Sirchunks blade experiment and restoration

Our Sponsors

I appreciate it! It's tough, but I'm hoping it'll make me better. 

BTW the camera does add 50 lbs , in my case 60

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Haha 1

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Titleist TSi2, Kuro Kage 50 gr R2

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous Vista Pro R2

Irons; Ping G710 6-GW, Recoil 460 R2

Putter; Waaay too many to list

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So, as many of you saw over in the “What Have You Bought Lately” thread, I went to a thrift store and found an older set of blades. I was originally going to just get a single iron to play with from t

I took the wife out to the course and played my first round with the Wilson's. I only played nine holes due to having other places to go afterward, plus I was expecting a complete and total disaster o

I might have done a thing.... These are not super old clubs, coming out in 2002/2003, but they are sharp! I got a better look at them today and they're the Hogan Shafts in a 3 (regular) flex. Hav

Posted Images

I played 9 holes today with a full bag of classic clubs, which I've posted about in both the 2020 Hard Rock Challenge thread and How'd you play, so I won't recount the details. What I will say is, I'm loving the irons. I don't think I could have asked for a better head/shaft combo than what I found and feel truly blessed to have found the whole set. They just work for me. They fly straight and when I stand over them, I'm not scared of them at all. I'm confident when I look down and see a 19° 2 iron with no offset and a small head that I'll hit a good shot. It's crazy, but I was expecting to be shaking in my boots hitting it.

The persimmons need a lot of work, I only made good contact once today and that was when I already hit my playing drive and dropped another ball for practice. I didn't have anyone behind me on the course today and did take the opportunity to get in a little on course practice in. 

I'll probably bench the persimmons for rounds until I can get some more range time in to figure them out. 

• Like 8
I played 9 holes today with a full bag of classic clubs, which I've posted about in both the 2020 Hard Rock Challenge thread and How'd you play, so I won't recount the details. What I will say is, I'm loving the irons. I don't think I could have asked for a better head/shaft combo than what I found and feel truly blessed to have found the whole set. They just work for me. They fly straight and when I stand over them, I'm not scared of them at all. I'm confident when I look down and see a 19° 2 iron with no offset and a small head that I'll hit a good shot. It's crazy, but I was expecting to be shaking in my boots hitting it.
The persimmons need a lot of work, I only made good contact once today and that was when I already hit my playing drive and dropped another ball for practice. I didn't have anyone behind me on the course today and did take the opportunity to get in a little on course practice in. 
I'll probably bench the persimmons for rounds until I can get some more range time in to figure them out. 

I’m sure you’ll do fine but will have a learning curve.

• Like 1

Rick

Left Hand, 

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

On 7/1/2020 at 3:56 PM, sirchunksalot said:

I want to say thank you to @deejaid, when we were talking a couple of weeks ago he mentioned he had some 1930's persimmon woods he was looking to re-home and asked if I would be interested for only the price of shipping. I said yes and today they arrived. IMG_2444.thumb.jpg.8d00a882ac9af378da4475ed831968b3.jpg.cb87a648333c895d78e3b71a210b626a.jpg

I'm using his photo, I took them out and looked them over and it them back in the box until I can build a display. They are beautiful! I'm planning on making a spot in the spare room to work on clubs and figure they'll look good in there. As soon as the wife clears out the stuff we're wanting to put in a yard sale.

I also stopped by today at the thrift store and picked up a single iron to clean up and it'll probably become part of the display. 20200701_165832-01.jpeg.2b043f66c693b04b16f978722c7a852d.jpeg20200701_173002-01.jpeg.6fe0df8bcf158888bcc8177b95832afa.jpeg20200701_165837-01.jpeg.62571cdabd63f1f892c1275df813fa57.jpeg20200701_173008-01.jpeg.b5beeba52035e22cc602948adf24eeb8.jpeg

Initially I was going to just get this one, but found the full set and went with them. I regretted not picking up the Hogan, so I rectified that mistake today. I've never hit a Hogan, so it'll go to the range. I did hit some foam balls with it, but I want to see how it feels. Now if I can only find a full set of old Mizuno irons... I'll probably just keep dreaming, I don't see anyone dropping them off at a thrift store. Eventually, though. 

Uh oh, me thinks someone has gone down a bunny hole and may never return 😄.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

28 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

I swear, I don't find buying old clubs completely and totally addicting....

Just partially and somewhat?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

9 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Just partially and somewhat?

I'll promise you that if it weren't for how things are in the world right now, I would drive to Florida just to hit thrift stores and I detest driving through Atlanta. With a passion. I can only imagine the thrifty goodness that's been squirreled away down there. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
16 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

I'll promise you that if it weren't for how things are in the world right now, I would drive to Florida just to hit thrift stores and I detest driving through Atlanta. With a passion. I can only imagine the thrifty goodness that's been squirreled away down there. 

Myrtle Beach might be another good place to look and you could avoid Atlanta 🙂  

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

6 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Myrtle Beach might be another good place to look and you could avoid Atlanta 🙂  

I didn't even think about that....you can't throw a stone in Myrtle Beach without hitting a golf course and there would be a lot of older clubs there. 

I've only been there once back around 1997 when I was still in the beginning stages of playing. I did play Possum Trot with the ex in-laws and regret not playing more courses. 

• Like 4

Buying vintage clubs vs new clubs is like shopping at a TJ Maxx vs JC Penney. You want the new club, you know where to find it. If you are looking for a certain vintage club it is the thrill of the hunt, you never know what you’ll find.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 6

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

23 minutes ago, deejaid said:

Buying vintage clubs vs new clubs is like shopping at a TJ Maxx vs JC Penney. You want the new club, you know where to find it. If you are looking for a certain vintage club it is the thrill of the hunt, you never know what you’ll find.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I love me some TJ Maxx, that's for sure. My wife and I stopped by there today and I picked up some socks and an Under Armour polo. You're right, the thrill of the hunt is addicting and under all that rust is a beautiful discovery waiting to happen. 

I swear, I don't find buying old clubs completely and totally addicting....

Right......

Rick

Left Hand, 

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

Myrtle Beach might be another good place to look and you could avoid Atlanta   

Big Stu’s stomping ground. He can hook you up!

• Like 3

Rick

Left Hand, 

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

Fun topic! I just regripped a set of Wilson SwingLite irons. I am strongly considering playing them this week, but have NO clue the distances compared to my current irons.

• Like 1
  • :tour-edge: EXS Driver
  • :cobra-small: King F8 3w
  • :titelist-small: 818 H1 Hybrid
  • :nike-small:VR-S Forged 5-PW
  • :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour PMP 56*
  • :wilson_staff_small: Infinite Lake Shore
33 minutes ago, KurtActual said:

Fun topic! I just regripped a set of Wilson SwingLite irons. I am strongly considering playing them this week, but have NO clue the distances compared to my current irons.

A quick google can give you the lofts and then you can compare them to your gamers

• Like 2
1 hour ago, tommc23 said:

A quick google can give you the lofts and then you can compare them to your gamers

Unfortunately there is next to zero information on these irons.

• Sad 1
  • :tour-edge: EXS Driver
  • :cobra-small: King F8 3w
  • :titelist-small: 818 H1 Hybrid
  • :nike-small:VR-S Forged 5-PW
  • :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour PMP 56*
  • :wilson_staff_small: Infinite Lake Shore
1 hour ago, KurtActual said:

Unfortunately there is next to zero information on these irons.

I hate hearing that, I saw your post earlier asking about these and l looked on ironfinder.com a and couldn't find any information. Hopefully deejaid can find something for you. I would conservatively play them with a two club distance loss and see how they perform. Best of luck to you!

• Like 1

Brilliant thread, I can't believe it's taken me this long to find it!! The persimmons are a totally different beast than our new drivers, I would try teeing them down for a start.

Oh and I think you will get me in trouble, I am feeling the need to get myself some old lefties.

• Like 4

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3 Hybrid - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 4-PW - True Temper XP95 Reg
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° -True Temper XP95 Reg
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: Two Bar Hybrid
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 for the #cobraconnectchallenge3