Why is this game so hard?

Our Sponsors

So years ago I'm about a 15-16 handicap and playing with a club pro on hole 5 180 to the pin I hit 6 iron to 18”. Birdie. On 16 510 yard I hit drive and 5 iron and hit the pin 12” eagle putt. I shoot 84. Not bad. After the round drinking a beer the pro says any pro would love to hit those two shots. I said but I shot 84. He said that's the beauty of Golf and why we come back. Enjoy those great shots and forget the bad ones. I'm a 8 handicap now and will never forget what he said.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 6

When I'm having a bad day on the course... and pick up my little white friend and say I thought we had an understanding...I know I used to hit your friend the baseball hard and not care where it went. But things changed I care where you go. Why won't you go where I want you to go!!!!!!!! To answer your question though it's mostly mental. A 90mph fastball doesn't give you time to think. It's a natural reaction at least for me. Same with almost all sports for me. This sports has taken me out of my natural element if you will and forces me to think instead of react. Which is A reason I really enjoy it now. Keeps me wanting more

• Like 2

Simple. Its a "skill" game. But a simple game. (start here put ball in hole there in as few shots as possible) But the hard part is all the different variables involved in each shot.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Simple. Its a "skill" game. But a simple game. (start here put ball in hole there in as few shots as possible) But the hard part is all the different variables involved in each shot.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

^ That's it, really!

This game is soooo deceptively simple - on the surface...... Not like say, tennis or baseball, where the ball is moving towards you and the motions required to move to the ball and return it in the opposite direction are so much more complex.

In golf the ball is just sitting there, patiently awaiting its "instructions" as delivered by the clubhead.

And that's what killed me trying to learn this game. My prior activities .. eg. skiing, surfing .. are more dynamic; you're in motion and adapting to the changing slope or wave.

So I'm starting to understand what a HUGE part of this game the mental aspect is ... and starting to understand that you can't really progress until you start to overcome your own internal obstacles and hurdles.

• Like 1

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Tour Edge Exotics EXS 3W/HL (17*) and EXS 7W (both Tensei CK Blue)
..Callaway Super Hybrid 23 (PX Catalyst) and Big Bertha 19 5H (Recoil ZTR)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT) 
..Cleveland CBX2 54 and CBX 60 (both Rotex graphite)
..Evnroll ER5 (33", 385g, P2 Reflex Tour)
..all in a Datrek bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator

This game comes down to the wire, minuscule details. A tiny little adjustment of the club face and hands, create a wide array of results. I think of swing like a fan, the better the strike plus path, narrows the fan. All this is even before we get to custom fitting and the mental aspect of the game. Thinking about a hazard, leads to going into the hazard. Then try hitting a purposeful fade, leads to a pull or straight. This game combines physics, geometry, zen yoga, concentration, etc, etc. No one has a exact handle on this game, if they did, they would shoot 18, to coin a phrase.

• Like 2

WITB 2021
Driver: Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo 9* w/ C.Kua Stiff

FW: Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo 15* w/ C.Kua Stiff

HY: Cleveland Launcher Halo 19* w/ C.Kua Stiff 

Irons: Titleist 716 AP1 4-PW w/ KBS 90 Stiff

Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 50*, 54*,60*

Putter: Never Compromise MIlled #4 OR Huntington Beach #2

Ball: :titelist-small: ProV1/V1x OR TP5 

Bag: Sun Mountain 2019 4.5 14way carry

Clothes: Nike OR Under Armour 

No matter your skill level.What makes this game so difficult?

you are hitting a little hard spinny ball with a shard of metal in a stick. That sounds hard to me.

Sometimes it can be easy though. Shot a 77 today. Personal course record for me.

• Like 4

... As Rosanna Dana said "It's always somethin." I was 2 under thru 12 yesterday and pushed my tee shot into the wind and wound up under some palm fronds. Limited backswing but able to choke down to the metal and hit a surprising good shot back in the fairway... but I hit it too well and it ended up right behind a tree on the other side of the fairway. Turned an 8 iron backwards and left handed it into the fairway where it ended up in the front of a very deep divot. Tried to hit down hard with a DI but it still squirted left and one guess where it ended up? Yea, behind another tree. Another backwards left handed 8 iron to some pine straw and had to keep my next shot under some limbs. Came up a hair short of the green, hit an excellent chip that lipped out leaving me a tap in for an 8, with no penalty strokes! From 2 under to 1 over in one hole and I felt like I only hit one marginal shot, off the tee, and it wasn't that bad. This game can be sooooo hard. 

• Like 3

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM2 Max ... Diamana Limited 60R
Fairway:  Cobra SZ 14.5* ... Atmos Blue TS 7S
Utility:   Callaway Super Hybrid 17*   ... Diamana Limited 65R
               TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Limited 65R
Irons:    4-Pw Cobra King Tour MIM ... Nippon 950gh r-flex
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Nippon 950gh r-flex
                 Mizuno T20 58* ... Nippon 950gh r-flex
Putter:  Cleveland Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:      TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

For me the day to day peaks and valleys are the hardest to deal with mentally. One day you have good control of the ball and the next day it can go anywhere. It seems like improvement should be more linear but not for this game!

• Like 3

Driver - Ping G410 Plus 10.5 - Ping Tour 65 Stiff

4 Wood - Callaway Rogue - Project X Evenflow blue 6.0

Hybrids - Titleist 818 H2 -  3(c-1) and 4(c-4) - Tensei CK Blue 70 stiff

Irons - Callaway Apex  CF 16 5-AW - True Temper XP 95 Steel Stiff

Wedges - Ping Glide 54 SS, 58 TS

Putter - Edel e1 Torque balanced

Indianapolis

5.5 Index

For me the day to day peaks and valleys are the hardest to deal with mentally. One day you have good control of the ball and the next day it can go anywhere. It seems like improvement should be more linear but not for this game!

There's nothing linear about my game. Not my ball flight, my scores or anything. But I keep coming back.

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk

• Like 2

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
4 Wood (17*) - :callaway-logo-1: Big Bertha S2H2 - RCH 90 "Firm"
7 Wood  - :callaway-logo-1: Big Bertha Warbird S2H2 - RCH 90 "Firm"
5i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
GW - LW - :cobra-small: F8 - N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour105 ( S )
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Black)
Ball -  :taylormade-small: TP5X Pix
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

What's in timeout:
3 Wood (16*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
4i - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )

There's nothing linear about my game. Not my ball flight, my scores or anything. But I keep coming back.

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk

Nothing linear about my game either. More of a sine wave.

• Like 2

Driver: Cobra F8 Tour length

3W: Cobra King F7 3/4 Wood

5W: Cobra King F7 5/6 Wood

Hybrid 3/4: Cobra F7 20.5*

Irons: 5 to PW Taylormade P790

A Wedge: 48* Vokey SM6 F grind

S Wedge: 54* Vokey SM6 M grind

L Wedge: 58* Vokey SM6 M grind

Putter: Rife Two Bar Hybrid 35" P2 Aware Tour grip

Ball: Taylormade TP 5X

Bag: Hot Z Canadian flag 🇨🇦