Our Sponsors

Photo

Best course you've played/what did pay per round?

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 Qwkz51

Qwkz51

BRAND NEW SPY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationGlasgow,KY
  • Handicap:14

Posted 18 December 2017 - 05:26 AM

What's the best course you've played and what did it cost you to play?

Montego Bay Jamaica cinnamon hill $150 a day plus caddie $50

DRIVER: :callaway-small:  Epic Sub-Zero 9.0º Aldila NV-X

3WD: Tour Edge Exotics CB4 16.5° Aldila RIP-X Driving Iron: Taylormade RSI #2 DG X-100 HyBRID: :adams-small:  XTD-TI 23° Aldila RIP-X6-GW: :ping-small:  G400 DG X100

SW: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 56* Wedges: :callaway-small: MD3 60° & MD3 64° PM

Putter: :cameron-small:  Newport SelectBagBoy RevolverVolvik-Vivid XT

#2 Peaksy68

Peaksy68

TOP-SECRET AGENT

• Members

• 870 posts
  • LocationDrysdale, Australia
  • Handicap:5.8

Posted 18 December 2017 - 09:18 AM

Royal Melbourne West course. Free, played as a member's guest.

:nickent-small:  4Dx 10.5
:taylormade-small:  3 & 5 08 Burner Fway
:taylormade-small:  08 Burner Hybrid
All with Grafalloy Epic Stiff shafts
:taylormade-small:  RSI2 5-P, reg 
Scor 49,53,57 Wedges
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
Sun Mountain Sync bag
Clicgear buggy

#3 DaveP043

DaveP043

TOP-SECRET AGENT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia
  • Handicap:4.5

Posted 18 December 2017 - 01:13 PM

Royal Dornoch, Scotland.  I'm guessing I paid about 120 pounds when I played it last, in 2012.  I've paid more for a round on a few occasions, but never played a better golf course.

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:titelist-small: Titelist 910D3 9.5, Kai'ili 65 S

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

#4 Kieldog (PMookie)

Kieldog (PMookie)

TOP-SECRET AGENT

• Members

• 897 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 02:37 PM

Best courses I’ve played were Hideaway CC, and PGA West in the Palm Springs area, both were free. I’ve never played any “big name” courses, and I’ve never traveled abroad, so I guess $125 at the courses on Kiawah (not Ocean Course) would be the most I’ve spent...

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Formerly known as "PMookie"

#5 TheWahoo

TheWahoo

GRANDMASTER SPY

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis, MD
  • Handicap:18

Posted 18 December 2017 - 04:29 PM

Over my professional life, I've had the good fortune to play several courses of note.   The even better fortune was that they were business meetings, in a manner of speaking, and didn't cost me anything.   My wife's niece graduated with a business degree and got a position with a national consulting firm.   She asked me for my professional advice.   I told her to learn to play golf, take some lessons and hit the range.   More deals are constructed at the 19th hole than in any board room.   She has reported that she now shoots in the 90s and has played in multiple business related outings.  

#6 Kenny B

Kenny B

AGENT NAME: PHOENIX

• Members

• 9,656 posts
  • LocationKennewick, WA
  • Handicap:9.0

Posted 18 December 2017 - 04:43 PM

I'm not sure how to determine "best course".  I've played so many beautiful courses, famous courses, and fun courses.  Not many fall into all of those categories, and I have difficulty selecting only one.  However, top 4:

1.  Bandon Dunes - Oregon       $100 + caddie

2,  Caledonia Golf and Fish Club - S.C.   $ Hard to say; $1100 stay and play; 10 courses in 6 days.

3.  Kapalua -Plantation Course - Maui     $175

4.  Gamble Sands - Washington   $100 not including lodging which is necessary.

EDIT:  OK, I have to add another one.  

River Islands -  east of Knoxville, TN  $50

On my many travels back to Tennessee, it is the only out-and-back course I have ever played.  Nice course, out in the middle of nowhere.

#7 DaveP043

DaveP043

TOP-SECRET AGENT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 04:54 PM

I'm not sure how to determine "best course".  I've played so many beautiful courses, famous courses, and fun courses.  Not many fall into all of those categories, and I have difficulty selecting only one. 

I agree completely, I've played a bunch of great places too, and its impossible to really define "best".  I ended up picking the one course I'd most like to play again, the one where I had the most fun.

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

#8 JTexGolfer

JTexGolfer

GRANDMASTER SPY

• Members

• 1,065 posts
  • Handicap:0.9

Posted 18 December 2017 - 05:05 PM

For the scenery alone I’ll have to go with Poipu Bay on Kauai island in Hawaii. I got to play there with my wife on our honeymoon 11 years ago. Still have a ton of bucket list courses I haven’t gotten to visit yet though.

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

#9 Kor.A.Door

Kor.A.Door

AGENT NAME: FT.WORTH

• Members
  • 4,025 posts
  • LocationFort Mill, SC
  • Handicap:5.5

Posted 18 December 2017 - 06:01 PM

Pinehurst #2: $150 plus caddie.

Dormie club: $50
Lefties are always in their Right Mind

#10 DaveP043

DaveP043

TOP-SECRET AGENT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 06:06 PM

Pinehurst #2: $150 plus caddie.

Dormie club: $50

Wow, great prices in both cases!  And great courses too.

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

#11 PlaidJacket

PlaidJacket

AGENT NAME: HUNTINGTON

• Members

• 3,748 posts
  • LocationW. Texas
  • Handicap:63

Posted 18 December 2017 - 07:41 PM

Boy this a tough one.

Honestly as I think about it now; some of the best courses I've played were not the most expensive which many times people seem to equate to the best. When I think of the best I tend to think of the ones I enjoyed most. This doesn't mean shooting the best scores either. Courses I'd play everyday if I had the chance. Interesting courses, great condition, score-able, fair designs, great greens, etc.

For example the Bandon Dunes courses. I enjoyed Pacific Dunes the most of their rotation. The Bandon courses were also the most expensive. Especially when you factor in caddy's. However, I don't think I'd enjoy playing there on a weekly basis. Our green fees were like $250+caddy. (Kenny can you get me the preferred rate next time?) Bandon definitely a fantastic golf experience and I might go again sometime. Highly recommended.

Here's two other courses I've enjoyed and would play over and over.... 

Pine Needles in Southern Pines/Pinehurst area.

$115-125 green fees. Very playable course and interesting in a lot of ways to me. Great condition and fantastic greens. Very fair design. Could play this course day in and day out.

Judge course - Robt. Trent Jones Trail - Capitol Hill  (actually enjoyed all three courses)

$65-75 green fee. Super condition tee to green. Fun layout and great greens. Interesting holes/routing.

Me and my group are sort of done with the $200-250+ green fee courses. Although we still want to get up to Kohler and give those a run.

This next spring me and the boys are considering Caledonia and True Blue + one or two others in the area.

My  :wilson_staff_small:  bag currently includes:    TWGT 771CSI 4i - PW and TWGT PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

TM SLDR 14° D, TWGT 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

Edel Willimette w/SuperStroke Slim

#12 MGoBlue100

MGoBlue100

GRANDMASTER SPY

• Members

• 1,167 posts
  • LocationUpstate SC
  • Handicap:13

Posted 18 December 2017 - 07:49 PM

Arcadia Bluffs, Frankfort, MI. Don’t know if I’ve ever paid the full freight, but believe it was $140 the first time I ever played there. Looks like 2018 Summer rate will be $195. They’re opening up a South Course; can’t wait to play that as well!IMG_0581.JPG

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

:bridgestone-small:  JGR 9.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x (Thanks, MGS!!)
:callaway-small: RAZR Fit Xtreme 15*  Ozik Matrix HD Radix 4x
:cleveland-small:  588 20.5* Hybrid  Ozik Black Tie HM3 95x
:callaway-small: XHOT 22* 4 Hybrid  Callaway Project X Hot Stiff
:mizuno-small: JPX-825 (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x
:ping-small: Glide 2.0 Wedges (50, 54, 58) (Thanks, MGS!!)
MATI Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Mid Slim 2.0  OR...

MLA Pro Xdream Putter 33" Winn midsize pistol (either way, Thanks, MGS!!)
:bridgestone-small: B330-RX

#13 MGoBlue100

MGoBlue100

GRANDMASTER SPY

• Members

• 1,167 posts
  • LocationUpstate SC
  • Handicap:13

Posted 18 December 2017 - 07:55 PM

For the scenery alone I’ll have to go with Poipu Bay on Kauai island in Hawaii. I got to play there with my wife on our honeymoon 11 years ago. Still have a ton of bucket list courses I haven’t gotten to visit yet though.

I was lucky and attended a convention on Hawaii a couple years ago. Beautiful, if not necessarily “good” courses at Waikoloa Resort, but did play Hapuna, which is on high ground above the ocean. Beautiful, and a good track.

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

:bridgestone-small:  JGR 9.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x (Thanks, MGS!!)
:callaway-small: RAZR Fit Xtreme 15*  Ozik Matrix HD Radix 4x
:cleveland-small:  588 20.5* Hybrid  Ozik Black Tie HM3 95x
:callaway-small: XHOT 22* 4 Hybrid  Callaway Project X Hot Stiff
:mizuno-small: JPX-825 (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x
:ping-small: Glide 2.0 Wedges (50, 54, 58) (Thanks, MGS!!)
MATI Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Mid Slim 2.0  OR...

MLA Pro Xdream Putter 33" Winn midsize pistol (either way, Thanks, MGS!!)
:bridgestone-small: B330-RX

#14 JTexGolfer

JTexGolfer

GRANDMASTER SPY

• Members

• 1,065 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 08:02 PM

I was lucky and attended a convention on Hawaii a couple years ago. Beautiful, if not necessarily “good” courses at Waikoloa Resort, but did play Hapuna, which is on high ground above the ocean. Beautiful, and a good track.

I played Hapuna as well. The Big Island isn't nearly as beautiful as Kauai but the course was in great shape and fun to play. Arnold Palmer design if I recall correctly. 

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

#15 JTexGolfer

JTexGolfer

GRANDMASTER SPY

• Members

• 1,065 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 08:02 PM

Arcadia Bluffs, Frankfort, MI. Don’t know if I’ve ever paid the full freight, but believe it was $140 the first time I ever played there. Looks like 2018 Summer rate will be $195. They’re opening up a South Course; can’t wait to play that as well!attachicon.gifIMG_0581.JPG

That looks like it could be a ski slalom course in winter! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors

Our Sponsors

Latest Status Updates

Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      13 Jul
    tlesirge

Retired and now loving my golf. Trouble is developed golf elbow. Any suggestions folks

Show comments (1)
  • Photo
      11 Jul
    Macdiesel

Anyone out there wear or have worn New Balance spikes? In my opinion they make a pretty good shoe. As of late they have worked there way into the baseball scene and appears they have done quite well.

Show comments (1)
View All Updates

Our Sponsors