GolfSpy MPR

Tiger's Nike ball was a Bridgestone

Josh,
It's absolutely a fair point you're making. And I'd add this (that is a pretty uncontroversial opinion on this forum): even if you could buy exactly the club or ball that Rory or whoever is playing, that doesn't mean that it would have any value for your own game.
But let me suggest a counterpoint. Car manufacturers spend a lot of money on professional auto racing. And yet we all recognize that there is almost nothing whatsoever "stock" about NASCAR. Nonetheless, winning at the highest level of racing (I'm thinking here of brands like Mercedes and Ferrari) help fortify the impression that these brands are capable of producing top-notch machines.
I think something similar is not unreasonable with golf brands. Sure, I don't for a moment think I'm pulling Cameron Champ's PING driver off the shelf. But the fact that PING has engineered a club capable of doing that in his hands gives me some measure of confidence that their consumer products are well-designed.

Very good point, but when NASCAR lost the “stock car” part they lost a lot of fans.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 1

I wonder how shocked most here would be to learn that their beloved store brand products (specifically Costco's Kirkland brand) are made by other companies (and most times the companies the store brands are directly competing with).  
Heck, does the average consumer know that an Apple iphone is mostly comprised of parts made by Samsung? Probably not.

@jlukes. That is so true!

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Another interesting post from the main MGS Twitter account relevant to this thread:

The claim (for those not following the Twitter link) is that Tiger's current Bridgestone ball is an off-the-shelf model.

• Like 3

What a great discussion - MPR articulated the only point that I would make earlier.

I guess I get jacustom’s concerns but would reply don’t spend $650 on the big OEM driver. Instead of you have the 650 go get a driver custom built for yourself.

Personally I wouldn’t spend $1 on any club in a touring pro’s bag except perhaps a stray putter that might fit me or Harrington’s Eye 2 wedge. Other than that the clubs would be of no value to me.

Like any consumer I receive some validation from the fact that lots of guys on tour use Ping G400 drivers and Ping Irons.

There are plenty of good enough balls on the market that fit my game - I just need to pick one for the upcoming season, buy 3 dozen and be done with it - probably last years TMag Tp5x although I’m considering the optic Pro V1x - then I’d get 4 dozen customized.

Bottom line - I know what works for my game and am comfortable in that skin. Bridgestone makes a good golf ball - Nike did for a time too - whatever brand Tiger is using is going to be made exclusively for him and it’s not going to be the best choice for most players even those on tour.

• Like 4

There are so many one offs for pros vs what is at retail. Tolerances on heads and shafts are alteady a given although the increase in performance on tour heads is very minimal from retail head. 

Look at the various TM proto irons that came out that were differnt than the p730.  Pros are trying to dial in a specific shot shape, trajectory, feel and so on. 

Here’s an example i saw regarding the Callaway staff and what they are playing in regards to epic flash 

confirmed Phil was still using rogue last week

Pros using Triple Diamond:
Ollie Schniederjans
Robert Garrigus
Patrick Rodgers
Marc Leishman
JJ Spaun

Pros Using Normal:
Brandon Grace
Jonathon Byrd

Have not Seen Yet:
Aaron Wise
Daniel Berger
Sergio Garcia
Henrik Stenson

• Like 1

Guy at the Bridgestone fitting booth at Wells Fargo said it was true.

• Like 1

Guy at the Bridgestone fitting booth at Wells Fargo said it was true.

He said what was true exactly?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blackngold_blood said:

He said what was true exactly?

My guess is what tiger himself has said and what’s been known around for golf forever but neither company would acknowledge and that being Nike balls were made by Bridgestone 

• Like 2

My guess is what tiger himself has said and what’s been known around for golf forever but neither company would acknowledge and that being Nike balls were made by Bridgestone 

But just because they were produced in a Bridgestone factory doesn’t mean they are a Bridgestone ball. That is why I wanted clarification. People make blanket statements like that with nothing to back it up.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, blackngold_blood said:

But just because they were produced in a Bridgestone factory doesn’t mean they are a Bridgestone ball. That is why I wanted clarification. People make blanket statements like that with nothing to back it up.

They were a Bridgestone ball stamped with a Nike logo. 

• Like 1

Tiger actually plays the off the shelf Tour B XS model. Bridgestone is just selling a Tiger version with his personal stampings as well cause Tiger. But for all intents and purposes the ball Tiger plays in each round is the same that can be bought off the shelf.

I agree that this is a non story (especially since most of the golf community knew that Bridgestone was making balls for Nike.
Heck, even the Bridgestone ball that Tiger plays new is specially made for him - it's not some off the shelf model.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

They were a Bridgestone ball stamped with a Nike logo. 

Is there proof of this? Are we talking all Nike balls or just Tiger’s? I remember hearing Nike patents, designs, and R&D but produced in the Bridgestone plant. Which if true means they are Nike balls produced by Bridgestone.

• Like 2

Tiger actually plays the off the shelf Tour B XS model. Bridgestone is just selling a Tiger version with his personal stampings as well cause Tiger. But for all intents and purposes the ball Tiger plays in each round is the same that can be bought off the shelf.

I find this hard to believe seeing Tiger is the most particular golfer in the world.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, blackngold_blood said:

I find this hard to believe seeing Tiger is the most particular golfer in the world.

It came straight from tiger and it was all Nike balls. When Nike got into the golf game they had no ball. Tigers clubs have all been made by miura too as were Rory’s for a long time..they were just stamped with whatever his sponsor was

• Like 1

Hard to believe yes, but I trust the source. It came up in the TXG/GolfWRX episode of The 14 after he won The Masters. I don't have a timestamp on hand but the entire episode is worth a listen, imo.

• Like 1

What a great discussion - MPR articulated the only point that I would make earlier.

I guess I get jacustom’s concerns but would reply don’t spend $650 on the big OEM driver. Instead of you have the 650 go get a driver custom built for yourself.

Personally I wouldn’t spend $1 on any club in a touring pro’s bag except perhaps a stray putter that might fit me or Harrington’s Eye 2 wedge. Other than that the clubs would be of no value to me.

Like any consumer I receive some validation from the fact that lots of guys on tour use Ping G400 drivers and Ping Irons.

There are plenty of good enough balls on the market that fit my game - I just need to pick one for the upcoming season, buy 3 dozen and be done with it - probably last years TMag Tp5x although I’m considering the optic Pro V1x - then I’d get 4 dozen customized.

Bottom line - I know what works for my game and am comfortable in that skin. Bridgestone makes a good golf ball - Nike did for a time too - whatever brand Tiger is using is going to be made exclusively for him and it’s not going to be the best choice for most players even those on tour.

Good points here...not sure how I missed it originally.

If there was ever a testament of how a certain Tour pros ball is wrong for the masses, look no further than the Ryder Cup.

Steve Stricker was the only guy who would willingly play Four-ball with Tiger. TW wouldn’t relent when it came to playing his ball while others would either play the same or compromise.
  • Like 1

I played the Nike ball for years and there was a noticeable difference when I tested out the Bridgestone balls after Nike stopped making hard goods in cover design, so I'm more apt to believe Nike designed their own balls, but outsourced manufacturing to Bridgestone. I have no evidence to support either claim however. Only my own eyes having played every Nike tour ball since the One Platinum days in the mid-2000s.

Is there proof of this? Are we talking all Nike balls or just Tiger’s? I remember hearing Nike patents, designs, and R&D but produced in the Bridgestone plant. Which if true means they are Nike balls produced by Bridgestone.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, FrogginBullfish said:

I played the Nike ball for years and there was a noticeable difference when I tested out the Bridgestone balls after Nike stopped making hard goods in cover design, so I'm more apt to believe Nike designed their own balls, but outsourced manufacturing to Bridgestone. I have no evidence to support either claim however. Only my own eyes having played every Nike tour ball since the One Platinum days in the mid-2000s.

Nike eventually had a ball division Rock Ishii was the lead but tiger continued to play the Bridgestone ball stamped with Nike. He is very particular in his gear which is why mike Taylor is still his club guy. Bridgestone continued to be where the Nike ball was made 

Hard to believe yes, but I trust the source. It came up in the TXG/GolfWRX episode of The 14 after he won The Masters. I don't have a timestamp on hand but the entire episode is worth a listen, imo.

Still not completely buying it. Even if Tiger himself came out and said "The balls I won The Masters with were bought by my caddy that morning at Golf Galaxy", I would still be skeptical. It seems all golfers will say whatever the sponsors tell them to say.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using MyGolfSpy mobile app