Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Bridging the gap: 3 wood or 2 hybrid?

Sandy Koufax

I have a gap between my 10.5 driver, and my 20 degree 3 hybrid that I would like to fill. I am looking at the Taylormade Burner 15 degree 3 wood, because my driver is a Burner and I like it, or the Cobra Baffler Rail 17 degree 2 hybrid. Another option is the Baffler Fairway 15.5 3 wood, or the S2 15 3 wood. (I have been swinging a 23 degree Baffler for some time and I really like the 'Tink' noise it makes on impact!)

One guy in the pro shop where I buy my gear said the 3 wood is a better way to go, but he's an excellent player and I think the strong-lofted hybrid might be easier for a hacker like me to hit. On the other hand, buying a 17 degree 2 hybrid that is only three degrees stronger than the 20 degree I have, leaves a significant gap going down to my driver.

Obviously I am going to demo a few different 3 woods, 2 hybrids and etc, but what do you guys think is the best club to slot in between my driver and 3 hybrid?

The Germans are only dead, when the coffin is nailed shut

I play a 9.5 driver, 15 degree 3wood, and a 21 degree 3 hybrid and love it. My advice would be to go with the 3 wood, just make sure to buy one that you can hit good off the tee and the fairway. My cobra 3 wood has been great to me ,so thats the way i would go.

Driver--Taylormade RBZ Tour 9* Aldila RIP Phenom 65s

Fairway Metal--Taylormade R11s 14* Aldila RIP Phenom 70s

Hybrid--Taylormade RBZ Tour 18.5* RE-AX 85 gram S

Irons--Nike Vr Pro-Combo 4-PW True Temper Dynamic Gold S300

Wedges--Nike SV Tour Forged 50*, 56*, 60* True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter--Scotty Cameron California Del Mar

Ball--Taylormade Lethal

Grips--Lamkin R.E.L 3Gen (Woods-green, Irons-red, Wedges-white)

Consider the Adams 15* SuperHybrid. I've been carrying one for 3 months, and its an almost perfect compromise between a fairway wood and a hybrid.

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

Im a believer in the Hybrid route, only cause it works for me. I am more consistent with it and I can hit it about 260 if I really tag it. Consider the golf courses you play though. Weigh out the situations where you would use each club, if you come up with more reasons to go with one over the other, then there is your answer

Fairways and Greens

A fairway wood (in my opinion) will always be easier to hit.

10º-15º-20º will space lofts symmetricaly, and help you to approach different distances in a more tolerable way.

I play a 10º Driver, 15º 3W and 19.5º 7W.

A third alternative would be to play a higher lofted wood, maybe a 4W (around 16º-16.5º). TourEdge excotics are an awesome choice for example.

Fairway woods and hybrids are two different animals. A FW will be in the 170-200cc range, with face (vertical) roll and (horizontal bulge. The bulge is a corrective measure on miss-hits ("gear effect") while the roll can decrease backspin ("vertical gear effect"). The FW will also have a longer shaft off the rack (43-43.5").

Hybrids can be a mismash of styles. Some are just hollow-bodied irons. Some are the size of 7-woods. Then there's the obligatory "everything in between". Their face, though, will resemble that of an iron... flat. There will be no horizontal or vertical gear effect- flight trajectory, backspin and flight direction will be dictated mostly by the swing path and clubhead angle at impact. The hybrid will also have a shorter shaft (39.5-41").

FWs can be longer, but less accurate. Hybrids can be shorter, but more accurate. It's also highly possible that the hybrid, at the same loft, can actually be longer than its FW "brother": if you find you have more consistent impacts with a hybrid's face center, that can boost your distance potential while maintaining the accuracy that's inherent with the design. But notice I said "possible"... if you're properly fitted into a 3 wood that's the right length, head size and style, shaft flex and grip size, you may be looking at a Swiss Army knife (in golf form) at your disposal.

+1 for you for going and demoing all you can. Very wise. Get a proper fitting, as well. The fitter will be able to give you an idea, based on your ability, which route will be the best for your personal swing. After rereading this, it does sound kind of wishy-washy, but I feel it's true: everyone has a preference and none of them are "wrong". But you have to do what's right for YOUR game, not mine (that would just be silly... but if you do find something out, let me know :D ).

Fairway woods and hybrids are two different animals. A FW will be in the 170-200cc range, with face (vertical) roll and (horizontal bulge. The bulge is a corrective measure on miss-hits ("gear effect") while the roll can decrease backspin ("vertical gear effect"). The FW will also have a longer shaft off the rack (43-43.5").

Hybrids can be a mismash of styles. Some are just hollow-bodied irons. Some are the size of 7-woods. Then there's the obligatory "everything in between". Their face, though, will resemble that of an iron... flat. There will be no horizontal or vertical gear effect- flight trajectory, backspin and flight direction will be dictated mostly by the swing path and clubhead angle at impact. The hybrid will also have a shorter shaft (39.5-41").

FWs can be longer, but less accurate. Hybrids can be shorter, but more accurate. It's also highly possible that the hybrid, at the same loft, can actually be longer than its FW "brother": if you find you have more consistent impacts with a hybrid's face center, that can boost your distance potential while maintaining the accuracy that's inherent with the design. But notice I said "possible"... if you're properly fitted into a 3 wood that's the right length, head size and style, shaft flex and grip size, you may be looking at a Swiss Army knife (in golf form) at your disposal.

+1 for you for going and demoing all you can. Very wise. Get a proper fitting, as well. The fitter will be able to give you an idea, based on your ability, which route will be the best for your personal swing. After rereading this, it does sound kind of wishy-washy, but I feel it's true: everyone has a preference and none of them are "wrong". But you have to do what's right for YOUR game, not mine (that would just be silly... but if you do find something out, let me know :D ).

Thank you Justin that was the reply I was looking for in terms of the practical differences bewteen two clubs that are similar in face degree. I smacked a few off the tee today with a standard Cobra S2 3 wood...not exactly a full demo, I'm a bartender at a country club and I just ran downstairs when it got slow and grabbed a demo club and hit a few off first tee...but anyways I liked it but I didn't love it. The Cobra Baffler H rail fairway woods intrigue me because of my past positive experience with the Baffler line, I really miss that 'TINK!' from my bag! I'll keep this board posted and of course keep the input coming! Love this forum!

The Germans are only dead, when the coffin is nailed shut

If you want something to go smack dab in the middle, I would find a 15* 1 hybrid. The 17* 2 hybrid will be a little shorter, and the 15* 3 wood will be a little longer, not to mention less accurate.

Personally I have a 10.5* driver, a 15* 3 wood, a 17* 2 hybrid, and a 21* 3 iron.

I just switched from:

10.5 * Powerbilt Air Force One Driver...200 to 230 yds

2H - 17* Nickent 3DXDC hybrid....205 to 215 yds

3 Wood - 15* Cobra S9-1.. yds...180 to 205

3H - 20* PowerBilt AFO 3 hybrid....175 to 185 yds

4 iron PowerBilt Air Force One Hollow iron...165 to 175 yds

to:

10.5 * Powerbilt Air Force One Driver...200 to 230 yds

3 wood - 15* Cobra S9-1....180 to 205 yds

5 wood - Powerbilt AFO ....170 to 185 yds high launch

3H - 20* PowerBilt AFO 3 hybrid...175 to 185 yds

4H - 23* PowerBilt AFO 4 hybrid...160 to 175 yds

Don't know if it's better, but it feels right.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

5 wood - Powerbilt AFO ....170 to 185 yds high launch

3H - 20* PowerBilt AFO 3 hybrid...175 to 185 yds

Why keep the 5 wood? You already have that yardage covered. I say drop the 5 wood and add a wedge

Nothing helps you find a lost ball better than a provisional hit straight down the middle.

Why keep the 5 wood? You already have that yardage covered. I say drop the 5 wood and add a wedge

I agree. I'm not one of those "My way of the highway" types... there's a lot of grey area in golf equipment. But if you have the 5w and hybrid going the same distance, it'd just be logical to go with Hendricks' idea. If you keep the hybrid you'll have the same distance, just better accuracy. The added wedge will only be a benefit around the greens.

Of course, you need to be comfortable and confident with your equipment... If you are, and switching stuff around hurts that, it might not be a good idea.

Archived