Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Vintage Iron Database?

KurtActual

I recently purchased a set of Wilson SwingLite irons 3-9i. They're in like-new condition, only needing new grips.

Is there somewhere I can find data on these old clubs? Lofts? Manufacture dates? Etc?

Would be interested in other makes and models, but these in particular.

Thanks!

Tiger is the GOAT, change my mind.

I've had success googling specific clubs or heading over to https://forums.golfwrx.com/categories/classic-golf-and-golfers

:mizuno-small: ST 200 9.5°, Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 S

:mizuno-small: ST 200 3w 15°, Diamana S+ 60 S

:srixon-small: Z H85 3h 19°, Project X Hzrdus Black Hybrid 6.0

:taylormade-small: P770 (2017) 4-PW, KBS Tour FLT 120 S

:vokey-small: SM8 50.08F, 54.14F, 58.08M, KBS Tour S

:ping-small: Sigma 2 Fetch 34"

:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

So there are pics from eBay listings. I seem to remember these from the 70's/80's..... I think. Looked in one of my old club identification guides and they are not listed. There have been several older brands (Wilson/Macgregor) that had models for like department store/retail that are not listed sometimes in club guides. Thinking this line was available through department store like Sears/JC Penney back in the day. Could be wrong. Hope others chime in. Now I am interested in knowing. 🤔

Digging as deep as I could I found multiple advertisements from department stores circa 1985 listing the Wilson Swinglite clubs for sale. From what I can gather the heads were 15% lighter than standard heads and they cost $199 new. I’m not sure if that was for the irons only or with woods too.

If you are willing to sign up for a 1-week free trail at newspapers.com you can find the ads there (they want a CC # to Bill after the first week).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

Big box or not, older irons always look so dang good!  

Driver: Cobra Speedzone 10.5 Mitsubishi AV Blue S flex

Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 3-4 Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue (low launch original version) S flex

Hybrids: Taylormade GAPR 3 KBS graphite shaft

Strata 4 and 5 hybrids R flex

Irons: Strata 6-PW R flex

Wedges: Texan Classics 52, 56, 60 R flex

Putter: Odyssey Red Ball mallet

Ball: Srixon Q Star Tour

32 minutes ago, deejaid said:

Digging as deep as I could I found multiple advertisements from department stores circa 1985 listing the Wilson Swinglite clubs for sale. From what I can gather the heads were 15% lighter than standard heads and they cost $199 new. I’m not sure if that was for the irons only or with woods too.

If you are willing to sign up for a 1-week free trail at newspapers.com you can find the ads there (they want a CC # to Bill after the first week).

Awesome. Wow $199...... Those were the days 😀

So one other interesting thing or at least I like this kind of stuff regarding vintage clubs, I use to have notes from another golf site forum in which a collector or former PGA professional use to sell Wilson/Wilson Staff. He knew company history, and details on how to tell the decade a iron was produced. I know circa 1970 Pepsi Co bought Wilson. Several ownership changes since. Something about the style and paint fill colors stamped on sole of Wilsons would alway be key for determining age/decade of production. Can't find my notes. About all I have an old club identification (not many pics unfortunately).

I really wish someone would build a web site with all the companies and every single model ever produced with specs, etc. I sometimes think that would kick off a whole new vintage club business environment again and/or breathe life back in the vintage collector market. Oh well just me rambling. 

I like to use Ironfinder.com, though they dont have everything.  And I have the Maltby guide, which is pretty good, but it generally doesn't have dept. store product.

Which is why Brother deejaid's idea is so awesome.  Searching the depths of the archives should get you all sorts of results.

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

1 hour ago, sirchunksalot said:

Those look absolutely gorgeous, big box clubs or not! Wilson knocks it out of the park when it comes to making classy, good looking clubs. 

I remember a kid that I played golf with. He didn't have the best home life if you know what I mean but he worked and saved his $$. He bought a set of Wilson Sam Snead "Blue Ridge Specials" from Sears I think. We played a high school match against a kid that was a top junior golfer and had stupid nice clubs. Like at that time persimmon woods from Macgregor like the tour pro's had and like custom grind irons. But the kid had attitude. Anyway he spouted off at my friend for getting his spot on the driving range. Guess he thought he owned it. Fast forward and the guy cards a crowd pleasing 84... Heck I had off day that day and shot a 77. My friend with the store bought clubs carded a 71. Loved it. Over the years I have thought about that round and those Blue Ridge Specials. And to be honest they looked better than my Wilson Staff's I played at the time. I probably should have asked my parents for those instead of the ones I did. 😀

Here are the specs for 1989 Wilson Staff blades. Considering they still had a 50* PW in 1989 I’d be willing to bet the 1985 specs were similar. Probably a good guess for your clubs.

Club Loft Lie
1 18 56
2 20 57
3 23 58
4 26 59
5 30 60
6 34 60
7 38 61
8 42 62
9 46 62
P 50 63
S 55 64

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

Would it be worth reaching out to Wilson directly? See if they have any info they are willing to share?

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

11 hours ago, deejaid said:

Here are the specs for 1989 Wilson Staff blades. Considering they still had a 50* PW in 1989 I’d be willing to bet the 1985 specs were similar. Probably a good guess for your clubs.

Club Loft Lie
1 18 56
2 20 57
3 23 58
4 26 59
5 30 60
6 34 60
7 38 61
8 42 62
9 46 62
P 50 63
S 55 64

Dr. @deejaid I cannot thank you enough. They are about 4-5* off from my current irons, shouldnt be a huge issue getting these into play, just club up one iron compared to my current gamers.

46 minutes ago, MaxEntropy said:

Would it be worth reaching out to Wilson directly? See if they have any info they are willing to share?

I'll give it a shot, you're right. Nothing to lose. Thanks for the idea.

Tiger is the GOAT, change my mind.