Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Knee pain, swing adjustments

I've had chronic but still off and on knee pain the last few years. Lately, it's been worse. I am trying to adjust my swing set-up to reduce re-injuring it. It seems the backswing is the culprit as I have trail knee pain. I came up with these set up ideas. Any other suggestions? extend knee in backswing, narrow stance and drop right leg back.

I have seen an ortho for this and he gave me the usual quad sets, exercises for calf and hamstring etc. It helps. But, I still stress the knee while golfing.

Edited by NC Golfer

Find a TPI medical 2 professional and have them evaluate you.

Getting medical related advice in the internet isnt a smart idea 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

1 hour ago, NC Golfer said:

I've had chronic but still off and on knee pain the last few years. Lately, it's been worse. I am trying to adjust my swing set-up to reduce re-injuring it. It seems the backswing is the culprit as I have trail knee pain. I came up with these set up ideas. Any other suggestions? extend knee in backswing, narrow stance and drop right leg back.

I have seen an ortho for this and he gave me the usual quad sets, exercises for calf and hamstring etc. It helps. But, I still stress the knee while golfing.

Spend the little extra money for a lesson! Having someone trained to work with you on your swing can help you tailor a swing that works with your unique situation.

Take it from someone who fixed their swing the hard way this year before having it all click thanks to a single tip. A large part of the reason for my swing change over this last year has been to reduce stress and pain on my back, knees and Achilles. A great side effect was that I've now found my happy-place where I hit a fairly consistent draw. . . . So if you can get to a happy and healthy point for the price of a few lessons instead of spending months figuring it out on your own, those months with significantly less pain and lower chances of medical expenses are worth it. 

Lessons are cheaper than surgery and rehab. 

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

2 hours ago, MNUte said:

Spend the little extra money for a lesson! Having someone trained to work with you on your swing can help you tailor a swing that works with your unique situation.

Take it from someone who fixed their swing the hard way this year before having it all click thanks to a single tip. A large part of the reason for my swing change over this last year has been to reduce stress and pain on my back, knees and Achilles. A great side effect was that I've now found my happy-place where I hit a fairly consistent draw. . . . So if you can get to a happy and healthy point for the price of a few lessons instead of spending months figuring it out on your own, those months with significantly less pain and lower chances of medical expenses are worth it. 

Lessons are cheaper than surgery and rehab. 

Thanks, MNUte and RickyBobby_PR. A TPI or golf pro would be a good idea. I do have a golf fitness place locally, they have PT's and fitness coaches. I may need to bite the bullet and at least get evaluated.

• 1 month later...

I'm sorry to hear that you have been experiencing some knee pain. It can be difficult to come up with some good swing set-ups as the body is always changing and it's really hard to predict what might work best. One thing that might help is if you can find a way to make your backswing feel more natural, by swinging the club in a more upward motion rather than a downward motion. This will help maintain a neutral spine, which will help minimize stress on your lower.

Edited by mattpobrien4

I understand you very well. The best thing is for you to see a doctor. I can give you some advice. I can give you some advice that will help you with your knee pain. First you have to reduce the intensity of discomfort, it will help cooling. To the knees is laid for 10-15 minutes bag with ice cubes, wrapped in a thick cloth. Pharmacies and medical equipment stores sell sports bandages that are comfortable to wear and do not restrict movement. Doctors recommend using them during training to reduce the likelihood of injury. But I was also helped by pharmaceuticals . I honestly don't remember what kind of moving company it was. I just had some really bad pain in my shoulder not too long ago. I tried it that way. And it relieved me a little bit. 

Edited by geralndionio