The Vintage MacGregor Equipment Thread

deejaid

Seeing as we've had a lot of talk of classic MacGregors lately, I thought I'd start a thread dedicated to the sharing of everyone's vintage MacGregor gear and information.

I'll start it off with my early 90's set of MacGregor CB92 forged cavity back irons. As I said in another post, these were the clubs I wanted as a teen but couldn't afford so I decided to get a set.

These CB92's are sort of a restomod. I bought just the heads, sourced some NOS MacGregor diamond ferrules that came on the 1025 irons like Barbajo just scored. I then shafted them up with KBS C-taper lite shafts.

Right now I have the 4-SW in my classic bag, but I also have the 1,2, and 3 iron heads if I ever want the entire set finished. I added a late 90's Tommy Armour 350cc driver, a Cleveland Classic 5 wood and a vintage Bullseye putter to round out the set.

As much as I love my KZG gamers, this bag is just as cool. Quality old forgings from the USA and just the basics.

Everyone feel free to add your vintage MacGregor scores here. I'm sure Big Stu will fill this entire thread but I got a few more vintage MacGregor items on the way .

IMG_20170227_104735.jpg

IMG_20170227_104722.jpg

IMG_20170227_104806.jpg

IMG_20170227_104822.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5X using MyGolfSpy mobile app

IMG_20170227_104715.jpg

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

Those are some awesome looking sticks. Took mine to the heated range again today - I just

Might start the season with these in the bag just to see what happens

Those look to be in really nice shape. Any tips on refinishing?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Yeah, these heads are in as close to new as you'll find without being NOS. Sorry I don't have any refinishing tricks, these just were pretty much unused.

Glad to hear you got to hit yours Barbajo. Those Macgregor forgings are pretty sweet huh?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

WITB:

Rife Legend Z Putter

Not sure how vintage but the first real driver I ever purchased was a MacGregor MacTec NVG2. It was a bomber for me back then.

R1 TP w/Fujikura Speeder57 Evolution Stiff
Speedline Super S 3W 15* w/Matrix HD Radix S 60 Stiff
Idea Tech V4 3-hybrid Stiff
Blue Irons 5-PW TrueTemper Dynalite 85 Stiff
CG15 52* & 588 RTX 56* Wedges
Cure RXi

Not sure how vintage but the first real driver I ever purchased was a MacGregor MacTec NVG2. It was a bomber for me back then.

I still have a couple as well as a few hybrids, and my wife still uses the NVG2 5 wood occasionally.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

That set easily makes my favorite forgings Top 10 list. Absolutely love those heads. I had a 2-PW set of Tourney PMBs that also make that list. I want to see a pic of that VIP kn1fe.

PXG___0811 X 9* - Mitsubishi Diamana s60 Limited X
Cobra___S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
Adams___XTD Forged 3i - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
Adams___CMB 4-PW - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
KZG___Tri-Tour 50.08__54.10__58.12 - Accra iCWT 2.0-95i S
Nike___Method Converge B1-01 (copper insert)
Maxfli___'23 Tour X
"The most important shot in golf is the next one“

That set easily makes my favorite forgings Top 10 list. Absolutely love those heads. I've got a 2-PW set of Tourney PMBs that also make that list. I want to see a pic of that VIP kn1fe.

The 1 iron looks like it's never been hit

IMG_20170228_123637.jpg

IMG_20170228_123627.jpg

WITB:

Rife Legend Z Putter

The 1 iron looks like it's never been hit

attachicon.gifIMG_20170228_123637.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20170228_123627.jpg

Jeez, it looks like you could shave with that thing!

My first big boy st of woods were MacGregor Tourney persimmons. Games them from the early 80's until the late 90's - they've gone to that big Goodwill store in the sky though.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Yeah, I don't think I'll ever shaft that 1 iron up. It would be fun to try though.

I took the 4,6,and 8 iron with me to the range today along with my KZG's. I hit them really about the same. The Macs might fly a tad higher with the lower kick point of the C-taper Lite shafts. Obviously the Macs are a bit shorter as the lofts are very weak, 50* PW if I recall correctly.

Gonna play on Thursday but not sure which bag I'm gonna take. It's been raining so much here that it's been awhile since I've been out, might need to just go with the KZG's.

WITB:

Rife Legend Z Putter

Yeah, I don't think I'll ever shaft that 1 iron up. It would be fun to try though.

Obviously the Macs are a bit shorter as the lofts are very weak, 50* PW if I recall correctly.

That kn1fe is gorgeous and pristine. Thank you for sharing. You should incorporate it into some sort of fixture for your desk or memorabilia shelf.

You're spot on with that PW loft. Probably another one of the purist leaning components of the Macgregor biz model that delivered them to the dustbin. Manufacturers were jacking up lofts on game improvement sets in mid-90s but MacG refused to budge off old standards.

Maxfli___'23 Tour X

Yup, I'm not sure how long they kept the old lofts, but if you can't promise more length, you're not gonna make it in the current golf climate. Found this page from the 1992 Macgregor catalog.

WITB:

Rife Legend Z Putter

Yup, I'm not sure how long they kept the old lofts, but if you can't promise more length, you're not gonna make it in the current golf climate. Found this page from the 1992 Macgregor catalog.

Mmmmm...vintage marketing materials. Equipment language was so much simpler then. A poignant reminder of the need for a site like MGS to wade through the obfuscating "new" B.S. tech modern manufacturers try to shove down our throats every year.

I had a gig working the golf department at a sporting goods store in '98 that qualified me for a steep discount on a built 2-PW set of Tourney PMBs. I think after my discount they still cost me ~$1200.00 (in '98!!!). My boss at the time asked, "Why do you need a 2 iron?" My reply as I signed over several paychecks, "Because the PW is GW, just take all my dough and order the clubs."

Maxfli___'23 Tour X

Mmmmm...vintage marketing materials. Equipment language was so much simpler then. A poignant reminder of the need for a site like MGS to wade through the obfuscating "new" B.S. tech modern manufacturers try to shove down our throats every year.

I had a gig working the golf department at a sporting goods store in '98 that qualified me for a steep discount on a built 2-PW set of Tourney PMBs. I think after my discount they still cost me ~$1200.00 (in '98!!!). My boss at the time asked, "Why do you need a 2 iron?" My reply as I signed over several paychecks, "Because the PW is GW, just take all my dough and order the clubs."

Yeah it's funny. If you read that catalog page it doesn't mention the words, "distance", "further",or "longer" anywhere in it. I've never understood the need for more distance from my irons.

That's awesome that you custom ordered a set of PMB's back in the day. That must have been incredible the day those were delivered huh? Do you still have them?

I had a set of PCB's I gamed around 2002 or so. Never liked the shafts. That's why I bought the CB92 as heads only and added the C-Taper Lites. I think both the CB92's and the PCB's used the same Apollo shafts.

WITB:

Rife Legend Z Putter

Yes, the day they came in was pretty special. We had 3 demo irons (3,7,PW) at the store for customers to try before pulling the trigger on a $2K+ set of blades. I made the mistake of puring everything on my first test drive. I was a legitimate 17 greens a round kind of ball striker back then and those wrenches possessed the sex appeal and cruelty of a supermodel. I could literally feel it in my loins when I flushed the deuce. When I missed, it was literally painful. And that's during a TX Summer, in the cold they would best be described as "cruel and unusual".

Gamed for just over a year before boxing them up. Tired of the incessant pestering, I recently sold them to a buddy for a song. Still regret the sale but no chance would I game them regularly today.

Maxfli___'23 Tour X

• 5 years later...

Hi , bit late to the party but can anyone e help me with these ?

I’ve got some Macgregor 90th Anniversary irons with green ferrules , I can’t find any info on these clubs ?

thanks for the help in advance 

simon 

I love a forged blade oooooh so soft