Sign in to follow this  
fozcycle

RIP Dr Charlie Sifford

I had heard he was failing - very under rated guy - good player, great ball striker but more importantly at the forefront of breaking barriers.

He will be missed

• Like 1

Tiger said that if it weren't for Charlie Sifford, his father may not have played golf, therefore he probably would not have played.

• Like 1

Mr Sifford was from Charlotte NC and I knew him well. Him and my Dad were friends. In fact a couple of years ago they renamed Revolution Park Golf Club in Charlotte DR Charles Sifford course. Back in the day it was the only public course that those of the African American race were allowed to play. I grew up in those times in the early 60s. I can tell you one thing a lot of good players cut their teeth on that course. I can remember when we had a change of management at our course they opened it up for those folks to play and they came. I know about half of the guys that were featured on the GC show "Uneven Fairways". In fact you can tell some really old timers from my area because we referred to Mr Sifford as "Cigar Charlie" or just plain "Cigar" of course me being a kid I called him Mr Sifford in fact when I saw him 3 or 4 years ago I still called him Mr Sifford. Yep the man did a lot in his 92 years on this earth! RIP Mr Sifford you earned it the hard way.  Stu

• Like 3

Wonderful tribute from ESPN's Rick Reilly....

• Like 1

Mr Sifford was from Charlotte NC and I knew him well. Him and my Dad were friends. In fact a couple of years ago they renamed Revolution Park Golf Club in Charlotte DR Charles Sifford course. Back in the day it was the only public course that those of the African American race were allowed to play. I grew up in those times in the early 60s. I can tell you one thing a lot of good players cut their teeth on that course. I can remember when we had a change of management at our course they opened it up for those folks to play and they came. I know about half of the guys that were featured on the GC show "Uneven Fairways". In fact you can tell some really old timers from my area because we referred to Mr Sifford as "Cigar Charlie" or just plain "Cigar" of course me being a kid I called him Mr Sifford in fact when I saw him 3 or 4 years ago I still called him Mr Sifford. Yep the man did a lot in his 92 years on this earth! RIP Mr Sifford you earned it the hard way.  Stu

Thanks much Stu........this is the stuff legends are made of.....and you have stories to share.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Daily Deals

• Sponsors

• Our Sponsors

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    jaysat

• By GolfSpy Stroker
      Nice to see folks taking a break and celebrating the holidays!

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/how-the-golf-world-celebrated-christmas
    • By GolfSpy Dave
      KUCH!
      Looks like Matt Kuchar has finally found a way to get it done again. Been quite a drought for one of golf's most consistent players...
      Anyway, I thought it a fine time to take a look at his armlock putting style and splash a few photos of his Bettinardi.
      Any of you try the armlock style of putting?

• By uptoscratchgolf
      Hey guys,

We have recently taken up golf and are now on a very tongue-in-cheek journey to becoming scratch golfers. Don’t worry, we’re closer to landing on the moon at this rate.

We document each round and would love to hear any feedback, tips or if anyone else around London/Essex wants to play.

Our latest video is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6K8KtmpGbA

Check it out, if you can!

• By DPattGolf
      Tomorrow will be the first step in my potential career change from private accountant to PGA Professional with the Playing Ability Test. It is something I have been both excited and nervous about but I know that I love golf and coaching my college team too much to continue to sit behind a desk for 10 hours a day and not give this passion a legitimate shot to become my real career while I am still young and without kids.

I have been playing awful lately (pretty sure its all mental as usual) but I will be playing 36 holes and need a 2 round score of 158 (+14) or better to pass and enter the PGM Program without restrictions.

Here's to straight drives and lots of birdie putts!
    • By FWYinReg
      Hey everyone it's been a while,

since I was last on, a lot has happened.  I got professionally fitted for a set of irons for the first time, I shot My low round of 38, I went to a stay away golf camp in Richmond, I had my first eagle during tryouts, and made it to number seven on my high school's golf team.  Finally, I became a senior in high school, and with that came a dilemma: What am I going to do after high school?  I have thought about doing something in medicine since I was four and this year, whilst taking two medical classes, came up with the idea of maybe pursuing physical therapy.  But since going to the stay away golf camp over the summer where a bunch of PGM students were interning, I also began messing around with the idea that I could maybe do PGM and become a PGA Professional.  This idea was furthered when my best friend from the golf team announced that he would be attending Methodist University as part of their PGM program.  This made me think about what the pros and cons of each would be, and this is what I came up with:
      PRO: Being a golf pro would allow me to further pursue my love of golf and being at a golf course. PRO: I would be able to work with kids, as well as teach people the game I love. CON: Mediocre to lousy starting pay, as well as annoying hours. CON: Would have to start out as an assistant pro somewhere, and that does not easily lend itself to golfing on my own during the week. PRO: Latest equipment from manufacturer. PRO: Less schooling to become a PGA pro. PRO: Physical therapist starting salary is around 80k. PRO: I'd probably be happier as a PGA pro. PRO: I'd get to travel with the PGA. Let me know what you guys and gals think, cause I could really use some outside opinions.
  • Recent Topics

• Latest from the Blog

• Happy Birthday Today!