Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Mega's Bag

Putter: Rife Cayman with a 60 gram counterweight

Wedges: Scor 41, 45, 49, 53, 57, & 61 degrees all with 12 gram CWs except the 61 which has 20 grams

7 & 8 iron: Titleist AP1 with KBS Tour Shafts with 12 gram CWs

5 & 6 Hybrid: Cobra Baffler DWS with 12 gram CWs

4 hybrid: TM RBZ Tour, newer club need to install a CW

3HL (really a 4 wood): TM RBZ with Graffaloy Platinum with 12 gram CW, this one needs a new shaft

Driver: Cally Razr Fit, 9.5 degrees, Oban Devotion and UST VTS Silver Shafts

Winter or short course driver: SMT DB Plus, 12 degrees, with UST V2 shaft

Mega, that's a pretty odd set up. Interesting. I've been starring at your specs for a couple of minutes before I figured out your club set up. Probably because I started looking for irons that are not there. :D

Does this really work for you? Any particular reason for ditching the 9 iron by replacing it with a wedge?

6 wedges in total. Wauw!

Maybe you could post some photo's of the set.

Driver: Cleveland Classic 290 9.0 - Miyazaki C. Kua 43 (S)

Fw Wood: Maruman F3 Shuttle 15* - Roddio Pentacross W-5 BA (S)

Fw Wood: Tourstage 2008 ViQ 19* - Ns Pro GT700 (X)

Hybrid: Nakashima NX1 22* - Pured Fujikura TOUR SPEC Speeder 904HB (X)

Irons: Mizuno MP63 - Ns-Pro GH950 (S)

Wedge: Mizuno MP T-11 50* - Ns-Pro GH950 (S)

Wedges: Epon 210KGX 54*, 58* - Shimada Wedge shaft

Putter: Seemore DB4

Grips: Iomic & Lamkin

Bag: OnOff OB0010 Shingo Katayama limited Tour Bag

Bag: Adidas Japan Tour Bag

Ball: Nike Vapor

I play in enough wind that I was finding myself wanting to play half shots with longer clubs rather than a full swing trying to keep the ball flight low. A std 9 iron doesn't work as well with a half pitch as a wedge does. I hit my half 41*, my 9 iron, 100 yds and usually hit it tighter than my full 53* especially in the wind with biggest benefit being the cross wind and since the Scor is designed as a wedge I just find it superior for all lies. I will try and get some pix up. The gap between my 8 & 41* isn't perfect but it's close enough & from 41* to 61* which is 130 yds and in for me the gap, look, feel, etc is all very consistent since they are all Scor wedges...

Awesome set up. This is why I play blades. While they do not behave as good as a wedge might in those situations, the behave much better than a CB or especially a GI iron. I have a 1/4. 1/2. 3/4. Full and 120% shot. I only hit the 120% about once a year when I have to go over something and am going to lose the match if I do not and there are no other options. I know the distance with all my clubs. I have even practiced the 1/2 driver off the deck so that I have that shot if I need it.

Today, I hit a 1/2 9 iron instead of a 3/4 56* wedge. Since I was playing by myself I wanted to see if it was the right choice, with the 25 mph wind behind me, and the 56* carried off the back of the green from 90 yards and the 9 iron hit and stopped on the green 20 feet from the hole, On the next hole I hit a 3/4 3 Wood.

Yours is interesting and you have one more wedge than I would have had if I had decided to go that route. You sort of have two gap wedges but I love the idea, Then on the other end you have some very different hybrids, I really like it and it shows you gave this a lot of thought,

Show me pictures so I can lust after them.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

• 4 years later...

Time to update the bag, some things have changed but overall its more or less the same philosophy, of course this update misses at least a couple of in between set-ups since my original post in early 2013, sorry I never got any pictures up.

Putter: Edel Mid Mallet, counterbalanced
Wedges: Ben Hogan 49, 53, 57, & 61 degrees - removed all the CWs
7 through W: Ping i Series with Nippon Tour Modus 105 - removed all the CWs, just put the Ping 9 and W in the bag, was playing the BH 41 & 45
6 iron: Titliest AP1 with KBS Tour (just bought the Ping 6 iron but haven't used this on the range yet to see how I hit it)
4 & 5 hybrid: Cobra F6 set at 21.5* and 25*, just put these in the bag, using them for first time during tournament tomorrow
5W: Cobra Baffler
Driver: Cally GBB, 9.5 degrees, Fuji Pro 73
Short course driver: Sometimes I will pull out the driver and play the Cally 3Deep, either in 12.5 or 14.5 

Background:

While traveling on business did a Gears fitting at 2nd Swing in Minneapolis.

That's how I ended up with the Callaway Great Big Bertha and moving from AP1 with a tour weight shaft to the Ping i Series with the ligher weight Tour Modus. Average distance was about the same but dispersion on the Ping was tigher and the +/- on distance was tighter with the Ping as well. The only regret I have from that fitting is I forgot my stock shaft for my driver and ended up trading in the Oban Devotion with the old head, wasn't in a position to buy the driver outright.

Archived