golfinnut

TaylorMade Soft Response

Our Sponsors

I thought "Soft was Slow?"   What gives?  Are we testing this one out yet?  

TM_BALL.jpg.70d4d3d78f4f56636acad413ba149ae9.jpg

Soft is slow but no one ever soft was short. With that said companies know that there is a market for soft balls and lower prices so we will continue to see balls in that category. Many amateurs haven’t heard of or read the mgs ball study so they concept of soft is slow and finditcutit don’t register with them

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Soft is slow but no one ever soft was short. With that said companies know that there is a market for soft balls and lower prices so we will continue to see balls in that category. Many amateurs haven’t heard of or read the mgs ball study so they concept of soft is slow and finditcutit don’t register with them

Well they should ..... cause they're missing out!  😀

• Like 1

Reminds of of a 1996 song by the Fugi’s.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, golfinnut said:

Well they should ..... cause they're missing out!  😀

Not to mention the chance to be on mgs and get a chance to get free stuff. 🤪

• Like 2

... I am a fan of marketing getting our attention because it provides information that gets us in the ball park for any given product. It is obviously then up to us to explore further and find what works best. So I rarely point a finger at any OEM for engaging in misleading hype. But Taylor Made has gone off the rails with this one. 

"Utilizing a technology similar to the hottest Tour ball in golf (TP5/TP5x), the 3-piece Tour Response ball is designed to deliver fast ball speeds."

... You just can't get more misleading than this claim. A 3 piece ball with a soft 40 compression core has almost nothing in 
common with a 5 piece ball with a firmer core. All 5 levels combine for a very unique performance from every layer and the faster your swing speed the more each layer comes into play. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, chisag said:

... I am a fan of marketing getting our attention because it provides information that gets us in the ball park for any given product. It is obviously then up to us to explore further and find what works best. So I rarely point a finger at any OEM for engaging in misleading hype. But Taylor Made has gone off the rails with this one. 

"Utilizing a technology similar to the hottest Tour ball in golf (TP5/TP5x), the 3-piece Tour Response ball is designed to deliver fast ball speeds."

... You just can't get more misleading than this claim. A 3 piece ball with a soft 40 compression core has almost nothing in 
common with a 5 piece ball with a firmer core. All 5 levels combine for a very unique performance from every layer and the faster your swing speed the more each layer comes into play. 

Friendly note here guys, Chisag is talking about the Tour Response, which is positioned to be the Project(a) replacement from TM, not the Soft Response which replaced Project(s). Just clearing that up.

Also, he's right, this is total bupkis at least about the core, I do think they're using a similar cover to the TP5/5X on Tour Response.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Berg Ryman said:

Friendly note here guys, Chisag is talking about the Tour Response, which is positioned to be the Project(a) replacement from TM, not the Soft Response which replaced Project(s). Just clearing that up.

Also, he's right, this is total bupkis at least about the core, I do think they're using a similar cover to the TP5/5X on Tour Response.

They aren’t claiming the core is the same. They are very careful in their wording to similar so that they can’t be sued for misleading information by using exact or same technology. They take what they know from the tp5 and build that into the design of this ball.  

I liked the P(a) so I'll be sure to give these a shot. Knowing TM I'll probably end up with a few sleeves in the mail, which would be nice 😄

• Like 1

I got in a huge (relative speaking) argument over this. I stated and believe most golfers see more benefits from higher compression balls. The advantages there are across the board higher. 

he basically said I was making it up and I was saying compression does not matter. blah blah blah....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've made a 3D printed ball marker to make the Clear path Alignment. 

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?icep_ff3=2&pub=5575378759&campid=5338273189&customid=&icep_item=202893527092&ipn=psmain&icep_vectorid=229466&kwid=902099&mtid=824&kw=lg&toolid=11111

20200130_172045.jpg

• Like 2
  • Off Topic 1

Nice, did it help with putting?

I tried a “Tour Response” last week, from TMade Rep........great feel, good distance, great control!

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

On 2/3/2020 at 3:13 PM, Berg Ryman said:

Chisag is pretty well up to date on stuff--- I was wondering how these would compare to the Project A? I like the Project A in the cooler weather and vintage play.  Remember I have a slower swing speed now and they do compress well for me but I lose distance in warm weather with any of the soft balls. So with the new TM balls coming out the Project A balls may be reduced price

• Like 2

On 2/10/2020 at 7:49 AM, fozcycle said:

I tried a “Tour Response” last week, from TMade Rep........great feel, good distance, great control!

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Ok Fozzy that sounds pretty positive to me since we are about the same age and I assume we have similar swing speeds

• Like 1

Awesome I made one for triple track. I'd love to try this out if you don't mind sharing your file.

Edit: Totally glazed over you were selling it that's awesome hope you get some bits.

Using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

As a long-time user of Project (a), I'll definitely be giving the Tour Response a whirl. I want to say that the P(a) was a mid compression around 85 so it will be interesting to see if there is any feel/performance difference. I wouldn't want to see it be any softer than it is though as it feels and plays outstanding. Too much softer and it would definitely be a different ball.  

My guess is that Taylormade needed a reboot for the marketing for these balls. IMO, they've been a "under the radar" ball ever since they've been released and they're such a good ball that discontinuing would be a shame. Additionally, my hope is that they're not trying to push higher ss players 105+ mph into the more pricey lineup TP5/X by lowering the compression. Nothing wrong with the TP5 in the slightest but I've always noticed minimal performance/feel/durability difference with the $30 box of P(a)'s vs the $50 TP5's. 

Time will tell.. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, azstu324 said:

As a long-time user of Project (a), I'll definitely be giving the Tour Response a whirl. I want to say that the P(a) was a mid compression around 85 so it will be interesting to see if there is any feel/performance difference. I wouldn't want to see it be any softer than it is though as it feels and plays outstanding. Too much softer and it would definitely be a different ball.  

My guess is that Taylormade needed a reboot for the marketing for these balls. IMO, they've been a "under the radar" ball ever since they've been released and they're such a good ball that discontinuing would be a shame. Additionally, my hope is that they're not trying to push higher ss players 105+ mph into the more pricey lineup TP5/X by lowering the compression. Nothing wrong with the TP5 in the slightest but I've always noticed minimal performance/feel/durability difference with the $30 box of P(a)'s vs the $50 TP5's. 

Time will tell.. 

... While I still take issue with TaylorMade's claim that the Tour Response is "Utilizing a technology similar to the hottest Tour ball in golf (TP5/TP5x)" that is just a marketing faux pax and has nothing to do with actual performance. I need more spin for my short game so the TP5x works much better for me, and is also a little longer yards off the tee, but to be fair it does spin plenty for most golfers. Being a GolfPass member they send me a free dozen every year and I give them to my son who carries his driver 280 and spins the ball around the green, just not max spin and the Project A is his favorite ball. He feels like it doesn't fade or draw as much as the TP5x. I will buy him a dozen Tour Response this spring and see how he likes them.

• Like 1

... While I still take issue with TaylorMade's claim that the Tour Response is "Utilizing a technology similar to the hottest Tour ball in golf (TP5/TP5x)" that is just a marketing faux pax and has nothing to do with actual performance. I need more spin for my short game so the TP5x works much better for me, and is also a little longer yards off the tee, but to be fair it does spin plenty for most golfers. Being a GolfPass member they send me a free dozen every year and I give them to my son who carries his driver 280 and spins the ball around the green, just not max spin and the Project A is his favorite ball. He feels like it doesn't fade or draw as much as the TP5x. I will buy him a dozen Tour Response this spring and see how he likes them.
To both of our points, I had 3 choices on how to spend $30-$35 today. My intent was to buy a box of the TM tour response for $35.. however to my surprise, the TP5 pix were on sale for $29! They literally were a hidden gem in the store as they were in a display stand by the gloves and not with the balls. Additionally my trusty P(a)'s were on sale for $29.

Without even thinking twice I picked up the TP5's and forewent the Tour Responses and P(a)'s. In this scenario they really were the best value between the 3.

the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get..

• Like 2