2020 Official Member Review: Ben Hogan Golf ComPany-VKTR+, UiHi and GS53 FW

Our Sponsors

When you're got that long shot into a par 5 and need the club to get you there, or maybe you're on the tee of a tight par 4 and hitting the fairway is paramount, Ben Hogan Golf has you covered, with choices ranging from utility iron, hybrid or fairway wood.   And so do 18 of our members who are putting all of these models to the test, you'll read about players from regular to X-Stiff flex, so at least a couple of them should have feedback on your particular desired option.

Read the ongoing comments from them as they put these into play, and then comeback for their final review to see how the clubs performed over the long haul for them.

BenHogan_VKTR_hybrid-2-600x403.jpg

Testing the VKTR+ Hybrid:

@Nolan220

@Siamese Moose

@ChitownM2

@TCUFrog

@Shank Aaron

@oaks

Testing the UiHi Utility Iron:

@twyatt700

@kardboard.kid

@scooterhd2

@gbtrsc

@jb0330

@longdrivenate

Testing the GS53 3 wood:

@golfish!

@AGutierrez7

@J.B. TexasEx

@josmi15

@goaliewales14

@Crowev01

PLEASE NO ONE POST Until ALL Placeholders are in Place!  Thank You

• Like 6

:titelist-small: TS1 Fubuki 45g R Flex

:ping-small:  G410 FW 5, 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T100S/T200 Combo 5-7 T100S 8-P T200 TT Black Oynx R Flex

:titelist-small: SM7 54.08 F 58.12 K 

:scotty-small:  Phantom 5.5   35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Greeting MGS family, and Thank You Ben Hogan Golf.  I’m somewhat know around this forum, but for those who may be new, I’m Tim (Kardboard.kid).  The name is a play on my profession.  I’m a Corrugated

Hey everyone! I’m a relative newbie around here as I just joined the forum back in March and I do have to say this is an absolutely fantastic online community with a great mix of knowledge and fun. I’

Hello Everyone!  Evan Crowder here, a passionate golfer with a dream to change the game. I'm very honored to have been selected for this test, and thanks to MGS and Ben Hogan. I am beyond excited

Posted Images

Placeholder 

:ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway Wood 5  :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:taylormade-small: 3 Rescue Hybrid

:ping-small:  4 G Crossover

:cobra-small: F8 Single Length Irons 5-GW OBAN CT-100 shafts 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter

:Arccos: All clubs use Arccos 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

Club: Ben Hogan VKTR+ hybrid, H3 (18°), with a Recoil ES 75 shaft in regular flex (F3)

I'll be coming back to update this, but seeing as the weather forecast means it's unlikely I'll get to the course anytime in the next ten days, I wanted to get up my early impressions.

First thoughts: If you're a better player looking for a low launch hybrid that can be worked without a left side bias, this might be your club.

Who I am: I am 61, 5'7", 138', and one year off shoulder surgery that chipped into my swing speed. I am still fairly athletic, and am competitive to guys 20 years younger in bike racing. I was recently fitted for a driver, and found my current swingspeed is 94 with a quick tempo. I am currently taking lessons to build a swing that eases up on that shoulder, as well as a damaged lower back. I started those lessons as a a 13, and ten weeks in am down to 5.8. Across the board with all clubs I am low launch and low spin.

What I'm looking for: I am primarily a fairway woods guy. My best club (outside my putter) is probably my 7 wood (Cobra F9), which is the club I compared this hybrid to. I would like to replace my 5 iron with a hybrid, but have not found one better than hitting the iron so far. I asked in on this test in the hope of finding that 5i replacement. I would have preferred getting the 5H (26°) to test, but the 3H was what was offered. Still, I hope the 3 helps me decide on the 5.

Looks: 7/10

This is very much an old school, traditionally shaped hybrid. Compared to most of the latest offerings from other makers, which seem to be moving to a "mini-wood" design, this is much blockier. 

308726812_HybridComparison.jpg.6c34e2249c3ab4e0cac3bbd22fed6819.jpg(Thanks go out to Eric Hensler of Miles of Golf Cincinnati for lending me the other clubs for this comparison picture.) The overall finish is gorgeous, and I especially like the way the soleplate looks. At address the club looks like it's sitting slightly closed, but when I checked it with both a triangle and club gauge it's dead square. I understand this is common with many woods and hybrids, and some designers round off the toe to change the look so players aren't freaked out about going left. There's no effort to do that here. Loft and lie are dead on spec, at 18° and 57° (lie spec is 57.5°, but I can't measure better than whole figures). Length is 40.5" with my gauge, spec is 40.25". Swingweight spec is D2, but I measured D5. That's the only spec that I would consider off, though that's a change that fits my personal preferences. Per the sticker on the plastic wrap, the headweight is 239.0g, total club weight is 362g. The included headcover looks awesome.

222543706_HoganVKTRhybridnew.jpg.f1cc2230cfe0a2fec4d230231c968e20.jpg

Sound and Feel: 9/10

I am not particularly sensitive to feel, so my impression is mostly sound, which is a nice solid "thwack". (It's got a nice echo in a driving range stall.) The shaft has a nice neutral feel, not too whippy or boardy. Felt slightly stiff for an R flex, and not as tip soft as I expected for a mid-high launch spec.

Playing Characteristics: 8/20

So far my time with the club is limited to range work, and only on mats (the grass tees were sodden). These numbers are from a chilly day (45° to 50°) and into a breeze of about one club. This range has a Toptracer system, which is where I got the numbers. I wish I had taken pictures of the Toptracer screen at the range. I thought the tracer pictures and dispersion ovals were available on the app for me to look at at home, but the app only gives me the numbers. This chart is compared to my 7 wood (I edited out mishits):

866756356_HoganStats.jpg.b81035ebc67dffc1e5daa45918de55e2.jpg

For my swing, this club launches crazy low. I'm actually surprised that the height was 18 yards, as I didn't think it looked that high. My mishits were worm burners, with the occasional high flare. I really wish I had the dispersion numbers, because that was quite good. I was consistently straight, mostly with a baby draw (which is my stock iron shape). I can fade a wood, but I have great trouble fading irons, and I could get a little fade out of the hybrid. Not even once did I get the surprise hook that I've had with other traditional hybrids. In the end, I don't see how I could use this club for approach shots. The launch and landing angles are way too low, but as I said above, my swing is low launch and low spin for everything. I'd love to see how this club worked for a high launch player.

On Course Performance: To be updated

In a better world I would have this section complete, but our forecast is miserable (and we're going into December in Ohio), and I don't foresee the opportunity to play in the foreseeable future. I will come back and edit this, but I didn't want to risk a delay that might stretch this unreasonably late.

Miscellaneous: 6/10

I really liked the feel of the shaft. It seems a little firm for an R flex, but certainly not up to a stiff. Hogan lists it as mid-high launch and mid-spin. I'd hate to see my results if this had a low launch shaft in it. At my height, if I put it in the bag I would probably shorten it 1/2", but at the current length the lie angle was perfect. The grip was a Lamkin Z5, which is a model I don't see on Lamkin's site. I normally use a Lamkin grip (Crossline), but this one feels rather rubbery and cheap. It's nominally standard size, but I measured it at +1/32". 

Play It Or Trade It: 4/20

For my low launch swing, this club is kryptonite. In retrospect, I'm the wrong guy to review a hybrid, and you absolutely need to remember that when you look at my ratings. To be fair to the club, I would like to get it into the hands of someone better suited to this design. I will get it out on the course, and update this review, but after that I would like to pass it on to somebody who thinks it would work for them. If you're that person, drop me a message.

Overall (pending update): 34/70

Edited by Siamese Moose

Moose, my cat, is Siamese

Placeholder

:taylormade-small: M6, 9.0, Tensei CK Orange 60, Stiff

:taylormade-small: M6, Rocket 13.0, Atmos Red 60, Stiff

:taylormade-small: RocketBallz, 4H 22.0

:mizuno-small: JPX 900 Tour, 4-PW, True Temper Dynamic gold S300

:callaway-small: Mack Daddy 4, 52.0, 56.0, 60.0 - S grind

:taylormade-small: Spider Mini

:bridgestone-small: Tour-RX

:Arccos: Smart Sensors

Placeholder

Driver- Mavrik 9* Fuji Motore X F1 6X

3W- Mavrik Aldila Rogue White 6S

5W- Mavrik Aldila Rogue White 6S

4H- Sub_70 939X UST Proforce V2 90X

5-PW- Miura CB-301 🤯🤯🤯 C-Taper 120 S 

Wedges- Zipcore Blackout 50/54/58

Putters- Evnroll ER5 Hatchback Murdered

Titleist Hybrid 14

Ball- Bridgestone Tour B XS

Placeholder

:taylormade-small:  M3 460 9.5* - ACCRA TZ6 M5

:callaway-small:  X2 Hot Pro - 15* Aldila Tour Green X

TaylorMade Jetspeed 19* w Matrix HM9

Mizuno MP-63 4-P Project X 6.0

Cleveland RTX4 - 50, 54, 60

:odyssey-small:  Toulon Portland w P2 React Grip

:titelist-small: 2019 Players 4 -  :titelist-small: Pro V1

Placeholder

:cobra-small:  Speedzone White 9* Driver

:cobra-small: F9 14.5* 3W

:titelist-small: 818 H1 19* Hybrid

:Hogan: UiHi 19*  *Official Tester*

:Sub70: 699 Pro Black 5-PW

:cobra-small: MIM 50*, 55*, 60*

:taylormade-small: Spider Tour 34"

:taylormade-small: TP5x pix or yellow

-or-

:bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Placeholder

:cobra-small:             F7+ w/Fujikura Pro XLR8 Graphite Shaft

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png            STi   Irons 5-SW   KURO KAGE  70IR Flex-R  Lamkin Grips

:cobra-small:             King F6 Hybrid Matrix Red Tie HQ4 Graphite Shaft

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png           Forged FGT  60* wedge KURO KAGE 70R SS cross Comfort grip

:odyssey-small:           O-Putter 1W

Placeholder

2020 TESTER Ben Hogan UiHi 18* Utility Iron

• Driver: :ping-small: G410 Plus 9*, Oban Gold
  • Hybrids::adams-small:  Super XTD 17* Hybrid Fubuki AX:callaway-small:,  Apex 20* AD-DI 85S, Apex 23* Oban Purple
  • Irons: :srixon-small: Z585 5-6, Z785 7-PW, Modus 120s
  • Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX4 50, Modus 120x:taylormade-small:, Hi Toe 56 & 60, Modus 120x
  • Putter: :EVNROLL:  ER3 @ 33"

placeholder

------------------------------

Driver:  :cleveland-small: Classics XL 10.5 - Miyazaki Tour Issue 6 S-flex

Fairway:srixon-small: f65 15* - Miyazaki Kaula Mizo 5 R-flex

Hybrid:Hogan: 18* - Proforce V2 Stff

Irons:Hogan: PTxPro 4-PW - UST Mamiya Recoil 780 F4

Wedges:Hogan: Equalizer 50 Recoil F4, 56 and 60 with KBS Tour 90 Stiff

Putter:  :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red Sightline - double-bend black steel 34"

placeholder

2020 TESTER Ben Hogan UiHi 18* Utility Iron

Driver:     - Anser - 8.5* - Fujikara Red Blur 005 XStiff - Standard L/L

3W:     - SQ Sumo - Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana Stiff - Standard L/L

Hybrid 3:     - Machspeed - UST Mamiya AXIVCore XStiff -Standard L/L

Irons:      - Idea Black CB3  4-GW - KBS Tour Stiff+ - Standard L/L

Wedges:    - Vokey 52*, 54*, 60* - True Temper Wedge - Standard L/L

Putter:     - Versa Blade - 35in

Ball:      NXT Tour

Bag:  - Ultra Light Cart Bag  

Loc: USA/MD

Handicap: 13

placeholder

Driver : :callaway-small: Rogue SZ Evenflow 6.0 Stiff

Woods : TESTING :benhogan-small: GS53 3 Wood

Hybrids: :callaway-small: XR Project X Stiff (3&4)

Irons : :callaway-small: Mavrik True Temper Elevate 95 Stiff Steel (5-PW,AW)

Wedges : Bombtech 52,56,60

Putter : :taylormade-small:Spider Red

Bag : Datrek lightweight cart bag

Ball :  :taylormade-small: TP5x 

Rangefinder : TecTecTec DXLS

SoCal, USA

Right handed HDCP 15.1

Kanibi CBD Products Tester

placeholder

Currently Testing: :benhogan-small: GS53 3 Wood 

In my  :callaway-small: 2019 X-Cart Bag :  

:taylormade-small: M3 10.5* (TENSEI Blue 6R)

Condor Golf 3W 16* 

:mizuno-small: CLK 2017 18* & 22* 

:taylormade-small: M4 Irons 5-PW (KBS MAX 85g Stiff Steel Shafts, Std Length & Lie)

:Sub70: 48* AW

:vokey-small: SM5 56* & SM6 60*

:odyssey-small: White Hot 2 Ball 

image.png.7a412bf6006967dac3e5609984237cec.png  Grey 

Current Tech:

:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Rangefinder

:skycaddie: LX5 GPS Smartwatch

• GolfSpy Stroker changed the title to 2020 Official Member Review: Ben Hogan Golf ComPany-VKTR+, UiHi and GS53 FW

placeholder

My :1590477705_SunMountain: C-130 cart bag currently includes;

Driver: :srixon-small: z565 10.5*, Miyazaki Kaula Mizu 6 S-Flex
Fairways:  :callaway-small: X-Hot 15* & 18*, Project X PXv R-Flex
Irons: :benhogan-small:Apex Plus, 4-PW, Apex S4-Flex
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CG10; 50*, 54*, 58*, Dynamic Gold W-flex 

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot Pro Blade #2
Grips: Golf Pride MCC-Plus 4 & Lamkin UTx
Ball: Kirkland Signature 3-Piece 

placeholder

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Mizuno JPX EZ 3W, 14U

Cobra Fly-Z Hybrid 18.5

Titleist 816 H1 23

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

placeholder

Driver: PXG 0811 X Gen 2
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – AW: Taylormade P760
SW: Vokey SM7 M Grind
LW: Cleveland RTX 4 X-Low
Putter: Ping Vault Oslo

placeholder

Titleist 975J

Callaway Hawkeye 3 Wood

Ben Hogan CFT Hybrid, Apex Plus Irons

Cleveland 588 Wedges

Scotty Newport 2 Mid Slant Pro Platinum

1899402777_BeardofZeus.gif.7d58efe6f15e80067ccd0da895806f48.gif

18 Testers?!? Isn't it beautiful? This one is gonna be a blast to be a part of. Now Drumroll please.

Drum.gif.02e8ae011b569df4b69c96878ba854b2.gif

Will I use only Will Ferrell gifs this entire review? Oh I WILL. Now to introduce myself. I live in Atlanta, GA and play entirely too much golf. Luckily, my wife is a god send and gives me the green light for golf almost anytime I ask. Work from home due to COVID has allowed me some extra time to practice this year and I’ve shaved my handicap from a 9.5 to a 4.8 currently. My home courses in Atlanta are Cherokee Country Club and Heritage Golf Links. If you followed along with the SkyCaddie Lx5 review, this is my second product test this year and I’m pumped to be reviewing the Ben Hogan Hybrid.

As a TCU Alum and former Fort Worth resident, I’ve been a big fan of the Hawk and his namesake’s products. I’ve also had a hybrid in my bag since I was about 13. My first hybrid was a Tour Edge Bazooka cut down for my short early teenage height then I moved into a Taylormade RBZ Gen 1. I used this club for the last ~10 years and loved it, but this year the face finally wore down and I could see the face caving along the top line (RIP). I upgraded about 5 months ago into the Taylormade M6 hybrid to pair with my M6 Driver and 3 wood. While I’ve liked the club, I do miss the reliability of my RBZ. I’m looking to see if I can get a more consistent ball flight out of the Ben Hogan VKTR+. Hogan clubs also advertises the bulge-and-roll club face to help with off center shots which I’ll be testing to see if we can get some more consistent misses. I also have a Mizuno JPX 900 Tour 3 iron that I’ll test against. Let me know what you’re interested in seeing out of the hybrid. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

:taylormade-small: M6, 9.0, Tensei CK Orange 60, Stiff

:taylormade-small: M6, Rocket 13.0, Atmos Red 60, Stiff

:taylormade-small: RocketBallz, 4H 22.0

:mizuno-small: JPX 900 Tour, 4-PW, True Temper Dynamic gold S300

:callaway-small: Mack Daddy 4, 52.0, 56.0, 60.0 - S grind

:taylormade-small: Spider Mini

:bridgestone-small: Tour-RX

:Arccos: Smart Sensors