#1 dang3rtown

dang3rtown

SR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members

• 474 posts
  • LocationSacramento
  • Handicap:6.2

Posted 10 September 2017 - 05:51 AM

Since I searched and haven't been able to find much on the "Cut Golf Co." line of balls, I figured I would order a few dozen and write up a review.
For those that don't already know, Cut is a direct to consumer ball manufacturer based out of Southern California (Costa Mesa!). Among the many direct to consumer brands out there, I believe cut offers a "tour" quality ball at a lower price point than any other brand. This and this alone has motivated me to figure out if they're any good!
My testing will not be:
Scientific
Quantifiable in any way
Free of bias
Coherently written

My testing will be:
Like, my opinion man?
Based on feel
How it relates to my game/balls I currently play

About me; I'm a single digit handicapper, hit the ball pretty far, irons go high, long and have lots of spin (7i averages about 195yds with 6500rpm spin). I am currently gaming the Taylor Made TP5X. Short game needs work, Leo, dogs > cats, enjoys hazy IPAs.

About the balls:
Cut offers three models of golf ball; The Cut Blue, a 4 piece, urethane cover ball. This is their tour ball, the one I am testing. The Cut White, a 3 piece, mid-range ball with a surlyn cover and The Cut Red, a 2 piece, surly cover low end ball. The Blue goes for $20/dzn, the White $15/dzn and the Red is $10/dzn.

Yes, $20 for one dozen, 4 piece, urethane covered, potentially tour quality balls.

To start, I went on the site and ordered three dozen balls. Three dozen at $19.99 each plus $4.79 for tax and a flat $10 for shopping brought my grand total to $74.64 aka, less than $25 a dozen delivered to my door step.
I received my balls less than 48 hours from time of order (I live in CA, experience may vary).
Taking them out, they feel like any other tour ball, the graphics don't appear to be well designed or applied for that matter (like a screen print running a little low on ink). Graphics don't matter to me but these definitely aren't pretty like a ProV1 or direct to consumer competitor, Vice. Haven't played them yet but I have a tee time tomorrow at 0700 and they will be in the bag. Wish me luck and stay posted!
IMG_1402.JPG IMG_1403.JPG IMG_1404.JPG IMG_1405.JPG

Sent from my Augusta National using MyGolfSpy

Driver:  :ping-small:  G 10.5* W/Tour Stiff 65g Ping Shaft   

Fairway Woods:  :cobra-small:  Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*  

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Wedges: :benhogan-small:  TK, 52* & 56*

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin 

Bag:  :ping-small: Hoofer 5way

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP5/X

#2 BIG STU

BIG STU

AGENT NAME: HUNTINGTON

• Members
  • 3,503 posts
  • LocationGarden City Beach SC
  • Handicap:5

Posted 10 September 2017 - 09:57 AM

I always like an unofficial review. It will be interesting to hear your opinion. My running partner Bear and his brother have been experimenting with the Master grip C-4 balls some lately. For us they seem to perform as good as a Pro V for a heck of a lot less money. I feel about them about the Kirkland that they are a quality ball and would not hesitate to put one in play in a money match or a serious comp. I for one do not play big money matches or comp any more and will be dammed if I am paying $50 or more for a dozen balls. Lately I have a source that I get used Pro Vs from mostly used logo one cheap. Now yesterday I messed around and played the Callaway Super Soft since I got a dozen free from a Cally rep I know. I had played one of those balls I found in the past with the vintage stuff and liked it. Never had played it with the modern stuff. I like the control of it off the hot faced Cally irons and got used to putting it. They are cheap too I noticed $19.95 at Wally World.

But yeah your review will be interesting so to speak. One thing I would have to get used to is the name "Cut" Makes me think of the Balata days when you miss one and lay it open. LOL I also play a baby fade or cut shot as my standard shot

Driver Titleist 915 D-2 Mitsubishi Diamana 65 R
3 Wood Adams Super S--- Stock Bassara Regular Shaft
Hybrid--- TM Rescue Mid 19* Pro Launch Blue HY special

Hybrid ---- TM Rescue Mid 22* Stock TM tip stiff

2 Iron 19* 1999 Forged Hogan Apex S-300 non tipped butt cut only to 43" (yep a real Hogan when Hogan was Hogan)

Irons --- 5 thru PW 2013 Callaway X Forged Rifle 5,5 PXI Blueprinted

GW --- Callaway BECU 50* S-300

SW Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56* KBS wedge stock

Putter Scotty Santa Fe 1997 vintage Nicknamed "Rusty" because it is

Bag  TEE 3.5 stand for now

Redneck Hippie Golf Where When The Tailgate Drops The BS Stops !

Founding Father Outlaw Golf Association member #1 to heck with the USGA

#3 dang3rtown

dang3rtown

SR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members

• 474 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 10 September 2017 - 06:01 PM

One thing I would have to get used to is the name "Cut" Makes me think of the Balata days when you miss one and lay it open. LOL I also play a baby fade or cut shot as my standard shot

Every time I say it, I think of a balata!

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

#4 JudgeSmails

JudgeSmails

GRANDMASTER SPY

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne, IN
  • Handicap:10

Posted 10 September 2017 - 07:00 PM

look forward to hearing your thoughts....I just ordered a trial sleeve or Blue and the new Grey....should be here tomorrow......I'll add my thoughts here after i get a chance to try 'em out if you don't mind

Driver:    :callaway-small: GBB Epic 10.5* 

Fairway:   :callaway-small:  GBB Epic 5w

Hybrid:  :wilson_staff_small: D200  4h 22*

Irons:   :wilson_staff_small: C200 5-GW

Wedges:  :wilson_staff_small: PMP 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :cameron-small:  Fastback Select  (codename: LittleScotty)

Ball:  :wilson_staff_small:  DUO Urethane

I make Hand-Stamped Copper Ball Markers, check out my FB Page below

https://www.facebook...inesGolfDesigns

#5 Yak

Yak

BRAND NEW SPY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 07:39 PM

I put the Blue and the Grey into play last weekend and these are some really good balls at any price point. My buddy preferred the Blue while I love the Grey. I look forward hearing your thoughts on them.

Sent from my SM-N920V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

#6 BIG STU

BIG STU

AGENT NAME: HUNTINGTON

• Members
  • 3,503 posts
  • LocationGarden City Beach SC
  • Handicap:5

Posted 10 September 2017 - 09:30 PM

Every time I say it, I think of a balata!

LOL goes to show great minds think alike  ;)

Driver Titleist 915 D-2 Mitsubishi Diamana 65 R
3 Wood Adams Super S--- Stock Bassara Regular Shaft
Hybrid--- TM Rescue Mid 19* Pro Launch Blue HY special

Hybrid ---- TM Rescue Mid 22* Stock TM tip stiff

2 Iron 19* 1999 Forged Hogan Apex S-300 non tipped butt cut only to 43" (yep a real Hogan when Hogan was Hogan)

Irons --- 5 thru PW 2013 Callaway X Forged Rifle 5,5 PXI Blueprinted

GW --- Callaway BECU 50* S-300

SW Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56* KBS wedge stock

Putter Scotty Santa Fe 1997 vintage Nicknamed "Rusty" because it is

Bag  TEE 3.5 stand for now

Redneck Hippie Golf Where When The Tailgate Drops The BS Stops !

Founding Father Outlaw Golf Association member #1 to heck with the USGA

#7 dang3rtown

dang3rtown

SR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members

• 474 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 13 September 2017 - 12:01 AM

Well, I have put the Cut Blue through 18 holes on Sunday and another 9 on the executive course today. Additionally, I spent a few hours on the short game practice area hitting putts, chips and bunker blasts wit the Cut, some Pro V 1s, some TM TP5s and a Callaway Chrome Soft Truvis I happened to have in my bag.

In general, I could not for the life of me tell the difference between any of these balls. On the course, I hit the Cut about as far as I typically hit a tour ball. No appreciable change in distance. Ball flight may be slightly high compared to other, similar balls.

Around and on the green, the Cut had a nice feel, soft, easy to spin. Again, not much different than a Pro V1 or similar.

As for durability, see the pic below. That is the same ball I used for 18 holes on Sunday. No issues at all, even the ugly graphic stayed in place.

All in all, unless you're a seriously good golfer (club pro or better), you will have a hard time discerning the difference between this ball and another that costs twice as much or more. In general, I would say it plays more like a Pro V1/TP5 than the Pro V1x/TP5x. Definitely plenty of spin and if you don't love that, this may not be the ball for you.

Bottom line, I reckon, if they painted "Titleist" on this ball instead of "Cut", there would be very few people who could tell the difference. Save yourself some cash, give these a go. They are top notch and less than $20 a dozen. Maybe someday they'll even hire a graphic designer to spruce up their look!

Attached Images

• IMG_1406.JPG

#8 cksurfdude

cksurfdude

GRANDMASTER SPY

• Members

• 1,450 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY
  • Handicap:~18

Posted 13 September 2017 - 12:10 AM

Great info! Thanks!!

WITB^ of a right-handed 61 y.o. "aspiring" ;) player ...

Callaway Bertha Mini 1.5 (Kuro Kage Silver Tini)

Callaway XR16 5W  (Motore Speeder Red)

Callaway XR 4H (Project X SD)

Cobra King OS 5i-9i (Recoil 807)

Callaway Apex CF16 PW (Recoil 760)

Callaway MD3 50-10/S (R300) and 54-10/S (S200)

Callaway X-Jaws 58-08

MLA Tour XDream Black Edition w/Forward Golf grip.

^ currently ... subject to change at any time!

#9 mdumble21

mdumble21

SR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationPerth, Western Australia
  • Handicap:9

Posted 13 September 2017 - 12:29 AM

I always love reading people's opinions on the Online Golf (aka Guerilla) manufacturers like Snell, Cut & Vice Golf. Over here in Australia, we have one as well - Forte Golf. They have 4 models in their range - the SS2 Soft (AU$18.99/Dozen), SS3 Speed (AU$24.99/Dozen), Tour Performance S (AU$40.99/Dozen) and the Forte 6 (AU$66.99/Dozen).

Forte Golf, up until recently, were conducting a free trial program in order to get their product out to any potential customers. If you were interested in their products, you'd enter your email and address into a web page, and then you'd get a 2-ball trial pack to test out. I've trialled both the SS3 Speed and the Forte 6 in the past. 

The SS3 Speed wasn't quite for me as it didn't spin anywhere near as I would like around the greens. However, I gave the trial pack to my grandfather to test out, and he loves them as they give him extra distance off the tee and he enjoys the feel off the irons. 

The Forte 6 is more up my alley, as it's a 6-piece ball (take that Taylormade!!) that's designed to take on the big ball manufacturers as a Pro V1X equivalent. Whilst I found the Forte 6 to be a bit clicky (similarly to a TP5), the ball performed as well as the Pro V1X on approach shots and off the tee. Once you get used to the clicky feeling, this is a damn good golf ball.

As for the other balls in the line-up, I've been reading mostly good reviews on Forte Golf's Facebook page, with the only bad comments being how quick the balls wear but these are only really issues for the SS2 and SS3 at the moment. 

Driver: Titliest 915 D3 (9.5) with Fujikura Speeder Shaft 757 (Tour Stiff)

3 Wood: Callaway Epic Sub-Zero (15 degrees) in Rogue Max 75g stiff shaft

Irons: PING i200 3-PW in XP 95 shafts with S300 flex

Wedges: Callaway MD2 - 52, 56 & 60 degrees

Putter: Taylormade Rosca Daytona I

Golf Ball: Callaway ChromeSofts/Titliest Pro V1 ('17)/Vice Pro

#10 ttucliffhanger

ttucliffhanger

BRAND NEW SPY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 01:04 AM

Even though I'm a brand ambassador for Cut, I would be using the balls even if I wasn't. I really like that you don't have to break the bank for a dozen of performance balls. I have played, the whites, blues, and greys and love all three. Just depends on the weather which one I would rather play.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

#11 TBT

TBT

GRANDMASTER SPY

• Members

• 1,000 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas
  • Handicap:15

Posted 13 September 2017 - 03:39 AM

I'm definitely going to give these a try...thanks for the great review

Honored to be chosen as the winner of the MGS Cobra Connect Challenge

:cobra-small: King F7+ UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 6F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 6-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:cobra-small: King PuR Wedges 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 3.0 grip

Arccos Generation 1 Sensors on all clubs

Snell MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

#12 dang3rtown

dang3rtown

SR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members

• 474 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 13 September 2017 - 03:14 PM

I always love reading people's opinions on the Online Golf (aka Guerilla) manufacturers like Snell, Cut & Vice Golf. Over here in Australia, we have one as well - Forte Golf. They have 4 models in their range - the SS2 Soft (AU$18.99/Dozen), SS3 Speed (AU$24.99/Dozen), Tour Performance S (AU$40.99/Dozen) and the Forte 6 (AU$66.99/Dozen).

Forte Golf, up until recently, were conducting a free trial program in order to get their product out to any potential customers. If you were interested in their products, you'd enter your email and address into a web page, and then you'd get a 2-ball trial pack to test out. I've trialled both the SS3 Speed and the Forte 6 in the past. 

The SS3 Speed wasn't quite for me as it didn't spin anywhere near as I would like around the greens. However, I gave the trial pack to my grandfather to test out, and he loves them as they give him extra distance off the tee and he enjoys the feel off the irons. 

The Forte 6 is more up my alley, as it's a 6-piece ball (take that Taylormade!!) that's designed to take on the big ball manufacturers as a Pro V1X equivalent. Whilst I found the Forte 6 to be a bit clicky (similarly to a TP5), the ball performed as well as the Pro V1X on approach shots and off the tee. Once you get used to the clicky feeling, this is a damn good golf ball.

As for the other balls in the line-up, I've been reading mostly good reviews on Forte Golf's Facebook page, with the only bad comments being how quick the balls wear but these are only really issues for the SS2 and SS3 at the moment. 

Price wise, how does that compare to premium quality balls? I'm not sure how much your plastic, kangaroo dollars are worth! (or how much balls come to down there with shipping, import taxes, etc.)

#13 JudgeSmails

JudgeSmails

GRANDMASTER SPY

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne, IN

Posted 13 September 2017 - 05:37 PM

thanks for sharing this....I got my trial sleeves monday (1 gray 1 blue) and hope to try them out this weekend.......Looks like you can only get trials of the gray right now, curious what the price will be per dz...assume less than or equal the blue

#14 ttucliffhanger

ttucliffhanger

BRAND NEW SPY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 05:39 PM

thanks for sharing this....I got my trial sleeves monday (1 gray 1 blue) and hope to try them out this weekend.......Looks like you can only get trials of the gray right now, curious what the price will be per dz...assume less than or equal the blue

Hey. Seen this post and thought I'd respond. Greys will be available by the dozen in October for the same price as the Blues. Your gonna like both balls!

#15 JudgeSmails

JudgeSmails

GRANDMASTER SPY

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne, IN

Posted 13 September 2017 - 05:44 PM

Hey. Seen this post and thought I'd respond. Greys will be available by the dozen in October for the same price as the Blues. Your gonna like both balls!

great.....I think I may prefer the lower compression gray....BUT, if they are as good as advertised, either way I'm saving almost 1/2 (DUO U's are 38 retail, softer still than the gray, but doubt i'm good enough to notice)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors

Our Sponsors

Latest Status Updates

Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      14 Nov
    ddryan

Heading to Pinehurst tomorrow for a week- cant wait!!!

Show comments (3)
  • Photo
      13 Nov
    Clublender

Hi. We are addicted to golf and rent high-end golf clubs (PXGs, Callaways, Titleists, and TaylorMades) on demand in the LA area. My Golf Spy looks like a great site and we look forward to interacting with other golfers on the site.

• Photo
      09 Nov
    golfovernight

he best players don't get overwhelmed with mechanical thoughts as they stand over the ball. They pick one feel-based thought and go with it. Steal one of these tour thoughts for some pre-swing clarity.

View All Updates

Recent Topics

Our Sponsors