Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Ping and Kenny Perry's search.....

TWShoot67

Perry still seeking ideal putter

By Jennifer Gardner

GPA Equipment Editor

Kenny Perry refused to let his beloved Ping Craz-E putter die, but it may be on its last legs.

The putter hosel broke at the season-opening SBS Championship and, despite repairs, he has not been able to quite duplicate the feel of the original, which was given to him by a member of his home club, Bent Pines.

"(There's) a ball bearing down in the hosel, and the shaft goes over, that's what holds it, and I guess Paul Ardgarten, the gentleman that gave it to me ... I think he threw it in a lake or something, because the shaft rusted from the inside out," Perry said. "It broke around the ball bearing around that hosel."

Perry, who credited the Craz-E for several wins that helped him make the 2008 U.S. Ryder Cup squad, said he has tried about 15 similar putters, but hasn't found the right new one.

"Each head feels differently as the ball comes off the face. Some are a little hotter, some are a little softer," he said. "I don't know what that material is, that blue insert, they are different. And I can feel it and I can hear it. They sound different off the putter."

Perry said that Ping is re-shafting his old putter and will make two more copies for play at this week's Arnold Palmer Invitational.

Plus, Perry is trying other putters. TaylorMade reported it had built one of its new Vicino putters for him that was a little too open, but that he had found a model that was just 1 degree open. Perry has been testing that putter as well as his Craz-E putters.

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

• SPY VIP

This is kind of harsh on the quality control at PING. That much variation in the putter seems strange though. Maybe this is the OEM market specs vs. the ones for tour pros. isn't the Vicino the new spider version?

Yep it is.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

This is kind of harsh on the quality control at PING. That much variation in the putter seems strange though. Maybe this is the OEM market specs vs. the ones for tour pros. isn't the Vicino the new spider version?

Yep it is.

Ick, I hate the Vicino, and the Craz-E isn't much better. The story of how he got it and won with it is great though.

• SPY VIP

Ick, I hate the Vicino, and the Craz-E isn't much better. The story of how he got it and won with it is great though.

If the new spider works, great. I just want him to have a chance to make up for last year.

No wonder he finished behind Daly last weekend. I would be interested to see his putting stats...

Volvo Intorqueo

The Craz-E is an "interesting" putter design and I will just leave it at that (out of respect for my favorite brand).

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

• SPY VIP

The Craz-E is an "interesting" putter design and I will just leave it at that (out of respect for my favorite brand).

The design was solid enough to inspire a homage putter.

Rhymes with Zombie

Volvo Intorqueo

You guys have all seen the "motorcycle man" on the Craze-E, haven't you?

(turn your computer sideways, right side going up/left side down, and imagine a biker hunkered over his handlebars)

249_P_1249567720068.jpg

• SPY VIP

You guys have all seen the "motorcycle man" on the Craze-E, haven't you?

(turn your computer sideways, right side going up/left side down, and imagine a biker hunkered over his handlebars)

249_P_1249567720068.jpg

New to me, :lol: :lol: :lol:

:wacko:

Volvo Intorqueo

I've known people that have that putter and had never seen it until someone showed it to them....then they could never use it again because it was all they could see whenever they set the club down. :wacko:

You guys are mean. I love it. Ever done that during a money round against a guy gaming a Craz-E? That would be hilarious.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

• SPY VIP

You guys are mean. I love it. Ever done that during a money round against a guy gaming a Craz-E? That would be hilarious.

Make motorcycle revving sounds as they pull it from the bag and line it up...

Volvo Intorqueo

Make motorcycle revving sounds as they pull it from the bag and line it up...

And then don't tell him why right away ... haha, mental warfare.. I love it.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

• SPY VIP

And then don't tell him why right away ... haha, mental warfare.. I love it.

I putted around a bit with the iWi and iN Craz-e in the shop today. The iN even with the crazy holes was not too shabby. Weight on the iWi seemed off to me...

Kenny should try one of these and paint it blue if he needs to...

probably has tried one.

Volvo Intorqueo

• 9 months later...

I dont find that Kenny can sense a different "feel" unusual. A lot of us old school guys play by feel. I can tell you one thing for me I have an old Anser that I have had since 1974.

Nothing feels like that putter I have tried other putters even simular Ansers and nothing feels like that one. I have had my share of putting woes over the years and have switched but

I always go back to "old reliable" I dont want to make anyone mad but I have tried several

Scotty Newports and none of them has the feel to me of that old Anser. I guess that is one of

the quirky things about my golf game

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Archived