment stakes, although sticking something in the ground to check the shaft plane does seem like a good idea. Which is why I had to steal them from manbearpig's golf bag. Not really, but I would do like he did and spend $1.50 at the Home Depot for driveway markers.

I am not questioning the need for proper alignments but the purchasing of extra paraphernalia and especially the advocating buying more stuff when there are cheaper ways. I would never argue that someone should not pay you to teach them better, just argue that after paying you, you say buy this. Unless it is your store, then it is free enterprise.

If I'm struggling I'll get out the chalk line, and I toss a club down on the range first thing, so I'm all in favor of alignment aids.

I know you guys don't like giving "value" opinions and that's fine, but when I see $30 for this piece of . . .art? I just have to shake my head and wish them good luck. $30, some scratches on my putter and a hole in my $180 golf bag in one package? What a bargain, thanks! Keep it real please. If we can't make fun of this little trinket then what has the world come to? :blink:

Actually though Rick, I believe you could use this as a ball marker on the putting green if you wanted to. Not during your stroke of course!

I think I've given the wrong impression in my comments. Could be related to having a 6 month old screaming at me all day. I'll try again:

I don't think this is the best training aid by a long shot. I don't think it's necessarily "compelling," either.

I do think it addresses what I might consider the #1 (at least chronologically) error that I see in people's putting: bad alignment. If the regular commenters are already working on their alignment, then that's awesome and I applaud you, you're in the distinct minority.

One thing I do like about the Star Putter that can't be replicated with sticks or clubs is that it helps you align the putter face. I've seen plenty of guys set up their feet nice and square, then aim the putter somewhere wacky.

On a totally separate observational note: it seems funny to me that we only end up discussing the aids you guys don't like. I guess there isn't as much to say about the stuff you like.

Actually though Rick, I believe you could use this as a ball marker on the putting green if you wanted to. Not during your stroke of course!

You can use a can of beer as a ball marker if you want to. Just replace your ball before you pick it up to take another drink.:P

Many ball markers, especially the plastic ones, have a little probe (? is that the word?) on the bottom of them that you push into the ground. These leave a small hole in the green. If you mark your ball with one of these and place it infront of your ball, which is legal but not traditional, and then line your ball up with the center of the ball mark, when you pick up your marker you have a hole in the green that you can use to help line up the putter.

As far as the legality of this, well on one hand it is a legal ball marker and legal to mark your ball infront of the ball as long as you replace it that way. On the other hand, you cannot touch the line of the putt and cannot mark your line in anyway. If you have to resort to this you probably have more problems than you will fix by doing it.

Personally, I have some of those markers but do not use them. I use a magnetic cap marker or Bulgarian coin or a Euro. I also do not use a line on the ball and rarely even pick a spot in front of the ball. When I do this I tend to get too focused on the spot and not the hole. I pick my line and set up and focus on getting the ball to the hole.

For the most you three putt because you are 5 feet short or 5 feet long. Focus on the speed first. A great putt can miss the hole for a number of reasons but still leaves a tap in.

(Watch a replay of the putt of Weaver on 18 to win the 2012 US Amatuer Sunday. From 4 feet it is rolling perfectly to the dead center until it is less than a foot out and jumped a 3 inches left and he missed. He was halfway to a fist pump when it jumped and was devistated. Lost the first hole of the playoff, by using driver off the tee but that is another story.)

I'm really not trying to bust your balls Matt! Nothing at all wrong with your review. In fact, it is what you said that led me to a negative opinion about the Star even though you arrived at a more positive conclusion. Fact is, you have seen and used the thing so you know more about it than I do.

The other bad thing about this aid is that you can't toss them out like candy at the next golf parade! B)

The other bad thing about this aid is that you can't toss them out like candy at the next golf parade! B)

No but if someone in the group behind you is hitting into your group, you can throw a few out on the cart path and slow them down.:D

On a totally separate observational note: it seems funny to me that we only end up discussing the aids you guys don't like. I guess there isn't as much to say about the stuff you like.

Haha, I'm sure that's true and probably indicative of human nature. The review itself was definitely up to MGS standards though!

No but if someone in the group behind you is hitting into your group, you can throw a few out on the cart path and slow them down.:D

Further proof that ninjas are behind this idea!

Come on, man, that advice isn't applicable to MGSers...no slow players here! :lol:

I'd think of it as an offensive weapon: huck it at slow players in front of you. ;)

Come on, man, that advice isn't applicable to MGSers...no slow players here! :lol:

I was thinking that because the people in front of you are holding you up, but the people behind you are trying to rush you. This happened to me on Saturday, but in all honesty the people behind us were the people we were playing against, so they may not necessarily been trying to rush us as much as trying to cause physical injury. They were getting beat by 11 holes at the turn and they were plum bitter about the whole thing.

I'd think of it as an offensive weapon: huck it at slow players in front of you. ;)

I would be concerned about the aerodynamic effect of that bent point of the start, it may boomarang on you. That is why there are not many Austrailian Ninjas. :D

Archived